March 28, 2024, 12:26:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657578 times)
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1460 on: January 06, 2012, 04:25:42 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/eleven-killed-in-fiery-nz-balloon-crash/story-e6frfku0-1226238714578

Eleven killed in fiery NZ balloon crash

From correspondents in Wellington
    AAP
    January 07, 2012 8:00AM

ELEVEN people have died when a hot air balloon caught fire and crashed in New Zealand.

The balloon came down in flames near the small town of Clareville, north of Wellington on the North Island, about 7.30am local time (5.30am AEDT).

District Health Board spokeswoman Jill Stringer told AAP that 11 people died when the balloon came down.

Ms Stringer said details were sketchy but it appeared the balloon caught fire.

::snipping2::

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/eleven-killed-in-fiery-nz-balloon-crash/story-e6frfku0-1226238714578#ixzz1iiPttxzA

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1461 on: January 06, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/sunshine-coast/recovery-fund-to-help-chef/story-fn8m0yxo-1226237582623

Recovery fund to help chef

by: Isobel Coleman, The Noosa Journal
    January 07, 2012 12:00AM

The Noosa community has launched a recovery fund to help celebrity chef Matt Golinski, who was seriously injured in a tragic Boxing Day fire, which claimed the lives of his wife and three daughters.

Rachael Golinski, 38, twins Sage and Willow, 12, and their sister, Starlia, 10, perished when the family's Tewantin home caught fire in the early hours of December 26.

Matt Golinski, 39, suffered third-degree burns to 40 per cent of his body. The devoted family man and well-known Noosa Heads chef is in an induced coma at the Royal Brisbane Hospital.

``This past week has been extremely difficult for all those who know Matt and his family,'' Ms Maneylaws said.

``Although, thankfully, it now seems that Matt will survive this terrible ordeal, his road to recovery will unfortunately be a very long one.

``At the suggestion of one of our valued clients, a recovery fund has been set up to channel the overwhelming level of support and love that has been directed toward Matt and his family into a practical way of aiding his ongoing physical and emotional recovery.''

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1462 on: January 07, 2012, 12:24:23 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/world/hot-air-balloon-goes-down-in-nz/story-e6freoox-1226238774705

11 dead in hot air balloon tragedy in New Zealand

by: Staff writers and agencies
    January 07, 2012 2:02PM

A PILOT and 10 passengers died when a hot air balloon was engulfed in flames at Clareville, north of Wellington today.

Five couples and the pilot, believed to be the owner of the balloon Lance Hopping, were killed in the crash which occurred about 7:30am local time (5.30am AEDT) in a paddock on Somerset Road, at Carterton, 84km north of Wellington.

The couples were from the Wellington region, Radio New Zealand reported.

Some family members of those onboard watched the tragedy unfold and witnesses saw two people fall from the burning balloon, according to media reports.

The cause of the accident in a popular ballooning area, was still to be confirmed although police said it appeared the craft clipped power lines before bursting into flames. The weather at the time was clear with little wind.

Police say identification of the victims could take some time because many of the bodies were badly burned. They also confirmed two of the victims had either jumped or fell from the basket as it plummetted 150m to the ground.

A nurse who was one of the first on the scene reportedly risked her life trying to save the lives of two people who had tried to jump clear.

Jacqui O'Connor, 38, said the balloon became "like a cartoon character" as it combusted and darted around the sky before crashing.

She dodged live power lines in a bid to help a couple who jumped from the basket before it hit the ground.

Aurea Hickland, who lives next to the farmland where the balloon crashed, saw the two people jump from the basket, telling the New Zealand Herald everyone on board was screaming.

"We saw the two people jump and I said to [my husband] Neil 'They won't survive,' it was just awful."

"Neil ran out and then came back with two of the family members [who were waiting for the balloon to land] and one was saying that they had bought the tickets for their parents for Christmas."

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1463 on: January 09, 2012, 08:38:38 PM »

I saw in my local paper where some Aussies were playing our local college.  Unfortunately, my brain being what it is, I have thrown the paper out and can't remember what sport.   
Anyway, I think we fed them real good!

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1464 on: January 09, 2012, 08:49:08 PM »

Not sure what sport that would be Sister. I will watch our news and post if I find anything.  But I can believe about them being fed well as I know the portions in your restaurants and diners are way larger than we are served here, so I guess that carries over into catering for functions and sports meets.

