March 28, 2024, 06:42:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657652 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1600 on: April 13, 2012, 09:15:24 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/koalas-facing-extinction-in-50-years/story-e6freoof-1226326203339

Koalas facing extinction in 50 years

by: Matthew Fynes-Clinton
    April 14, 2012 12:00AM

KOALA populations have crashed to the extent that many experts believe the iconic creatures will have all but vanished within 50 years.

"There'll be small remnants hanging on," says Clive McAlpine, a leading landscape ecologist from the University of Queensland and spokesman for the pre-eminent Koala Research Network.

"But I think they'll be sort of functionally extinct."

::snipping2::

That's really sad news.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1601 on: April 14, 2012, 08:54:53 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/koalas-facing-extinction-in-50-years/story-e6freoof-1226326203339

Koalas facing extinction in 50 years

by: Matthew Fynes-Clinton
    April 14, 2012 12:00AM

KOALA populations have crashed to the extent that many experts believe the iconic creatures will have all but vanished within 50 years.

"There'll be small remnants hanging on," says Clive McAlpine, a leading landscape ecologist from the University of Queensland and spokesman for the pre-eminent Koala Research Network.

"But I think they'll be sort of functionally extinct."

This is truly a sad thing . . . like so many animals around the world.  I know it is impossible to give back the habitat taken, but hopefully they can be saved without making them "zoo" animals only.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1602 on: April 19, 2012, 03:36:40 AM »

Thank you for your interest Muffy and Sister.  I hope this report is showing the extreme down side of Koala's survival in our wild.  Loss of habitat and disease has reduced their numbers alarmingly but maybe such comments can help people wake up to what they could be missing in a few years time.  There are several foundations working towards the Koala's survival in the wild.  I cannot imagine our country without these dear little marsupials.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1603 on: April 19, 2012, 03:40:43 AM »

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2012/04/19/Williams_family_to_sue_prison_system_740978.html

Williams family to sue prison system
Thursday, April 19, 2012 » 05:37am

The family of murdered gangster Carl Williams wants $1 million from the Victorian prison system for pain and suffering caused by his brutal jail death.

The Herald Sun says a writ could be served as early as Thursday - the anniversary of Williams' murder at Barwon Prison.

It said the writ is expected to include a claim for benefits negotiated by the Williams in return for co-operating in a major criminal investigation.

It follows Wednesday's scathing Ombudsman's report which said prison authorities knew there was a risk Williams could be murdered in jail but failed in its statutory duty to protect him.

The writ will be issued in the names of Williams father, George, his ex-wife Roberta, daughter Dhakota and stepdaughter, Breanane.

Australians are now asking what about compensation for all this gangster's victims.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1604 on: April 19, 2012, 03:43:16 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/military-burial-for-aussie-spitfire-pilot/story-e6freonf-1226332869436

Military burial for Aussie Spitfire pilot Sergeant William Smith

by: From correspondents in London
    April 19, 2012 9:17AM

THE family of Australian Spitfire pilot RAAF Sergeant William Smith will gather in France for a final farewell almost 70 years after he went missing over the English Channel.

Last seen engaged in a desperate dogfight with a large group of German fighters on May 9, 1942, 24-year-old Sgt Smith was listed as missing in action until October 2011.

Excavating what they believed was the wreckage of a downed Czech aircraft in Hardifort, northern France, a documentary film crew found the remains of Sgt Smith and his Spitfire.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1605 on: April 19, 2012, 03:45:19 AM »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tributes-flow-aussie-swim-great-murray-rose-060714993--spt.html

Tributes flow for Aussie swim great Murray Rose

AFP – Mon, Apr 16, 2012 2:07 AM EDT

Australian four-time Olympic gold medallist Murray Rose was hailed Monday as one of the greatest swimmers of all-time following his death from leukaemia.

British-born Rose, who moved to Australia as an infant, died in Sydney on Sunday aged 73 and tributes poured in on Monday.

Kieren Perkins, a two-time Olympic 1500m gold medallist, described Rose's passing as "absolutely devastating".

"Murray was one of those statesmen of Australian sport and it's almost beyond describing the impact that he had not only on swimming but Australian sport in general," Perkins said.

"I think for anybody that's been involved in distance swimming, the legend and the tradition that Murray Rose created I think really set the scene for decades."

Rose became an Olympic champion in 1956 as a 17-year-old, winning the first of his three golds at the Melbourne Games in the 4 x 200m freestyle relay.

He followed that with victories in the 400m and 1500m freestyle, becoming the first swimmer in 36 years to win both individual events.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1606 on: April 19, 2012, 03:47:39 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/my-life-has-changed-forever-molly-meldrum-after-serious-fall/story-e6frfmqi-1226330883413

My life has changed forever: Molly Meldrum after fall

AAP
April 18, 2012 12:00AM

MOLLY Meldrum has opened up about how his life has changed forever following the devastating fall at his Melbourne home in December.

In a personal letter published in the Herald Sun, Meldrum has spoken about his recovery from the life-threatening accident and of his gratitude for all the support he's received from friends and members of the public.

"As you know, I've been out on the tiles a number of times. But never like this. My life changed forever when I fell off the roof on December 15 last year.

