March 29, 2024, 02:06:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657750 times)
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1840 on: January 24, 2013, 05:29:37 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/tricia-the-perth-zoo-elephant-turns-56/story-e6freono-1226561199336

Tricia the Perth Zoo elephant turns 56

January 24, 2013 6:04PM

PERTH Zoo's beloved Asian elephant and longest resident Tricia has celebrated her 56th birthday in fitting style, with a jumbo cake.

The 1.5m frozen cake was made of Sultana Bran, some of her favourite fruits including watermelon and pineapple, and decorated with flowers and branches.

::snipping2::

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1841 on: January 24, 2013, 05:32:40 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/tv/olympic-swim-star-stephanie-rice-lands-tv-gig-with-nine/story-fncaks2k-1226560387980

Olympic swim star Stephanie Rice lands TV gig with Nine

by: Holly Byrnes
    January 23, 2013 11:00PM

Stephanie Rice has landed a gig with Channel 9's Today Show as a health and fitness reporter. Picture: Phil Hillyard Source: News Limited

EVEN the model good looks and world-beating athletic ability haven't been enough to spare Olympic swim star Stephanie Rice an ugly introduction to life in the spotlight.

But two years after she wept through a public apology for calling the Springboks rugby team "faggots'' in an errant Twitter posting, Rice says she considers the national scolding which followed as one of the best things to ever happen to her.

A more mature Rice said yesterday she had "turned a corner'' in the wake of the controversy, which has now become the template for the Australian Olympic Committee's social media training.

The 24-year-old Beijing gold medallist was devastated by the offense her homophobic slur caused but she says it set her on a path to changing the public's perception of her as a brattish party girl.

"If I could have had things over I would have changed it, but I learned so much from the experience I am kind of glad that it happened. I gave the footage to the AOC and they now show it at all their briefings for Olympians because, as we realised in London, social media can be such a big tool and also something they try to pull you back from.''

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1842 on: January 24, 2013, 09:20:56 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/tv/olympic-swim-star-stephanie-rice-lands-tv-gig-with-nine/story-fncaks2k-1226560387980

Stephanie Rice has landed a gig with Channel 9's Today Show as a health and fitness reporter. Picture: Phil Hillyard Source: News Limited

EVEN the model good looks and world-beating athletic ability haven't been enough to spare Olympic swim star Stephanie Rice an ugly introduction to life in the spotlight.

But two years after she wept through a public apology for calling the Springboks rugby team "faggots'' in an errant Twitter posting, Rice says she considers the national scolding which followed as one of the best things to ever happen to her.

A more mature Rice said yesterday she had "turned a corner'' in the wake of the controversy, which has now become the template for the Australian Olympic Committee's social media training.

The 24-year-old Beijing gold medallist was devastated by the offense her homophobic slur caused but she says it set her on a path to changing the public's perception of her as a brattish party girl.

"If I could have had things over I would have changed it, but I learned so much from the experience I am kind of glad that it happened. I gave the footage to the AOC and they now show it at all their briefings for Olympians because, as we realised in London, social media can be such a big tool and also something they try to pull you back from.''

That's wonderful that she has learned and is willing to share her experience.
Snowing here today!

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1843 on: February 05, 2013, 06:16:45 AM »

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/daniel-morcombe-died-soon-after-his-abduction-court-told-20130205-2dvop.html

Daniel Morcombe died soon after his abduction, court told

Date
    February 5, 2013 - 11:22AM

Amy Remeikis

Daniel Morcombe was murdered almost immediately after he was abducted, choked to death as he struggled to get away from his alleged killer, undercover officers allege.

The second half of the committal hearing for Brett Peter Cowan, the man accused of abducting and killing the 13-year-old on December 7, 2003, heard from the principal investigator of the case.

Detective Senior Sergeant Stephen John Blanchfield gave evidence that two undercover police officers had conversations with Mr Cowan on August 9 and 10, 2011, in which he allegedly explained how he killed the teenager.