As a coincidence I was sent a link today by a sweet monkey friend and will post the article next.  Not sure if it should go in this thread or the football thread.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1465 on: January 09, 2012, 08:51:17 PM »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/01/05/lsu-alabama-aussies-rule/index.html

For BCS title game participants LSU and Alabama, two Aussies rule

NEW ORLEANS -- Brad Wing's long journey to the Superdome began before his final year of high school when he was cut from the Sandringham Dragons, his local Australian rules football club team. Two years earlier and 1,700 kilometers north in Brisbane, Jesse Williams began his own trek to the Superdome when the former rugby and basketball player strapped on pads for the first time at the request of some friends who had taken up a strange sport the Aussies call "Gridiron."

"A couple of my friends that played told me to come down and hit a couple of people," Williams said. "I was really good at hitting people, so I just stuck with it.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/01/05/lsu-alabama-aussies-rule/index.html#ixzz1j12MP8qe

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1466 on: January 09, 2012, 09:12:20 PM »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/icebreaker-nears-mawsons-base-on-eve-of-antarctic-journey-centennary/story-e6frf7jx-1226239203639

Icebreaker nears Mawson's base on eve of Antarctic journey centenary

by: By Lloyd Jones
    January 08, 2012 1:21PM

THE icebreaker Aurora Australis is ploughing through the Southern Ocean to land a commemorative party where explorer Douglas Mawson first set up an Antarctic base 100 years ago.

On January 8, 1912, members of Mawson's Australasian Antarctic Expedition (AAE) came ashore from the steam yacht Aurora at Cape Denison in Commonwealth Bay, directly south of Australia.

They were the first to set foot on the 3200km stretch of coast between Cape Adare and Gaussberg, setting the scene for Australia's later territorial claims on the icy continent and its ongoing scientific involvement there.

Just as the Aurora was hampered by ice and blizzards 100 years ago, the modern Aurora Australis will have to work around a giant iceberg off Commonwealth Bay and looks set to have to ice-break its way in on Wednesday or Thursday.

A blizzard is forecast for the bay on Tuesday when the Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) ship is due in the area.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1467 on: January 09, 2012, 09:15:18 PM »

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/special-features/recruiters-hiring-for-the-coolest-job-in-the-world/story-e6frg19l-1226239267999

Recruiters hiring for the coolest job in the world

by: Narelle Towie, Environment Reporter
    January 07, 2012 6:00PM

IT'S the coolest job in the world. There's no peak-hour traffic and no danger of breaking into a sweat - though run-ins with emperor penguins and elephant seals are job hazards.

A century after explorer Douglas Mawson made history in the coldest place on earth - Antarctica - recruiters are looking for Australians to follow suit.

The Australian Antarctic Division is hiring for the 2012-13 summer and 2013 winter seasons and wants everyone from chefs, mechanics and field officers to carpenters, plumbers and scientists for its four stations.

Successful applicants will work five and half days a week in one of the coldest, driest and windiest places on earth.  The pay is on par with Australian wages, while a chef cooks the meals and living quarters are equipped with a spa, sauna and games room.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1468 on: January 12, 2012, 06:52:42 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/mawson-celebrations-at-mercy-of-weather/story-e6freonf-1226243225078

Mawson celebrations at mercy of weather

by: By Lloyd Jones in Antarctica
    January 13, 2012 8:01AM

THE icebreaker Aurora Australis is parked in fast ice off the Antarctic coast waiting for a break in the weather to helicopter a team ashore to commemorate explorer Douglas Mawson's landing there in January 1912.

It's hoped the team can be landed at Cape Denison later on today for a ceremony at the wooden huts built by members of Mawson's Australasian Antarctic Expedition 100 years ago.

But it all depends on the "A-factor" (the Antarctic Factor) - whether the continent's ice and weather conditions will allow a clear-enough window for choppers to fly in.

The Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) icebreaker reached the fast ice yesterday evening and punched into it a short distance to give itself a stable parking place about 12 nautical miles (22km) off the cape.

The giant B9B iceberg has been grounded at the entrance to Commonwealth Bay, preventing the ice from getting out and tourist vessels from getting in so passengers can visit Mawson's huts.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1469 on: January 12, 2012, 06:57:27 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/british-american-tobacco-using-kangaroo-image-to-flog-its-smokes-in-europe/story-e6freooo-1226243254011

British American Tobacco using kangaroo image to flog it's smokes

by: Anna Caldwell
    January 12, 2012 11:00PM

IMAGERY of Australia's iconic kangaroo has been hijacked to sell tobacco to Europe.

