March 28, 2024, 04:43:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657468 times)
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1420 on: December 24, 2011, 02:18:35 AM »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-24/watson-rated-class-favourite/3746518

Watson rated class favourite

Posted December 24, 2011 12:48:04

The boat of Sydney to Hobart rookie and Young Australian of the Year Jessica Watson has been rated the favourite in its class by one of her major rivals, The Goat.

Watson 18, is skipper of Ella Bache Another Challenge, which will carry the youngest crew in the race's history.

All 10 are 21 or younger and the average age of the crew is 19, one year above the minimum age for competitors in the race.

It is one of eight Sydney 38 boats in the fleet, with the identical one-design yachts invariably finishing close together.

Despite their youth, the crew aboard Ella Bache Another Challenge boast plenty of ocean racing experience and have spent several weeks training together.

::snipping2::

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1421 on: December 24, 2011, 02:20:46 AM »

http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/editorial.asp?key=540

The Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race Official Site.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1422 on: December 24, 2011, 04:21:47 PM »

I think I got them all and I have had fun as it is interesting to see what American terms I have picked up during my years with the monkeys.  Thank you for asking grace-land and I hope it helps with your Aussie rellies (Australian relatives)

Thank you, Tibro, for the translation; it was a great help!  The Aussie version is cute and funny. 
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1423 on: December 30, 2011, 05:29:23 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/trapped-in-her-car-after-rolling-over-deborah-mcknights-three-days-of-hell/story-e6freooo-1226232971660

Trapped in her car after rolling over - Deborah McKnight tried to amputate her own leg

by: Patrick Lion
    December 30, 2011 12:00AM

A GRANDMOTHER who survived 75 hours pinned under her car tried to amputate her own leg to set herself free after her mobile phone battery died as she tried to call for help.

Deborah McKnight's family yesterday revealed the agonising details of her three-day ordeal trapped under her car after it rolled over an embankment beside an isolated country road on Christmas Day.

Her recovered mobile phone shows she tried six times to ring triple-0 - from an area prone to poor reception - before the phone lost power.

Her daughter Ebony last night also revealed the frantic text messages she sent her mother as the family became more and more worried.

"It was very traumatic," she said.

"She told me she tried to cut her leg off but she couldn't get through the bone. I don't know what she used.

"I felt sick when she told me that. She doesn't know how she survived, she said she thought of her grandkids and kids. She is very tough.

"She is a fighter. I love her. She did me proud."

Ms McKnight, 45, who lives alone in Tumut, in the state's south, was driving along Wondolga Rd about 3pm on Christmas day after dropping Ebony and grandchildren Brianna, 1, and Jayden, 2, at nearby Batlow.

She told police she swerved to miss a kangaroo and lost control of her Holden Commodore, which was still full of the kids' Christmas presents.

The car crashed through a guard rail and over an embankment, tumbling upside-down as it hurtled 30m from the road and 15m down a cliff - until its fall was stopped by a tree. It landed, almost hidden, on its roof.

Ms McKnight's leg was folded underneath the car between the roof and the ground, crushing it and making it impossible to move.

And there she waited for 75 long hours. As the heat and a Boxing Day hail storm made her fight for survival even tougher, Ms McKnight tried to scream for help as vehicles passed on the road above.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1424 on: December 30, 2011, 05:35:36 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/investigation-into-boxing-day-fire-yet-to-determine-clear-cause-of-blaze-that-killed-rachael-starlia-sage-and-willow-golinksi/story-e6freoof-1226232180239

Investigation into Boxing Day fire yet to determine clear cause of blaze that killed Rachael, Starlia, Sage and Willow Golinksi

by: Peter Hall and Kristin Shorten
    December 29, 2011 12:00AM

TELEVISION chef Matt Golinski may be the only one who can help investigators unlock the cause of the Sunshine Coast fire that killed his wife and three daughters.

The Courier-Mail understands the investigation is yet to determine a clear cause of the blaze that claimed 38-year-old mum Rachael Golinski and the couple's daughters Starlia, 10, and 12-year-old twins Sage and Willow in the early hours of Boxing Day.

