March 28, 2024, 03:07:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657447 times)
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1360 on: October 30, 2011, 07:02:28 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/spaniel-to-protect-endangered-little-penguins/story-e6freono-1226181162582

Spaniel to protect endangered Little Penguins

by: By Lauren Farrow
    October 31, 2011 8:17AM

AN English Springer Spaniel named Eco has the fate of hundreds in her hands.

The hound has been trained to protect the last remaining Little Penguin colony on mainland New South Wales.

She will sniff out the tiny endangered penguins - that stand about 30cm tall and weigh about 1kg when fully grown - as well as their biggest threats - foxes, dogs and cats.

Today marks Eco's first official day at work at Manly, in Sydney's north.

"I've trained her to passively respond when she detects a penguin burrow," her trainer Steve Austin said.

"She first stops and stares at the area where the penguin has been detected and then she paws that area when asked 'show me'."

"In contrast, when detecting foxes, Eco's response is very active whereby she vigorously digs the area when she detects a fox den."

Mr Austin said it takes Eco one hour to cover an area that would take ten people four hours to monitor.

::snipping2::

30 cm equals approx 12 inches and 1 kg is about 2 pounds.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1361 on: November 01, 2011, 11:49:14 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/team-purify-radioactive-water/story-e6freoof-1226183006214

Team purify radioactive water

by: Andrew MacDonald
    November 02, 2011 12:00AM

QUEENSLAND researchers have devised a breakthrough method of safely removing radioactive waste from contaminated waters in the aftermath of disasters such as Japan's Fukushima crisis.

The team from Queensland University of Technology believes the world-first "intelligent absorbent" could potentially eliminate the need to store millions of litres of contaminated and dangerous water following nuclear incidents.

Professor Huai-Yong Zhu (pictured right) from QUT Chemistry said the material differed from current clean-up methods such as layered clays and zeolites because the use of nanofibre and nanotube technology allowed the absorbent to remove and "lock in" contaminants.

The used absorbent can then be concentrated and disposed of without the risk of leakage.

Prof Zhu said researchers on the five-year project had successfully used the material in laboratories to absorb radioactive cesium and iodine - the two elements that have plagued Japanese authorities in the aftermath of the Fukushima disaster.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1362 on: November 01, 2011, 11:52:23 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/ian-thorpedo-thorpe-claims-he-can-be-best-in-the-world-again-as-he-prepares-for-comeback-in-singapore/story-e6frep5o-1226182939865

Ian 'Thorpedo' Thorpe claims he can be best in the world again as he prepares for comeback in Singapore

by: Rebecca Wilson
    November 02, 2011 12:00AM

A STREAMLINED Ian Thorpe says he can be the best in the world again as the swim superstar prepares to return to the pool for the first time since 2006.

In an exclusive interview with The Courier-Mail, Thorpe says the nerves are kicking in ahead of his comeback in Singapore on Friday.

He trained for the first time in Singapore yesterday after a gruelling fortnight of altitude torture tests in the Swiss Alps.

The 29-year-old has shed 10kg in less than a year and is 4kg lighter than his last Olympic campaign in Athens.

"It's a combination of excitement and nerves and, apart from jet lag, I'm happy to be here in Singapore where I've never raced before," Thorpe said.

"I'm coming off a pretty heavy training program. My body feels good and it's slowly dawning on me, I'm about to race again. But at the same time, I'm nervous because I just don't know what to expect."

Thorpe will compete in the 100m butterfly and individual medley at his comeback races on Friday and Saturday.

He will swim the same events in Beijing next week and a few days later in Tokyo.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1363 on: November 07, 2011, 06:12:22 PM »

A very long article but interesting to see how Bindi has matured from a precocious child, thrust into the spotlight, and is now becoming a self assured but normal and very likeable early teenager.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/bindi-ready-to-take-on-the-world/story-fn7x8me2-1226186363347

Bindi Irwin ready to take on the world

by: Wendy Tuohy
    November 05, 2011 12:00AM

FIVE years after the death of her famous father Steve, Bindi Irwin, 13, is firmly installed as the face of the Australia Zoo empire. But is she for real? Wendy Tuohy is pleasantly surprised.

YOU may not suspect Bindi Irwin of having a cheeky sense of humour.

