March 28, 2024, 03:25:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657454 times)
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1440 on: January 02, 2012, 03:07:13 AM »

I was interrupted when posting the above and missed putting in the snipped symbol, as it was taken from a much longer and very interesting article.  Sorry, and I promise not to do it again.

::snipping2::

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1441 on: January 02, 2012, 05:23:29 AM »

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1442 on: January 02, 2012, 08:32:08 AM »

http://www.uws.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/16130/Astronomy_in_aboriginal_culture.pdf

Astronomy in Aboriginal culture

The Aboriginal people of Australia have
lived for well over 40 000 years on the
Australian continent and their descendents
still enjoy the wonderful spectacle of the
Milky Way galaxy directly overhead. In that long
period they built an astronomical knowledge system
that they absorbed into their social, cultural
and religious life. They passed this down in oral
form from one generation to another as a living
system of knowledge which they still cherish and
enjoy. The astronomical knowledge system they
constructed is different from that of modern-day
physicists and astronomers. It is not based on the
hypothetico-deductive system that physicists and
astronomers use and validate by observation and
experiment; rather it is a knowledge system based
on other knowledge traditions – traditions that do
not require or are not amenable to falsification of
its tenets because it is socio-cultural astronomy.
Southern Cross
The Aboriginal people were in all probability
some of the first human beings to name the celestial
objects in the night sky. According to Daisy
Bates, a Commonwealth Aboriginal Protector
who lived with them for more than 40 years of
her life in the late 19th and early 20th centuries:
“Many of the star groups which we call
constellations were divided and named by the
Aborigines thousands of centuries before ancient
Egyptians or early Greek astronomers observed
and named them,” (Bates 1923). Thus, the most
conspicuous and well known constellation in
the southern hemisphere, the Southern Cross,
was known as the “Eagle’s foot” while “the
Pointers of the Cross being the Eagle’s Club and
long before Canopus was named by some early
Egyptian astronomer it was known to the central
Australian Aborigines as joorr-joorr”.
The well known and late Aboriginal poet Kath
Walker (Oodgeroo Noonuccal) expresses the
same sentiment when she talks about the origin
of the Southern Cross. When she was growing
up on Stradbroke Island off the coast of Queensland
she was told stories of how the Southern
Cross came into being.

This is so interesting...love it.

Have a safe, healthy and happy New Years.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1443 on: January 02, 2012, 12:26:38 PM »

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1444 on: January 03, 2012, 03:46:19 AM »

This is so interesting...love it.

Have a safe, healthy and happy New Years.

It is interesting to learn all the different stories and legends handed down through the generations of all the various tribes of our indigenous people.  I think I would prefer this constellation to be known as Mirrabooka rather than the somewhat ordinary Southern Cross.  Many of our landmarks are being renamed back to their original Aboriginal names.  So much more colourful.

Thank you for the good wishes and I hope you have the same good times ahead.  Hope those Donks keep you under control!   

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1445 on: January 03, 2012, 03:51:21 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/funerals-of-mother-and-three-golinski-girls-delayed-until-chef-matt-golinski-recovers-from-burns/story-e6freoof-1226235515404

Funerals of mother and three Golinski girls delayed until chef Matt Golinski recovers from burns

by: Janelle Miles
    January 03, 2012 11:17AM

FUNERALS for the wife and daughters of celebrity chef Matt Golinski will be delayed until he is well enough to attend, his family says.

Mr Golinski remains in the Brisbane and Women's Hospital in a medically induced coma with severe burns to 40 per cent of his body, eight days after a fire at his Tewantin home.

His childhood sweetheart, Rachael, 38, and daughters Starlia, 10, and 12-year-old twins Sage and Willow, died in the Boxing Day fire.

A spokeswoman for the family said the funerals would wait until Mr Golinski recovered enough to attend.

His business partners, Owen Exton and Tannille Maneylaws, have set up a recovery fund for the TV chef to support him financially as he deals with the loss of his wife and three girls.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1446 on: January 03, 2012, 07:32:37 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/funerals-of-mother-and-three-golinski-girls-delayed-until-chef-matt-golinski-recovers-from-burns/story-e6freoof-1226235515404

Funerals of mother and three Golinski girls delayed until chef Matt Golinski recovers from burns

by: Janelle Miles
    January 03, 2012 11:17AM

FUNERALS for the wife and daughters of celebrity chef Matt Golinski will be delayed until he is well enough to attend, his family says.

Mr Golinski remains in the Brisbane and Women's Hospital in a medically induced coma with severe burns to 40 per cent of his body, eight days after a fire at his Tewantin home.

