May 01, 2024, 05:22:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Channon Christian 21, Missing TN - BF Chris Newsom found dead (BODY FOUND)  (Read 97148 times)
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 10:14:20 AM »

There was 500 photos taken of the crime scene and although they were not shown in court as they were so graphic the details were released in the autopsy report.

These people sexually mutilated each victim while they were alive "tortured" and then killed them.

I will not say it any different then that.

This crime was a racial motivated attack and murder.

jmho
MunkeyMunk
Scared Monkey

MONAVIE- Drink it. Feel it. Share it.

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »

very very sad
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 11:16:35 AM »

There was 500 photos taken of the crime scene and although they were not shown in court as they were so graphic the details were released in the autopsy report.

These people sexually mutilated each victim while they were alive "tortured" and then killed them.

I will not say it any different then that.

This crime was a racial motivated attack and murder.

jmho

I agree Edward.

They did end up showing pics in court of the autopsies....it was heart wrenching watching the families having to see these.  And Cobbins put his hand over his face while they were showing them - true POS!

I thought Channon's dad was going to explode and honestly I dont know how he held back.

Cobbins got LWOP and the next trial starts Monday.  As Mr. Christian said "one down, four to go". 

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 11:18:40 AM »

Updated: 6:25 PM Oct 2, 2009

Jury picked in Lemaricus Davidson murder trial

Posted: 1:11 PM Oct 2, 2009

The jury has been picked for accused killer Lemaricus Davidson's trial, after nearly two weeks worth of questioning jurors.

The final jury consists of seven women and five men. The only minority is a black man, and all six alternates are white.

Davidson is the accused ringleader in the January 2007 carjacking, rape, and murder of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom.

Davidson has demanded a Knox County jury, even though Judge Richard Baumgartner has said this case has received more publicity than any other case he's seen.

Finding a fair and unbiased jury brought eight days worth of individually questioning hundreds of jurors.

Knoxville defense attorney Bruce Poston says the makeup of the jury isn't surprising.

"It's a typical Knox County jury. They're aren't many minorities in panels," Poston said.

If those jurors selected Friday find Davidson guilty, then they'll also decide whether or not he gets the death penalty.

Poston says more women jurors could help the defense.

"A lot of theory is that it's harder for a woman to sign her name to a death penalty," Poston said.

While Davidson's attorneys David Eldridge and Doug Trant questioned jurors, they also hinted at what they'll argue.

A tactic defense attorney Phil Lomonaco say is key.

"You start opening up the jurors minds about the case," Lomonaco said.

Eldridge told jurors they'll hear how his DNA was on Christian's body and clothes. Plus, police collected a slew of evidence from Davidson's home.

But, Eldridge said that doesn't mean Davidson's guilty of murder.

Poston says it's better to face unavoidable information now.

"Every case how good cards and bad cards, and don't ignore the bad cards. It may some sting the sting out," Poston said.

Jurors will were told to ignore media coverage. A pair of trial delays mean what will be a sequestered jury will be out and about for the next two weeks.

"It is a risk," Poston said.

Both Poston and Lomonaco agree most jurors typically do the right thing.

"They really do take their job seriously," Poston said.

"The vast majority of jurors follow the judges instructions," Lomonaco said.

Judge Baumgartner added three extra alternates, hoping to protect against any problems during the delay.

Those three jurors will be excused, once the trial begins, if they're not needed.

Davidson's trial is set for October 19th.

----------

http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/63283827.html

Ariana
Scared Monkey

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »

Updated: 6:25 PM Oct 2, 2009

Jury picked in Lemaricus Davidson murder trial

Posted: 1:11 PM Oct 2, 2009

The jury has been picked for accused killer Lemaricus Davidson's trial, after nearly two weeks worth of questioning jurors.

The final jury consists of seven women and five men. The only minority is a black man, and all six alternates are white.

Davidson is the accused ringleader in the January 2007 carjacking, rape, and murder of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom.

Davidson has demanded a Knox County jury, even though Judge Richard Baumgartner has said this case has received more publicity than any other case he's seen.

Finding a fair and unbiased jury brought eight days worth of individually questioning hundreds of jurors.

Knoxville defense attorney Bruce Poston says the makeup of the jury isn't surprising.

"It's a typical Knox County jury. They're aren't many minorities in panels," Poston said.

If those jurors selected Friday find Davidson guilty, then they'll also decide whether or not he gets the death penalty.

Poston says more women jurors could help the defense.

