March 28, 2024, 09:10:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657524 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1920 on: December 12, 2013, 09:14:44 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/kiwi-man-reese-mckees-facebook-plea-to-find-katie-bombards-woman-with-2000-messages-she-deletes-social-media/story-fnjwnhzf-1226782058359

Kiwi man Reese McKee's Facebook plea to find 'Katie' bombards woman with 2000 messages; she deletes social media

December 13, 2013 12:42AM

A NEW Zealand man who begged the internet to help him find a mystery American woman he met in Hong Kong has found his "Katie" - but it seems she's not too happy with the media attention.

Kiwi man Reese McKee’s Facebook post asking for help finding an American woman he’d spent a magical evening New Year's Eve with in Hong Kong quickly went viral, becoming a media sensation.

The 25-year-old asked internet detectives to help him track down the woman – who he says only gave him her first name Katie, was from Washington DC, and left him with a photo and the request ‘find me’ when they parted after spending hours together in Hong Kong.

However, online sleuths quickly found "Katie" and hassled her with so many messages that she has gone into hiding, deleting all her social media accounts, he told the New Zealand Herald.

A couple of things come to mind here.  Katie left Reese with a photo and a request "find me" when they parted.  I suppose it's "Don't wish for something, you just might get it", after there were over 2000 messages.     And the second thing that came to mind was, perhaps Katie now feels what happened in Hong Kong stays in Hong Kong.    It appears she had no idea of the power of social media.  I wonder if Katie and Reese McKee will ever meet again, and if so, is there any future?  I'm not sure they would ever let the cat out of the bag if they did. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1921 on: December 12, 2013, 09:18:11 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/how-a-cartel-involving-colgatepalmolive-cussons-and-unilever-began-over-laundry-powder/story-fnkgdhrc-1226781937903

How a cartel involving Colgate-Palmolive, Cussons and Unilever began over laundry powder

December 13, 2013 12:00AM

AD it remained secret, "Project Mastermind" - allegedly hatched by Colgate-Palmolive to fix prices in the laundry powder market - would have reaped it and rivals Cussons and Unilever a cool $146 million.

But a decision by Unilever to come clean over the alleged cartel now leaves its competitors and others facing fines of up to $100 million.

In Federal Court action filed in Sydney, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission claims Colgate, Cussons and Unilever conspired to stop supplying standard concentrate in early 2009 and "simultaneously transition" Cold Power, Radiant and Omo respectively, to ultra concentrates.

The ACCC alleges the trio agreed to sell their super-strength powders for the "same price per wash as the equivalent standard concentrated products and not pass on the cost savings to consumers".

This had a "significant" effect on competition, the ACCC alleges.

I guess this would be what is known as "airing your dirty washing"    

Laundry detergent cartel?  Who would have thought?! 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1922 on: December 31, 2013, 11:03:13 PM »

Right Muffy.  I am sure I would go into hiding like Katie did after all that activity.

And I have come to the conclusion that everything is price controlled by cartels.  Full marks to Unilever for being honest and exposing this one.  I hope more companies that are part of a cartel or approached to become part of one also choose the honest path.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1923 on: December 31, 2013, 11:06:03 PM »

I hope all Monkeys had a happy Christmas and holiday time with their loved ones.   

And I wish all Monkeys a Happy and Healthy New Year. Stay safe monkey friends.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1924 on: January 02, 2014, 09:35:20 AM »

I hope all Monkeys had a happy Christmas and holiday time with their loved ones.   

And I wish all Monkeys a Happy and Healthy New Year. Stay safe monkey friends.

Thank you Tib, and wishing the same to you too!!   

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1925 on: January 02, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »

Tibro

Have a happy and safe New Year 

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1926 on: January 02, 2014, 12:16:07 PM »

Tribo Have a Happy and safe New Year. Thanks for sharing with us.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1927 on: January 05, 2014, 05:49:05 AM »

Thankyou Muffy, 4 Donks and Green Eyes.  Love to know you enjoy this thread.

