March 28, 2024, 11:06:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657552 times)
Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #360 on: March 29, 2007, 08:39:13 AM »

OMG!!!! Those are adorable!!!! So precious. Ok, I need to add Red panda to my list too. I have never seen anything so cute!!!
I really enjoy these posts , Thank you so much for sharing them Smile
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #361 on: March 29, 2007, 08:49:08 AM »

Hi Seamonkey.  You are an early bird.  I am just about to go to bed!  It is nearly 11pm here.  Those Red Panda cubs are cute and I love that bushy tail.
I think you had better check with Cat how big his viking boat is going to be before you load too many animals on it.  
 Laughing  Laughing Laughing  Laughing

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #362 on: March 29, 2007, 08:55:14 AM »

Early?? I get up at 4am lol It is almost a noon to me ( 9am). I am on a break Smile

Oh yes, that tail is wonderful !!

As far as cat goes, I will just load another barrel on board, he will be so busy playing the piano and singing he won't notice. You know how cats can be lol.

Sleep well Tibro and dream sweet Smile
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #363 on: March 29, 2007, 09:28:30 AM »

Quote from: "Tibrogargan"
Hi None - glad you are enjoying this thread.  I have fun putting it together and like to hear my monkey friends are learning something about my wonderful country.  It must be very similar to America and your lifestyle.
The two reds are taken from a Heeler Fan Club site.  The one on the left has a more correct broad head for show qualities and the one on the right looks a little fine in the head.  Maybe a female but they still are supposed to have the broad head.  They are very solidly built dogs and tremendously strong for their size.  I would love to see the photo of your dog.  They say that there is some dingo in the best of the Heelers and Kelpies.  Frowned on now of course by the ANKC for show registration but who knows what happens on the outback stations?   A Dingo head for comparison :

oh Tib those red pandas are precious, I suspect once Anna sees those she will want to visit you ! Honestly when you posted the photos of the reds it's the first time I've seen another dog that I really felt resembled our Red? I can't find a photo of him in repose with his mouth shut  Laughing but he's just the happiest most loving fella. He looks more like the female on the right in your picture when his mouth is shut  Laughing He's such a part of our family, even loves our cats and they him, plus he loves fondant icing  Laughing

he thinks he's a human too  Laughing he loves to sit in my late hubby's chair surveying his backyard kingdom. he does 'eliminate' moles and field mice too pretty effectively even though daughter/mommy to him is horrified when he does. He also likes to dig into the earth and sniff, like he gets a high from sniffing in and smelling dirt ??? Go figure  Laughing

I really do just love your thread here and all  you are sharing, you are so knowledgeable and Australia such a beautiful and strong country !

I continue to stand with the girl.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #364 on: March 29, 2007, 02:41:49 PM »

Tib,

of course my daughter saw the photos I posted and as a typical mom I did it ALL wrong  Laughing she's so excited and is on the web researching heelers now after my showing her your thread. Anyway she wanted <rather demanded lol> I post this photo for you

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #365 on: March 29, 2007, 04:49:26 PM »

None, what a handsome dog!  He looks so regal and happy.  Easy to see he is loved.  I have to agree there must be some heeler or dingo in him, or at least the same breeds they used to make up the heeler over time.
Thank you for sharing those photos and I can see why your family is so proud of him.  There would be Heeler breeders in the US.

I don't know about being too knowledgeable but when I went to school all those years ago we had to learn a lot about our country (and England) and I fear it is not so these days.  I have always has an inquiring mind and love to learn about other countries and how their people live. Also I have a good Google search engine which allows me to confine searches to Australian sites.  Thank goodness for the internet otherwise I would be camped at the library most of my days  Laughing  Laughing

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #366 on: March 29, 2007, 04:56:39 PM »

BINDI'S US TV DEBUT

Peta Hellard in Los Angeles
March 29, 2007 12:00am Article from: The Courier-Mail

BINDI Irwin will make her US television debut in June - hosting a kids nature series and a one-hour special about her late father Steve.
The bubbly eight-year-old's series Bindi: The Jungle Girl, which she began filming with her father in early 2006, will premiere on June 9 on Discovery Kids Channel.

Discovery Channel spokesman David Schaefer yesterday (Thursday Aust time) said the 26 episodes showed Bindi interacting with a variety of animals, including koalas, elephants and snakes, while explaining how all animals needed to be respected and protected.

Mr Schaefer said Irwin, who died died in September after a stingray's poisonous barb pierced his chest during shooting for the series, would appear in the series in scenes shot before his death and in other archival footage.