"A lot of theory is that it's harder for a woman to sign her name to a death penalty," Poston said.

While Davidson's attorneys David Eldridge and Doug Trant questioned jurors, they also hinted at what they'll argue.

A tactic defense attorney Phil Lomonaco say is key.

"You start opening up the jurors minds about the case," Lomonaco said.

Eldridge told jurors they'll hear how his DNA was on Christian's body and clothes. Plus, police collected a slew of evidence from Davidson's home.

But, Eldridge said that doesn't mean Davidson's guilty of murder.

Poston says it's better to face unavoidable information now.

"Every case how good cards and bad cards, and don't ignore the bad cards. It may some sting the sting out," Poston said.

Jurors will were told to ignore media coverage. A pair of trial delays mean what will be a sequestered jury will be out and about for the next two weeks.

"It is a risk," Poston said.

Both Poston and Lomonaco agree most jurors typically do the right thing.

"They really do take their job seriously," Poston said.

"The vast majority of jurors follow the judges instructions," Lomonaco said.

Judge Baumgartner added three extra alternates, hoping to protect against any problems during the delay.

Those three jurors will be excused, once the trial begins, if they're not needed.

Davidson's trial is set for October 19th.

----------

http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/63283827.html

I tend to disagree, this woman is a tie 'em and fry them type of gal and I have even persuaded a anti death penalty person (really anti death penalty to the point of participating in functions to prevent it) to change her mind.  Send those jurors to me, we'll have a fabulous talk about the dp without talking about the case.
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 02:48:53 PM »

Ariana - i agree with you.  Actually, I think these getting the DP is not good enough for them.  They all need to be tortured just like they did to these innocent kids.  I will never be able to understand how people get this messed up to do this crap to other people.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 05:16:47 PM »

Update: Judge reprimands and restricts Christian and Newsom families

The 15 member Knox County jury has been sworn in and briefed on Lemaricus Davidson's indictment.

Unlike his brother and co-defendant Letalvis Cobbins, Davidson pleaded not guilty to all charges against him.

During Cobbins' trial, he pleaded guilty to 6 counts of the 38 count presentment.

Assistant District Attorney Takisha Fitzgerald started the opening statements for Davidson's trial, by walking jurors through the timeline of the crimes.

Fitzgerald caused three women on the jury to become emotional as she talked about how officers found Christian stuffed in a trash can and Newsom's shoeless burned body.

David Eldridge delivered opening statements for the defense. Eldridge told jurors they would see awful pictures, but the photos would not prove that Davidson killed the couple.

Eldridge also said that Davidson's DNA on body does not prove that he hurt or killed Christian. "All the DNA evidence in this case, all it's going to show you at the end of this trial is that Mr. Davidson had vaginal, vaginal intercourse with Ms. Christian.

The defense also gave jurors a preview of their intent to introduce new DNA that give jurors more "unanswered questions then answers" and some reasonable doubt.

The first witness called by the state was Newsom's best friend Josh Anderson. Anderson's testimony was similar to what he told the court during the Letalvis Cobbins trial in August.

Anderson talked about how he went to the Washington Ridge Apartments looking for Newsom and Christian and found Newsom's truck still in the parking lot. Anderson said he took his golf clubs out of the back of the truck.

However, during cross examination, Doug Trant asked Anderson what else he took out of the truck. Anderson admitted he and another friend took Newsom's weed out of the vehicle. The state objected and Anderson's cross examination soon afterwards.

The testimony apparently led to the Newsom family approaching Trant during a court recess.

After a bench conference, Judge Richard Baumgartner passionately reprimanded the Newsoms for comments they made to Trant. The judge went on to tell the families they are not to approach the lawyers or talk to the media or public about the court appointed attorneys.

The judge threatened to shut the families out of the courtroom if they approached or talked about the defense attorneys publicly.

Davidson Background

While searching for a missing UT student, Channon Christian's friends and family found her silver Toyota Four Runner on Chipman Street on January 7, 2007.

Earlier that day, a train engineer found the burned body of her boyfriend Chris Newsom. He was tied, shot and wrapped in a comforter near the train tracks, not far from Chipman Street.

On January 9, 2007, a Knoxville Police fingerprint expert found the thumbprint of Lemaricus Davidson on a bank envelope inside Christian's recovered SUV. That forensic breakthrough, led police to Davidson's residence at 2316 Chipman Street.

