March 29, 2024, 08:56:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657881 times)
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2007, 05:56:29 PM »

Happy Australia Day!!!

Do you have big celebrations like we do on July 4th?

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2007, 06:04:30 PM »

Quote from: "pdh3"
Happy Australia Day!!!

Do you have big celebrations like we do on July 4th?

Thank you.  Yes we do have celebrations.  Each town or district has something happening with both official and informal gatherings.  I think as the world has altered so much over the past few years the spirit of Aussie mateship has become more apparent and it seems we are becoming more patriotic.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2007, 06:44:05 PM »

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2007, 06:58:43 PM »

Thank you Klaasend

That is a very nice emblem too.  I am going to poach it   Laughing  Laughing

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2007, 05:38:35 PM »

Tragic story of the shipwreck coast

The Great Ocean Road south west of Melbourne in Victoria is rated one of the world's most scenic drives but sagas of the sea abound also on a 100 mile shore sector called the Shipwreck Coast.   The rugged coastline has claimed more than 180 ships over the centuries.
One particular wreck was that of the Loch Ard, a three masted square-rigged iron sailing ship, which sailed from England in 1878 with 37 crew and 17 passengers, many of them from an Irish family named Carmichael emigrating to the colonies.
After 13 weeks, on June 1, the ship was within days of arriving in Melbourne when it ran into thick fog.  When the fog lifted about 4 am the Loch Ard was well off course and heading for the jagged cliffs.  Despite all the efforts of the crew the ship struck a reef and sank in 15 minutes.Eighteen year old passenger Eva Carmichael rushed out on deck and found Capt. Gibbs who told her "If you are saved, let my dear wife know that I died like a sailor."  He went down with his ship.
Eva was swept overboard by a huge wave and spent five hours clinging to wreckage before she saw the ship's apprentice Tom Pearce on a small rocky beach - what was later named Loch Ard Gorge.  She yelled to attract his attention and Pearce swam out to her and dragged her ashore, then breaking open a case of brandy to help revive the now unconscious girl.
After the sun rose, Pearce scaled a cliff and following hoofprints, came across two men from a farm a few miles away and raised the alarm.  As Tom and Eva recovered later at the farm it was realised they were the only survivors.
Tom Pearce was hailed a hero and received the first Gold Medal of the Royal Humane Society and a reward from the Victorian Government.  People through the colony saw the situation as romantic and wanted Tom and Eva to fall in love and be married, saying God had brought them together for a reason.  But the couple did not feel the same way and three months later Eva went back to Ireland to be with the only surviving member of her family, a brother named William.  Years later Tom married a woman related to a man who died in the shipwreck and they started a family.
Nowadays when you drive along the Great Ocean Road to Loch Ard Gorge you can see the place where Tom rescued Eva and see the graves where some of the victims were buried.

Loch Ard Gorge ...

Aerial view of the Great Ocean Road..

Rocky outcrops known as the 12 Apostles...........

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2007, 06:52:54 PM »

Thanks for the dingo and t-devil info!  David Letterman had Jack Hannah on once who brought a dingo.  The dingo went to lick Letterman's face or something, which scared him, and occasionally Letterman will still mention the time the dingo tried to bite his face off.   Laughing

I mentioned I watched some of the Aussie Open tennis tournament.  They kept showing pictures of Australia and the things there are to do, especially in Victoria.  So beautiful.  

Reading one of your posts, Tibro, I got confused until I remembered that NORTH for you is warmer, SOUTH is colder.  I have to try to remember that.   Confused

Loved the flower pics.  Do you have roses?  Does Australia grow most of their own fruits and vegetables or do you have to import them?