"I can't say my life flashed before my eyes, but I have had plenty of time to reflect in the past few weeks, and I realise just how lucky I am," he wrote in the letter.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/my-life-has-changed-forever-molly-meldrum-after-serious-fall/story-e6frfmqi-1226330883413#ixzz1sTCPoEcB

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1607 on: April 19, 2012, 03:50:00 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/sex-fiend-daniel-philip-sybenga-to-live-with-parents/story-e6freoof-1226333025643

Sex fiend Daniel Philip Sybenga to live with parents

by: Tony Keim
    April 19, 2012 10:51AM

A NOTORIOUSLY dangerous pedophile with a history of preying on toddlers because they were too young to identify him will today be freed from jail to live with his parents.

However, a judge this morning made the order to release the pedophile, but did not reveal the location of his parents' home, which is reportedly on Brisbane's northside.

Brisbane Supreme Court judge Peter Lyons today ordered Daniel Philip Sybenga, 28, be released immediately on a supervised order and allowed to live with his middle-aged mother and father.

Sybenga, who has served more than three-and-a-half years longer than his full jail term for sexually molesting numerous young girls, will have to comply with 38 strict conditions, including wearing an electronic monitoring device or obey a curfew and stay away from shopping centres.

Justice Lyons, who approved Sybenga's release on Monday, adjourned the hearing until this morning so the Queensland Department of Corrections could assess the suitability of Sybenga living with his parents upon release from jail.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1608 on: April 19, 2012, 03:55:45 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/heat-pump-warning-after-nz-baby-deaths/story-e6freonf-1226332843207

Heat pump warning after NZ baby deaths

by: From correspondents in Auckland
    April 19, 2012 8:58AM

NEW Zealand parents are being warned about the risk of overheating their homes after the death of two infants within a week of each other.

Inquests into the September 2010 deaths of 18-month-old Chesara Anna-Rose McMurdo and nine-month-old Joseph James Batchelor-Smith were held in Invercargill yesterday.

Coroner David Crerar says the deaths highlight issues associated with overheating, especially when heat pumps are being used in the home, the Otago Daily Times reports.

25 degrees Celsius is 77 degrees Farenheit

28 degrees Celsius in 82.4 degrees Farenheit

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1609 on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:44 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/military-burial-for-aussie-spitfire-pilot/story-e6freonf-1226332869436

Military burial for Aussie Spitfire pilot Sergeant William Smith

by: From correspondents in London
    April 19, 2012 9:17AM

THE family of Australian Spitfire pilot RAAF Sergeant William Smith will gather in France for a final farewell almost 70 years after he went missing over the English Channel.

Last seen engaged in a desperate dogfight with a large group of German fighters on May 9, 1942, 24-year-old Sgt Smith was listed as missing in action until October 2011.

Excavating what they believed was the wreckage of a downed Czech aircraft in Hardifort, northern France, a documentary film crew found the remains of Sgt Smith and his Spitfire.

Rest in Peace Sergeant William Smith

an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1610 on: April 20, 2012, 02:50:19 AM »

Muffy I saw a short segment on TV of the military burial service in France for Sgt Smith and it was very touching to see his younger brother in attendance.  His little brother was 14 when Sgt Smith was reported missing and referred to him as "his hero".  So good to see one  more family gain closure after 70 years.

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2012/04/20/RAAF_Spitfire_pilot_buried_in_France_741413.html

RAAF Spitfire pilot buried in France
Friday, April 20, 2012 » 06:56am

A tearful farewell, decades overdue, has been given to Australian Spitfire pilot and childhood hero, Sergeant William 'Bill' James Smith in France.

Almost 70 years after the 24-year-old RAAF airman was listed missing in action, his remains have been buried during a moving service with full military honours.

Sergeant Smith's brother Bert, younger by 10 years, and the last surviving member of the pilot's immediate family, travelled from Victoria for Thursday's service in the township of Cassel in northern France.

Delivering an emotional eulogy, Mr Smith recalled hearing the devastating news of his sibling's disappearance.

'I fully remember as a young man ... when my mother received those two fateful letters,' Mr Smith told a large crowd who braved rain at the small war graves cemetery on Thursday.

'The first one which said 'your son is missing in action' and the second which said 'missing in action, believed killed'.

'My mother ... refused to believe that her beloved son was dead (and that) Bill would turn up somehow.'

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1611 on: April 20, 2012, 02:54:47 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/wa-pedophile-slapped-with-extra-charges/story-e6freonf-1226334601438

WA pedophile slapped with extra charges

April 20, 2012 4:41PM

JAILED pedophile Dennis McKenna has been charged with a further 66 child sex offences dating back to when he was a warden at a school hostel in Western Australia's south.

Child Abuse Squad detectives today laid the extra charges against the 67-year-old after an extensive investigation, police said.