A vast general knowledge, poise and confidence beyond her years, even earnestness: these are things you might expect to find in a girl who's grown up in the media spotlight.

So what surprises me, on meeting this pint-sized powerhouse, is that despite everything she's been through and all she strives to project, Bindi is up for a laugh.

When I ask her where she gets her maturity and the ability to shoulder the legacy of her late father Steve without letting it seem a burden (immediately realising what a hard question this is for a 13-year-old), she giggles and chirps: "Hmmm, yes, I've asked that of myself!

" 'Self, self', I said," she jokes, her finger posed cartoonishly on her chin, her tone suggesting she, too, recognises the ridiculousness of a journalist expecting deep self-analysis from someone whose peers are more concerned with downloading games on their iPods.

But when the laughing stops, she has a pretty weighty answer.

"My Dad was such an incredible person," she says, "and you have the option of just curling up in a dark corner and letting it all go or you have the option of standing strong, sticking together and carrying on what he lived and died for. And I think that's what's so important - to be able to carry on where he left off.

"When someone like that comes along and leaves such a huge footprint and imprint, you can't just let that die. You have to continue." She says this soft-voiced but dry-eyed.

It would be tempting to believe that Bindi, the Jungle Girl, star performer at her family's Australia Zoo Crocoseum, actor and winner of a Daytime Emmy Award, had been coached to deliver this kind of polished and assured answer. But having spent the best part of a day with Bindi and her mother Terri, I can safely say I don't believe it for a minute.

Bindi is simply an extraordinary girl. Actually, an extraordinary young woman.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1364 on: November 08, 2011, 10:31:47 PM »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/ned-kelly-granted-dying-wish/story-fn7x8me2-1226189406279

Ned Kelly granted dying wish

by: Grant McArthur
    November 09, 2011 12:00AM

NED Kelly's final wish has been granted almost 131 years after his execution, paving the way for him to be buried near his mother, brothers and sisters in a simple grave.

Kelly's family is now considering a public memorial to farewell the nation's most notorious son.

The Herald Sun can reveal Attorney-General Robert Clark yesterday agreed to return Kelly's bullet-riddled remains to his descendants so they could meet his final request to be buried in consecrated ground.

A small cemetery in the Greta church yard south of Glenrowan - where Kelly's mother Ellen, several of his brothers and sisters and other relatives rest in unmarked graves - is their preferred option.

But hundreds of members of the wider family must now be consulted.

Kelly's family, Heritage Victoria and the State Government have been at pains to stress his grave should not become a shrine for devotees of the bushranger.

But the likely burial place's proximity to the popular Kelly trail makes it almost certain to become a tourist attraction.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1365 on: November 09, 2011, 11:25:33 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/aussie-troops-shot-dead-in-afghanistan/story-e6frfkvr-1226180499845

Three Australian soldiers killed in Afghanistan

AAP
October 30, 2011 1:39PM

JULIA Gillard has declared it "a bitter day" for the nation after the deaths of three "fine Australians" in Afghanistan.

But she has asked the public not to judge the progress Australian forces are making on the one incident alone.

"Despite the gravity of this incident, and the horror of this incident, we are making progress in training members of the Afghan National Army," she said.

"We can't allow our will to be undermined by the kinds of attacks that are aimed at corroding trust," she said.

The three soldiers were shot by an Afghan soldier during a parade yesterday morning. Seven other Australians were wounded and an Afghan interpreter was killed.

The lone gunman was shot and killed as the Australians returned fire.

Ms Gillard said: "I am unbelievably conscious of the suffering for families, of the sufferings of the nation as we see these losses.

"I am also very conscious of the need to see the mission through."
ADF chief General David Hurley said: "It is difficult to find the words to express our profound sorrow and sense of loss at this time," he said.

Defence Minister Stephen Smith said it was a terrible day for the nation, and had taken the overall Afghan death toll to 32.

