March 28, 2024, 10:30:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657544 times)
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1760 on: August 18, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/empty-bed-empty-hearts/story-fn6bn88w-1226211656487

Empty bed, empty hearts

Andrew Rule
    December 02, 2011 12:00AM

THERE is no grief greater than that of parents who have no body to bury. That pain haunts Bung Siriboon's family.
Herald Sun Digital Pass

Every day is hell for the broken-hearted but anniversaries mean extra torment for the families of the missing.

Six months after Bung Siriboon vanished on her way to school in Boronia, her mother Vanidda, sister Pang and stepfather Fred Pattison face her 14th birthday without her, later this month.

They tell themselves she is alive and will return some day, but investigators have no good news to bring them. Bung's name has joined a list of disappearances as mysterious as Picnic At Hanging Rock, as sinister as In Cold Blood.

When Bung disappeared on June 2 - as outlined in these pages yesterday - she became one of 35,000 Australians who go missing every year. That's one every 15 minutes. More than half are under 18 years old.

::snipping2::

Interesting observations on some of our more famous missing persons cases and also the changes to Australian society over the past few decades.

No place is immune from empty beds or empty hearts.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1761 on: August 24, 2012, 02:18:36 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/ipswich/quick-sand-drama-for-walloon-horseman-and-riverlink-security-guard-nic-martoo-as-he-says-he-was-going-down-with-horse/story-fn8m0yo2-1226457356778

Quicksand drama for Walloon horseman and Riverlink security guard Nic Martoo as he says he was going down with horse

by: Jane Chudleigh, Ipswich News
    August 24, 2012 12:26PM

Trapped in quicksand, alone in the outback, Walloon horseman Nic Martoo was determined that if his steed Tuscon was going down then so was he.

He said it took two hours for a fire and rescue team to arrive and winch them out, by which time Tuscon was about three quarters sunk into the heavy muck.

``That was pretty scary. I wasn't going to let him go on his own. If he was going, I was going with him. There was no self-preservation with that,'' Mr Martoo said.

But the head of Riverlink Shopping Centre security said the dramatic incident near Roma was the only ``bad day'' so far in his horseback trek from Longreach to Rosewood to raise money and awareness for Cancer Council Queensland and Riding for the Disabled.

There are only eight days left on his 49-day, 1150km journey, before he and Tuscon lead the carnival floats to mark the start of the Rosewood Festival on September 1.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1762 on: August 24, 2012, 02:20:48 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/celebrity-chef-matt-golinski-doesnt-know-why-he-was-spared-from-the-fire-that-claimed-his-wife-and-daughters/story-e6freon6-1226457093446

Celebrity chef Matt Golinski doesn't know why he was spared from the fire that claimed his wife and daughter
s

by: Janelle Miles
    August 24, 2012 5:31AM

MATT Golinski, who lost his wife and three daughters in a Boxing Day fire, is convinced he survived for a reason.

But eight months on, the celebrity chef is still trying to figure out what that reason is.

Mr Golinski received severe burns to 40 per cent of his body in the blaze which claimed his wife, Rachael, and daughters Starlia, 10, and 12-year-old twins, Willow and Sage.

"I have no idea why I was spared from the fire but I am determined to look forward and live a life that would make them proud," he said in his first interview since the tragedy.

"I want to honour the memory of Rachael and our girls by finding a silver lining somewhere in these dark clouds.

"To say my world has been turned upside down is an understatement. Although the loss of my family is unfathomable, at this stage of my recovery, I am simply grateful to be alive and to have experienced the love of my beautiful wife and three daughters."

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1763 on: August 24, 2012, 02:45:24 AM »

http://tools.themercury.com.au/stories/53651011-breaking-news.php

Baby Tassie devils keep hope alive

Jacqueline Le

August 24, 2012 3:34pm

TARONGA Zoo has welcomed three Tasmanian devils bred under a national program to halt a decline in the species.