Later that Tuesday afternoon, a KPD SWAT team stormed the empty house to find Christian's body inside a 32-gallon trash can.

On January 11th, investigators tracked Davidson to a vacant house at 1800 Reynolds Street. The Memphis native was pulled out of a broken window. Officers also found a black revolver and a pair of Newsom's Nike tennis shoes.

TBI DNA Serologist Jennifer Milsaps later found Davidson's DNA on Christian's body and her clothes.

KPD fingerprint analysts went on to find Davidson's fingerprints on Christian's Blockbuster video rental card, her paystub and on the trashbags that wrapped her body.

The forensic evidence against Davidson is only one of the reasons investigators believe he is the ringleader in the carjacking, kidnapping and murders of Christian and Newsom.

A criminal history that includes carjacking and aggravated robbery also caught the attention of state and federal investigators.

On September 6, 2000, witnesses at a Jackson, Tennessee gas station heard a woman screaming for help. Catherine Hall told investigators two men took her money and her SUV at gunpoint.

She later identified Davidson as the man who pointed a gun at her face while she made a phone call.

Davidson and his co-defendant were sentenced to 8 years in prison for carjacking and aggravated robbery.

He served more than 5 years and was released in August 2006.

Davidson moved to East Tennessee and reunited with Knoxville native Vincent Wernimont. The men met while they were inmates at West Tennessee State Penetentiary.

In October 2006, Daphne Sutton and Lemaricus Davidson moved into 2316 Chipman Street.

In December, Sutton told investigators that Davidson's brother Letalvis Cobbins, his girlfriend Vanessa Coleman and George Thomas came from Lebanon, Kentucky to stay with them.

Sutton testified she left Davidson after a physical fight with him the week Christian and Newsom were killed.

She told officers she returned to the house after Davidson called her to come pick up some gifts on January 7. Sutton said Thomas, Coleman, Cobbins and Davidson were all in the house when she arrived. She said someone was in the bathroom when she arrived Sunday afternoon, but Davidson would not let her go inside.

Davidson's younger brother Letalvis Cobbins, was convicted for Christian's murder by a Nashville jury in August 2009. The panel also gave Cobbins life in prison without the possibility of parole.

During Cobbins' trial, his relatives testified that Davidson was a hot-tempered drug dealer who taught his brother to cook crack to make money.

Now, the 28-year old Memphis native is facing execution if he is convicted for premediated murder.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=102170&catid=2
  ** 96COMMENTS

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »

Torture-slaying trial, Day 2: Witness puts Davidson behind wheel of victim's vehicle

updated October 20, 2009 at 5:57 p.m.

KNOXVILLE - An eyewitness this afternoon put the alleged ringleader of a torture slaying behind the wheel of one of the victim's Toyota 4Runner.

There was just one problem with Daniel Williams' account.

He thought it was in February 2007. Channon Christian, the owner of the vehicle, and boyfriend Christopher Newsom were slain a month earlier.

Williams told jurors he was a drug customer of slaying suspect Lemaricus Davidson's and went to his Chipman Street house to buy cocaine.

As he arrived he said he saw Davidson drive "around the corner" to his house in a "silver Toyota 4Runner."

"Slim was driving," he said of Davidson. "He stopped. He said, 'I don't have anything.' Two other (men) got out of the vehicle. When I asked him where he got the car, he said he bought it for $4500."

He said a day later, he returned to Davidson's house and met him in the back yard.

"There were helicopters flying overhead," he said. "(Davidson) said they found a woman's body on the railroad tracks."

Williams said the encounter occurred around the same time he heard about the discovery of Newson's body. But when asked for a general date, he said February.

He later conceded his drug use clouded his memory of dates but not events.

"The days and dates I could not tell you," he said.

Earlier today, the prosecution opted to face head-on defense allegations that Christian and Newsom may have used drugs.

Prosecutor Takisha Fitzgerald sent Newsom's mother, Mary Newsom, to the witness stand and asked her pointedly about whether she knew that her son took a drug called Adderall and smoked marijuana.

"I never knew he did," she said. "I didn't find out till the trial."

The defense seems to be suggesting in cross-examination that Newsom and Christian were in the Chipman Street area to buy drugs before they were slain.

Fitzgerald is actively trying to combat the notion that simply because Newsom had drugs in his system, and Christian had an Adderall pill in her vehicle that did not mean they would have bought the drugs from Davidson.

"Do you have to go to East Knoxville to buy dope?" Fitzgerald asked.

