March 28, 2024, 10:29:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657543 times)
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1480 on: January 18, 2012, 06:34:51 PM »

http://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2012/01/past-lives-rise-from-rubble-in-tasmania.html

Past lives rise from rubble in Tasmania

Parry Kostoglou is the man digging up Hobart's past. His company ArcTas has carried out archaeological work across Tasmania for the past 18 years.

The focus now is on Hobart CBD excavations. The historic artefacts found in Hobart are building a clearer picture of the city's past.

"The nature of the business has changed a lot. Originally 90 per cent of the work we did was in forestry, mining and agri-business," Mr Kostoglou said. "Recently that's changed and there's a city-based focus with the construction boom."

He said developers were legally required to provide archaeological reports on their excavation sites. "We've been working non-stop on those types of jobs for the past five years," he said.

Mr Kostoglou said because Hobart did not have a lot of high-rise buildings, the archaeology of most areas was still intact underground.

"They basically just knocked down the buildings and built up. The ground now is two to three metres higher than it used to be in most places," he said.

Because of this, the living spaces of people in the 1800s were often traceable under the concrete slabs of modern buildings. "They're very well preserved most of the time," Mr Kostoglou said.

::snipping2::

Hat tip to a dear monkey friend for this link.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1481 on: January 18, 2012, 08:49:37 PM »

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Entertainment/2012/01/19/Greg_Page_wiggling_like_old_times_708937.html

Greg Page wiggling like old times

Thursday, January 19, 2012 » 09:06am

Returning Wiggle Greg Page has lined up with his former team, pulling on his yellow jersey for the first time in five years.

Page completed a sensational return to The Wiggles when he lined up with founding members Anthony Field, Murray Cook and Jeff Fatt.

'It feels as if I never left,' Page said.

'It's like I walked out the door yesterday and I've come back.

'It's been a surreal day but it's good to be back in yellow.'

Page left the children's super group in 2006 with a mystery illness that was later diagnosed as the debilitating disease dysautonomia.

Accepting his days as a performer were over, he watched as his replacement Sam Moran won the hearts of children around the world.

But after learning to manage his condition, Page rejoined The Wiggles for their induction into the ARIA Hall Of Fame at the end of last year.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1482 on: January 19, 2012, 11:21:35 PM »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/molly-meldrum-released-from-hospital-into-rehabilition/story-e6frf7jo-1226248640107

Molly Meldrum released from hospital, into rehabilition

by: Aleks Devic
    January 20, 2012 12:00AM

UPDATE 8.57am: MOLLY Meldrum may suffer some ongoing effects from a fall that nearly claimed his life shortly before Christmas, his brother says.

An ambulance yesterday took the music guru from the Alfred hospital to the Epworth Rehabilitation, not far from his Richmond home where he suffered serious head injuries when he fell from a ladder last month.

Speaking candidly about his brother's condition, Brian Meldrum said Molly was suffering memory loss and it was impossible to know what exactly his future holds.

"It's a fluctuating thing, his spirits can be high at one stage but he doesn't necessarily know where he is because of the short-term memory (loss)," he told Sunrise this morning.

"You tell him he's in hospital one day... and the next day he wouldn't have a clue as to where he is.

"But that's post traumatic amnesia. That's the thing we're dealing with and it's a process we've got to go through."

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1483 on: January 19, 2012, 11:23:57 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/candles-tree-lights-focus-of-probe-into-blaze-that-killed-wife-and-three-daughters-of-tv-chef-matt-golinksi/story-e6freoof-1226248827911

Candles, tree lights focus of probe into blaze that killed wife and three daughters of TV chef Matt Golinski

by: Peter Hall and Rikki-Lee Arnold

FAMILY happy snaps have helped narrow the likely cause of a fatal Sunshine Coast house fire to candles inside paper lanterns or a pine Christmas tree covered in lights.

The fire that broke out in the early hours of Boxing Day claimed the lives of Rachael Golinski and daughters Starlia, 10, and 12-year-old twins Sage and Willow.