Mr Cowan allegedly told the officers he had driven past where Daniel was waiting for a bus on the Nambour-Connection Road and decided to turn around and park in a nearby church parking lot.

He allegedly described walking through scrub and bushes to reach the underpass where Daniel was waiting and stood behind the teenager, pretending to wait for the bus.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/daniel-morcombe-died-soon-after-his-abduction-court-told-20130205-2dvop.html#ixzz2K1PYLnQa

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1844 on: February 05, 2013, 06:20:34 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/wave-of-sadness-to-return-with-diggers/story-e6freon6-1226571097126

Diggers come home with 'wave of sadness'

by: IAN McPHEDRAN - DEFENCE WRITER
    February 05, 2013 6:04PM

A FORMER senior army general has warned Parliament to brace for a "big wave of sadness" in the form of thousands of mentally ill soldiers from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Appearing before a Parliamentary Committee, retired Major General John Cantwell said there were potentially thousands of cases of post traumatic stress disorder among veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns.

"There is a large wave of sadness coming our way and the system, DVA (Veterans Affairs Department) and Defence, need to be ready for it and I wonder whether we are," he said.

"DVA has an enormously difficult job ahead."

He said he had felt deeply ashamed, alone and uncertain when his PTSD hit hard following his retirement from the army.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1845 on: February 05, 2013, 06:24:01 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/tv/ellens-gift-to-cancer-stricken-father-of-australian-brothers-julian-and-dailius-wilson/story-fncaks2k-1226570776690

Ellen DeGeneres gives $25,000 to cancer-stricken father of Australian brothers Julian and Dailius Wilson

February 05, 2013 12:08PM

THE father of two Sydney brothers who won their way onto The Ellen Show has been surprised with a cheque for $25,000 to help with his medical bills as he battles a brain tumour.

Recovering at the family's Forestville home, on Sydney's lower north shore, Mark Wilson had expected to be celebrating an appearance by his sons Julian and Dailius Wilson on their favourite US chat show, but became the latest recipient of the Emmy-winning host's generosity.

After flying her two fans to LA to watch a recording of her show, Ellen DeGeneres presented the teary brothers with the Swisse Wellness donation to help with their father's medical bills.

The heart-warming gift floored the Aussie duo, who watched the clip with their equally surprised parents today.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1846 on: February 06, 2013, 09:06:25 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/committal-hearing-into-the-murder-of-sunshine-coast-teenager-daniel-morcombe-continues/story-e6freoof-1226572486782

Brett Cowan committed to stand trial for the murder of Sunshine Coast teenager Daniel Morcombe

by: Kate Kyriacou
    February 07, 2013 9:52AM

ACCUSED killer Brett Cowan has been committed to stand trial for the murder of Daniel Morcombe.

9.41am: MR Bosscher conceded there was a case against his client.

''I can see that the prosecution have met the threshold test required,'' he said.

Chief Magistrate Brendan Butler committed Cowan to stand trial for the murder of Daniel Morcombe.

''The defendant before the court is facing five charges...the defence concedes there is evidence on which I may commit,'' he said.

''The prosecution case is that Daniel Morcombe disappeared on December 7, 2003, after he was seen missing a bus.''

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1847 on: February 07, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/bravest-parents-face-their-hardest-task/story-e6freoof-1226573054047

Bravest parents face their hardest task

by: Kate Kyriacou CHIEF CRIME REPORTER
    February 08, 2013 12:00AM

DENISE Morcombe wears a tiny red pin in the shape of a T-shirt when she comes to court to hear the horrors of her son's death.

It's the symbol of the Daniel Morcombe Foundation, the organisation she and husband Bruce run to keep children safe from predators.

It represents what their boy was wearing when he was last seen, standing by the side of the road in a brightly coloured shirt.