(only cute green icon)

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1928 on: January 05, 2014, 05:51:26 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/antarctic-passengers-resume-journey-home/story-e6frfku9-1226795106308

US icebreaker sent to help trapped vessels

January 05, 2014 8:21PM

AN American icebreaker will try to free two ships trapped by thick Antarctic ice.

The US Coast Guard's Polar Star accepted a request from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) to help the Russian ship Akademik Shokalskiy, which has been marooned since Christmas Eve.

It will also aid the Chinese icebreaker Xue Long, which was involved in a dramatic helicopter rescue of the Shokalskiy's 52 passengers last Thursday before also becoming beset by ice.

AMSA on Sunday confirmed the Polar Star, which was on its way from Seattle for an Antarctic mission, had diverted course and was on its way to help.

It will take about seven days for the icebreaker, with a crew of 140 people, to reach Commonwealth Bay after collecting supplies from Sydney on Sunday.

The AMSA spokeswoman said the Polar Star had greater capabilities than the Russian and Chinese vessels.

"It can break ice over six metres thick, while those vessels can break one-metre ice," she told AAP on Sunday.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1929 on: January 05, 2014, 05:55:10 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/sunshine-coast-mother-and-daughter-die-in-bali-of-suspected-food-allergy/story-fnii5v6w-1226794973029

Sunshine Coast mother and daughter die in Bali of suspected food allergy

January 05, 2014 1:00AM

A MOTHER and daughter who tragically died while holidaying in Bali have been described as "best friends" who did everything together by their family.

Noelene Gay Bischoff, 54, and Yvana Jeana Yuri Bischoff, 14, from Wurtulla on the Sunshine Coast, died after falling ill from suspected food poisoning early yesterday.

Noelene's mother Jean Bischoff said the pair were inseparable.

"They were so close, they lived for each other, they had a beautiful relationship," she said.

"Noelene worked so hard to make sure Yvana had everything she needed.

"Yvana was such a bright young lady, she was always getting As at school, she wanted to be a vet."

Overnight it was reported: A QUEENSLAND mother and her teenage daughter died yesterday in separate ambulances just one day after arriving in Bali on holiday.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1930 on: January 05, 2014, 05:14:18 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/did-fish-dinner-kill-mum-and-daugher-noelene-and-yvana-bischoff/story-fnizu68q-1226795468052

Did fish dinner kill mum and daugher Noelene and Yvana Bischoff?

January 06, 2014 1:00AM

THE grieving family of a Sunshine Coast mother and daughter who died in Bali believe a $6 plate of fish could be to blame.

The Courier-Mail can reveal details of the final meal Noelene Bischoff ate with her daughter Yvana - a grand feast at their hotel resort of mahi mahi fish, chicken curry and vegetarian pizza.

Just six and a half hours after the meal, Noelene was dead.

Yvana, 14, held onto life for only a few hours longer than her mother.

Police are investigating the final meal the pair shared at the Buddha Bar and Restaurant attached to the Padang Bai Beach resort in Karangasem, as well as medication found in the pair's room. They have ruled out criminal activity.

The feast - three days into the 15-day holiday the close pair had excitedly planned - cost the equivalent of just 20 Australian dollars, with the fish the most expensive of the main courses at $6.

Restaurant staff from the Padang Bai Beach Resort yesterday insisted Yvana did not eat the fish and that other guests ate the same meal with no problems.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1931 on: January 07, 2014, 06:03:46 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/noelene-and-yvana-bischoffs-family-reject-bali-autopsy/story-fnizu68q-1226796077275

Noelene and Yvana Bischoff's family reject Bali autopsy

January 07, 2014 6:16PM

THE family of the mother and daughter who tragically died in Bali have confirmed they want the autopsies performed in Australia.

Malcolm Bischoff, the brother of Noelene and uncle of teen Yvana, said the family was desperate for answers.

"We have been told they may not release the bodies without them (Indonesian authorities) doing an autopsy ... but we would like it done here," he said.

"All we want is the truth."