His childhood sweetheart, Rachael, 38, and daughters Starlia, 10, and 12-year-old twins Sage and Willow, died in the Boxing Day fire.

A spokeswoman for the family said the funerals would wait until Mr Golinski recovered enough to attend.

His business partners, Owen Exton and Tannille Maneylaws, have set up a recovery fund for the TV chef to support him financially as he deals with the loss of his wife and three girls.

Have been saying prayers for his physical recovery.  My, what he will be going through in the coming days, weeks, months, and years with his grief.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1447 on: January 03, 2012, 09:29:52 PM »

Have been saying prayers for his physical recovery.  My, what he will be going through in the coming days, weeks, months, and years with his grief.

Thank you Sister.  This man is in all our prayers and I note it says he is still in a medically induced coma which would mean he is still unaware of the tragic events.  Prayers also for those who have to break the sad news when he is well enough to comprehend.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1448 on: January 03, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/judge-orders-release-of-serial-flasher-who-could-not-discern-the-age-of-his-victims/story-e6freoof-1226236385861

Judge orders release of serial flasher who could not discern the age of his victims

by: Mark Oberhardt
    January 04, 2012 11:15AM

AN habitual flasher only exposed himself to underage girls because he couldn't tell the difference between adult females and post-pubescent females who were not yet of age, a court has heard.

In an oral judgment, Supreme Court Justice Ros Atkinson ordered the release of the man, who for legal reasons can't be named, last month on a Dangerous Prisoners (Sexual Offenders) Act 2003 supervision program.

Officials had brought a contravention application against the man who was originally placed on a supervision order last January.

Justice Atkinson's written reasons became available this week in which she noted concerns the man may have had trouble understanding the hearing.

And I have trouble understanding why this judge chose not to distinguish between acceptable and non-acceptable behaviour.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1449 on: January 03, 2012, 09:47:22 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/australia-has-third-wettest-year-on-record-says-the-weather-channel/story-e6freonf-1226236369752

Australia has third wettest year on record, says the Weather Channel

January 04, 2012 10:57AM

FOLLOWING on from our second wettest year in 2010, 2011 proved wet once again with Australia recording its third wettest year on record.

"Mean rainfall across the country was 699mm, 234mm above the long-term average, and our third-wettest year since national records began in 1900," said Tom Saunders, Senior Meteorologist at The Weather Channel.

"Back-to-back La Niña events led to a two year rainfall total of 1402mm, only a few millimeters off the 1973-74 record of 1407mm."

"The national soaking was mainly due to one of the strongest La Niña's on record which dominated weather patterns across the country early in the year. A second La Niña developed in spring and although weaker, this was associated with above average rain across much of the country during the last few months," Saunders continues.

699 mm   =  27.52 inches
234 mm   =   9.21 inches
1402 mm =  55.20 inches
1407 mm =  55.40 inches

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1450 on: January 04, 2012, 08:39:45 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/judge-orders-release-of-serial-flasher-who-could-not-discern-the-age-of-his-victims/story-e6freoof-1226236385861

Judge orders release of serial flasher who could not discern the age of his victims

by: Mark Oberhardt
    January 04, 2012 11:15AM

AN habitual flasher only exposed himself to underage girls because he couldn't tell the difference between adult females and post-pubescent females who were not yet of age, a court has heard.

In an oral judgment, Supreme Court Justice Ros Atkinson ordered the release of the man, who for legal reasons can't be named, last month on a Dangerous Prisoners (Sexual Offenders) Act 2003 supervision program.

Officials had brought a contravention application against the man who was originally placed on a supervision order last January.

Justice Atkinson's written reasons became available this week in which she noted concerns the man may have had trouble understanding the hearing.

And I have trouble understanding why this judge chose not to distinguish between acceptable and non-acceptable behaviour.

I agree with you.  Looks like you will have one of the citizens returning next week -- Adam Baker to be returning to a "normal" life. WTH!

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #1451 on: January 04, 2012, 10:54:38 PM »

Thank you Sister.  This man is in all our prayers and I note it says he is still in a medically induced coma which would mean he is still unaware of the tragic events.  Prayers also for those who have to break the sad news when he is well enough to comprehend.

So sad, I'm praying too.   Crying or Very sad

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1452 on: January 06, 2012, 01:21:17 AM »

Yes Sister but we can hope that something goes right and Adam Baker gets to serve some time or restrictions on his travel plans.  I am hopeful that he will walk into the arms of our Customs and Immigration authorities on his return here.

