March 28, 2024, 07:30:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657503 times)
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1060 on: February 02, 2011, 02:52:22 AM »

Thank you for your posts Muffy, 4 Donks and Green Eyes.  The people of Queensland do not need any more disasters in their beautiful state.  I am biased of course after living near Brisbane for almost twenty years.  We are safe here in the south.  I do hope there is no loss of life and only moderate damage to buildings, but they are talking about seas to the extent of a tsunami.  I hope they have that wrong.

This is a very interesting comparison of size to help my American friends understand the immensity of this awesome storm :

How Cyclone Yasi compares around the world

IF you're struggling to grasp the magnitude of Tropical Cyclone Yasi, consider this: it is so large it would almost cover the United States, most of Asia and large parts of Europe.

Most of the coverage about the scale of Yasi has tried to compare it with storms of the past - it's bigger than Larry, more powerful than Tracy.

But just as powerful is this comparison, showing this storm is continental in size.  The main bloc of the cyclone is 500km wide, while its associated activity, shown above in a colour-coding to match intensity, stretches over 2000km.

The storm's scale of destruction is as shocking as it is inevitable.  In the map above, the United States from Pennsylvania in the east to Nevada in the west, from Georgia in the south to Canada in the north and well into Mexico would be battered with 300km/h winds and up to one metre of rain

snipped >

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/how-cyclone-yasi-compares-around-the-world/story-e6freoof-1225998806916

500 kms = 311 miles
2000 kms = 1243 miles
300 kph =  180 mph

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1061 on: February 02, 2011, 05:18:04 AM »

Tibro that is absolutely terrifying. I pray for the safety of the people affected.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1062 on: February 02, 2011, 02:15:08 PM »

Tibrogargan,

I have been following this cyclone and am amazed at it's size.  Everything I have read say the people are evacuated and have been preparing for it. I pray they have and there's no lose of life. That the building damage isn't as sever as they think it's going to be. Am glad you are safe. CNN just showed the map the article was talking about.  Prayers for all the people it it's path.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1063 on: February 02, 2011, 07:45:29 PM »

4 Donks and Green Eyes the news this morning reveals that everyone's prayers have been heard and the middle of the cyclone missed the areas of most population and although it has caused immense damage in smaller towns and tourist areas there has so far been no reports of loss of life or injuries.  Most people in the target area were evacuated and all hospital patients and aged facility residents were already airlifted to Brisbane.  Some people chose to remain in their houses or small safer buildings.  Three babies chose to arrive in the midst of it all, one being born at an evacuation centre. No word on whether any of them will be named Yasi.

Evacuation centres are still in lock down mode as the second storm surge is causing flooding in the coastal areas.  Power outages and damage to water plants so far seem to be the main worry.  A lot of the smaller communities can not be accessed yet to assess damage and the wind and rain is still too strong to allow aircraft to make flights to take photos so that authorities can make plans for rescue.  Townsville has one of our biggest defence force bases and they are ready to be mobilised to assist wherever they are needed.

The cyclone is now a Cat 3 or 2 and headed inland towards Mount Isa which is a mining town and in what we call our "Outback".  Flooding is expected in all rivers there and possibly into the adjoining state of Northern Territory.  There are many small towns and cattle stations (ranches) in it's path.  Beef cattle is a big industry in those areas, and closer to the coast is the tropical fruit growing, so bananas will be in short supply.

I have read of the terrible winter storms that cover much of USA and I hope all monkeys and their families are safe.

Now we are getting the sad news that another of our soldiers has been killed in Afghanistan with one other seriously injured.  My prayers to all the brave men and women and their families who go to so many parts of the world to enable the rest of us to live in peace and safety.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1064 on: February 02, 2011, 07:50:04 PM »

Tropical Cyclone Yasi to leave 'unprecedented' destruction and heartache, says Anna Bligh

* Robyn Ironside
    * February 03, 2011 10:34AM

QUEENSLAND Premier Anna Bligh says evacuation centres in Cairns and Townsville will remain in lockdown due to a second, dangerous storm surge in the wake of Cyclone Yasi.

Ms Bligh said a second storm surge was hitting a number of places about 9.30am, with waves crashing over the esplanade in Cairns and significant water rises in Townsville, Rowes Bay and surrounds.

``The second surge in Cairns is being reported by authorities there as significantly higher and larger than what they saw last night,'' Ms Bligh said.

``So this is still a very dangerous situation in Cairns and Townsville around those storm surge areas.

``For that reason evacuation centres will remain in lockdown until after the high tide has passed and that won't be until later this morning.''