The dead - a corporal, captain and lance corporal - were members of the Mentoring Task Force in southern Afghanistan.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/aussie-troops-shot-dead-in-afghanistan/story-e6frfkvr-1226180499845#ixzz1dGzSKNZ4

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1366 on: November 09, 2011, 11:33:31 PM »

http://www.perthnow.com.au/friend-or-foe-more-aussie-diggers-shot-in-another-rogue-attack/story-fn6cmyjj-1226190633943

ON THE RUN: Rogue soldier missing after new attack on Diggers

by: Nathan Klein and Ian McPhedran
    November 09, 2011 6:28PM

DEFENCE Minister Stephen Smith says it will be easier to determine what motivated an Afghan soldier to turn his weapons on Australian diggers if he's captured alive.

Three soldiers were seriously wounded late yesterday when a rogue member of the Afghan National Army turned on Australia's mentoring taskforce with an automatic weapon and a grenade launcher.

Mr Smith said today it was too early to say if it was a Taliban-backed attack or an individual acting alone.

"We don't want to, and can't, rush to judgment," he told Sky News.

"It's always difficult to get to motivation."

But Mr Smith suggested it would be easier if the shooter was captured alive.

The Afghan soldier was pursued by his countrymen but escaped in an ANA vehicle.

Another attack within days on our brave troops fighting for freedom and training Afghan troops to defend their own country.

Posted with thanks for their sacrifices on our behalf and support for their families.  Our National observation of Remembrance Day is tomorrow.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1367 on: November 10, 2011, 09:51:33 AM »

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1368 on: November 10, 2011, 09:52:33 AM »

A very long article but interesting to see how Bindi has matured from a precocious child, thrust into the spotlight, and is now becoming a self assured but normal and very likeable early teenager.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/bindi-ready-to-take-on-the-world/story-fn7x8me2-1226186363347

Bindi Irwin ready to take on the world

by: Wendy Tuohy
    November 05, 2011 12:00AM

FIVE years after the death of her famous father Steve, Bindi Irwin, 13, is firmly installed as the face of the Australia Zoo empire. But is she for real? Wendy Tuohy is pleasantly surprised.

YOU may not suspect Bindi Irwin of having a cheeky sense of humour.

A vast general knowledge, poise and confidence beyond her years, even earnestness: these are things you might expect to find in a girl who's grown up in the media spotlight.

So what surprises me, on meeting this pint-sized powerhouse, is that despite everything she's been through and all she strives to project, Bindi is up for a laugh.

When I ask her where she gets her maturity and the ability to shoulder the legacy of her late father Steve without letting it seem a burden (immediately realising what a hard question this is for a 13-year-old), she giggles and chirps: "Hmmm, yes, I've asked that of myself!

" 'Self, self', I said," she jokes, her finger posed cartoonishly on her chin, her tone suggesting she, too, recognises the ridiculousness of a journalist expecting deep self-analysis from someone whose peers are more concerned with downloading games on their iPods.

But when the laughing stops, she has a pretty weighty answer.

"My Dad was such an incredible person," she says, "and you have the option of just curling up in a dark corner and letting it all go or you have the option of standing strong, sticking together and carrying on what he lived and died for. And I think that's what's so important - to be able to carry on where he left off.

"When someone like that comes along and leaves such a huge footprint and imprint, you can't just let that die. You have to continue." She says this soft-voiced but dry-eyed.

It would be tempting to believe that Bindi, the Jungle Girl, star performer at her family's Australia Zoo Crocoseum, actor and winner of a Daytime Emmy Award, had been coached to deliver this kind of polished and assured answer. But having spent the best part of a day with Bindi and her mother Terri, I can safely say I don't believe it for a minute.

Bindi is simply an extraordinary girl. Actually, an extraordinary young woman.

Thanks for sharing this . . . I have always thought she was such a marvelous young girl.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1369 on: November 13, 2011, 08:35:55 PM »

Thank you Sister.   

Following on our Remembrance Day and your Veterans Day this is an interesting and poignant item about photographs of WW1 soldiers  taken in France and recently discovered.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/blogs/article/-/8900933/the-lost-diggers/

The Lost Diggers

Ninety-five years ago, in a small French village a short march from the allied frontlines against the German army, a husband and wife team began a unique historical record of the First World War which has stayed hidden – until now.

For the first time in nearly a century, SUNDAY NIGHT viewers can see part of a massive collection of photographic glass plates taken during the First World War which eminent historians are now hailing as ‘priceless’ and as one of the most important ever historical discoveries from that conflict.

