April 26, 2024, 12:22:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FBI INVESTIGATING DEATH OF 32 YEAR OLD WOMAN ON CARNIVAL CRUISE SHIP  (Read 5922 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« on: February 21, 2010, 10:00:38 PM »

http://www.khou.com/news/FBI-investigates-cruise-ship-death-84863242.html

Brazoria County woman found dead aboard cruise ship

by T.J. Aulds / The Daily News

Posted on February 20, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Updated today at 11:36 AM
Related:
Galveston Daily News Web site

GALVESTON — The FBI is investigating the death of a Brazoria County woman whose body was discovered in her stateroom aboard a Carnival cruise ship that docked in Galveston on Saturday, an agency spokeswoman said.

Kipi Holcomb, 32, who once took a college course that included a semester aboard a cruise ship, died Monday aboard the cruise ship Ecstasy.

The FBI was notified Monday, the same day the Ecstasy set sail from Galveston, that Holcomb’s body was found in her stateroom. Agents traveled to the ship’s next port of call Progresso, Mexico, on Tuesday to launch an investigation, FBI Special Agent Shauna Dunlap said.

The FBI has jurisdiction for crimes on vessels that sail in international waters from U.S. ports.

Dunlap called the investigation routine to determine if the woman’s death was a result of foul play. So far, there is no evidence to indicate there was any foul play, she said.

Holcomb’s body was taken to the Galveston County Medical Examiner’s Office after the ship docked at the Port of Galveston early Saturday morning.

The medical examiner’s office had not determined the cause of death Saturday and referred all questions to the FBI.

Holcomb, who lived in Churchill, was an honors graduate from Brazosport College and editor in chief of the college student newspaper, The Navigator.

In 2007, Holcomb spoke about taking a semester-long program that involved travel by a passenger ship to several countries.

“The feeling of belonging somewhere with a great new group of friends provided the opportunity and support I needed to branch out of my comfort zone in education,” she said in an interview with The (Brazosport) Facts.

Reporter John Tompkins of The (Brazosport) Facts contributed to this report.
This story was brought to you thanks to khou.com's partnership with The Galveston County Daily News.

http://thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=60ff4c121bbdf390

FBI probing death of woman on cruise

By John Tompkins
The Facts   
Published February 21, 2010

GALVESTON — Federal investigators are awaiting autopsy results in the death of a Brazoria County woman on a cruise in the Gulf of Mexico.

FBI Agent Pat Villafranca would release few details in the death of Kipi Holcomb, 32.

“The death was discovered on the high seas,” Villafranca said.

Holcomb’s body was found Monday on the Carnival ship Ecstacy, which set sail from Galveston on Monday, federal agents said. Her body did not have any visible signs of trauma, Villafranca said. An autopsy on her body began Saturday at the Galveston County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Carnival Cruise Lines officials issued a prepared statement late Saturday.

“Carnival extends its heartfelt sympathies and condolences to the guest’s family for their loss,” the statement said.

FBI agents boarded the ship at Progresso, Mexico, on Monday after Holcomb’s body was discovered, agents said.

The FBI has jurisdiction for crimes on vessels that sail in international waters, Villafranca said.

FBI agents said they do not suspect foul play in the death.

Holcomb was an honors graduate from Brazosport College and editor in chief of the college student newspaper, The Navigator.

In a March 2007 Facts story, Holcomb spoke about involvement in a semesterlong program that included travel by passenger ship to several countries.

The Galveston County Daily News contributed to this report.

John Tompkins is senior reporter for The Facts. Contact him at 979-849-8581.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:06:37 PM »

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/100219-cruise-ship-death

FBI Investigates Mysterious Cruise Ship Death
Updated: Friday, 19 Feb 2010, 7:28 PM CST
Published : Friday, 19 Feb 2010, 7:28 PM CST

ISIAH CAREY
Reporter
HOUSTON - FOX 26 News learned the FBI is now investigating what they call a mysterious death on the high seas.

Investigators say 32-year-old Kipi Holcomb was found dead in her stateroom on the Carnival Cruise ship Ecstasy.

According to family members on Twitter, Holcomb is from Brazoria and was on the cruise with her boyfriend. One cousin writes she was found non-responsive in her bed on Tuesday.

A spokesperson for Carnival Cruise lines confirms the death. They say the FBI is investigating but couldn't determine Holcomb's cause of death.

Her body will be turned over to the medical examiner when the ship docks in Galveston on Saturday.

comments:

neurotic10 says:
February 19, 2010, 11:12PM
I recently learned the tragic news that Kipi has unexpectedly passed away. She was with the love of her life on a cruise in the Carribean. Unfortunately when she went to bed she never woke up. Kipi was one of my best friends and a beautiful person. She has touched so many lives in her brief time here. She will be greatly missed by all, and she is in a better place than this world has to offer. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and uncountable friends. Kipi, I will deeply miss you and am saddened with your loss. There are truly no words to express this sentiment. I love you and your family and you will be greatly missed.

A memorial scholarship fund has been set up in Kipi's name at Brazosport College. The family is asking for donations to it in lieu of flowers. Kipi was a non-traditional student and the scholarship will provide someone that is also a non-traditional student the assistance they need to change their life for the better and have the chance at a college education. For those of you that may not know, Kipi went back to college a few years ago and maintained a record of excellence. She graduated with honors and was president of the honors society (Student Honors Enrichment Council). If you wish to contribute then please send your donation to the following address.