She said places inland were also still in the path of danger, and warned people there was no room for complacency.

snipped >

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/tropical-cyclone-yasi-to-leave-unprecedented-destruction-and-heartache-says-anna-bligh/story-e6freon6-1225999130367

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1065 on: February 03, 2011, 10:16:20 AM »

4 Donks and Green Eyes the news this morning reveals that everyone's prayers have been heard and the middle of the cyclone missed the areas of most population and although it has caused immense damage in smaller towns and tourist areas there has so far been no reports of loss of life or injuries.  Most people in the target area were evacuated and all hospital patients and aged facility residents were already airlifted to Brisbane.  Some people chose to remain in their houses or small safer buildings.  Three babies chose to arrive in the midst of it all, one being born at an evacuation centre. No word on whether any of them will be named Yasi.

Evacuation centres are still in lock down mode as the second storm surge is causing flooding in the coastal areas.  Power outages and damage to water plants so far seem to be the main worry.  A lot of the smaller communities can not be accessed yet to assess damage and the wind and rain is still too strong to allow aircraft to make flights to take photos so that authorities can make plans for rescue.  Townsville has one of our biggest defence force bases and they are ready to be mobilised to assist wherever they are needed.

The cyclone is now a Cat 3 or 2 and headed inland towards Mount Isa which is a mining town and in what we call our "Outback".  Flooding is expected in all rivers there and possibly into the adjoining state of Northern Territory.  There are many small towns and cattle stations (ranches) in it's path.  Beef cattle is a big industry in those areas, and closer to the coast is the tropical fruit growing, so bananas will be in short supply.

I have read of the terrible winter storms that cover much of USA and I hope all monkeys and their families are safe.

Now we are getting the sad news that another of our soldiers has been killed in Afghanistan with one other seriously injured.  My prayers to all the brave men and women and their families who go to so many parts of the world to enable the rest of us to live in peace and safety.
Prayers will continue for all those affected.

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1066 on: February 03, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »

Tibrogargan,

While watching the local NY news last evening, CBS did have a report by a female member of their affilliate in Cairn where some footage was shown of downed trees, debris and some shots of the crowded shelters.  In fact, during the report, she said that there was a woman in labor at one of the shelters and about to give birth.  I can only imagine how they all must be feeling.  I'm glad the storm was downgraded and is moving on.

As for us in the US and the winter storms, well, we just have to deal with it, but it can be stressful, to say the least.  Seems we hardly have time to recover from one storm and another is rolling in.  This last one was ice and it's near impossible to find any ice melt or rock salt to clear walkways or steps in the stores. Many, many townships are low or out of the salt they use on the roadways and deliveries are not expected for a couple of weeks.  We've been spoiled by milder winters the past few years, I guess.

I am always sad to hear of another troop loss or injury.  I salute all who serve.  While we're complaining about snow, they have much more to deal with each minute of their day.

Thanks for your updates, Tibro.

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1067 on: February 03, 2011, 11:27:13 AM »

Have you heard anything from Night Owl ?

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1068 on: February 03, 2011, 07:32:11 PM »

4 Donks I have not seen Nightowl on the forum recently.  I just checked her profile and she was last active here on 19 January.  She is not in any of the cyclone or flood ravaged areas but I do hope she will post again soon.  Maybe the recent news items in the Zahra case will encourage her to post.  I am not in contact with her outside of this forum so like you I just have to wait.

2NJ I enjoyed your comments.  The case of the baby girl born at the evacuation shelter was special.  Fortunately they had a separate room available and a tourist from England who was a midwife assisted two doctors who were also at the shelter.  The parents were reported to say that they did not like the name so she would not be named Yasi.  I have not read anything about the other two babies reported to have been born at hospital facilities.  Because of power outages the local media's websites have not been updated, and apart from the TV news crews who have been broadcasting through Skype and other computerised means, the only outlet is the Courier Mail Newspaper which is based in Brisbane so they do not carry a lot of the human interest stories that would appear in more local news.

The stories from the USA of the snow and ice storms are horrific.  We do not have anything like that here although we do get heavy snowfalls in some areas during our winter.  We do not even have many snow ploughs except in the ski fields such as Thredbo.  I have added my prayers for better weather and the safety of all monkeys and their families.

The cyclone is slowly dissipating but still strong winds and heavy rain over all the area and flood warnings are current for places as far west as Alice Springs.  Alice Springs is famous for the book and movie "A Town Like Alice" and many other movies and series have been shot in that area.  There is a list at :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_and_TV_series_shot_in_Alice_Springs
and some could be familiar to the monkeys.

I am happy to see monkeys joining in this thread.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1069 on: February 03, 2011, 07:35:42 PM »

Long road to recovery lies ahead for communities after Cyclone Yasi

* Steven Wardill and Peter Michael
    * February 04, 2011 10:04AM

A 23-year-old man has suffocated from using a generator inside a closed room after Cyclone Yasi cut power supplies, Premier Anna Bligh said.

She warned other north Queenslanders not to put themselves at risk.