The sensational discovery was made by a SUNDAY NIGHT team in France in early February. After following up rumours of a secret collection of photographs they found over 3,000 fragile photographic glass plate negatives in the attic of a dilapidated farmhouse in the small town of Vignacourt two hours drive north of Paris, near Amiens.

Nearly 500 of the plates – donated by a relative of the photographers – have been brought back to Australia by SUNDAY NIGHT and carefully processed so that the images can be seen for the first time since the War.

All of the images are never-seen-before candid and often delightfully informal shots of Australian, British, American, Canadian and other allied soldiers enjoying time in the village, which was used during the war as a rest centre for soldiers who had recently survived the carnage of battles on the Somme and Flanders.

The Thuilliers shot their souvenir photographs of French, British, Australian, Canadian, Indian, and South African soldiers and even Chinese labourers as regiments from each country visited the village for rest and recuperation from the frontlines. The soldiers were often billeted with local families and some of the pictures show local children and mademoiselles posing with the Diggers and other soldiers.

For many of the soldiers the photo shoots were a brief happy lull before they went on to be slaughtered in subsequent battles between 1916 and November 1918 when the war finally ended. Many of the photographs are taken of Australian soldiers from the 1st and 5th Division in November and December of 1916 just after they survived the carnage of battles at Pozieres and Fromelles. At Pozieres alone, in just four days, 5,285 Australian soldiers were killed or wounded.

Intriguingly, only a handful of the positive photographic prints from these thousands of Thuillier negatives have ever surfaced in official collections in Australia. The War Memorial had long puzzled over a distinctive painted backdrop seen behind soldiers in some of the photographs they hold from the Somme fighting, but while historians suspected there was a much larger collection to be found, no-one expected the scale and quality of what has now surfaced.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1370 on: November 13, 2011, 08:42:21 PM »

http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/features/article/-/11555655/the-lost-diggers-come-home/

The Lost Diggers come home

Reporter: Ross Coulthart
Article by: Ross Coulthart

Date: 13 November, 2011

In February Sunday Night aired its original story on the Seven Network in Australia revealing the discovery of the Thuillier photographic collection of World War One soldiers in a French farmhouse attic.

Until now, we had uploaded only a fraction of the extraordinary, candid, and often delightfully informal images of Australian and other allied soldiers at rest in a small French village of Vignacourt just behind the horrors of the frontlines of the western front.

The public reaction to even those few hundred images was and remains overwhelming. The number of page views from hundreds of thousands of viewers on both our website and Facebook pages is now well into the many millions. So many people have taken the time to search among the images for a possible glimpse of a loved one – a grandfather, father, great uncle, uncle – and we are delighted that the power of social media has worked so well to bring families in touch with a piece of history that they did not know about.

The outpouring of emotion at this discovery has humbled and thrilled us as journalists. There was a strict ban on any other photography other than that authorised by the British military forces on the western front and so the thousands of Thuillier images have filled a gap in our history. But what makes the pictures so special is their intimacy. Vignacourt was where these soldiers came to let their hair down on their way to and from the frontlines. Shot by a husband and wife team, Louis and Antoinette Thuillier (pictured below), many of the photographs show a larrikin, playful, side to the soldiers that you rarely see in more formal posed military photographs.

http://www.facebook.com/lostdiggers

Photographs and videos at these three links. The facebook page is public. 

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1371 on: November 13, 2011, 08:50:31 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/world/obamamobile-arrives-in-canberra-for-the-us-president-barack-obama/story-e6freoox-1226194110217

Obamamobile arrives in Canberra for the US President Barack Obama

by: By Gemma Jones
    November 14, 2011 5:50AM

THE might of the US military has arrived in Canberra ahead of President Barack Obama's visit to the national capital on Wednesday.

A C-17 Globemaster which is believed to have on board the President's Cadillac limousine, dubbed the Obamamobile, touched down on Saturday.

The car travels the world with the President and can reportedly repel any kind of attack, including one using chemical weapons. A US Marine Corps Black Hawk helicopter was patrolling over the nation's capital yesterday and US officials have been in Canberra for days planning the trip.It is the third time the President has made plans to visit Australia. He cancelled the first visit due to hurdles with healthcare legislation and the second so he could stay home and deal with the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Australia's elite fighter jets will take to the skies from today for security drills in preparation for US President Barack Obama's arrival on Wednesday.

