March 28, 2024, 04:02:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657459 times)
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1880 on: June 07, 2013, 12:38:24 PM »

From one of our members: Today is National Military Working Dog Day in Australia. This is the national memorial organised by sappers with support from the Chief of the Defence Force and installed on June 7th, 2012.

Sapper Darren Smith and his explosive detection dog Herbie were killed in 2010 by a road-side bomb while on duty in Afghanistan. They have been remembered at this special memorial at the RSPCA's headquarters in Wacol.

If anyone is wondering, America does not have a national MWD Day, but many cities and states celebrate MWD Veteran's Day on March 13th. More information here: http://k9veteransday.org/

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1881 on: June 08, 2013, 07:27:04 PM »

From one of our members: Today is National Military Working Dog Day in Australia. This is the national memorial organised by sappers with support from the Chief of the Defence Force and installed on June 7th, 2012.

Sapper Darren Smith and his explosive detection dog Herbie were killed in 2010 by a road-side bomb while on duty in Afghanistan. They have been remembered at this special memorial at the RSPCA's headquarters in Wacol.

If anyone is wondering, America does not have a national MWD Day, but many cities and states celebrate MWD Veteran's Day on March 13th. More information here: http://k9veteransday.org/

It's my Dad's birthday, too.  I will never forget this holiday.  What a wonderful day to celebrate!  My Dad loves the military and will love that his birthday is connected to this!

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1882 on: June 12, 2013, 01:59:56 AM »

to Bearly and Sister.  Good to see you both posting here.

Sending prayers to you both and your loved ones.  Also to all other monkeys needing them, especially 4 Donks.

I remember the inaugural National Military Working Dog Day last year but have not come across any mention of it this year.  I am sure it has been held but our media likes more sensational things to report about. 

Also now my favourite news site has chosen to charge to read articles so I have to find a less greedy source.  They have plenty of advertisements linked to their site and I know so many monkeys follow my links to read there which must be reaping them even more income but it seems they feel their news is worth paying for.  That is mostly a debatable subject as we all know.

Take care monkey friends.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1883 on: June 12, 2013, 02:02:43 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/queensland/bruce-and-denise-morecombe-rewarded-for-tireless-child-safety-campaign-with-oam-in-queens-birthday-honours-list/story-fnii5v6w-1226661000560

Bruce and Denise Morecombe rewarded for tireless child safety campaign with OAM in Queen's Birthday Honours list

Kathleen Donaghey
The Courier-Mail
June 10, 2013 12:01AM

DAY after day, Sunshine Coast parents Bruce and Denise Morcombe devote their time to keeping children safe.

They are often on the road, travelling across the country to schools and events with their safety message.

For their tireless efforts through the Daniel Morcombe Foundation, Bruce and Denise have each been awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM), the nation's highest recognition.

The Morcombes are among dozens of Queenslanders and 582 Australians recognised for their diverse contributions and distinguished service nationally and internationally. The recipients have been recognised with awards in the general division of the Order of Australia 2013 Queen's Birthday honours list.

Read more: http://www.couriermail.com.au/national-news/queensland/bruce-and-denise-morecombe-rewarded-for-tireless-child-safety-campaign-with-oam-in-queens-birthday-honours-list/story-fnii5v6w-1226661000560#ixzz2Vym1WZqR

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1884 on: June 12, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »

Sending prayers to you both and your loved ones.  Also to all other monkeys needing them, especially 4 Donks.

I remember the inaugural National Military Working Dog Day last year but have not come across any mention of it this year.  I am sure it has been held but our media likes more sensational things to report about. 

Also now my favourite news site has chosen to charge to read articles so I have to find a less greedy source.  They have plenty of advertisements linked to their site and I know so many monkeys follow my links to read there which must be reaping them even more income but it seems they feel their news is worth paying for.  That is mostly a debatable subject as we all know.

Take care monkey friends

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1885 on: June 18, 2013, 03:03:28 PM »

Take care monkey friends.

Hi Tibro!  It's good to see you! 

I don't know why, but I read that sentence as 'Also now my favorite news site has chosen to read monkey articles.'  I am running up and down doing the wash, so I must have gotten my wires crossed!!!  Gotta have my brain rewired.