He said Bindi and Irwin's widow Terri had decided to continue on with filming the weekly series, which is designed to help get more children interested in wildlife conservation, after his death. Production on the series, which was originally set to debut in January, was delayed for several months after Irwin's tragic death.

Bindi will also host My Daddy the Croc Hunter, a one-hour special that will air June 8 on the Animal Planet. The special includes clips from Bindi's early childhood.  It is not clear when the series and special will air in Australia.

Bindi visited the US in January as a Tourism Australia ambassador for the annual G'day USA week, where she performed in sold-out concerts in Los Angeles and New York with her back-up dancers The Croc Men.

Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #367 on: March 29, 2007, 05:54:28 PM »

BILBY IN IT'S NATURAL HABITAT

Ok I finally got piccys of Fernando actually sitting still to show you the resemblance, of course, it is NOT in the poses I had hoped to show his little RAT Bilby-like feet too lol. But you can see what I mean by the Bilby nose and ears.

I tried to take pictures of my sculpture of the characture, but I seem to be out of practice for taking images of things so small..VERY out of focus. I still haven't done the fairy penguin, all I got done so far is the drawings lol. But now I am adding Red Panda to the list of possibilities for art dolls.

Thank you again for providing such inspirational posts.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #368 on: March 29, 2007, 06:18:23 PM »

Those ears!  They are enormous for such a small dog.  But he would not think he is small of course.  I bet he does not miss much either.
What a dear little dog.  He does look like he has some Bilby in him - you can use him as a live model for the Bilby dolls Laughing  Laughing
Just as well you had not seen the pictures before you got him otherwise you would have named him "Bilby"  Laughing  Laughing

Thank you for the compliments.  I will see what other soft and furry creatures I can find.  Cannot have you with nothing to do, can we?  Wink  Wink

Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #369 on: March 29, 2007, 06:58:25 PM »

Those ears!  They are enormous for such a small dog.  But he would not think he is small of course.  I bet he does not miss much either.
What a dear little dog.  He does look like he has some Bilby in him - you can use him as a live model for the Bilby dolls Laughing  Laughing
Just as well you had not seen the pictures before you got him otherwise you would have named him "Bilby"  Laughing  Laughing

Thank you for the compliments.  I will see what other soft and furry creatures I can find.  Cannot have you with nothing to do, can we?  Wink  Wink

LOl, no, he does not think he is small. That's half his problem..BIG dog in LITTLE dog body . Smile But very much a sweetheart to those he trusts.

He is extremely alert. Then again, how can help not to even pick up space transmissions with those ears lol. That would have been a great idea to have named him Bilby. The pictures still didn't do justice to the actual size.

Ohhh no, couldn't have me just sit around doing nothing, I may melt lol.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #370 on: March 29, 2007, 08:26:44 PM »

Tib-

I appreciate your information, I was hoping your photo and information might head off the expenditure of $100 my daughter was going to pay to have Red's DNA tested  Laughing and I'm not kidding for she's that curious and attached to him !

Seamonkey, what a precious pup, and he's the BIG little dog? Even cuter !

Seamonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #371 on: March 29, 2007, 08:38:54 PM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
Tib-

I appreciate your information, I was hoping your photo and information might head off the expenditure of $100 my daughter was going to pay to have Red's DNA tested  Laughing and I'm not kidding for she's that curious and attached to him !

Seamonkey, what a precious pup, and he's the BIG little dog? Even cuter !

Hello None, I think that is cool your daughter wants to do a dna test on her dog. BTW, he is a very nice looking dog, rather regal looking. That is one dna test that won't be splashed across the media I hope, unless it turns out that HKS is the dogs father lol. Sorry, bad joke.

Yes, BIG little dog, all 3 pounds of him lol.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #372 on: March 30, 2007, 02:56:18 AM »

BOULIA AND THE MIN MIN LIGHT

On the edge of the Simpson Desert in Queensland's Outback lies a tiny town with a ghostly reputation.  If you are driving through the bush at night around Boulia, 300km south of Mount Isa, and you see a strange light with no apparent source dancing in the gidgee scrub or floating near an isolated highway - you're not the first.

This is the Min Min light - a bizarre, ghostly light that can appear, hover, disappear and reappear with an eerie will of its own. The light has been reported around Boulia, population 300, for more than 70 years.  And no-one has any decent explanation as to what it actually is.

Locals have their own theories as to its origin. Old timers believe the light was first seen in the vicinity of the old Min Min Hotel - about 70km from Boulia on the road to Winton. One story has the light rising from behind a grave at the back of the hotel.