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1372 on: November 13, 2011, 08:56:14 PM »

Re: The lost Diggers

I find this to be fascinating. After all these years to find such a national treasure trove.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1373 on: November 23, 2011, 12:43:41 AM »

Re: The lost Diggers

I find this to be fascinating. After all these years to find such a national treasure trove.

It is astonishing 4 Donks.  And the photographs include soldiers from other countries as well.  I hope they can all be identified.  It was very emotional to watch the reactions of some of their descendants, many of whom had not been born when these men died in the conflict, when watching pictures taken of the collection.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1374 on: November 23, 2011, 12:45:45 AM »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/bruce-and-denise-morcombe-named-queenslands-australians-of-the-year/story-e6frf7jx-1226198810620

Bruce and Denise Morcombe named Queensland's Australians of the Year

by: By Rob Kidd
    November 18, 2011 11:57AM

THE parents of Daniel Morcombe have been named Queensland Australians of the Year after being honoured alongside some of the state's finest community heroes.

Bruce and Denise Morcombe received the award for their tireless work as child protection advocates since the death of their 13-year-old son Daniel, who was last seen alive eight years ago.

The Morcombes established the Daniel Morcombe Foundation in 2005 with a commitment to educate children about personal safety and raising awareness for their protection. They have travelled to schools across the state to spread their message and hold an annual "Day for Daniel" and "Walk for Daniel".

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1375 on: November 23, 2011, 12:48:17 AM »

http://australianoftheyear.org.au/pages/page553.asp

Australian of the Year Awards History

Samuel Furphy

Since its inception in 1960 the Australian of the Year Award has provided a focal point for Australia Day celebrations and a forum for the recognition of outstanding achievement. The official announcement has grown to become a major public event, with thousands of onlookers witnessing the televised ceremony in Canberra. The award offers an insight into Australian identity, reflecting the nation’s evolving relationship with Britain and the world, the role of sport in Australian culture, the impact of multiculturalism, and the special status of Australia’s Indigenous people. It has also provoked spirited debate about the fields of endeavour that are most worthy of public recognition. In this way the awards have advanced a national conversation – they have encouraged citizens to consider, who are the ‘Australians who make us proud’?

n 2006 Prime Minister John Howard officially opened the Australian of the Year Walk, a tribute to the award winners on the south shore of Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra. It features five parallel metal strips set flush with the ground and a series of bollards topped with plaques to honour each year’s winners. The musically literate will discern that each bollard represents a note on a musical stave, and that the tune of ‘Advance Australia Fair’ is written along the shore of the lake. The Australian of the Year award represents only one of many ways in which national identity is expressed, but for five decades it has provided an intriguing perspective on the nation’s evolving character. Each year, as pundits debate the merits of the latest choice, they contribute to an ongoing conversation about Australia’s past, present and future. There might not be consensus, but the awards encourage a public dialogue about national identity and the values of a civil society.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1376 on: November 23, 2011, 12:51:44 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/hundreds-mourn-quakers-hill-victims-at-quakers-hill-anglican-church/story-e6frfkvr-1226203488010

Hundreds mourn Quakers Hill victims at Quakers Hill Anglican Church

By Nathan Klein and Rosemarie Lentini
The Daily Telegraph
November 23, 2011 4:25PM

HUNDREDS of people devastated by the deadly Friday morning blaze at Quakers Hill have flocked to Quakers Hill Anglican Church for a special tribute service this morning.

Friends and families of those affected by the nursing home filled the church for the emotional interdenominational service.

The service was attended by State Premier Barry O’Farrell, State Opposition leader John Robertson and NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione.

Paramedics, police officers and firefighters who were first on the scene also attended the service, watching from outside the church.

Reverend Geoff Bates, who conducted the service, told the church it was important to reflect and acknowledge Friday's tragedy.