Ms Bligh said the incident happened near Ingham.

"Our condolences for the family of this young man," Ms Bligh told reporters in Cairns.

She said the man had been using a generator for power inside a closed room.

"This is a dangerous thing to do. The coroner wanted me to make people understand that if you are using a generator for power, doing it in a closed room without any ventilation means you are at risk from asphyxiation from diesel fumes."

snipped >

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/long-road-to-recovery-lies-ahead-for-communities-after-cyclone-yasi/story-e6freon6-1225999913148

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1070 on: February 03, 2011, 07:41:57 PM »

Found a story about one of the other two babies born during the cyclone :

New life for town battered, not beaten

* Koren Helbig and David Murray
    * February 04, 2011 12:00AM

< snipped

There was more good news in the from of a new arrival cyclone baby Kaniesha Glastonbury already has an obvious nickname.

"We'll call her Yasi, but only when she's in trouble," dad Storm said.

Kaniesha's father was named after a fierce gale that hit Alice Springs during his birth.

Just like her dad, she made a grand entrance, born at Innisfail Hospital at 10.47pm on Wednesday, three days early.

The eye of Cyclone Yasi was only about an hour from crossing the coast when Kaniesha arrived. While her dad fretted about the approaching gale mum Robyn Jones had other things to worry about.

snipped >

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1071 on: February 03, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »

Found a story about one of the other two babies born during the cyclone :

New life for town battered, not beaten

* Koren Helbig and David Murray
    * February 04, 2011 12:00AM

< snipped

There was more good news in the from of a new arrival cyclone baby Kaniesha Glastonbury already has an obvious nickname.

"We'll call her Yasi, but only when she's in trouble," dad Storm said.

Kaniesha's father was named after a fierce gale that hit Alice Springs during his birth.

Just like her dad, she made a grand entrance, born at Innisfail Hospital at 10.47pm on Wednesday, three days early.

The eye of Cyclone Yasi was only about an hour from crossing the coast when Kaniesha arrived. While her dad fretted about the approaching gale mum Robyn Jones had other things to worry about.

snipped >
The proverbial silver lining....love the baby stories.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1072 on: February 03, 2011, 08:53:37 PM »

Awful fallout of Yasi dawns

EMILY MACDONALD  |  February 4th, 2011

BRAVE North Queenslanders are a day closer to reclaiming their lives but uncertainty still surrounds power and water supplies.

When dawn broke today, North Queenslanders were confronted with a heartbreaking level of destruction in small coastal communities and the prospect of a lengthy recovery process on an unprecedented scale.

Never before in living memory has a cyclone of this size and intensity torn through homes, leaving almost no corner of North Queensland untouched.

But when Yasi's fury finally abated, people realised they still had something invaluable.

Despite gusts of almost 300km/h, not one life was confirmed lost in fact three babies were born at the height of the storm.

snipped >

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2011/02/04/205131_news.html

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1073 on: February 04, 2011, 07:33:25 PM »

Light dawns on Aboriginal find

* Andrew Carswell and Robert Cockburn
    * February 05, 2011 12:00AM

IS it just a pile of plain paddock rocks placed in a semicircle, or proof Aborigines were the world's first astronomers?

After years of meticulous examination, some of Australia's most distinguished astrophysicists are starting to believe it's the latter - a discovery that could turn history and cultural books upside down and render England's famous Stonehenge an also-ran.

Dubbed Wurdi Youang, the strange stone arrangement was found on a property near Mt Rothwell, 80km west of Melbourne, its two points set in perfect alignment with the setting sun on a mid-summer's day.

CSIRO professors believe the ancient Aboriginal sundial could be more than 10,000 years old, an estimate that would have it pre-date the famous neolithic Stonehenge and the only remaining ancient wonder of the world, the Egyptian Pyramids.

snipped >

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/light-dawns-on-aboriginal-find/story-e6freooo-1226000424620

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1074 on: February 05, 2011, 05:14:09 AM »

Two north Queensland communities devastated by Cyclone Yasi have been closed to the public

* Kate Higgins and AAP
    * February 05, 2011 5:14PM

THE communities of Tully Heads and Hull Heads have been closed to the public while residents deal with the aftermath of Tropical Cyclone Yasi.

Police said the communities would remain closed until further notice.

A QPS spokesman said at present roads were needed for emergency services, residents, councillors and people aiding the rebuilding effort.

He said it was a sensitive time for residents, who are among the hardest hit by Yasi.

Residents will receive wrist bands to allow access to the towns, which are also closed to media.