While investigators wait for the only survivor of the Tewantin tragedy  celebrity chef Matt Golinksi  to be well enough to interview, they have made progress in their search for clues.

Sunshine Coast Detective Senior Sergeant Daren Edwards said evidence pointed to the fire having started in the small, open-plan dining and lounge room, where the most damage was found.

Photographs and details provided by relatives who had visited for a Christmas party revealed that several candles encased in paper had been positioned on the dining room table.

A pine Christmas tree wrapped in lights was nearby in the lounge room.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1484 on: January 19, 2012, 11:25:50 PM »

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-nsw/slim-dustys-home-called-homewood-at-nulla-nulla-creek-to-be-listed-and-protected-on-the-state-heritage-register/story-e6freuzi-1226248720133

Slim Dusty's home called Homewood, at Nulla Nulla Creek to be listed and protected on the State Heritage Register

Malcolm Holland
    The Daily Telegraph

IT is the modest tin and wood house where country music legend Slim Dusty grew up and the place he wrote the first of his acclaimed odes to life in the bush.

The state government will today announce Homewood, at Nulla Nulla Creek in the lush Macleay Valley near Kempsey, will be listed and protected on the State Heritage Register.

Local historian Noeline Kyle nominated the house for the register, with the support of Slim's widow Joy McKean.

The house was built in 1915 by Slim's father David Kirkpatrick, with the help of a neighbour, and Slim lived there from 1927 until the early 1950s.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1485 on: January 20, 2012, 02:10:13 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/missing-ship-remains-found-off-east-coast/story-e6freonf-1226249628630

Missing ship remains found off east coast

January 20, 2012 3:56PM

SCIENTISTS have uncovered the remnants of the Royal Charlotte, a troop ship buried at the bottom of a reef for more than 180 years.

The Australian Maritime Museum team this week found remains from the Indian-built ship, which ran aground and sank near Frederick Reef, off the Queensland coast, on June 11, 1825.

Using magnetic metal detectors, the expedition uncovered rudder fittings, and later copper fastenings, an anchor chain, anchor and cannon, which was confirmed to have come from the Royal Charlotte.

Expedition leader Kieran Hosty said the crew was elated to make the discovery.

"Very few Indian-built ships have been identified and surveyed and there has been much excitement in the expedition team," he said today.

"Locating the remains of the Royal Charlotte provides us with interesting historical detail and information on convict and troop transportation in the 19th century."

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1486 on: January 20, 2012, 02:12:30 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/children-of-the-flood-tell-tales-of-terror-and-survival/story-e6freoof-1226249176093

Children of the flood tell tales of terror and survival

by: Frances Whiting
    January 20, 2012 9:59AM

"ONCE upon a time," six-year-old Liam Foyle - spiky hair, aeroplane T-shirt, camouflage cargos, finger in ear - says, "there was a flood right here in Poppy's house, and me and Mum and Auntie Jess, and my little brother Lachlan, he's four, we were visiting from Toowoomba and we had to get onto the table, and they floated us up in our boat from out of the pool to the roof and I was crying until we played 'I Spy' and I saw a cow floating by.

"Then a big helicopter came, but it was Channel Nine and they couldn’t save us, they just took our photo but then the rescue one came.

“There was lots of scary stuff in that flood and I was worried about Pop, because when he came in he had a black snake tangled around his leg, and then I saw Mama’s car smash into the caravan and the water was noisy and I had to cover my ears.

"Then the man came with a special winch, which is a kind of rope, and he pulled me up and into the helicopter, they dragged me in by the waist, like they were going to stab me or something, but they didn’t, so that was good.

“Then I had to sit in the helicopter, and it was noisy and scary and good, but I was very brave because I could see lots of king browns – seven, I think, with lots of venom.”