Mary Newsom responded, "No, it's my understanding you can buy it everywhere."

Christian's mother, Deena Christian, said she knew Newsom smoked pot, and her daughter sometimes took Adderall.

Friends of Christian and Newsom have testified that they had no idea where Chipman Street (which is in North Knoxville) was located and never heard the couple mention going to the area.

Davidson denied in his statement to police knowing the couple or ever seeing them in his neighborhood.

The defense is continuing, via cross-examination, to label the slayings the result not of a carjacking gone bad but a drug deal gone bad.

Earlier today, defense attorney David Eldridge elicited testimony from Knoxville Police Department fingerprint expert Dan Crenshaw that an Adderall pill was mixed in with an anxiety disorder drug prescribed to Christian.

The pill bottle was found in the glove compartment of her Toyota 4Runner, which had been wiped down and abandoned on Chipman Street near Davidson's house.

Defense attorney Doug Trant on Monday used cross-examination to show that there was marijuana in Newsom's truck and a Hydrocodone pill bottle in the Toyota that had been prescribed for a friend of Christian.

Toxicology reports showed a small amount of alcohol in Christian's system and a mix of marijuana and amphetamines in Newsom's system.

Adderall is an amphetamine-based stimulant.

Also on Monday, Eldridge told jurors in his opening statement that the "gang from Kentucky" - co-defendants Letalvis Cobbins, Davidson's brother, George Thomas and Vanessa Coleman - killed the couple and left behind "all the evidence conveniently to be found in Mr. Davidson's home."

Cobbins was convicted in August of rape and murder and is serving a life without parole prison sentence. Thomas and Coleman are awaiting trial.

Cobbins testified in his defense that Davidson led the carjacking, and the couple was grabbed while they embraced outside Christian's 4Runner.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/oct/20/torture-slaying-trial-day-2-defense-suggests-drug-/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 08:53:07 PM »

Victims' families: 'They're trying to trash our kids'

Updated: Oct 20, 2009 6:10 PM EDT

KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- After being questioned Tuesday in the LeMaricus Davidson trial, the families of the Christian-Newsom murder victims said the defense is trying to trash their kids.

Davidson is the alleged ringleader in the January 2007 carjacking, rapes and murders of Channon Christian and her boyfriend, Christopher Newsom. The crimes occurred on or about January 7.

The state is seeking the death penalty.

Fingerprint analyst: 100% sure on Davidson match

Knoxville police fingerprint expert Dan Crenshaw returned to the stand Tuesday morning. He began his testimony Monday afternoon.

On cross examination, defense attorney David Eldridge asked about a hydrocodone bottle found in Christian's stolen Toyota 4Runner. Crenshaw said he didn't fingerprint the bottle.

Eldridge asked if Crenshaw ever processed Newsom's truck? Crenshaw said he didn't and that it never arrived at the police impound lot.

There were five trash bags around Christian's body which was found in a house on Chipman Street, plus a bag on her face. No identifiable print was found on the white bag.

Crenshaw said the white bag had fluids from Christian and it, "makes a difficult medium for prints." There were no fingerprints from Davidson, only palm prints on those trash bags.

Crenshaw said distortions can affect print IDs, and those IDs require verification by another analyst, under Knoxville Police Department policy.

The defense brought up a recent study that shows big flaws in fingerprint matching.

Crenshaw acknowledged that mistakes are made all the time, but said, "If I was 99.9 percent sure I would not make the match, but I am sure it's Davidson's prints."

"I have to be 100 percent sure before I make a match," Crenshaw said when Eldridge pressed him about the subjective nature of fingerprint analysis.

Then a juror submitted a written question that asked if Crenshaw was 100 percent sure about the Davidson match. After the attorneys reviewed the question, Crenshaw answered yes.

SWAT team finds Christian, arrests Davidson

The state called Officer Keith Debow, with the police department SWAT team, to the stand. He entered the Chipman Street house on January 9, 2007.

Debow said he and another officer saw the trash can. "It appeared out of shape. It looked like someone was in there."

After he removed the trash can lid, he saw Christian's body and determined that she seemed to be dead.

The state showed a photo of the open trash can. Several people in court were visibly shaken.

Debow described the arrest of Davidson at a house on Reynolds Street. He said the SWAT team panned a tear gas attack if Davidson put up resistance. The officers pulled him out of a window.

Debow described Davidson as "running his mouth" when he was arrested and telling officers, "You don't know what's going on."