Road blocks were this afternoon in place around the towns, which are around 50km north of Cardwell.

snipped >

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/cairns-hopes-to-have-the-back-in-business-sign-out-by-monday-after-a-weekend-cleaning-up-after-cyclone-yasi/story-e6freon6-1226000632727

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1075 on: February 06, 2011, 03:11:48 AM »

Koala who walked into a bar on Magnetic Island hit by Cyclone Yasi eucalyptus famine

* Lisa Martin
    * February 06, 2011 3:15PM

THE headline-making koala that wandered into a bar on Queensland's Magnetic Island may find life a little hard to bear after Cyclone Yasi.

The male koala and 199 of his mates are a little short on food supplies after Yasi stripped the gum trees bare on the island, just off Townsville.

Wildlife ranger Tony Gordon from Bungalow Bay Koala Sanctuary said there could be a koala famine on the island for up to a month until the leaves sprout again.

Mr Gordon rescued the male koala from the rafters of the island's Marlin Bar in November.

After the cyclone, Mr Gordon was on patrol when he identified him - from his spots - up a tree.

snipped >

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/koala-who-walked-into-a-bar-on-magnetic-island-hit-by-cyclone-yasi-eucalyptus-famine/story-e6freoof-1226000991317

Link to original article
:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/weird/a-koala-walks-into-a-bar-and-nods-off/story-e6frep26-1225955179462

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1076 on: February 06, 2011, 10:56:35 AM »

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/news/story.jsp?flok=FF-APO-+&idq=/ff/story/1001%2F20110206%2F6567.htm&sc=+&floc=NI-ne3

Wildfire burns 35 houses in Western Australia

PERTH, Australia (AP) — Wildfires tore across the outskirts of an Australian city on Sunday, destroying at least 35 homes, authorities said. One firefighter was reportedly injured.
snipped

I have been trying to keep up with the news in Australia and came across this article. I hope that this is a very isolated incident.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1077 on: February 06, 2011, 08:22:40 PM »

4 Donks it is great to know you are taking an interest in our country.  Wildfires (or bushfires as we call them) are not isolated.  Unfortunately they are a feature of our summer season in most states.  There have been some horrendous outbreaks in South Australia and Victoria particularly and these fires have earned their own names such as Black Saturday and Ash Wednesday.  The worst fires in my state of Tasmania was in 1967
(snipped) There were 62 deaths, 900 injuries and over 7000 people made homeless. The fires killed 500 horses, 1,350 cattle, 60,000 sheep, 24,000 chickens, 600 pigs, and other animals. (snipped)
http://home.iprimus.com.au/foo7/firestas.html

The fires in Western Australia show no sign of coming under control as yet.  The bushfire brigade members who are mostly volunteers do such a wonderful job but face many dangers.

A good site to keep up with latest news from here :  http://www.news.com.au/

On our TV morning news the commentator said that we are having all four extremes of weather over the extent of the continent : heatwave conditions in Sydney where it reached 107 F, major flooding in several states and another flash flood in Toowoomba Queensland, these bushfires near Perth, WA and some snow on the Southern Alps.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1078 on: February 06, 2011, 08:26:33 PM »

Authorities say more homes likely to be lost as bushfires surround Perth

* By staff writers and wires
    * February 07, 2011 12:19PM

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/more-than-100-flee-perth-bushfire/story-e6frfkxi-1226000957393#ixzz1DERUtejr

EMERGENCY warnings have been issued for seven suburbs on the outskirts of Perth as the western capital is engulfed by flames. Latest developments will be posted below as they come to hand.

TIMES ARE IN AEDT | REFRESH THIS PAGE FOR UPDATES

* Local coverage at PerthNow
    * Email reports and photos to news@news.com.au
    * Click here to see all FESA warnings

Residents have been evacuated. Dozens of buildings destroyed. At least 12 people taken to hospital. No deaths reported.

12.09pm Cyclone Yasi, which last week devastated Queensland, is believed to be partly to blame for Perth's raging bushfires, the West Australian reports.

The low pressure system left over from cyclone Yasi clashed with a high pressure system in southern WA, causing the wind gusts that fanned the bushfires, Weather Bureau duty forecaster Austen Watkins said.

"The pressure gradient is strengthening the winds more than usual."

I am posting this at 12.25 pm AEDT

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1079 on: February 06, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »

Cathy Freeman expecting her first child

* By Alice Coster
    * February 07, 2011 12:28AM

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/cathy-freeman-expecting-her-first-child/story-e6frfmqi-1226001132828#ixzz1DESdZfjw

* Cathy's baby due in August
    * "I am so totally lost in love"
    * Pregnancy has triggered type 2 diabetes

OLYMPIC champion Cathy Freeman is pregnant with her first child.

The gold medallist and husband James Murch say the baby is due in August.

"I am so totally lost in love with this baby already," Freeman told New Idea magazine, out today.

"I think it will take my breath away when we first meet."

The much-loved athlete's friends and former colleagues yesterday congratulated Freeman, wishing her a safe pregnancy.

snipped >

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.