She was wearing the pin on Tuesday when the court heard accused killer Brett Peter Cowan had told an undercover officer about abducting 13-year-old Daniel from a Sunshine Coast highway and choking him to death after a failed rape attempt.

And it remained pinned to her dress as she and Bruce left the Brisbane Magistrates Court after learning Cowan would stand trial for the 2003 murder of their son.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1848 on: February 07, 2013, 09:02:08 PM »

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brief-reprieve-for-morcombes-after-nine-long-years-20130207-2e0a8.html

Brief reprieve for Morcombes after nine long years

Date
    February 7, 2013 - 12:33PM

Amy Remeikis
Reporter

For the first time since Daniel Morcombe went missing, his family have returned to their Sunshine Coast home with some certainty they will receive the answers they have waited nine years to hear.

Brett Peter Cowan, the man accused of abducting and murdering their 13-year-old son and brother, has been committed to stand trial.

It's been a long journey since Daniel failed to return from a Christmas shopping trip to Maroochydore in 2003 and his parents, Bruce and Denise, launched a frantic search of the Sunshine Coast.

The police got involved soon after and it became Queensland's largest criminal investigation.

No date has been set, but it is hoped that the trial can be held in the second half of 2013, possibly October.

It means that about the same time the Morcombes mark 10 years since Daniel's disappearance and what would have been his 24th birthday, they may know the truth about his death.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brief-reprieve-for-morcombes-after-nine-long-years-20130207-2e0a8.html#ixzz2KGhhah8i

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1849 on: February 20, 2013, 08:09:58 AM »

Thank you for these updates.  Nine years -- what a long time to even set for a trial.
How much more can these parents endure?  I guess enough to get the answers (I hope) to their questions.
 ::justice2NJ::

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1850 on: February 23, 2013, 07:07:49 PM »

Thank you for these updates.  Nine years -- what a long time to even set for a trial.
How much more can these parents endure?  I guess enough to get the answers (I hope) to their questions.
 ::justice2NJ::

It is a long time to wait for justice.  I am sure the Police had this monster in their sights for many years before they could get enough evidence together to arrest him.  Finding Daniel's remains also gave his family some closure but sitting through the details of the committal hearing, and soon the trial, would be almost impossible.  But I can understand how they would want to know everything they can about Daniel's final minutes.  So incredibly sad.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1851 on: February 23, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »

Sister hoping all goes well for you and you get to be Belle's Mom.  Such a lovely, gentle and intelligent breed who are just like having another person in the house except they do not chatter all the time.   

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1852 on: February 23, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/national/three-new-cotton-tops-born-at-perth-zoo/story-e6frfku9-1226583817065

Three new cotton-tops born at Perth Zoo

AAP
    February 22, 2013 7:47PM

THEY are barely a few centimetres tall but they are already showing signs of being feisty little monkeys.

Three cotton-top tamarins were recently born at Perth Zoo - one in December and two in January - bringing the zoo's total population to 23.

Zoo keeper Katie Saunders said while the Colombian animals did not have names yet, they were already making an impact on the primate enclosure.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/national/three-new-cotton-tops-born-at-perth-zoo/story-e6frfku9-1226583817065#ixzz2LlolLvGe

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1853 on: February 23, 2013, 07:24:32 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/missing-brit-backpackers-story-leaves-outback-rescuers-puzzled/story-e6freoof-1226584253017

Missing Brit backpacker's story leaves outback rescuers puzzled

by: Brittany Vonow
    February 24, 2013 12:00AM

SOMETHING is just not stacking up in the story of rescued backpacker Sam Woodhead.

The Sunday Mail this week returned to Upshot Station and with the assistance of expert local tracker Stephen Parker, retraced the footsteps of the 18-year-old Brit who went missing from the cattle property 114km south-west of Longreach.

The trek has raised more questions than answers - issues puzzling locals since he was found after three days lost in the harsh scrub in 40C temperatures.

By Mr Woodhead's own account of what happened while he was missing - visiting a car dump on the property, climbing a hill and crossing a fence - at times he was barely out of sight of the homestead.