Mr Golinski remains critical but stable at the Royal Brisbane Hospital with severe burns to 40 per cent of his body.

It is understood a Christmas candle is being considered a possible cause.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1425 on: December 30, 2011, 05:39:07 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/world/australian-woman-found-in-forest-in-argentina-after-going-missing-for-four-days/story-e6freoqo-1226233307721

Australian woman found in forest in Argentina after going missing for four days

December 30, 2011 6:33PM

A YOUNG Perth woman has been taken by helicopter to an Argentinian hospital, after going missing while hiking in mountains in Patagonia.

The 23-year-old woman, named in Western Australia as Emma Kelly, was reported missing on December 26, after she failed to return from a mountain trek on Cajon Del Azul, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said in a statement today.

Miss Kelly had reportedly been travelling in Argentina and volunteering at a local church.

It is believed she had travelled to El Bolson, Argentina, to meet an Australian friend.

Search parties were sent out. A Reuters video report said she was found yesterday, local time, severely dehydrated and suffering wounds, Fairfax Media reported.

Perth Reverend Geoffrey Westlake, who knows Miss Kelly and her family, told PerthNow her parents had spoken to their daughter and were now concentrating on getting her home.

"She was very stressed. Three days in the mountains without water, without food, without warm clothes - it's no small thing," a local doctor said.

Local news outlets reported she had also been attacked.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1426 on: December 30, 2011, 05:42:05 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/jessica-watson-finishes-her-first-sydney-to-hobart-with-a-traditional-splash/story-e6frep5o-1226233463570

Jessica Watson finishes her first Sydney to Hobart with a traditional dunking at Constitution dock

by: Amanda Lulham
    December 30, 2011 3:51PM

JESSICA Watson has arrived in Hobart to a hero's welcome after completing her first Sydney to Hobart with the youngest crew ever to contest the race.

Watson's crewmate Will Broughton threw her into Constitution Dock on their arrival in Hobart this afternoon.
As the 18-year-old emptied her sea boots of water she laughed with her crewmates at being given the traditional skippers dunking.

"That was so much fun," she said of competing in her first Sydney to Hobart.

"It was quite amazing."

Watson said she and her team had experienced everything she had expected from a Hobart, including tough upwind conditions.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1427 on: December 30, 2011, 08:30:32 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2080211/Samoa-calendar-change-Samoans-lose-24-hours-island-moves-international-dateline.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Friday's cancelled: Samoans lose 24 hours of their lives as island jumps over international dateline

By Emma Reynolds

Last updated at 9:09 PM on 30th December 2011

Today is the day that Samoans will never see.

The tiny South Pacific island is moving west over the international dateline, and its citizens will lose a day of their lives as they jump 24 hours ahead.

When the clock struck midnight on Thursday, the calendar flipped over to Saturday, switching from the same time zone as the U.S. to that of Asia, New Zealand and Australia.

Samoans gathered around a clock tower in the capital of Apia for the historic moment, applauding as fireworks exploded in celebration.

Drivers circled the clock tower blaring their horns, and prayer services were held across the country.

Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi told Radio New Zealand that the drastic move would lead to major improvements in trade and tourism.

'No longer shall we have people ringing us up from New Zealand and Australia thinking it is Monday when we are closing our eyes and praying at churches,' he said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2080211/Samoa-calendar-change-Samoans-lose-24-hours-island-moves-international-dateline.html#ixzz1i4Tu7nEL

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1428 on: December 30, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2080211/Samoa-calendar-change-Samoans-lose-24-hours-island-moves-international-dateline.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Friday's cancelled: Samoans lose 24 hours of their lives as island jumps over international dateline

By Emma Reynolds

The tiny South Pacific island is moving west over the international dateline, and its citizens will lose a day of their lives as they jump 24 hours ahead.

When the clock struck midnight on Thursday, the calendar flipped over to Saturday, switching from the same time zone as the U.S. to that of Asia, New Zealand and Australia.

Samoans gathered around a clock tower in the capital of Apia for the historic moment, applauding as fireworks exploded in celebration.

Drivers circled the clock tower blaring their horns, and prayer services were held across the country.

Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi told Radio New Zealand that the drastic move would lead to major improvements in trade and tourism.

'No longer shall we have people ringing us up from New Zealand and Australia thinking it is Monday when we are closing our eyes and praying at churches,' he said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2080211/Samoa-calendar-change-Samoans-lose-24-hours-island-moves-international-dateline.html#ixzz1i4Tu7nEL

This is so interesting.  Losing a day . . . on purpose lol.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1429 on: December 30, 2011, 08:45:51 PM »

By Emma Reynolds

This is so interesting.  Losing a day . . . on purpose lol.

So easy to lose a day without even trying.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1430 on: December 30, 2011, 08:52:09 PM »

ain't that the truth!

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1431 on: December 30, 2011, 08:53:56 PM »

Wishing all my monkey friends a very Happy New Year.  May 2012 bring love, prosperity and health for yourselves and those you love.

I know we all wish for missing persons to be found and for the abuse of adults, children and animals to cease.  How can we all consider this is a civilised world when some of the population treat others that are weaker or less fortunate in such a cruel way.  I pray that 2012 will bring an upsurge of compassion for all and that everyone will learn to care for each other.

an angelic monkey

Some ways that Australians will be greeting 2012 :

http://www.newyearseve.com.au/

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1432 on: December 30, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/australia/new-year-day

New Year's Day marks the start of a new year according to the Gregorian calendar, which was introduced to Australia by European settlers. It replaced the Julian calendar, which used a year that was slightly shorter than the solar year. Over time, the seasons moved out of line with their positions on the calendar. The Gregorian calendar was introduced by Pope Gregory XIII on February 24, 1582. It was adopted immediately in some areas of Europe, such as Spain, Portugal and parts of Italy, but it took hundreds of years before it was used throughout Europe. In Great Britain, it was introduced in 1752.

The start of the year according to the Gregorian calendar is not the only New Year observed in Australia. For instance, Australia's tax year begins on July 1 and the Asian lunar year starts on the second or third new moon after the December solstice, sometime between January 21 and February 20. The Hindu, Coptic, Jalali, Jewish and Islamic New Years are also celebrated in some communities.

Before the European settlers arrived in Australia, Indigenous Australians used a variety of methods to track the passing of the seasons. Some reflected patterns of weather conditions and the life cycle of different plants. For instance, the people of the Crocodile Islands of Arnhem Land recognize six seasons that are important in their ritual life, movements around the land and how they hunt. Since the timing of this type of event can vary from year to year, the relationship between these and the Gregorian calendar changes.

However, this type of calendar was important in maintaining the connection between Indigenous Australians and their land. The movement patterns of the stars were also important to many Indigenous Australians. They used this method to predict when certain plants were ready for harvesting or when they could supplement their diet with migratory birds.

Babybear
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1433 on: December 31, 2011, 01:04:37 PM »

Tibrogargan--

I was reading your posts last night and noticed the picture of the "Southern Cross," at the bottom, as well as the lovely Australian flag which features it with a couple of other stars.  We can't see it in the northern hemisphere, but we have the big and little dippers.  I looked up the constellation the "Southern Cross" on several websites and it has an interesting history of influencing various civilizations, and is featured on the flags of New Zealand and Brazil as well as some other countries. 

This is of no particular importance except it was interesting to me, but then I am interested in everything.  I enjoy reading your posts about happenings in Australia and wish you a Happy New Year, which I believe you have already celebrated while we are waiting until tonight.

Wrong is wrong, even if everybody does it.
Right is right, even if nobody does it. ~ Unknown
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1434 on: December 31, 2011, 03:19:46 PM »

May you and your family have a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2012!  Happy New Year!
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1435 on: December 31, 2011, 06:01:57 PM »

Wishing all my monkey friends a very Happy New Year.  May 2012 bring love, prosperity and health for yourselves and those you love.

I know we all wish for missing persons to be found and for the abuse of adults, children and animals to cease.  How can we all consider this is a civilised world when some of the population treat others that are weaker or less fortunate in such a cruel way.  I pray that 2012 will bring an upsurge of compassion for all and that everyone will learn to care for each other.

an angelic monkey

Thank you for all you have done and or doing to help us learn about another part of our world.  May you be richly blessed in this coming year!