I hope you find a site you like better (not than the Monkeys!) but than the one with so many commercials!  It doesn't seem right to charge twice.  I am really starting to get sick of seeing so many advertisements over and over.  It makes me want to grab a good book.  I quit the internet for about a year and a half for that very reason.  It really was nice getting back to reading novels with happy endings instead of all the insanity that was going on.  The only trouble was I missed my Monkeys.  Then I came back and Klaas asked me to be a Mod and I have been here since, except for crises that happen all too often.  I would never do this on purpose, but it feels good to be missed.  Around here (where I physically am), the only time someone misses me is if they need something,  But I am sure you all know that song well!!!

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1886 on: June 25, 2013, 12:16:10 AM »

Bearly I know exactly what you mean.  Seems our telephone only works one way unless something is needed but I guess that is the way it works these days. 

I have become somewhat sneaky and go read the headlines (which are still free to read) at my usual newspaper site and then google the subject I think may interest the monkeys and if I find it on a non paying site then I link to that.  If the old site misses some monkey viewings then so be it.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1887 on: June 25, 2013, 12:19:44 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/queensland/celebrity-chef-matt-golinski-finds-another-soulmate-after-emerging-from-killer-fire-tragedy/story-fnii5v6w-1226668973738

Celebrity chef Matt Golinski finds another soulmate after emerging from killer fire tragedy

Brittany Vonow
The Courier-Mail
June 25, 2013 12:00AM

CELEBRITY chef Matt Golinski has found new love with the woman who helped him recover from the devastating fire that changed his life.

Erin Yarwood, a Brisbane personal trainer, last night confirmed she and Matt were in a relationship.

``Yes, we are,'' she said from France.

``We've been together for maybe four months.''

The couple are currently travelling overseas together.

``We just arrived in Paris.

``We'll be travelling for a couple of weeks,'' Ms Yarwood said.

It is believed they have travelled to France for the Plates for Mates cruise organised to raise money for Matt Golinski and other charities.

The 27-year-old personal trainer said the couple had met at the rehabilitation hospital where she works with physiotherapists to help various patients' recoveries.

Read more: http://www.couriermail.com.au/national-news/queensland/celebrity-chef-matt-golinski-finds-another-soulmate-after-emerging-from-killer-fire-tragedy/story-fnii5v6w-1226668973738#ixzz2XCN2PHlX

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1888 on: July 13, 2013, 09:31:12 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/queensland/celebrity-chef-matt-golinski-finds-another-soulmate-after-emerging-from-killer-fire-tragedy/story-fnii5v6w-1226668973738

Celebrity chef Matt Golinski finds another soulmate after emerging from killer fire tragedy

Brittany Vonow
The Courier-Mail

CELEBRITY chef Matt Golinski has found new love with the woman who helped him recover from the devastating fire that changed his life.

Erin Yarwood, a Brisbane personal trainer, last night confirmed she and Matt were in a relationship.

It is believed they have travelled to France for the Plates for Mates cruise organised to raise money for Matt Golinski and other charities.

The 27-year-old personal trainer said the couple had met at the rehabilitation hospital where she works with physiotherapists to help various patients' recoveries.

Read more: http://www.couriermail.com.au/national-news/queensland/celebrity-chef-matt-golinski-finds-another-soulmate-after-emerging-from-killer-fire-tragedy/story-fnii5v6w-1226668973738#ixzz2XCN2PHlX

oh joy!  I am so glad he is happy again!
I wish them the best!

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1889 on: July 21, 2013, 05:23:53 AM »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/bindi-irwin-has-world-on-her-mind/story-fnihsrf2-1226682446659

Bindi Irwin has world on her mind

Kathleen Donaghey
    The Sunday Mail (Qld)
    July 21, 2013 12:00AM

WILDLIFE Warrior Bindi Irwin is all grown up and ready to rumble.

The late Croc Hunter's blossoming daughter turns 15 this week and is ready to swap singing and dancing for serious debate.

And one of the issues closest to her heart is family planning and birth control to curb overpopulation of the planet.

In an exclusive interview, a passionate and thoughtful Bindi said she wanted to jolt people into a discussion.

''As I've gotten older I've started to want to tackle bigger issues facing the world today,'' said Bindi.

"So, starting to discuss issues that people might not want to talk about, such as not consuming wildlife or human over-population - issues that people tend to push aside and don't focus on.