The joeys, two males and a female, were bred at Sydney's Taronga Zoo as part of a nationwide program to help stop the species succumbing to a deadly facial tumour disease.

Zookeepers had to wait until they were old enough to leave their mother's pouch before determining their sex.

The yet-unnamed youngsters are the first to be born in Taronga Zoo's breeding season, but they're the second litter for their mother Nina.

"Nina is definitely a great mum," said keeper Tony Britt-Lewis.

"She is a significant contributor to the insurance breeding program for this iconic Australian species."

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1764 on: August 24, 2012, 02:54:09 AM »

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/245593/un-figure-praises-australia-for-leading-way-in-empowering-women/?cs=7

UN figure praises Australia for leading way in empowering women

By Richard Willingham
Aug. 24, 2012, 9:42 a.m.

FEMALE leaders have a priceless, long-term positive impact on improving gender equality, with Australia experiencing ''a very special situation'', says the executive director of United Nations Women, Michelle Bachelet.

Ms Bachelet visited Canberra yesterday to ''commend and thank'' the government's leadership and commitment to improving the lives of women throughout the world.

Ms Bachelet, whose family were political exiles in Australia in 1975, told the Herald: ''Seeing women in powerful positions, it opens the sky for young girls who thought they could never become a powerful person in the future.

''This country is living a very special situation. You have the first Prime Minister that is a woman, but also you have the Governor-General, the Attorney-General, you have a lot of important authorities that are women.

''I'm so convinced this will be a major step for what happens to girls and how they see their future in a different way to the way it was two decades ago.''

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1765 on: August 24, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/ipswich/quick-sand-drama-for-walloon-horseman-and-riverlink-security-guard-nic-martoo-as-he-says-he-was-going-down-with-horse/story-fn8m0yo2-1226457356778

Quicksand drama for Walloon horseman and Riverlink security guard Nic Martoo as he says he was going down with horse

by: Jane Chudleigh, Ipswich News
    August 24, 2012 12:26PM

Trapped in quicksand, alone in the outback, Walloon horseman Nic Martoo was determined that if his steed Tuscon was going down then so was he.

He said it took two hours for a fire and rescue team to arrive and winch them out, by which time Tuscon was about three quarters sunk into the heavy muck.

``That was pretty scary. I wasn't going to let him go on his own. If he was going, I was going with him. There was no self-preservation with that,'' Mr Martoo said.

But the head of Riverlink Shopping Centre security said the dramatic incident near Roma was the only ``bad day'' so far in his horseback trek from Longreach to Rosewood to raise money and awareness for Cancer Council Queensland and Riding for the Disabled.

There are only eight days left on his 49-day, 1150km journey, before he and Tuscon lead the carnival floats to mark the start of the Rosewood Festival on September 1.

The quicksand sounds so scarey.  And although I wouldn't want to see a man lose his life, it warms my heart Nic considered his horse Tucson as valuable as his own.  I'm glad they both were saved!     This is a far cry from some of the stories I read where people treat their pets and their animals as throw aways.  Not Nic!  I hope to see pics of Nic and Tucson leading the carnival floats soon!   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1766 on: August 24, 2012, 09:50:52 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/celebrity-chef-matt-golinski-doesnt-know-why-he-was-spared-from-the-fire-that-claimed-his-wife-and-daughters/story-e6freon6-1226457093446

Celebrity chef Matt Golinski doesn't know why he was spared from the fire that claimed his wife and daughter
s

by: Janelle Miles
    August 24, 2012 5:31AM

MATT Golinski, who lost his wife and three daughters in a Boxing Day fire, is convinced he survived for a reason.

But eight months on, the celebrity chef is still trying to figure out what that reason is.

Mr Golinski received severe burns to 40 per cent of his body in the blaze which claimed his wife, Rachael, and daughters Starlia, 10, and 12-year-old twins, Willow and Sage.

"I have no idea why I was spared from the fire but I am determined to look forward and live a life that would make them proud," he said in his first interview since the tragedy.