As the battle over plain packaging for cigarettes heats up, the Gillard Government has uncovered Winfield cigarettes sold in boxes emblazoned with the kangaroo in Europe, with an Australian map and a slogan that reads: "Winfield: An Australian Favourite."

One anti-smoking advocate dubbed the image the "cancer kangaroo".

The apparent Australian-endorsement was spotted on packets in the European Parliament house in Brussels.

It comes as British American Tobacco prepares to fight the Australian Government in the High Court over a proposal to enforce plain cigarette packaging.

Philip Morris Asia has also launched legal action over the proposed laws with the United Nationals Commission on International Trade Law.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1470 on: January 12, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »

Not sure what sport that would be Sister. I will watch our news and post if I find anything.  But I can believe about them being fed well as I know the portions in your restaurants and diners are way larger than we are served here, so I guess that carries over into catering for functions and sports meets.

As a coincidence I was sent a link today by a sweet monkey friend and will post the article next.  Not sure if it should go in this thread or the football thread.

Tib!  It's  okay to post an article of interest in more than one thread.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1471 on: January 14, 2012, 01:45:07 AM »

Muffy   

Thanks for that Muffy - good to know. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1472 on: January 14, 2012, 06:38:35 PM »

Muffy   

Thanks for that Muffy - good to know. 

You're welcome. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1473 on: January 14, 2012, 08:20:36 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/medical-team-treating-molly-meldrum-request-pictures-to-help-jog-memory/story-e6frfmq9-1226244505162

Medical team treating Molly Meldrum request pictures to help jog memory

By Nui Te Koha
Sunday Herald Sun
January 14, 2012 11:11PM

MEDICAL teams treating Molly Meldrum have called for pictures and messages to jolt him out of post-traumatic amnesia.

His personal assistant Yael Cohn emailed Meldrum's closest friends asking for words and images to spark the music great's memory.

Ms Cohn wrote in her email: "Molly is still in ICU and doctors are pleased with his progress as he is improving daily.

"He is now going through a phase of recovery where the doctors have requested we bring photos of friends to jolt his memory as well as messages that can be read out to him."

She also asked friends to post a photo of themselves and maybe even photos with Meldrum and times they have had together.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/medical-team-treating-molly-meldrum-request-pictures-to-help-jog-memory/story-e6frfmq9-1226244505162#ixzz1jU9HJAGq

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1474 on: January 14, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/business/local-economists-relaxed-despite-european-uncertainty/story-e6frfm1i-1226244511637

Local economists relaxed despite European uncertainty

By John Dagge
Sunday Herald Sun
January 14, 2012 11:27PM

AUSTRALIAN stocks are expected to fall on the back of Europe's credit rating downgrade, but mortgagees are in for further relief with uncertainty about the global economy building the case for a further interest-rate cut.

Economists were generally relaxed about the impact on the Australian economy from the ratings downgrade of nine eurozone countries, pointing out the local sharemarket had been expecting the move since December.

AMP Capital chief economist Shane Oliver said the fallout on local markets would be far less than what followed when the US lost its AAA rating in August.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/local-economists-relaxed-despite-european-uncertainty/story-e6frfm1i-1226244511637#ixzz1jUAAZE46

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1475 on: January 16, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/tv-chef-matt-golinksi-remains-in-coma-after-tragic-house-blaze/story-e6freoof-1226245844755

TV chef Matt Golinksi remains in coma after tragic house blaze

by: Janelle Miles
    January 17, 2012 12:00AM

THREE weeks after losing his family in a house fire, celebrity chef Matt Golinski remains in an induced coma in hospital.

Matt's father, Keith, said that despite their  "unbearable loss'', the family had been touched by the hundreds of get well cards sent to the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital as his son battled severe burns to 40 per cent of his body.

Many of the condolences are from strangers, touched by the popular chef's plight after losing his wife, Rachael, and three daughters, Starlia, 10, and 12-year-old twins, Sage and Willow, in a Boxing Day fire at their Tewantin home.