CSI documented scene at Chipman Street house

The state called a crime scene investigator with the Knoxville Police Department, Joe Cox, to the stand.

Cox went to the Chipman Street house on the afternoon of January 9 after Christian's body was found. He photographed and filmed the scene.

Cox identified several photos he took inside the house including those of an air mattress with a red stain on it, Christian's iPod in a bedroom and cartridges and gun magazine in the living room.

More photos showed weight scales with white powder, 22 long rifle shells and empty boxes.

One photo showed a DVD of "The Manchurian Candidate" checked out from a library in Marion County, Kentucky. Three of the defendants in this case, Davidson's half-brother, Letalvis Cobbins, George Thomas and Vanessa Coleman were arrested in the county seat, Lebanon.

Investigators said last week they think Thomas had checked out the DVD.

Cobbins was convicted in August in this case and sentenced to life without parole. The trial for Thomas is scheduled to be held after Davidson's.

Another of Cox's photos showed a gas can in the kitchen. Chris Newsom's body was burned and experts testified Monday they detected gasoline had been used.

Another photo showed a spray container of bleach in the kitchen. Analysts believe bleach was put down Christian's throat at some point after she was kidnapped and raped.

Cox photographed several items found in a garbage bag including receipts from the Sunspot restaurant on Cumberland Avenue that were signed by Christian and a picture of her mother, Deena.

He identified the trash can where Christian's body was found when prosecutor Leland Price brought it to the stand.

After a lunch break, Cox returned to the stand and described his video of the Chipman Street house. Christian's parents were visibly upset as they saw the trash can with their daughter in it.

In the defense's cross examination, attorney David Eldridge asked Cox if he knew the shoe size of Eric Boyd, who was convicted in federal court in October 2008 as accessory after the fact to murder, but never charged with the slayings. He was sentenced to 18 years in prison.

Cox said he didn't know Boyd's shoe size. The shoes were in the house where Davidson was arrested. Boyd led officers to that house.

Newsom's mother didn't know about drug use until trial

Mary Newsom said as Chris was leaving the house the night of the carjacking, he told her he didn't want to eat because he was taking Channon to dinner. She added that he seemed to be "on cloud nine" about dating Channon.

She said she told him to be careful, which was what she always said.

She said she didn't know until the trial that Chris smoked marijuana. In testimony Monday, Chris' best friend testified that he removed marijuana from Chris' truck after he went missing.

Prosecutor Takisha Fitzgerald made the point that Chris and Channon were kidnapped and taken to East Knoxville, rather than going there to buy drugs.

Mary testified that she'd never heard of Davidson and didn't think Chris knew him.

She identified some of his ball caps and his belt. She said he always wore a belt, but it wasn't in the same condition as she remembered. His belt was found helping bind his body along the railroad tracks near Chipman Street.

On cross examination, defense attorney Doug Trant asked Mary if she knew where her son bought his marijuana or his amphetamines.

Mary said she didn't know because she didn't know he used either one.

Christian's mother describes mounting concern, search

When the state called Deena Christian to the stand, she said Channon was offered pot in middle school and her son has a prescription for adderall. She said Channon used it sometimes to study.

Deena said her family sold Channon's 4Runner for $25,000 after it was returned to them.

Deena said Channon called home around 5:00 the day of her disappearance and said she was going to a party with Chris. Channon called again later that night and said she was coming home. By 3:00 a.m., Deena said she was worried.

On Sunday, Deena said she kept calling Channon's cell phone. Then the manager at the shoe store where Channon worked called, asking why she didn't show up for work.

Deena said she was able to call the cell phone company and get the location of Channon's last call because the account was in her name. The call turned out to be on Cherry Street.

She said Channon didn't know any of the defendants in this case.

Deena said family and friends began a grid search around Cherry Street and found Channon's 4Runner on Chipman Street. She had reported her missing to the sheriff's office.

She said she unlocked the 4Runner for officers. The seats were leaned back and there was mud everywhere in the back.

Deena said Channon couldn't take hydrocodone because it made her sick. However, a bottle was found in the 4Runner.

She said after Newsom's body was identified, everybody got involved in the search and "Everyone went crazy."

Deena identified several of Channon's possessions, some in photos and some at the stand. They included her iPod, a camisole and a sweater she said was brand new. Those items were all found in the Chipman Street house.

On cross examination, the defense asked Deena about Channon's call to their home at 12:30 a.m. She said her husband, Gary, spoke to Channon, but he thought she sounded fine and hadn't felt any cause for alarm.