"I want to honour the memory of Rachael and our girls by finding a silver lining somewhere in these dark clouds.

"To say my world has been turned upside down is an understatement. Although the loss of my family is unfathomable, at this stage of my recovery, I am simply grateful to be alive and to have experienced the love of my beautiful wife and three daughters."

I'm not sure Mr. Golinski will ever find the answers he seeks, but I have much respect for him for this:

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1767 on: August 25, 2012, 12:05:21 AM »

I know Muffy.  So hard to even imagine what Matt is going through and all the emotions.  Good for him for going public as it may help others and give them incentive and courage if they are having a bad time.

Some of the comments under this article expressed this along with their admiration.

an angelic monkey

I will watch out for more items and pictures on the fund raising horseback trek for charity by Nic and that beautiful horse Tuscon.  So wonderful to read of such loyalty.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1768 on: August 25, 2012, 12:07:02 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/baby-names/story-e6freon6-1226457588982

Aussie baby names: What's your call?

by: Lisa Cornish, Josh Whittington
    August 25, 2012 12:00AM

JOHN and Margaret. They're the Aussies you've probably met before... quite a few times.

These two old favourites are the most popular male and female names in the history of the nation, according to a News Ltd analysis of Australian baby names going back to 1790, holding steady with generations of parents through gold rushes, war, depression, boom and bust, and even the rise of the internet.

Nearly 262,000 babies have been called John in the past 220 years, more than 65,000 ahead of its nearest male challenger, David, and more than 150,000 ahead of girls' favourite Margaret.

The name peaked in popularity in 1946 and didn't even make the top 100 last year, but its long-term status as a safe, solid option sees it comfortably ahead of others such as Michael, Peter and Robert.

Only William and James make both the top 10 of all time and last year.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1769 on: August 25, 2012, 12:10:05 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/cattle-herd-vanishes-in-devils-triangle/story-fndo1yus-1226457695340

Cattle herd vanishes in Devil's Triangle

Peter Michael
    The Courier-Mail

OUTBACK police in Queensland's $3 billion beef industry are investigating one of the biggest cattle-duffing operations since the days of the Devil's Triangle and bushranger Captain Starlight.

Cape York grazier Scott Harris, owner of the state's biggest single pastoral lease in the vast Strathmore Station near Croydon, had 860 head of prime bullocks stolen from his fattening blocks near Tambo three months ago.

The station owner has posted a $100,000 reward to help solve the riddle of how nearly $1 million of stock vanished in a theft that would have required a handful of stockmen, dogs, and at least four road trains.

'DODGER', 'DUFFER'... WHAT DO YOU CALL A THIEF?

You're not in the Wild West, so forget any talk of cattle rustling. In Australia, the practice of stealing stock is called cattle duffing.

Language expert Roly Sussex of the University of Queensland said cattle duffing was most likely derived for the word duffer, a piece of British slang for someone who deals in counterfeit goods.

Another colloquialism for a cattle thief is poddy dodger, which appears to be a regionality favoured in northern Australia.

Again, its roots lie with the Brits, where a poddy calf is a calf that has lost its mother (an orphan calf) - quite handy for a cattle thief.

Poddy is also British dialect for "fat", and could be related to fatting cattle.

Combined with dodge, the verb to move rapidly to avoid something - which therefore denotes showing some cunning and perhaps the ability to take something by stealth - and you have poddy dodger.

Poddy dodger originally referred to someone pinching unbranded calves from careless neighbours, but is now used in northern Australia in the same way as cattle duffing.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1770 on: August 25, 2012, 12:13:05 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/east/world-war-ii-veterans-commemorate-70th-anniversary-of-east-timor-mission/story-fn8m0sve-1226457573391

World War II veterans commemorate 70th anniversary of East Timor mission

by: Marg Maccoll, Southern Star

WITH only rifles and the clothes on their backs Fred Otway and about 20 members of the 2/2nd Commando survived for 12 months in the mountains of Timor Leste while helping to delay a Japanese advance to Australia during WWII.