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2007, 09:05:05 PM »

Thanks for reading this LilPuma and all the other Monkeys.   I have seen Jack Hanna on Greta's show and he gets a bit excited sometimes.  He told Greta that baby Kangaroos were called Wallabies so I felt like emailing her to tell her the difference!
I am glad you enjoyed the tennis.  Victoria is a lovely state and not far from Tasmania.  I have the same trouble remembering you are cold in the North and warmer in the South.
We grow roses here and they seem to thrive in all our different climates.
We can grow all types of fruit and vegetables, but they do import some from Asia and use in the canned or frozen mixes.  Big campaign here to support our own farmers and forget the imports.  I do not even support the big supermarkets but buy my fruit and vegetables from a shop run by a local farmer where he has everything straight off his farm and always so fresh.  Tastes better too and you know they have not been sprayed with chemicals to make them last longer.
Tasmania also is the largest grower of opium poppies!  They are very pretty when you see fields of them as they have a pinky mauve colour flower.  They have them well fenced off with electric wiring and big signs and cameras everywhere.
Hope the map of Australia I posted helps you find some of the places I mention but if you are not sure just ask me.  Australia is just a little smaller than the 48 states of America so that will give you an idea of size.

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2007, 01:42:53 AM »

Shocked I'm watching HGTV's Extreme Homes Down Under.  Some guy in Wellington, NZ built a home on a rocky cliff using shipping containers.   Confused Three huge metal shipping containers (like they'd put on a train) piled up on the side of a rocky cliff.  What's in his kiwis?  

Next is some guy named Fritz who lives in a dome home in Kapiti, NZ.  It looks like he dug into the side of a hill so most of the home is within the hill but one side is all glass.  They seem to have a rainforest and pool in the middle of the home.  Solar heated.  It's quite beautiful.  Oooh, there's a guest dome!  

Next is some kind of blimp home in Australia.  Commercial now.  They're showing the rocks you posted.  Uh oh, another one built on a cliff.  They had to use rock climbing equipment and hang from the side of the mountain to frame the house.   Shocked And I thought Americans were weird.   Confused THere's a kukaburra (sp?) on the balcony and they threw it some fruit.  There were also some red and black parrot-looking birds.  The whole place is built into the trees and such, so I guess they think it's just part of the landscape.  

Off to the rain forest of Brisbane.  Five-story tower home.  The top tower has glass angled to form prisms so when the sun comes in it gives off different colored light like a rainbow.  The bathroom sink is made of a clamshell.  

Well, next is an underground home in the Outback.  Coober Pedy 130 degrees.  3500 people living underground.  If you need room for a piece of furniture, you get out your pick and chip away.   Laughing

There's a couple more coming up, but I've gotta post this puppy and be gone.  If you get HGTV, it's a very interesting show and it's amazing how beautiful the trees and coastlines are.

Our deeds are seeds and by them, we plant the world we will walk through tomorrow
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2007, 03:51:26 AM »

Yep we have our share of nut cases here and some weird and wonderful homes.  Coober Pedy is unique and the temperatures are so high they live underground to keep cool.  You will be pleased to know that most of us are pretty normal and live in normal houses.  In the tropics (up North) they build the houses on stilts to allow the air to circulate and keep the house cool.  But with air conditioning now most people have built in underneath and turned it into a flat (apartment) or rumpus room (games room).  Some of the designer homes are extreme and must be built more to advertise the architect than for functional living.  The ones built right in the middle of the bush or forest are in danger of bushfires and some of the ones built on the edge of cliffs or headlands especially in New Zealand have been known to slide down the cliff after floods.  Give me a house in a nice suburb any day  Laughing

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2007, 04:02:24 AM »

MORE AUSTRALIAN FLORA

The National floral emblem of Australia is the Wattle and State emblem for New South Wales is the Waratah.  (both on previous postings)
This time I have the Tasmanian emblem which is the Flowering Blue Gum.  Called Blue because of the blue/grey colour of the young leaves and grows very tall so the flowers are rarely seen.

Stand of Blue Gum trees.........

Close up of Blue Gum Flowers..........

Western Australia's Floral Emblem :

Kangaroo Paw Bush...

Close up of Red K. Paw flower......

Green K. Paw flower close up............................

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2007, 12:39:44 PM »

I've seen those HGTV shows on extreme homes Down Under. I find them fascinating.
Thanks again for all the photos Tibro. You are really making Australia come alive for me.  Smile

What's an Aussie pub like? Ever been to one?