Facts in the backpacker's story have left Mr Parker and fellow searchers perplexed.

Mr Woodhead told the UK paper Mail on Sunday in a paid exclusive that after running about 6km and using up his water, he climbed a hill to try to see where the homestead was after about 90 minutes.

(I think the words I have highlighted could be the answer)   

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1854 on: February 23, 2013, 07:27:47 PM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/husband-of-missing-woman-prepares-to-meet-detectives/story-e6freoof-1226584190684

Husband of missing woman Novy Chardon returns to Australia and prepares to meet detectives

by: Greg Stolz

THE husband of missing Gold Coast mother Novy Chardon says he did not do anything to her as he prepares to meet detectives investigating her disappearance.

Mr Chardon, 65, spoke to The Sunday Mail yesterday after arriving home from an overseas business trip he took after his 34-year-old wife vanished. He said he would meet detectives this week.

"I haven't spoken to the police and I can't comment until I do," he said.

"All I will say is that I did not f---ing do anything to her and we don't know where the f--- she is. We just don't. There's a lot more complication to it."

Mr Chardon did not elaborate, saying his lawyer had instructed him not to speak to the media.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1855 on: February 24, 2013, 08:18:47 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/missing-brit-backpackers-story-leaves-outback-rescuers-puzzled/story-e6freoof-1226584253017

Missing Brit backpacker's story leaves outback rescuers puzzled

by: Brittany Vonow

SOMETHING is just not stacking up in the story of rescued backpacker Sam Woodhead.

The Sunday Mail this week returned to Upshot Station and with the assistance of expert local tracker Stephen Parker, retraced the footsteps of the 18-year-old Brit who went missing from the cattle property 114km south-west of Longreach.

The trek has raised more questions than answers - issues puzzling locals since he was found after three days lost in the harsh scrub in 40C temperatures.

By Mr Woodhead's own account of what happened while he was missing - visiting a car dump on the property, climbing a hill and crossing a fence - at times he was barely out of sight of the homestead.

Facts in the backpacker's story have left Mr Parker and fellow searchers perplexed.

Mr Woodhead told the UK paper Mail on Sunday in a paid exclusive that after running about 6km and using up his water, he climbed a hill to try to see where the homestead was after about 90 minutes.

(I think the words I have highlighted could be the answer)   

I think you are probably right on!

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1856 on: February 24, 2013, 08:19:43 AM »

Sister hoping all goes well for you and you get to be Belle's Mom.  Such a lovely, gentle and intelligent breed who are just like having another person in the house except they do not chatter all the time.   

and, and, not only do they not chatter  . . . they love unconditionally . . . so looking forward to it!

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1857 on: March 11, 2013, 09:14:40 PM »

and, and, not only do they not chatter  . . . they love unconditionally . . . so looking forward to it!

So pleased to read Belle is home with you and I know it will be the best thing that could happen for both of you.  Love those GSDs   

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1858 on: March 11, 2013, 09:16:25 PM »

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/movies/bindi-irwin-finds-love-in-return-to-nims-island/story-e6frexli-1226594987513

Bindi Irwin finds love in Return to Nim's Island

Vicky Roach
    News Limited Network
    March 12, 2013 6:23AM

BINDI Irwin is growing up - fast.

The wildlife warrior has a love interest in her first major feature film, Return to Nim's Island.

In Sydney today, 14-year-old Irwin said the role of a conservation-minded castaway - played by Abigail Breslin in the original 2008 film that also starred Jodie Foster and Gerard Butler - was almost custom made for her.

''Nim is a little bit uppity but apart from that we are quite similar.''

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1859 on: March 12, 2013, 09:26:48 AM »

So pleased to read Belle is home with you and I know it will be the best thing that could happen for both of you.  Love those GSDs   
Thank you.  She is asleep by my chair right now.  Loving me some GSD.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.