Over the weekend, Otway, 91, of Mansfield and other veterans will travel to Timor Leste as part of an official Australian Government-led mission to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the important mission.

Otway was part of a mission called Sparrow Force, made up of the 2/40th Battalion and the 2/2nd Australian Independent Company of British-trained commandos.

He said when the Japanese invaded Timor's capital of Dili, during which 84 Australian soldiers died, he and about 20 others from the 2/2nd were in nearby mountains, having left their kit-bags behind at their base in Dili.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1771 on: August 26, 2012, 03:36:38 AM »

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2012/08/24/chef-matt-golinskis-amazing-gift/

Matt's $100k gift to burns victims

Mark Furler | 24th August 2012 6:00 AM

IN an incredible act of generosity, Sunshine Coast celebrity chef Matt Golinski will share $100,000 of the money given to him for his recovery to help other burns survivors.

Mr Golinski will gift some of the funds raised via the Matt Golinski Recovery Fund and Plates for Mates efforts to the Royal Women and Brisbane Hospital Foundation, the Fiona Wood Foundation and the Peter Hughes Burn Foundation.

"During my time in hospital and rehabilitation, I've met many other burns survivors,'' Mr Golinski, speaking publicly for the first time, said

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1772 on: August 26, 2012, 03:41:55 AM »

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Matt-Golinski-Tribute-Page/300958493280964

Matt Golinski Tribute Page shared 9 News's photo.
15 minutes ago

Queensland celebrity chef Matt Golinsky, who lost his wife and three daughters in a fire on Boxing Day has year, put aside his personal anguish to compete in a fun run today.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1773 on: August 26, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2012/08/24/chef-matt-golinskis-amazing-gift/

Matt's $100k gift to burns victims

Mark Furler | 24th August 2012 6:00 AM

IN an incredible act of generosity, Sunshine Coast celebrity chef Matt Golinski will share $100,000 of the money given to him for his recovery to help other burns survivors.

Mr Golinski will gift some of the funds raised via the Matt Golinski Recovery Fund and Plates for Mates efforts to the Royal Women and Brisbane Hospital Foundation, the Fiona Wood Foundation and the Peter Hughes Burn Foundation.

"During my time in hospital and rehabilitation, I've met many other burns survivors,'' Mr Golinski, speaking publicly for the first time, said

What an incredible man.  He will find his purpose!

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1774 on: August 28, 2012, 04:36:48 AM »

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2012/08/27/marathon-effort-for-charity-matt-golinsky-marathon/

Matt's marathon charity effort

Patrick Williams | 27th August 2012 8:36 AM

SOME ran to prove it to themselves, some ran to prove it to others.

Matt Golinski ran it for his girls.

The Sunshine Coast celebrity chef made his biggest public appearance since last year's tragic Boxing Day blaze as he ran in the 10km run, part of the Sunshine Coast Marathon and Community Run Festival yesterday.

It had been exactly eight months since the blaze which claimed the lives of his wife, Rachael, and three daughters, twins Willow and Sage and youngest Starlia.

The fire burned the family's Tewantin home to the ground, and left Matt hospitalised for months fighting third-degree burns to 40% of his body.

Applauded and cheered, Matt was flagged by friends and family, including his rehabilitation workers from Eden Rehabilitation Centre at Cooroy, as he ran.

The 40-year-old wanted to participate to support Ronald McDonald House charities.

His family had been involved with Ronald McDonald House through his twin girls.

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1775 on: August 28, 2012, 09:33:41 AM »

Good Morning Tibro.

Saw this this AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/27/ned-kelly-skull-found_n_1834296.html

Ned Kelly's Skull Reportedly Found

The Herald On Sunday reports that Anna Hoffman, 74, says she was given the skull by a security guard 30 years ago while on vacation in Melbourne. She said she was told it was "Ned's head."