''They seem to be like the elephant in the room that everyone keeps avoiding and we can't make positive change unless we talk about these issues.''

Bindi said she was upset that very young girls in Third World countries were having children and some women had more than they could feed.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1890 on: July 21, 2013, 10:47:58 AM »

Brittany Vonow
The Courier-Mail

oh joy!  I am so glad he is happy again!
I wish them the best!

I totally agree! 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1891 on: July 23, 2013, 07:59:49 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/australian-government-gives-royal-baby-a-bilby-as-a-present/story-e6frfmqi-1226683878308

Australian government gives royal baby a bilby as a present

ANTHONY SHARWOOD
    news.com.au
    July 23, 2013 4:00PM

YOU bloody bilby beauty.

That's the official word from Australia's leading bilby crusader Frank Manthey, aka "Frank The Bilby Man", after the Australian government's bilby-related gift to the royal baby.

The Rudd government announced this afternoon it would give a toy bilby to the baby as well as a $10,000 grant towards bilby research at Sydney's Taronga Park Zoo. The zoo's bilby will also bear the new prince's name, subject to zoo approval.

"Overall, I am really pleased with that," Frank Manthey of Save The Bilby Fund said.

"When the young fellow is old enough, I'd like to think when his parents bring him to Australia he could have a photo taken with one of our bilbies.

"Anything that gives publicity to our native species and particularly the bilby is great news, whether it's Taronga Zoo or Dreamworld or our captive breeding facility at Charleville, which is where I would've preferred the money to go."

The bilby is a long-earned, unbelievably cute desert-dwelling marsupial which is critically endangered due to the scourge of feral animals - especially cats.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/australian-government-gives-royal-baby-a-bilby-as-a-present/story-e6frfmqi-1226683878308#ixzz2ZrxqvZ00

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1892 on: July 24, 2013, 07:35:59 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/australian-government-gives-royal-baby-a-bilby-as-a-present/story-e6frfmqi-1226683878308

ANTHONY SHARWOOD
    news.com.au

YOU bloody bilby beauty.

That's the official word from Australia's leading bilby crusader Frank Manthey, aka "Frank The Bilby Man", after the Australian government's bilby-related gift to the royal baby.

The Rudd government announced this afternoon it would give a toy bilby to the baby as well as a $10,000 grant towards bilby research at Sydney's Taronga Park Zoo. The zoo's bilby will also bear the new prince's name, subject to zoo approval.

"Overall, I am really pleased with that," Frank Manthey of Save The Bilby Fund said.

"When the young fellow is old enough, I'd like to think when his parents bring him to Australia he could have a photo taken with one of our bilbies.

"Anything that gives publicity to our native species and particularly the bilby is great news, whether it's Taronga Zoo or Dreamworld or our captive breeding facility at Charleville, which is where I would've preferred the money to go."

The bilby is a long-earned, unbelievably cute desert-dwelling marsupial which is critically endangered due to the scourge of feral animals - especially cats.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/australian-government-gives-royal-baby-a-bilby-as-a-present/story-e6frfmqi-1226683878308#ixzz2ZrxqvZ00

Now that's such a wonderful and thoughtful gift for the baby that will have everything!
Love it!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1893 on: August 07, 2013, 01:25:09 PM »

ANTHONY SHARWOOD
    news.com.au

YOU bloody bilby beauty.

Now that's such a wonderful and thoughtful gift for the baby that will have everything!
Love it!

^^^^^
Agree with what Sister says!      

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1894 on: August 26, 2013, 01:03:30 AM »

ANTHONY SHARWOOD
    news.com.au

YOU bloody bilby beauty.

Love it!

^^^^^
Agree with what Sister says!      

Yes I think a donation to an endangered animal research programme or a shelter is an ideal gift for anyone.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1895 on: August 26, 2013, 01:08:10 AM »

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/stabbed-police-dog-koda-makes-8216amazing8217-recovery-man-to-face-court/story-fni6uo1m-1226704104318

Stabbed police dog Koda makes 'amazing' recovery - man to face court

Chief Court Reporter Sean Fewster
    The Advertiser
    August 26, 2013 8:53AM

THE police dog stabbed during a high-risk arrest yesterday has recovered well from potentially life-threatening injuries.

Vets today revealed Koda, the six-year-old german shepherd police dog, suffered a nicked jugular vein when he was stabbed, allegedly by a wanted man at Elizabeth yesterday.