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2007, 02:23:20 PM »

Quote from: "pdh3"
I've seen those HGTV shows on extreme homes Down Under. I find them fascinating.
Thanks again for all the photos Tibro. You are really making Australia come alive for me.  Smile

What's an Aussie pub like? Ever been to one?

Tibro should be getting paid by the Australian Dept. of Tourism.  

Aruba could learn something from this.   Wink

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2007, 04:23:09 PM »

You're right Puma. Tibro has been so tireless and nice in answering our questions. Another good thing about Australia is the friendliness of it's people, and Tibro has shown us just how gracious they can be.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2007, 04:30:52 PM »

Thanks monkeys,

Our TV shows both Free to Air and  Pay TV show us homes and tourist places in the US and UK  Laughing

You could say that going to the pub is a national pastime here.  We have all sorts of pubs from trendy bars in upmarket hotels and discos to bistros and corner pubs as well as the famous outback hotels.  Even the smallest  town has at least one local pub and you can get some great meals and meet some real characters as well as having an ice cold beer.  Some pubs are built in the style of a British hotel or an Irish pub.  I particularly like the Irish ones as they have great Irish music and fun times.  So you can see you would never go thirsty here!

Two Famous Outback Pubs :

Birdsville Hotel..

Inside the bar at Birdsville Hotel ...

Innamincka Hotel...............................

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2007, 05:41:27 PM »

Quote from: "Tibrogargan"
Even the smallest  town has at least one local pub and you can get some great meals and meet some real characters as well as having an ice cold beer.  

One of the reasons Americans love Aussies over Poms!   Laughing  Laughing

Poms = Brits, right?

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2007, 04:06:55 PM »

USA:  

The Bald Eagle is our national bird.  It was hunted to the point of being put on the endangered species list but they think it will soon come off that list.  Hopefully not to be hunted again.  The bald eagle can weigh up to 14 pounds, lives about 14 years in the wild and has a wing span of 6 - 8 FEET.  That's taller than me.   Shocked

Grizzly bears live in both the US and Canada.  Adult females can weigh from 270 to 770 pounds by the age of 8 - 10 years.  Male grizzlies can weigh from 330 -1150 as adults (8-10 years).  

White Tail Deer.  More commonly seen in forested areas except the southwest, I think.  I've seen many many of them in forest preserves just outside the city.  I did see a mom and her Bambi down by a creek once.  So pretty and hunted extensively in some areas, although I think the hunters like to get the bucks with horns.  More macho or something.  

Off the top of my head, those are the first animals I could think of that are unique to USA-Canada.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2007, 08:43:43 PM »

Thank you LilPuma  I was going to ask if anyone would like to post items or pictures of the American wildlife and the different ways of life in your country as I am so interested and realise we only get a small view of things on the films and TV.  I would think that most of the monkeys that read here are in the US but I am sure they would be just as interested in learning about life in other parts of their own country as it is so vast and varied just like Australia.  I wonder if Klaas thinks this is a good idea and whether we would need to set up a separate thread?
Yes Poms are Brits.  Laughing  Laughing
Also have you caught up with that webcam that Art Colley told us about : www.africam.com.  It is amazing although the best times are a bit out for me, but this morning I saw a lioness come to drink at the waterhole and two large water birds that were there didn't fly away as you would expect - they just glided across the water to the opposite side and continued their foraging for food.  It was near midnight their time and as there was bright moonlight it just looked black and white.  You see these things on TV but it is so exciting to see them as it is happening and the only way I am going to see Africa now.

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2007, 10:13:36 PM »

It occurred to me that while we were drinking in all the pics and info about Australia, we weren't being very good hosts.  So I tried to think of a few things that I'm pretty sure you don't have down under.  Hopefully others will know some other things that you're not familiar with and share.  Oh, I have a thought; maybe I can find a pic.  bbl

LilPuma
Monkey Junky

« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »

We have (from Alaska, USA) the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights):  

I don't know if you can see from anywhere in Australia the Southern Lights, or Aurora Australis.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2007, 11:20:40 PM »

These photos were taken in 2003 not far from where I live.  Given the right conditions the "Southern Lights" or Aurora Australis can be seen as far away as northern New South Wales.  Hope the pictures are not too big.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.