"We want to pause and reflect. This is not the time for blame but to see life for what it is," he said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/hundreds-mourn-quakers-hill-victims-at-quakers-hill-anglican-church/story-e6frfkvr-1226203488010#ixzz1eVLs4pg4

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1377 on: November 23, 2011, 01:11:18 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/nursing-home-in-quakers-hill-bursts-into-flames/story-e6frfkvr-1226199568260

Quakers Hill: Police charge man after fire in Sydney nursing home leaves five dead, 14 serious

By Clementine Cuneo and AAP
The Daily Telegraph
November 19, 2011 1:13PM

A registered nurse has appeared in court charged with four counts of murder after a fatal fire at a nursing home in Sydney's west.

Roger Dean, 35, appeared via video link before magistrate Andrew George at Parramatta Local Court this morning.

Mr Dean said nothing during the court appearance and appeared calm.

The 35-year-old, a Quakers Hill resident who was wearing a black Nike jumper, did not apply for bail, and it was refused.

He was taken back to custody and will next appear in Central Local Court on Thursday.

Mr Dean is believed to have worked at the home for only a short time, police say.

Police said it was expected to take some time to piece together what happened after two fires are believed to have broken out in separate wings of the Quakers Hill nursing home in the early hours yesterday morning.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/nursing-home-in-quakers-hill-bursts-into-flames/story-e6frfkvr-1226199568260#ixzz1eVN22bjB

The man charged with lighting these fires was interviewed by television reporters at the scene of the fire and was giving details of how he helped rescue some of the residents.  It is surely time to go back to the older methods of punishment for horrific crimes like this.  Being burnt at the stake sounds an appropriate punishment in this instance.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1378 on: November 23, 2011, 01:22:56 AM »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/roger-kingsley-dean-35-has-been-charged-over-nursing-home-fire-at-quakers-hill/story-fn7x8me2-1226200215934

Roger Kingsley Dean charged over Quakers Hill nursing home fire

by: Yoni Bashan and Caroline Marcus
    November 20, 2011 5:00PM

Police allege that Mr Dean, a night-shift worker at the home, was one of four carers on duty at the time of the fire, which engulfed the residence about 4.55am, trapping 88 elderly residents, many suffering dementia.

Not long after they were evacuated from the inferno, Mr Dean, covered in ash and soot, was hailed as a hero for his part in the dramatic rescue of some of the residents.

"I did what I could to get everyone out," Mr Dean told television news crews.

"The flames were overwhelming".

As more than 100 firefighters battled to contain the blaze and emergency workers laboured through the devastation, Mr Dean allegedly remained at the scene, inside the police tape, observing the clean-up effort from a police mobile command centre across the road.

Authorities believe that the fire started in two separate rooms of the nursing home. The fires were ignited moments apart.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard described the fire as a "very, very dark day".

"To imagine frail elderly people caught up in a fire like that, at risk of being engulfed by the flames, is truly horrifying," she said.

"I do want to issue words of thanks, too, to the staff of the nursing home who played a role in the rescue efforts and to our remarkable fire authorities and police who do the most amazing things in the most difficult of circumstances."

Night nurses who were on duty when the fire broke out returned to the scene yesterday to pay their respects to the residents who died and those in hospital.

They laid a bunch of flowers outside the front of the nursing home along with a card, which read, "To our residents, you are all in our heart (sic) and minds. Love the night staff."

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1379 on: November 23, 2011, 01:27:42 AM »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/best-dog-ruins-bride-marlene-koenigs-wedding/story-fn7x8me2-1226202943910

'Best dog' ruins bride Marlene Koenig's wedding

by: Kelly Ryan
    November 23, 2011 12:00AM

THE honeymoon was over before it began. "Best dog" Iggy left the bride in tears, the groom gutted and guests abandoning the wedding bash to chase tail.

Marlene Koenig's dream of a wonderful white wedding at a historic Mount Martha mansion turned to mud on Saturday when her canine ring-bearer turned tail and took off just after the cutting of the cake.

The beautiful bride was left bedraggled, traipsing through mud in torrential rain looking for her party-pooping pooch.

It appears Iggy the Australian bulldog, having discharged her duty and delivered the rings, accompanied two guests out to their car and then chased them as they left.

"They believe they saw her get hit by another car and they then lost sight of her. They came back and told me and I decided not to tell anyone so as not to spoil the party, but then I lost it," the bride said.

Mrs Koenig spent three days scouring the suburbs and was delighted when Iggy was found safe yesterday.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.