Victims' families upset by defense strategy

During a break, 6 News asked the victims' families for their thoughts on the defense strategy regarding their children.

"They're trying to trash our kids," Deena Christian said.

Mary Newsom added, "I think it's totally ridiculous. He's (Chris) not the one on trial. Those kids were totally innocent, completely innocent."

Rental manager tried and failed to collect

The state next called James Mitchell, who managed the rental of the Chipman Street house. He was given a copy of the one year lease agreement and said Davidson and his then girlfriend, Daphne Sutton, signed it.

Mitchell said he tried to collect the rent in December 2006 and on January 7, 2007 and Davidson told him to come back in a couple of days. He said when he returned, the house was taped off as a crime scene.

Former girlfriend of defendant wrote letter to Davidson

George Thomas' former girlfriend, Stacey Lawson, took the stand for the state. She said Thomas lived with her at the time of the crimes.

Lawson said she knew Davidson, Cobbins and Coleman as well and visited the Chipman Street house in Knoxville three times with a group in December 2006.

On her third trip on December 28, Lawson said she drove Cobbins and others to the Chipman Street house and Sutton had moved out.

Lawson described the weapons in the house and said Davidson let her fire a revolver into the air on New Year's Eve.

The state entered a silver gun carried by Cobbins, an assault rifle in Davidson's bedroom and the revolver as evidence.

Lawson said she felt uncomfortable and left Knoxville on January 2 and next heard from the others on the 10th. She learned that Cobbins, Thomas and Coleman were back in Kentucky and met with them.

She described looking on a computer and seeing Cobbins was wanted in Knoxville. Later, she told police where to find the suspects.

When asked if she'd ever seen the victims or the Toyota 4Runner, Lawson said no.

On cross examination, defense attorney Doug Trant asked Lawson when she started helping law enforcement and was it after she realized she might get in trouble herself. She said, "Yes."

Lawson told Trant she never saw Davidson sell drugs and never saw drugs being exchanged at the Chipman Street house. She admitted to smoking weed and taking oxycontin once.

Trant asked if other people fired the revolver on New Year's Eve and Lawson said yet. The shell casings stayed in it.

Lawson also admitted to Trant that she sent a letter to Davidson in February saying she wanted to have sex with him and should've taken the chance when they had it.

The jury asked Lawson if she knew what the group was planning to do regarding the crimes and if that was why she felt uncomfortable and left Knoxville beforehand. She said no.

That was followed by another jury question, asking Lawson if she'd ever seen the defendants smoke and what kind of cigarettes? She said that Thomas, Cobbins, Coleman and herself all smoked Newports. An empty pack of Newports was found in Christian's 4Runner.

Drug user saw Davidson in 4Runner

An admitted drug user took the stand next and testified that he used to buy drugs from Davidson. He also said during the time of the crimes, he saw Davidson and others in the 4Runner.

He said he'd never seen Christian or Newsom before.

Ex-girlfriend's best friend admits drug use

The state called Daphne Sutton's best friend, Taylor Shadix, to the stand. She said when Sutton and Davidson would break up, he would call Shadix looking for Sutton.

Shadix also said she gave Davidson a ride at one point and he had a handgun with him.

On cross examination, Shadix admitted to defense attorney Doug Trant that she's a recovering addict who used to take oxycontin. She said she got some oxycontin from Davidson and that Daphne also took the drug.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11343844

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 08:54:17 PM »

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11343844

Previous links at the link above:

Judge warns victim's family about comments to defense attorneys
FBI investigating death threats against Davidson defense team
Davidson's case not dismissed despite mishandled letter
Court hears motions to suppress statements in Thomas trial
Davidson defense enters new DNA evidence in Christian-Newsom murders
Judge allows police station interview in Davidson trial
Jury seated in Davidson trial
Judge extends Davidson trial delay due to scheduling conflict
Judge delays Davidson trial for special DNA testing
Defense asks for new DNA testing in Davidson trial
New DNA in Christian - Newsom murders belongs to TBI lab tech
Four suspects charged with murder in Knoxville double slaying

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 01:22:29 PM »

I hope he fries!