TexasMom that is a very sad event.  Thank you for caring, and nice to see you in this thread.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1453 on: January 06, 2012, 01:23:50 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/veterans-furious-at-anzac-centenary-pr/story-e6freon6-1226237861564

Furious veterans slam Anzac centenary PR

by: Gemma Jones
    January 06, 2012 12:00AM

PLANS to brand Anzac Day centenary commemorations have come under attack from veterans' associations, with some saying the use of focus groups to choose a motif is a waste of money.

Consultation sessions were held in four states and the Northern Territory late last year, at a cost of $103,275, to discuss "branding concepts" for the anniversary in 2015.

The Department of Veterans Affairs defended the focus groups but one servicemen's association said Diggers who served and died at Gallipoli would be stunned.

Ray Brown from the Injured Service Persons Association said: "I doubt they would have ever thought about it. I wouldn't have expected something like that."

Mr Brown said a focus group was the wrong way to go about the process and terms such as "branding concepts" - which appear on the government's contracts website - were inappropriate.

"The best focus group they could possibly get is veterans and veterans' families, and you wouldn't have to spend that amount of money to do it," he said.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1454 on: January 06, 2012, 01:26:14 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/tv/oprahs-sadness-over-kristian/story-e6freqj6-1226238356256

Oprah expresses sadness over death of Kristian Anderson

by: Confidential reporters and Melissa Matheson
    January 06, 2012 2:37PM

US chat show queen Oprah Winfrey has joined Hugh Jackman in sending condolences to the family of Kristian Anderson after he lost his battle with bowel cancer, aged 36.

Kristian became a hit on YouTube after he posted a heart-breaking video for his wife Rachel's birthday and met Oprah on her trip to Oz.

"Kristian was an inspiration to us all, the way he handled cancer with fierce grace. The light he left on earth will not be dimmed by his passing," Oprah said.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1455 on: January 06, 2012, 01:29:33 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/rapist-paroled-with-no-tracker/story-e6freoof-1226237826732

Serial rapist Lyell Grant Meizer paroled with no tracker

by: Alison Sandy and Rikki-Lee Arnold

ONE of the state's most notorious sex offenders has been released back into the community, but will not be fitted with an electronic bracelet.

The Courier-Mail can reveal serial rapist Lyell Grant Meizer has been granted parole after serving 13 years of a 20-year sentence.

The State Government did not make an application to the courts for permission to track Meizer with GPS technology available under the Dangerous Prisoner (Sex Offender) Act.

Meizer, a former wealthy businessman, was convicted for sexually assaulting prostitutes while pretending to be a policeman and was convicted by a jury on charges - including rape - for the attacks.

Police and Corrective Services Minister Neil Roberts said he was confident the community was not at risk by Meizer's release.

Mr Roberts said he was subject to 21 parole conditions.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1456 on: January 06, 2012, 03:39:41 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/rapist-paroled-with-no-tracker/story-e6freoof-1226237826732

Serial rapist Lyell Grant Meizer paroled with no tracker

by: Alison Sandy and Rikki-Lee Arnold

ONE of the state's most notorious sex offenders has been released back into the community, but will not be fitted with an electronic bracelet.

The Courier-Mail can reveal serial rapist Lyell Grant Meizer has been granted parole after serving 13 years of a 20-year sentence.

The State Government did not make an application to the courts for permission to track Meizer with GPS technology available under the Dangerous Prisoner (Sex Offender) Act.

Meizer, a former wealthy businessman, was convicted for sexually assaulting prostitutes while pretending to be a policeman and was convicted by a jury on charges - including rape - for the attacks.

Police and Corrective Services Minister Neil Roberts said he was confident the community was not at risk by Meizer's release.

Mr Roberts said he was subject to 21 parole conditions.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1457 on: January 06, 2012, 03:41:13 AM »

Yes Sister but we can hope that something goes right and Adam Baker gets to serve some time or restrictions on his travel plans.  I am hopeful that he will walk into the arms of our Customs and Immigration authorities on his return here.

TexasMom that is a very sad event.  Thank you for caring, and nice to see you in this thread.

I love reading your news clippings here Tibro!  Keep up the good work!   

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1458 on: January 06, 2012, 03:01:12 PM »

I love reading your news clippings here Tibro!  Keep up the good work!   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1459 on: January 06, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »

Thank you TexasMom and I appreciate all you do in our Natalee thread.  I read there regularly and I am following the trial now which I hope has the outcome we are all praying for.

::boxingjoran::        ::justice2NJ::

Happy New Year Muffy and thank you for all you do in these threads 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.