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1436 on: January 02, 2012, 01:14:57 AM »

Tibrogargan--

I was reading your posts last night and noticed the picture of the "Southern Cross," at the bottom, as well as the lovely Australian flag which features it with a couple of other stars.  We can't see it in the northern hemisphere, but we have the big and little dippers.  I looked up the constellation the "Southern Cross" on several websites and it has an interesting history of influencing various civilizations, and is featured on the flags of New Zealand and Brazil as well as some other countries. 

This is of no particular importance except it was interesting to me, but then I am interested in everything.  I enjoy reading your posts about happenings in Australia and wish you a Happy New Year, which I believe you have already celebrated while we are waiting until tonight.

Many thanks for your interest Babybear.  We did move into 2012 ahead of you with much fanfare of fireworks and the usual celebrations and enjoying the very warm winter, while I believe you could be experiencing snow in some areas.  Happy New Year to you and your family.

I did spend some time finding a photo of the Southern Cross constellation for my siggy line as most pics do not show it clearly owing to it being in the brightest part of the Milky Way, although it is very clear to see in our night sky with the naked eye.  Not shown are the two bright "pointer" star.

As you have found the New Zealand flag only depicts the Southern Cross where our flag shows the Southern Cross accompanied by a seven pointed star known as the Commonwealth Star.  Six points represent the six Australian states and the seventh for all the remaining territories.

You have given me an idea for a post, here which I will make after finishing my thank you posts, as some others also may be interested in the Aboriginal legends of the Southern Cross and how they relied on it for their lifestyle changes.

I always welcome all suggestions for what subjects would interest my monkey friends.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1437 on: January 02, 2012, 01:17:05 AM »

May you and your family have a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2012!  Happy New Year!

Thank you grace-land.  Happy New Year to you and your family also.

May 2012 be the year we discover the answers to many of our missing persons cases.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1438 on: January 02, 2012, 01:20:44 AM »

an angelic monkey

Thank you for all you have done and or doing to help us learn about another part of our world.  May you be richly blessed in this coming year!

Bless you also Sister.  I gain much comfort and peace from your postings, as your ministry flows through these pages.  Thank you.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1439 on: January 02, 2012, 01:23:41 AM »

http://www.uws.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/16130/Astronomy_in_aboriginal_culture.pdf

Astronomy in Aboriginal culture

The Aboriginal people of Australia have
lived for well over 40 000 years on the
Australian continent and their descendents
still enjoy the wonderful spectacle of the
Milky Way galaxy directly overhead. In that long
period they built an astronomical knowledge system
that they absorbed into their social, cultural
and religious life. They passed this down in oral
form from one generation to another as a living
system of knowledge which they still cherish and
enjoy. The astronomical knowledge system they
constructed is different from that of modern-day
physicists and astronomers. It is not based on the
hypothetico-deductive system that physicists and
astronomers use and validate by observation and
experiment; rather it is a knowledge system based
on other knowledge traditions – traditions that do
not require or are not amenable to falsification of
its tenets because it is socio-cultural astronomy.
Southern Cross
The Aboriginal people were in all probability
some of the first human beings to name the celestial
objects in the night sky. According to Daisy
Bates, a Commonwealth Aboriginal Protector
who lived with them for more than 40 years of
her life in the late 19th and early 20th centuries:
“Many of the star groups which we call
constellations were divided and named by the
Aborigines thousands of centuries before ancient
Egyptians or early Greek astronomers observed
and named them,” (Bates 1923). Thus, the most
conspicuous and well known constellation in
the southern hemisphere, the Southern Cross,
was known as the “Eagle’s foot” while “the
Pointers of the Cross being the Eagle’s Club and
long before Canopus was named by some early
Egyptian astronomer it was known to the central
Australian Aborigines as joorr-joorr”.
The well known and late Aboriginal poet Kath
Walker (Oodgeroo Noonuccal) expresses the
same sentiment when she talks about the origin
of the Southern Cross. When she was growing
up on Stradbroke Island off the coast of Queensland
she was told stories of how the Southern
Cross came into being.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.