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1487 on: January 20, 2012, 02:17:16 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/sharks-stalking-beaches-in-mind-blowing-numbers/story-e6freooo-1226249225858

Sharks stalking beaches in 'mind-blowing' numbers

January 20, 2012 10:38AM

A RESCUE helicopter crewman has revealed the terrifying moment he saw a large shark stalking a surfer, just hours after Glen Folkard was attacked on a NSW beach.

Hunter Westpac rescue helicopter crewman, Graham Nickisson, was part of a team patrolling a stretch of coastline off the NSW city of Newcastle on Wednesday when they spotted the predator, possibly a great white, heading straight for a surfer at Redhead Beach, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.

"We really feared for this bloke's safety - it was dire," he said.

"My heart sank. We thought we were going to witness something really bad.

But in a lucky escape, the surfer came to no harm after the helicopter was able to hover close enough to warn him.

"This bloke will know who he is but until he reads the paper he won't know how close he was to being in a lot of trouble."

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1488 on: January 20, 2012, 02:32:14 AM »

Tibro

Thank you for sharing the articles with us.     Australia has such an interesting history, culture, people, and stories!
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1489 on: January 20, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/candles-tree-lights-focus-of-probe-into-blaze-that-killed-wife-and-three-daughters-of-tv-chef-matt-golinksi/story-e6freoof-1226248827911

Candles, tree lights focus of probe into blaze that killed wife and three daughters of TV chef Matt Golinski

FAMILY happy snaps have helped narrow the likely cause of a fatal Sunshine Coast house fire to candles inside paper lanterns or a pine Christmas tree covered in lights.

The fire that broke out in the early hours of Boxing Day claimed the lives of Rachael Golinski and daughters Starlia, 10, and 12-year-old twins Sage and Willow.

While investigators wait for the only survivor of the Tewantin tragedy  celebrity chef Matt Golinksi  to be well enough to interview, they have made progress in their search for clues.

Sunshine Coast Detective Senior Sergeant Daren Edwards said evidence pointed to the fire having started in the small, open-plan dining and lounge room, where the most damage was found.

Photographs and details provided by relatives who had visited for a Christmas party revealed that several candles encased in paper had been positioned on the dining room table.

prayers continue for his recovery . . . oh, the horror of when he wakes up!

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1490 on: January 25, 2012, 07:51:14 PM »

Tibro

Thank you for sharing the articles with us.     Australia has such an interesting history, culture, people, and stories!

Thank you grace-land.
It is my pleasure to share with all the monkeys relevant news and stories about our wonderful country.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1491 on: January 25, 2012, 07:54:58 PM »

prayers continue for his recovery . . . oh, the horror of when he wakes up!

I cannot imagine what it would be like to awake to such tragic news.
The evidence that the fire is most likely caused by Christmas decorations or candles is a very strong lesson for all of us.

I just want to say that I have been adding my prayers for your surgery and I am sending positive thoughts that the outcome is as you are expecting.  God Bless.

an angelic monkey

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1492 on: January 25, 2012, 08:00:05 PM »

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/us-man-david-estes-claims-doe-network-show-he-is-identical-match-for-grant-beaumont/story-e6frea83-1226253367063

US man David Estes claims DOE Network shows he is 'identical match' for Grant Beaumont

by: Penelope Debelle
    January 26, 2012 12:00AM

THE saga of the missing Beaumont children has yet another bizarre chapter - 46 years after they became victims of the most infamous unsolved crime in Australian history.

An American man, David Estes, is claiming that he is Grant Beaumont, the youngest of the three children snatched from the Glenelg foreshore on Australia Day, 1966.

Mr Estes, who lives in Kentucky, has claimed that he was kidnapped from hospital when he was four.

He said he remembered waking up in hospital in 1966 with a fractured back and a broken hip.

Curious about his beginning, Mr Estes said he entered his birth date in a global database for missing people last year - and found Grant Beaumont staring back at him.

"I was more or less in tears," Mr Estes said from the US.

"When you see your own face, it hits you like a sledgehammer."

They walk among us .....    Monkey Devil!