Theories abound on what causes the Min Min light - some ideas are that the light is caused by a will-o'-the wisp which is a phosphorescent light often seen over marshy ground, firefly insects, a bird or even an unidentified flying object.  Others say the Min Min could be a kind of mirage - caused by a distant light refracting off a temperature inversion. Whatever the cause and despite the lack of explanation - or maybe because of it - the Min Min light is a source of fascination for visitors to Boulia.

Boulia local Robert "Bruiser" Cooms has lived in the area all his life and sighted the Min Min at least half a dozen times while driving at night.  "It's an orange glow that hovers around you," Bruiser said. "It doesn't throw a beam. It's just a big lump of ball. It hovers and bobs around. It puts the hairs up on the back of your neck."

Let's face it, if you go to Boulia and talk to the locals, you'll find someone who's seen the light or knows someone who has. Boulia visitors can explore this phenomenon more fully at the $1.8 million Min Min Encounter in the heart of town. The centre houses a fascinating sound and light display, interactive features and the history of the Min Min light. The best part is that it combines the Outback's dry irony with some spooky special effects.

Boulia itself is an amazing little town, not much more than a village, flanked on one side by a vast plain and on the other by the Burke River. The vistas are superb in this area: low plains spreading to the horizon, crumbling mesas and bizarre, jumbled rock formations. Boulia is also focal point for the annual Desert Sands Camel Races on the third weekend of each July. These races are Australia's largest professional camel racing event and attract thousands of visitors. Boulia lies 300km south of Mount Isa or 350km west of Winton on the sealed Min Min byway.

BOULIA SIGN

BOULIA TOWNSHIP

BURKE RIVER

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #373 on: March 30, 2007, 02:59:25 AM »

FEATURES OF THE BOULIA DISTRICT

CAMEL RACES

QUARTERHORSE EVENT AT RODEO

DUST STORM APPROACHING

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #374 on: March 30, 2007, 08:12:07 PM »

An amusing story about a serious subject.

HOUNDED ABOUT HEALTH

Janelle Miles  March 31, 2007 12:00am Article from :  The Courier Mail

ALISON Brennan's dog Adonis senses when she's about to have an epileptic fit and lets her know – 15 minutes before it happens. Until she got her golden labrador four years ago, she was afraid to be in the house alone, worried she may have a seizure in the shower or if she left the oven on, that the house may burn down. These days, her pooch paws at her legs to warn her of a pending attack, giving her time to lie down and avoid injuring herself in a fall.

And on at least one occasion when her husband Keith was serving with the Australian Defence Forces in Iraq, Alison Brennan says Adonis probably saved her life. She was on her way to do some shopping when he tried to take her house keys off her and then blocked her path so she couldn't leave. He didn't let up even when she went to lie down, continuously pawing at her.

"I thought it must be going to be a bad one so I called an ambulance," recalls the 28-year-old who runs a Townsville secondhand bookshop. "By the time the ambulance got there I was already unconscious. Nobody would have known I was unconscious and I probably would have died." That night Brennan, who was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was 15, was operated on for a blood clot on the brain. When she awoke from surgery, she was told how organised Adonis had been, giving the ambulance officers a set of house keys to lock up and a backpack they assumed was an emergency overnight bag for his owner. But when hospital staff unpacked it, instead of a nightie and toothbrush, they found it was full of Adonis's toys and dog treats.

"When I woke up from the operation, they were all still laughing about my dog bringing his own backpack into hospital," Brennan said. She said having Adonis had taken some of the anxiety out of living with epilepsy. "I have fewer seizures. I think it's because you're not as stressed out thinking: 'When's the next one going to happen?'," she said. "Once you have a dog telling you every time you're going to have a seizure, that stress isn't there any more."

Faye Downie, of the Association for Australian Assistance Dogs, said not all dogs were able to alert their owners to impending epileptic seizures. She said it was a mystery why some dogs could sense an owner's attack ahead of time. Some believe that dogs, which have a sense of smell much more acute than humans, can sniff out subtle changes in body odour before their owner has an epileptic fit. Others suspect the dogs can detect extremely subtle changes in their owner's behaviour. Downie said puppies could not be trained to be seizure-alert dogs – they either had the ability or not.

Although some within the medical fraternity remain sceptical of a pet being able to foresee a health emergency, neurologist Terence O'Brien, of the University of Melbourne, said he believed in the benefits of seizure-alert dogs like Adonis. "There's quite a lot of good anecdotal evidence that these dogs do somehow sense a change in their owners before a seizure," Associate Professor O'Brien said. "We know that there can be complicated changes in brain-wave activity . . . 10 or 20 minutes before a seizure. Things do happen before a seizure and these dogs do seem to be able to sense it."