A man, 30, of no fixed address will face the Elizabeth Magistrates Court this afternoon.

He has yet to plead to one aggravated count of attempted robbery, four counts of theft and one count of aggravated serious criminal trespass.

He also has yet to plead to one aggravated count of assaulting a police officer, and one count each of property damage and ill treat an animal to cause death or serious harm.

It is alleged the charges arise from a two-hour spree of offending in the northern suburbs yesterday.

It is alleged that as Koda restrained the man, he stabbed the dog in the chest - leaving a 8cm-deep wound.

The man was bitten by Koda before being restrained and handcuffed by police.

Koda later underwent emergency surgery for his wound.

SA Police yesterday described Koda as "a legend around the office".

They said that, in the past three months, he had assisted in four arrests - including an incident in which he tracked a suspect for more than 1km through dense scrub.

This morning, Koda was released from Vets for Pets at Golden Grove.

I love this sentence :

"The man was bitten by Koda before being restrained and handcuffed by police."   

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1896 on: August 26, 2013, 08:42:47 PM »

We all know how smart Police Dogs can be.  Now they can even post on Facebook : 

SA Police News

Hi everyone, Koda the Police Dog here. My friends at the Media Section have let me log on here to give you an update on how I’m feeling.

I’m a bit sore, but am starting to feel better. My handler and the rest of my collies……oops, I mean colleagues (it’s hard typing with paws!) at the Dog Operations Unit will be looking after me over the next couple of weeks, and I’m sure I’ll be back on patrol soon.

Thanks for all your messages of support, it has brought a wag to my tail!

Anyway, I can hear my dog bed calling me, so I had better go and get some rest.

Woof at you soon,
Koda!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1897 on: August 26, 2013, 10:40:21 PM »

We all know how smart Police Dogs can be.  Now they can even post on Facebook : 

SA Police News

Hi everyone, Koda the Police Dog here. My friends at the Media Section have let me log on here to give you an update on how I’m feeling.

I’m a bit sore, but am starting to feel better. My handler and the rest of my collies……oops, I mean colleagues (it’s hard typing with paws!) at the Dog Operations Unit will be looking after me over the next couple of weeks, and I’m sure I’ll be back on patrol soon.

Thanks for all your messages of support, it has brought a wag to my tail!

Anyway, I can hear my dog bed calling me, so I had better go and get some rest.

Woof at you soon,
Koda!

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1898 on: October 20, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/nsw-act/military-on-standby-as-rfs-tells-families-to-be-ready-to-run-as-nsws-300km-wall-of-fire-continues-its-destruction/story-fnii5s3x-1226743469519

Military on standby as RFS tells families to be ready to run as NSW's 300km wall of fire continues its destruction

JANET FIFE-YEOMANS, BEN McCLELLAN, ALICIA WOOD
    The Daily Telegraph
    October 21, 2013 11:57A

EVERY resource NSW can muster - including possibly the military - is being sent to fight the Blue Mountains bushfires, as fears grow that a mega-fire could form.

While there are 56 fires still active across the state on Monday - 12 uncontained - the focus is the large State Mine fire near Lithgow.

Sydney awoke to hazardous air quality exceeding national health standards, as particles from bush fire smoke set in over the city.

The Office of Environment is reporting visibility issues from Sydney east to south west, north west and the Illawarra.

God bless all the fire fighters and emergency services as well as all those who have lost property and possessions.  Terrible fires in a most beautiful area called the Blue Mountains and it is not even summer here yet.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1899 on: October 21, 2013, 08:14:43 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news-2/boy-11-quizzed-over-fire-military-on-standby-rfs-puts-families-on-alert-and-sydney-blanketed-by-hazardous-air-as-nsws-300km-wall-of-fire-continues-its-destruction/story-e6frfkp9-1226743863985

Boys, 11 and 14, charged with starting fires

JANET FIFE-YEOMANS, BEN McCLELLAN, ALICIA WOOD
    The Daily Telegraph
    October 21, 2013 3:17PM

TWO boys, aged 11 and 14, have been labelled stupid and reckless after being charged with deliberately lighting fires in New South Wales.

Two boys, aged 11 and 14, have been labelled stupid and reckless after being charged with deliberately lighting fires in New South Wales.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.