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 11:31:12 AM »

If anyone is interested, here are the links I am following during the trial:

http://www.wbir.com/video/breakingvideo.aspx

http://twitter.com/jamiescoop

http://twitter.com/search?q=wbirymartinez

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 05:43:55 PM »

I watched the medical examiner's testimony today and I am at a loss for words.  One of the DA assistants passed out while they were showing the pictures of Channons autopsy so I cant even begin to imagine how horrible it is for the families to see and hear about the last horrific hours of their childrens lives.

I am so thankful the POS left his DNA all over her.  That in itself should guarantee justice for these two...RIP Channon & Chris   an angelic monkey 

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 09:43:37 PM »

Thanks Leroy
~~~~~

Updated: 5:48 PM Oct 23, 2009

Lemaricus Davidson trial, day 5

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- The jury in the Lemaricus Davidson murder trial will not see pictures of Channon Christian, 21, and Christopher Newsom, 23, while they were alive, but the pictures they did see are too graphic for us to show you, but the jury saw them Thursday along with testimony from the medical examiner about how they died in January 2007.

The photos are upsetting for the victims' parents to see over and over again. At one point, a young attorney with the DA's office fainted. We're told she's OK.

It's a lot of evidence for the jury to consider.

The crimes were so gruesome that the Knox County Medical Examiner had to explain what the jury saw in crime-scene photos.

The medical examiner described the injuries Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom suffered.

As the jurors listened, the victims' families wiped their tears.

The medical examiner testified Newsom was shot in neck, back, and head a couple hours after being raped.

Dr. Darinka Mileusnic-Polchan says, "I can only say for certainty the wound in the head is the one that killled him."

Christian, the medical examiner said, suffered a rape far more severe than most, before her body was stuffed in trash can, where she suffocated.

Prosecutors spent Friday trying to link accused killer Lemaricus Davidson to the crimes.

TBI Forensic Analyst Jennifer Millsaps says, "The minor contributor matches exhibit 68A, Lemaricus Davidson."

Millsaps testified Newsom's rape kit identified only Newsom's DNA, but said she found Davidson's DNA in Christian's body and on her clothes.

Defense attorney David Eldridge says, "Biological fluids can transfer from a person's body to their clothing and to another part of their body, just like in the example we just talked about?"

"Yes," Millsaps said.

The defense has told the jury Davidson had intercourse with Christian, but he's pleaded not guilty to rape.

The defense has raised questions about what, if any, drugs Christian and Newsom used.

Christian's toxicology report shows no drugs. Newsom's report shows he had an amphetamine, marijuana, and a trace amount of alcohol in his system.

The defense still hasn't specifically said why they're raising questions about drugs.

Another issue is that a defense witness has asked the judge not to make her testify, despite receiving a subpoena.

She says she's afraid because of the death threats made against the defense team.

The defense is set to cross examine the medial examiner Saturday.

-----

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- An employee with the Knox County District Attorney General's Office fainted during court shortly after 4 p.m. Trial testimony was temporarily halted.

-----

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- A defense witness in accused killer Lemaricus Davidson's murder trial says she's afraid to testify, according to court documents filed Friday.

Witness Susan Hill has asked the court to quash her subpoena to testify.

The filed motion says Hill believes she doesn't have any "admissible information about the alleged murder case."

The document also says Hill "may possess information about past contact between Mr. Davidson and one of the victims in this case, that contact included actions, which, if disclosed, could possibly subject her to criminal prosecution."

Hill is aware of death threats made against Davidson's defenders and she "fears for her personal safety and that of her family" if she's forced to testify, the motion reads.

Hill's attorney has requested the judge to disallow media coverage of her testimony, if he denies the motion to quash her testimony.

In court Friday, Special Agent Jennifer Millsaps testified her tests found Davidson's DNA in Christian's vaginal and anal swabs, as well as on multiple locations her jeans.

Millsaps also said she identified DNA from co-defendant Letalvis Cobbins in Christian's mouth and on her sweater and camisole.

Floral bedding discovered stuffed in a trashcan with Christian's body had DNA from Christian, Cobbins, and co-defendant Vanessa Coleman, Millsaps testified.

Friday marks the end of the first week of Lemaricus Davidson's trial for allegedly carjacking, kidnapping, raping and murdering Channon Christian, 21, and Christopher Newsom, 23, in January 2007.

In opening statements earlier this week, the defense told the jury Davidson had "vaginal intercourse" with Christian, and said the DNA doesn't prove he killed her.