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1776 on: August 31, 2012, 02:40:01 AM »

Thank you for the "heads up" 4 Donks  (Pun intended)

I wondered what sort of person would gather up souvenirs of their travels such as a skull but the article answers that question.   Monkey Devil!

I found other media items and I think the following is amusing :

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/ned-kellys-missing-skull-discovered-in-the-cupboard-of-a-witch-in-new-zealand-8084276.html

Ned Kelly's missing skull 'discovered' in the cupboard of a witch in New Zealand

John Hall
Tuesday 28 August 2012

The missing head of the Australian folk hero Ned Kelly has reportedly been discovered in the cupboard of a self-confessed witch in New Zealand.

74-year-old Anna Hoffman told New Zealand’s Herald on Sunday newspaper that a uniformed security guard had given her the skull at a family dinner 30 years ago while she was on holiday in Australia.

“We got talking about skulls and the next day he turned up with this skull. He said it was Ned Kelly's skull, and told me to 'put it in the bottom of your bag and wrap it up'.”

Ms Hoffman, who in the 1960s and 70s attracted media attention after claiming to be a witch, said she had cared for the head - one of more than 20 skulls in her collection.

“I have treated it with respect; I haven't lit candles in it or drunk red wine out of it or anything bohemian like that.”

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1777 on: August 31, 2012, 02:44:25 AM »

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/08/31/437572_gold-coast-news.html

Five-year-old boy's tattoo nightmare

Leah Fineran and Stephanie Bedo   |  12:01am August 31, 2012

IT was supposed to be a harmless holiday souvenir but a temporary tattoo could leave little Jess Errington with permanent health problems.

The five-year-old was enjoying a winter escape in Bali with his parents this month and begged to be allowed to have two henna dragon tattoos.

His "ink" had almost faded by the time he returned to school this week but in its place are 2mm raised, dragon-shaped welts.

His horrified parents, Paul Errington and Kirsty Dutton, have since discovered local artists had added a toxic chemical, para-phenylenediamine (PPD), to the usual vegetable dye mix to darken the tattoo.

In Australia the chemical which is used in strong hair dye, is known for causing allergic reactions with lifelong effects.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1778 on: August 31, 2012, 02:54:36 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/sausage-king-hornsby-butcher-adam-stratton-tops-competition-with-chocolate-snag/story-fndo4bst-1226462476701

Sausage king Hornsby butcher Adam Stratton tops competition with chocolate snag

Brian Karlovsky, Hornsby Advocate
    News Limited Network
    August 31, 2012 1:40PM

SOME like it hot, some like it sweet and some like it spicy. But for those who want it all - Hornsby butcher Adam Stratton has the answer.

His beef, chilli and dark chocolate sausage has taken out the gourmet section of the Australian Meat Industry Council's gourmet sausage prize.

"We took a big risk entering the chilli and dark chocolate into the competition because not everybody is going to like dark chocolate in a sausage," Mr Stratton said.

"But we have made it to suit our customers' palates and they love it - we sell 20kgs a week."

Snag is a slang term for sausage.  I have had chocolate with chilli flavouring but never with meat or in a meat product.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1779 on: August 31, 2012, 02:59:37 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/alan-jones-women-are-destroying-the-joint/story-fndo4eg9-1226462326339

ALAN JONES: Women are 'destroying the joint'

By Malcolm Farr, National Political Editor
    news.com.au
    August 31, 2012 11:12AM

BROADCASTER Alan Jones today accused women of "destroying the joint" as he widened his attack on Julia Gillard to take in other female public figures.

Mr Jones seemed to suggest that women should not be in politics as he ranked former Victorian Police Commissioner Christine Nixon and Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore along with the Prime Minister.

Julia Gillard's most robust critic on the airwaves - he once proposed she be put in a chaff bag and dropped into the sea - was furious over the aid the Prime Minister had announced for South Pacific nations.

Hmmmmm  .... wonder why there is no provision for commenting on this article? 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.