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1493 on: January 25, 2012, 08:04:28 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/geoffrey-rush-is-australian-of-the-year/story-e6freoof-1226253748940

Geoffrey Rush is Australian of the Year

by: Anna Caldwell
    January 26, 2012 5:43AM

NEW Australian of the Year Geoffrey Rush has called on artists to tell the stories of the nation's great social debates about climate change, gay marriage and asylum-seeker policy.

Mr Rush, 60, beat Queensland favourites Bruce and Denise Morcombe for the honour, announced at Parliament House in Canberra last night.

The multi-award-winning actor was honoured for his 40-year career and for his commitment to Australia's arts industry.

He said he saw a "greater role for the arts in public life".

Mr Rush called on writers to tell the stories of asylum-seekers desperate for a better life in Australia in the form of a miniseries.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1494 on: January 25, 2012, 08:12:25 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/aussies-love-one-thing-more-than-beer-freedom/story-e6frfkvr-1226253553965

Aussies love one thing more than beer - freedom

News Limited newspapers
January 26, 2012 12:00AM

WE love our beer, we love our beaches and we love our barbecues.

But, like the swaggie who sprang into the billabong back in 1895, we love our freedom most of all.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/aussies-love-one-thing-more-than-beer-freedom/story-e6frfkvr-1226253553965#ixzz1kWQqu7uq

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1495 on: January 25, 2012, 08:34:11 PM »

AUSTRALIA DAY      26 JANUARY

About Australia

Australia is a natural wonderland of beautiful beaches, crystal blue waters, amazing ancient rock formations and pristine rainforests. Occupying an entire continent of some 7.6 million square kilometres, Australia is the sixth largest country in the world.

Our ocean territory is the world’s third largest, spanning three oceans and covering around 12 million square kilometres.

Australia Day History

The quest for the celebration of a united Australian Day and the parallel search for an 'Australian identity' and sense of spirit commenced within a few short years of the First Fleet landing of 1788 and subsequent white settlement on this island continent.

Indigenous Australians

Is it Survival Day or Australia Day?
Is it a commemoration or celebration?
Was it Settlement or Invasion?

But for Australia Day to have relevance to both points of view, it must be all embracing.

The following information provides historical and contemporary thought on these questions:

Australian Currency

Australia was the first country in the world to have a complete system of bank notes based on plastic (polymer). These notes provide much greater security against counterfeiting. They also last four times as long as conventional paper (fibrous) notes.

The innovative technology by which the notes are produced, developed entirely in Australia, offers artists brilliant scope for the creation of images that reflect the histories and natural environments of their countries. At the same time the polymer notes are cleaner than paper notes and easily recyclable. Australia’s currency consists of coins of five, 10, 20 and 50 cent and one and two dollar denomination; and notes of five, 10, 20, 50 and 100 dollar denomination.

National Anthem

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free,
We've golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare,
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

Flying & Use of the Flag

The Australian national flag may be flown on every day of the year. The following guidelines apply to the Australian national flags and flags generally.

Dignity of the Flag
The flag should be treated with the respect and dignity it deserves as the nation’s foremost national symbol.

All the above taken from this website under their heading Student Resources :

http://www.australiaday.com.au/

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1496 on: January 26, 2012, 03:16:57 AM »

Happy Australia Day 

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #1497 on: January 26, 2012, 04:32:02 PM »

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!!!!!!!!!

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1498 on: January 27, 2012, 03:54:17 AM »

Happy Australia Day 

Thank you 4 Donks.  Storms and floods (again) in our northern states spoiled some of the planned celebrations, but the rest of our country had warm and clear weather - just right for beach parties and back yard BBQs.

Also I was happy to read that your results came back negative.  Love reading about your adventures on the farm.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1499 on: January 27, 2012, 03:58:00 AM »

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!!!!!!!!!

Thank you JSM.  Welcome to posting in this thread and I hope you will continue to do so.  Good to know you have your DH with you and under control, and that Patton and Ruby are such good friends.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.