McKenna was jailed in October for six years after pleading guilty to sexually abusing six boys, aged 13 to 15, in his care at St Andrews hostel in Katanning.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1612 on: April 20, 2012, 04:13:13 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/ipswich/victoria-cross-hero-corporal-benjamin-roberts-smith-tells-ipswich-girls-grammar-school-students-meaning-of-anzac-day/story-fn8m0yo2-1226334382481

Victoria Cross hero Corporal Benjamin Roberts-Smith tells Ipswich Girls' Grammar School students meaning of Anzac Day

by: Douglas Estwick, Ipswich News
    April 20, 2012 1:31PM

Facing redeployment to Afghanistan, the soil on which he earned the Victoria Cross for gallantry, Corporal Benjamin Roberts-Smith told Ipswich Girls' Grammar School students that the Anzac spirit belongs in the community and not just the battlefield.

Cpl Roberts-Smith's wife, Emma, was a student at IGGS from 1988 - 92 and he said it was a privilege to attend the school's Anzacs day commemoration.

He spoke of the role of women in the defence force, the Anzacs spirit and of sacrifice for the community.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1613 on: April 20, 2012, 09:28:41 AM »

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2012/04/19/Williams_family_to_sue_prison_system_740978.html

Williams family to sue prison system
Thursday, April 19, 2012 » 05:37am

The family of murdered gangster Carl Williams wants $1 million from the Victorian prison system for pain and suffering caused by his brutal jail death.

The Herald Sun says a writ could be served as early as Thursday - the anniversary of Williams' murder at Barwon Prison.

It said the writ is expected to include a claim for benefits negotiated by the Williams in return for co-operating in a major criminal investigation.

It follows Wednesday's scathing Ombudsman's report which said prison authorities knew there was a risk Williams could be murdered in jail but failed in its statutory duty to protect him.

The writ will be issued in the names of Williams father, George, his ex-wife Roberta, daughter Dhakota and stepdaughter, Breanane.

Australians are now asking what about compensation for all this gangster's victims.

If this family wins this suit, I hope the families of his victims sue them for 2 million dollars.
 ::justice2NJ::

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1614 on: April 20, 2012, 09:31:03 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/wa-pedophile-slapped-with-extra-charges/story-e6freonf-1226334601438

WA pedophile slapped with extra charges

April 20, 2012 4:41PM

JAILED pedophile Dennis McKenna has been charged with a further 66 child sex offences dating back to when he was a warden at a school hostel in Western Australia's south.

Child Abuse Squad detectives today laid the extra charges against the 67-year-old after an extensive investigation, police said.

McKenna was jailed in October for six years after pleading guilty to sexually abusing six boys, aged 13 to 15, in his care at St Andrews hostel in Katanning.

It is hard to believe he only got 6 years to begin with . . . what was that . . . a year for each child?  If  that is the formula, maybe he will get 66 years for the children now.

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1615 on: April 20, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »

Tibro....I have an Australian map which indicates Anzac Day on April 25th.
I googled the name and found a great deal of information.....I chose this
link to share.  Thank you for expanding our view of the world.

http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac/anzac_tradition.asp

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1616 on: April 20, 2012, 02:44:52 PM »

Wish I could correct my post....but I have an Australian calendar, and it shows Anzac Day on April 25th.

I went from one thing to another and ended up on You Tube where I spent about 30 minutes listening to music.....love You Tube.

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1617 on: April 21, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »

Sister I doubt the victim's families can sue the criminal after he had been found guilty and sentenced.  There is something wrong with this system for sure.

And I get so angry when I read about the lenient sentences given to child abusers and pedophiles.  I have not yet read of any case where an offender was successfully rehabilitated so the harshest sentences have to become the normal judgement.  Stop pussyfooting about and throw the book at them.

I would put these to good use :    ::snipping2::

::justice2NJ::

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1618 on: April 21, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »

You are ahead of me Mere.      

Anzac Day is on Wednesday 25th and all the usual preparations are in full swing.  There will be dawn services at local cenotaphs then a march of returned service men and women and current military units through city and town streets followed by public commemorative services then a reunion at their local Returned Services Clubs to share memories and experiences.

We are all so proud of those who gave their lives in all major conflicts throughout the world, as well as those who returned, and just as importantly the ones who are serving now in war zones and peace keeping forces.

Good bless our brave men and women who do their part to keep our wonderful country free.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1619 on: April 21, 2012, 11:52:32 PM »

http://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/fragments-of-book-of-dead-found.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheArchaeologyNewsNetwork+%28The+Archaeology+News+Network%29

Fragments of Book of the Dead found

Posted by TANN Ancient, ArchaeoHeritage, Archaeology, Australia, Breakingnews, Egypt, Greater Middle East, Near East 11:30 AM

Missing fragments from the ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead have been uncovered deep in the stores of the Queensland Museum.

The manuscript belonged to a high-ranking Egyptian official who lived in 1420 BC. It was believed to contain magical spells to guide the dead to the afterlife.

Parts of the manuscript were discovered in the late 19th Century, but archaeologists have never found it all.

World-renowned Egyptologist Dr John Taylor was viewing the museum's Egyptian collection when a name on a papyrus fragment caught his eye.

Dr Taylor is the curator of the British Museum's mummy collection. The British Museum currently has a mummy exhibition on display at the Queensland Museum.

He was taken to the museum's storeroom to see more and says what came next is a once-in-a-lifetime discovery.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.