(snipped)

ALISON AND ADONIS

hummingbird7525
Scared Monkey

« Reply #375 on: March 30, 2007, 11:05:15 PM »

Thanks Tibro for posting this great story.  Alison is so lucky to have found such a wonderful friend and protector.  
I love all your posts about your homeland.  It is like going on vacation every time I read here.   Thanks so much, I know you put a lot of work into it.   Very Happy

Good days give you happiness.  Bad days give you experiences.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #376 on: March 31, 2007, 02:24:43 AM »

Hi hummingbird.  These medical alert dogs do a wonderful job.  They use them for diabetics also as they can sense the variations in blood sugar levels.
I particularly liked the part where Adonis made sure they took his toys and treats with them.  Laughing  Laughing
It is not hard work as I enjoy it so much and I like to think I am entertaining the monkeys who do such hard work for Natalee's family.  It is difficult to do anything useful from over here so I feel I am doing my bit in this way.  Thank you for your kind words.  It is my pleasure.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #377 on: March 31, 2007, 02:30:13 AM »

JELLYFISH THAT ATE HOLLYWOOD

March 30, 2007 12:00am  Article from:  The Courier Mail

DEADLY jellyfish interrupted filming in Queensland of a new movie by Hollywood stars Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey.

A new location will now be found when the two actors return from the US to complete filming of the final scenes of Fool's Gold in coming weeks.  The stars have been filming in Queensland since last year and were due to act out their final scene in the waters of Hervey Bay for the Warner Brothers feature until a marine expert sighted potentially fatal irukandji jellyfish. James Cook University's Dr Jamie Seymour had been hired to ensure the safety of the film's stars while in the water and it was money well spent after he spotted the thimble-sized creatures in the nick of time.

The irukandji jellyfish, which has a translucent body and 30 centimetre stingers, is regarded by many scientists as one of the deadliest creatures in the animal world. An antidote is yet to be discovered for its venom, which can inflict pain, paralysis and increase blood pressure to dangerous and sometimes fatal levels. "We were aware it was jellyfish season, we just weren't aware it would be such a problem," the film's publicist Fiona Searson said.

Two tourists died from so-called "irukandji syndrome" in Queensland in 2002 which led scientists to ramp up research into treatment for the jellyfish's sting. While the irukandji usually inhabits warm tropical waters off far north Queensland, global warming has been linked to its migration south.

The final scenes of Fool's Gold, in which a married couple played by Hudson and McConaughey rekindle their romance when they discover a clue to finding a lost treasure, will be picked up in the next month at a location yet to be decided. "There's only a little bit of filming still to do, so we'll have to complete that in another location," Ms Searson said.
Ms Searson confirmed most of the US cast and crew, including Hudson and McConaughey, have returned home until the final scenes can be scheduled, which should happen in the next week. "They're all gone, everybody's left for the time being, all the Americans anyway," she said. The film's scheduled release in early 2008 will not been affected by the delay, Ms Searson said.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #378 on: March 31, 2007, 02:35:16 AM »

The Irukandji (Carukua barnesi) inhabits Northern Australian waters. This is a deadly jellyfish, which is only 2.5 centimetres (1 inch) in diameter, which makes it very hard to spot in the water, but can cause death to humans within days.  It is related to another deadly marine creature, the box jellyfish.

The Box Jellyfish (also known as a Sea Wasp) is a very dangerous creature to inhabit Australian waters. The Jellyfish has extreme toxins present on its tentacles, which when in contact with a human, can stop cardio-respiratory functions in as little as three minutes.
This jellyfish is responsible for more deaths in Australian than Snakes, Sharks and Salt Water Crocodiles.
The creature has a square body and inhabits the north east areas of Australia. The tentacles may reach up to 80 cms (30 inches) in length. It is found along the coast of the Great Barrier Reef.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #379 on: April 01, 2007, 03:24:13 AM »

GUM TREES OR EUCALYPTS

In California the eucalypt is so common that many people believe that it is a Californian native. With the exception of E.globulus, which is listed among the exotic pest plants of greatest concern by the California Exotic Pest Plant Council, eucalypts seem to have been generally accepted in California for their intrinsic qualities but there are understandable concerns about the widespread use of what is, after all, an alien species. An excellent account of the history, uses and environmental issues of Californian eucalypts can be found in The Eucalyptus of California: Seeds of Good or Seeds of Evil?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.