One card was from Glenna Steele, of Kentucky, in the US, who had never met the family but was aware of the work Matt and his wife had done for families of children with the rare metabolic disorder, Glut-1 deficiency syndrome.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1476 on: January 16, 2012, 09:04:26 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/geoff-huegill-involved-in-scuba-diver-rescue-effort/story-e6freoof-1226246235013

Geoff Huegill involved in scuba diver rescue effort

by: By Laura Tomlinson and Phil Hickey
    January 16, 2012 10:30AM

OLYMPIAN Geoff Huegill was one of the first at the scene of yesterday's tragic Rottnest diving death, guiding rescuers to the stricken man's vessel.

The 55-year-old scuba diver died after suffering an apparent heart attack while diving with family.

As revealed first on PerthNow's iPad app, a witness told PerthNow that Huegill was on a rigid inflatable boat with two other men when they were flagged down by the vessel carrying the diver.

"They called for help and the rangers came but couldn't find the boat in question," she said.

"So Geoff's boat then came into Parker Point and directed them to the correct boat needing assistance as they were a fair bit away from the rest of us, near the reef."

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1477 on: January 16, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/ipswich/dangerous-snake-rears-at-children-as-red-cattle-dog-river-jumps-in-to-save-day-says-ipswich-naturopath-catherine-lynch/story-fn8m0yo2-1226245409995

Dangerous snake rears at children as red cattle dog River jumps in to save day, says Ipswich naturopath Catherine Lynch

by: Brian Semmens, Ipswich News
    January 16, 2012 12:31PM

THE bravery of a red cattle dog has been credited with saving the lives of two Ipswich children from the bite of a highly venomous eastern brown snake.

River, an 18-month-old bitch, jumped between the rearing snake and the children as they ran towards a swing set in the front yard of their Coalfalls home on Saturday morning.

Owner Catherine Lynch said River, who killed the snake, has undergone more than $2000 worth of anti-venom treatment at a vets at Booval after being bitten on a back leg.

Ms Lynch said her children - Kaylee, 2, and Michelle, 7 - had been traumatised by the incident.

She said it was a timely reminder for parents to check their yards for snakes before allowing children out to play.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1478 on: January 16, 2012, 09:09:58 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/mullaley-couple-shawn-whiting-and-bronte-fordham-die-in-car-crash/story-e6freooo-1226244928612

Young couple Shawn Whiting and Bronte Fordham die in Oxley Highway accident, 30 minutes apart

by: Clementine Cuneo
    January 16, 2012 12:00AM

IN life they were inseparable, best friends who became lovers. Tragically, when death came yesterday it claimed them together, too.

Shawn Whiting, 20, and Bronte Fordham, 19, had spent the evening with friends at the Mullaley Hotel, near Gunnedah in NSW's north, but left in separate cars.

On the way home Ms Fordham lost control of her Mazda sedan and slammed into a power pole on the Oxley Highway.

Mr Whiting, who left the pub about 30 minutes later, came across the accident.

As he ran from his car to see if he could help her, he stepped on a fallen power line brought down in the crash and was electrocuted.

A passing motorist made the horrific discovery about 1km from Mullaley, the town where the couple lived, when he saw a Toyota LandCruiser parked on the side of the road with the motor running and headlights on about 4.30am.

How incredibly sad.  Truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1479 on: January 18, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/mullaley-couple-shawn-whiting-and-bronte-fordham-die-in-car-crash/story-e6freooo-1226244928612

Young couple Shawn Whiting and Bronte Fordham die in Oxley Highway accident, 30 minutes apart

by: Clementine Cuneo
    January 16, 2012 12:00AM

IN life they were inseparable, best friends who became lovers. Tragically, when death came yesterday it claimed them together, too.

Shawn Whiting, 20, and Bronte Fordham, 19, had spent the evening with friends at the Mullaley Hotel, near Gunnedah in NSW's north, but left in separate cars.

On the way home Ms Fordham lost control of her Mazda sedan and slammed into a power pole on the Oxley Highway.

Mr Whiting, who left the pub about 30 minutes later, came across the accident.

As he ran from his car to see if he could help her, he stepped on a fallen power line brought down in the crash and was electrocuted.

A passing motorist made the horrific discovery about 1km from Mullaley, the town where the couple lived, when he saw a Toyota LandCruiser parked on the side of the road with the motor running and headlights on about 4.30am.

How incredibly sad.  Truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

Yes, incredibly sad -- prayers for their families and friends.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.