Davidson defender David Eldridge said that DNA can be transferred from one spot to another, referring to Christian's jeans, and Millsaps agreed.

Also, Eldridge pointed out Newsom's rape kit only identified Newsom's DNA.

Shortly after Millsaps took the stand, a male juror told the court he went to high school with Millsaps and said they were friends.

The juror told the judge he never dated Millsaps and hadn't seen her since they graduated in 1995.

The juror told Judge Richard Baumgartner that would not affect how he considered Millsap's testimony.

"I just thought it should be disclosed," the juror said.

"As long as you can assure you will listen to this testimony and weigh and consider any other witness, that's what we want you to do," Judge Richard Baumgartner said. "Can you do that?"

"Yes," the juror responded.

Neither prosecutors nor the defense expressed concerns about the juror staying.

The state is expected to call the Knox County Medical Examiner Friday afternoon.

Unlike Davidson's half brother, Letalvis Cobbins, who has already had his day in court, Davidson requested a Knox County Jury.

http://www.volunteertv.com/knox/headlines/65760692.html#

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2009, 05:32:03 PM »

UPDATE: Davidson's decision deadline is Monday
A Knox County judge has given accused killer Lemaricus Davidson until Monday to decide whether or not he will testify in his double-murder trial.
Posted: 9:22 AM Oct 24, 2009
Reporter: Mike McCarthy

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- A Knox County judge has given accused killer Lemaricus Davidson until Monday to decide whether or not he will testify in his double-murder trial.

The prosecution has rested it's case against Davidson Saturday morning.

Day six of Davidson's trial began with Judge Baumgartner denying a request by Davidson's attorneys for a mistrial, based on a lawyer with the district attorney's office fainting during graphic testimony.

Defense attorney David Eldridge argued the jury saw the lawyer faint and that could prejudice the jury.

Also, Eldridge said the photo being shown at the time was a photo the the defense argued shouldn't have been admitted in the trial originally.

The judge denied the request, but told the jury not to take the lawyer's or anyone in the courtroom's reaction into consideration when deciding it's verdict.

Lawyer Karen Manning fainted Friday afternoon while Knox County Medical Examiner Dr. Darinka Mileusnic-Polchan was testifying about the injuries Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom suffered.

The medical examiner's testimony was accompanied by graphic autopsy and crime scene photos.

Manning told the court she reacted to pictures as a whole, not just the single photo.

Davidson's on trial for allegedly carjacking, kidnapping, raping and murdering Channon Christian, 21, and Christopher Newsom, 23, in January 2007.

Davidson's defense team is to cross-examined Knox County Medical Examiner Dr. Darinka Mileusnic-Polchan, questionning Christian's time of death and how Davidson's DNA could have gotten inside Christian's body.

Unlike Davidson's half brother, Letalvis Cobbins, who has already had his day in court, Davidson requested a Knox County Jury.

Volunteer TV's Mike McCarthy is at the courthouse, and he'll be providing updates all day on Volunteer TV News and on VolunteerTV.com. You can also follow his updates on Twitter. Just follow @WVLT.

http://www.volunteertv.com/news/headlines/65896817.html

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2009, 05:35:37 PM »

I hope Davidson doesn't testify...he will just blame everything on the others just like his brother did.  I believe the reason why Cobbins only got LWOP was because they cant prove who actually killed them since they are putting the blame on each other.

The judge said today that the case should be in the jury's hands on Monday....i guess that would depend on whether he testifies.  I cant wait to hear the defenses' closing arguments.

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2009, 11:37:31 AM »

Davidson did not testify on his behalf.....the defense has rested and we will hear closing arugements after lunch. 

At one point the judge was unsure about allowing some evidence the defense wanted to submit - he finally allowed it saying "Not going to give you anything to appeal; it's that simple".    

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2009, 10:26:29 PM »

Even though I am talking to myself here   

The defense will do their closing arguement tomorrow morning...the state did their's today and it was stellar!

I will pray tonight for Justice for Channon and Chris...they deserve it!

Ariana
Scared Monkey

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 10:29:11 PM »

Davidson did not testify on his behalf.....the defense has rested and we will hear closing arugements after lunch. 

At one point the judge was unsure about allowing some evidence the defense wanted to submit - he finally allowed it saying "Not going to give you anything to appeal; it's that simple".    

You're not talking to yourself!  I was thinking earlier that this sounds like the judge has already made up his mind that the guy did it.  That is why he wants no options open for appeal, so they guy doesn't get another chance.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2009, 10:36:13 PM »

Hoping there will be justice for Channon Christian and Chris Newsom, both victims of heinous crimes.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.