Kipi Wiley-Holcomb Scholarship Fund

Brazosport College Foundation for Scholarship
500 College Drive
Lake Jackson, TX 77566

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:34:19 PM »

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/02/articles/maritime-death/fbi-investigating-death-of-passenger-kipi-holcomb-on-carnival-ecstasy/

Home > Maritime Death >

FBI Investigating Death of Passenger Kipi Holcomb on Carnival Ecstasy

Posted on February 20, 2010 by Jim Walker

Multiple new sources are reporting that the FBI is investigating the death of a 32 year old woman from  Brazoria County, Texas aboard the Carnival cruise ship Ecstasy.

Kipi Holcomb was found in her cabin by who is described as either her fiance or her newlywed husband, whose identity has not been revealed.  Most news sources call the death "mysterious," although the Police News website in Galveston is reporting the death as a murder.  According to the Police News:
" . . .  a 32-year old Brazoria County woman and her fiancee set sail earlier this week from Galveston and she was dead when the ship docked in Mexico.  FBI Agents went to Mexico to conduct an investigation.  It was reported that the woman had been beaten to death and the primary suspect is the man she married aboard the ship.  Although FBI spokesmen have called the investigation routine, it is reported the woman's death was a homicide. The Galveston County Medical Examiner will perform an autopsy and issue an official ruling in the death."

This sketchy article does not identify who, if anyone, stated that physical violence was involved or concluded that the death was a homicide.

However, another news source suggests that there was no signs of foul play whatsoever.  A local newspaper in Galveston, TheFacts.com, writes that:
"FBI Agent Pat Villafranca would release few details in the death of Kipi Holcomb, 32 . . . Holcomb’s body was found Monday on the Carnival ship Ecstacy, which set sail from Galveston on Monday, federal agents said. Her body did not have any visible signs of trauma, Villafranca said. An autopsy on her body began Saturday at the Galveston County Medical Examiner’s Office . . .  FBI agents boarded the ship at Progresso, Mexico, on Monday after Holcomb’s body was discovered, agents said . . . FBI agents said they do not suspect foul play in the death.

Ms. Holcomb apparently died last Monday and her death was reported to the cruise ship on Tuesday.  It is less than clear whether her body was removed when the cruise ship reached Mexico, or whether she was returned to Galveston.

No news source other than Galveston's Police News is reporting this as a murder.  The death of a healthy 32 year old woman is certainly unusual and the FBI rarely travels outside of the U.S. unless there is a reasonable basis to suspect that the incident involved a crime.

If this is in fact a murder, it is the second such case on a Carnival cruise ship recently. We previously reported on the death of a Carnival passenger last July aboard Carnival's Elation cruise ship.  Robert John McGill was charged with the first-degree murder and kidnapping of his wife, Shirley, who was beaten and strangled in their cabin.  Our article is entitled " Prosecutors May Seek Death Penalty In Carnival Cruise Murder Case." 

A commentator to MyFoxHouston.com says that a scholarship fund has been established in Ms. Holcomb's memory:
Kipi Wiley-Holcomb Scholarship Fund

Brazosport College Foundation for Scholarship
500 College Drive
Lake Jackson, TX 77566

Credits:
Photograph 1:                saltwatersportsman.com
Video:                               myfoxhouston.com
Photograph 2:                  Facebook.com

Comments:

jamie - February 21, 2010 5:52 PM
i think you need to update this artical per statement relieced by the FBI to AP saturday night. pissed family member

Jim Walker - February 21, 2010 8:09 PM
Jamie:
Please send us a link for the AP article or any updated information you wish us to post. The last article from the AP says:
"The FBI is investigating the death of a 32-year-old woman found in her room on a cruise ship.
FBI special agent Shauna Dunlap tells the Galveston County Daily News that authorities are trying to determine whether the woman's death aboard the Carnival Ecstasy was the result of foul play.
The ship's operator, Carnival Cruise Lines, said in a statement Saturday that the woman's body was found Tuesday. They said that after a preliminary investigation, no cause of death was determined and an autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death."
If you have additional or different information, please let us know. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3MMMbKlHOw

New sources report that the FBI is investigating the death of cruise passenger Kipi Holcomb on the Carnival Ecstasy cruise ship. One source says she may have been murdered by her fiance. Another newspaper says that there is no signs of foul play, For additional information, please see:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/02/..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E3MMMbKlHOw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/E3MMMbKlHOw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6880680.html
No signs of trauma for Brazoria Co. woman who died on cruise
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
GALVESTON — Preliminary autopsy results indicate a Texas woman found dead in her room on a cruise ship had no sign of trauma.

The investigation continues into the death of 32-year-old Kipi Holcomb of Brazoria County.

Holcomb on Feb. 15 was discovered dead after the Carnival cruise ship Ecstasy left its home port of Galveston.

The Galveston County Medical Examiner's Office did an autopsy when the ship returned to port. Spokesman John Florence says there was no evidence of trauma in an initial look.

Florence says toxicology results should be available next month.

The FBI, which routinely reviews such deaths at sea, also has said there was no evidence of foul play.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.