March 28, 2024, 04:23:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657622 times)
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2007, 12:00:47 AM »

OK - have worked out a way to keep these goal posts where I meant them to stay:

.............................................l.........l
.............................................l.........l
....................................l........l.........l........l
....................................l........l.........l........l

................................. behind...GOAL...behind

Please try to ignore the dots and you may get the general idea.  No nets as in soccer and no crossbar as in rugby.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Sleuth
Monkey Junky

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2007, 12:06:58 AM »

Quote from: "BTgirl"
Thanks for answering my question, Tibro. I'm so envious that you've been able to hold a koala. That's been a lifelong dream of mine, and I just couldn't believe anything that looked that adorable could smell bad!

Here is me being held    Wink  Wink

Seriously, this is a koala that I held....cute isn't he?

Check every detail-check it twice. At least check it once. FIND NATALEE
Sleuth
Monkey Junky

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2007, 12:10:53 AM »

Tibro - have you see the Royal Flying Dr Service.  It was so interesting.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2007, 12:20:57 AM »

Quote from: "Sleuth"
Tibro - have you see the Royal Flying Dr Service.  It was so interesting.

I have seen their planes at the local airports and heard some of the interesting tales the pilots and doctors tell.  The service is wonderful and many doctors and nurses apply for the experience and the travelling.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2007, 12:29:34 AM »

Thanks for answering my question, Tibro. I'm so envious that you've been able to hold a koala. That's been a lifelong dream of mine, and I just couldn't believe anything that looked that adorable could smell bad!

He is such a sweetie and he has a good grip on your jacket!
They are heavier than you would expect for their size and it is so good they are protected and so much research is going into keeping them healthy and making sure their population numbers increase.
The Japanese go crazy over them.

BTgirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2007, 10:25:55 AM »

He's gorgeous! They look as if they were made specifically to be cuddled.

I Stand With The Girl
LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2007, 03:00:22 PM »

Thanks Tibro.  Interesting country, Australia.  People so much like us in a country so different!  Aside from the beauty and different natrually occurring things in Australia, I think Americans see Aussies as being much like us.  They can be rowdy and boisterous, professional and intelligent, caring and brave and most of all, like Americans, Aussies LOVE THEIR SPORTS!  It's said that there are more natural things that can kill you in Australia than anywhere else in the world.  I guess when you grow up there you learn about these things so you know what to watch for.  So far, there's been no mention of Dingos!

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2007, 04:00:36 PM »

Tibro....thanks for so graciously answering our questions.  Smile
The Great Barrier Reef is a unique and wonderful gift of nature. I heard the late great Steve Irwin talk about it, and I hope the human impact can be minimized. I know the Aussies are doing all they can to protect it.
Australia does have great medical talent. It's nice to know that when I visit Down Under, I won't have to worry if a medical issue arises. In much of the world, that wouldn't be the case.
What is the top television show right now? And who is Australia's top celebrity?

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2007, 06:05:38 PM »

Hi  LilPuma and  pdh3  Glad to know you are enjoying my posts.  I love this country so much and am enjoying sharing some of it with all the monkeys.

I will work on the wildlife, including dingoes, this coming week - and yes we do have some very nasty creatures so will add them to the list too.

There is a lot of similarity with our two countries and lifestyle.
Sporting heroes are always celebrities and then pop music singers and film/tv actors.  Only occasionally do the ones that really do the important things like medical researchers and carers, teachers and volunteer bushfire fighters etc. get the recognition they deserve.

Our regular TV programmes are all in recess at present as we are in the middle of the long summer break.  Kids are off school until the end of this month and in some cases mid February.  Too long but it suits the teachers.
I know "24" was very popular and also "Prison Break".  I particularly like "Cold Case" (maybe we should send Kathryn Morris to Aruba?) and "The Unit".
Other popular shows are Aussie made "Home and Away", "All Saints" (like ER), "McLeods Daughters" and a few others.  Do you ever get any Aussie shows on TV there?

Today I am going to indulge in a little culture and reprint a poem that was taught to us in school and is often quoted even today.  It is just the best description of Aust and our feelings for this land.  Hope you enjoy.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2007, 06:16:28 PM »

My Country

The love of field and coppice
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies
I know, but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of rugged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze ...

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand
though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

©Dorothea MacKellar  (1885-1968)

The second stanza is often quoted and I am sure most Aussies could recite it from memory.

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2007, 10:09:55 PM »

Tibro.....loved the poem!

We used to get McCleod's Daughters here, but they stopped showing it for some stupid reason. Lots of people complained, but so far it has done no good. I loved that show. I watched it all the time.
Of course, we all watched Steve Irwin. And there are quite a few Aussies who are big over here in TV, movies, and music.
A few years ago, there was also a show called Outback Jack, where this gorgeous Aussie guy met a group of American women and spent time with them in the Outback. He was supposed to pick one of them to marry, and he did. The last I heard, they were still together. His real name was Vadim Dale.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Sleuth
Monkey Junky

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2007, 10:32:58 PM »

Give me a home among the gum trees....with lots of plum trees....a sheep or two.....a kangroo....a clothesline out the back....and an old rocking chair Wink

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2007, 10:59:21 PM »

Give me a home among the gum trees....with lots of plum trees....a sheep or two.....a kangroo....a clothesline out the back....and an old rocking chair Wink

Click go the shears, boys
click go the shears ..... Wink  Wink

Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2007, 11:46:47 PM »

Thank you so much for sharing all this info with us.  I have loved every single tidbit.  Since this is about as close to Australia as I will ever get in my lifetime, you have made me feel as if I know a little more than I did last week.  I so look forward to hearing more about your wonderful country.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2007, 02:46:08 AM »

Thanks Sleuth.
I have been singing this all afternoon   Laughing  Laughing

Sleuth
Monkey Junky

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2007, 02:57:13 AM »

Kukaburra sits on an old gum tree. Merry, merry king of the bush is he. Laugh Kukaburra, laugh Kukaburra.  Wink

Sleuth
Monkey Junky

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2007, 02:58:23 AM »

Kukaburra sits on an old gum tree. Merry, merry king of the bush is he. Laugh Kukaburra, laugh Kukaburra.  Wink

Growing up we would sing it as:
Kukaburra sits on an old gum tree. Eating all the gumdrops he could see. Laugh Kukaburra, laugh Kukaburra.

Peaches
Monkey Junky

~WE LOVE YOU PEACHES~

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2007, 12:23:30 PM »

This is fascinating.  I'm not even going to ask any questions because I think it's going pretty well without my two cents.  Loved the pictures.  Such fabulous scenery.  

Thank you for sharing.

"I bring my better angels to every fight".
Expect a miracle.
Sue
Monkey Junky

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2007, 10:20:26 PM »

I have some great pictures I will share of my trip if you would like

Joran, Deepak & Satish You F***ers will never be worth anything in your life ever
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2007, 10:37:32 PM »

Quote from: "Sue"

I have some great pictures I will share of my trip if you would like

Sue I am sure we would all love to see them and they will fit in here nicely.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.