Queensland's acting Attorney-General David Crisafulli said the Queensland coroner would step in after the family opted not to allow an autopsy to be performed in Bali.

"The Bischoff family deserve answers and the Queensland Coroner will step in to help," he said.

Mr Crisafulli said he had directed the Coroner to have autopsies performed in Queensland after being contacted by the family.

"The coroner has approached the Indonesian government through the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade," he said.

"I am under the understanding that DFAT has already begun negotiations with the Indonesian Government so I really would like to think ... it could occur sooner rather than later.

"At this stage it appears that all parties are willing to enable that occur."

He said he expected Indonesian authorities would take on board any findings the Queensland coroner makes.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1932 on: January 07, 2014, 11:14:55 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/are-medications-key-to-deaths-of-queenslanders-noelene-and-yvana-bischoff-who-died-in-bali/story-fnizu68q-1226796915877

Are medications key to deaths of Queenslanders Noelene and Yvana Bischoff, who died in Bali?

January 08, 2014 1:00AM

INDONESIAN drugs used to treat an allergic reaction have been found in the hotel room of Noelene Bischoff and her daughter Yvana, who mysteriously died in Bali on Saturday.

Noelene, a Sunshine Coast nurse, had packed all the medications she might need on an overseas holiday with her 14-year-old daughter.

Indonesian police investigating the pair's sudden deaths revealed they found 29 prescription and non-prescription medications in the pair's room, including two Indonesian-made anti-allergy drugs, as well as vitamins and over-the-counter drugs such as Nurofen and Immodium.

I find the amount of medications taken with them on their trip to be excessive as, according to family, neither of these two suffered from allergies.  I can understand packing meds for tummy upsets, headaches and such but not these extreme allergy and asthma medications unless one of them required it normally.  Also when leaving our country all medications that are not readily available OTC have to be accompanied by a medical certificate or copy of the prescription.  I think that could also be the case entering Indonesia or it was when we travelled there several years ago, and I  cannot imagine these restrictions being eased in any way since then.  Hope we will get some answers soon on this tragic case.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1933 on: January 07, 2014, 11:18:50 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/is-qantas-still-the-worlds-safest-airline/story-e6frfq80-1226796848267

Is Qantas still the world's safest airline?

January 07, 2014 8:40PM

THE Flying Kangaroo has long been hailed for its impressive safety record.

It was even glorified in the 1988 movie Rain Man, with Dustin Hoffman's character declaring it "the airline that has never crashed".

But is this really true?

The 93-year-old airline has just been declared the world's safest carrier by aviation safety analysts AirlineRatings.com .

According to the reviewers: "Qantas continues to lead the world's airlines in safety with no fatalities in the jet era and that record is no accident.

"Over its 93 year history the airline has amassed an extraordinary record of firsts in safety and operations. In 2008 in its successful defence, to the British Advertising Standards Association, of its claim that it is the world's most experienced airline Qantas was able to list almost 30 notable industry leading achievements."

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1934 on: January 07, 2014, 11:22:09 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-news/antarctic-ice-drama-over-as-ships-freed/story-e6frfkui-1226797367263

Antarctic ice drama over as ships freed

January 08, 2014 1:36PM

A STRANDED Russian ship, and the Chinese vessel that came to its aid, have finally broken free of heavy ice in the Antarctic.

The Russian ship Akademik Shokalskiy became stranded in the Antarctic on Christmas Eve, forcing the evacuation last week dozens of passengers via the Xue Long, of China, which itself became stuck in heavy ice in the process.

But after a change in conditions, both vessels were able to break free of the ice on Tuesday night (AEDT) and no longer needed assistance, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said on Wednesday.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1935 on: January 09, 2014, 05:12:06 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/bali-driver-kadek-budi-says-noelene-and-yvana-bischoff-were-happy-and-not-ill/story-fnizu68q-1226797705911

Bali driver Kadek Budi says Noelene and Yvana Bischoff were 'happy' and not ill

January 09, 2014 12:00AM

NOELENE and Yvana Bischoff's last days in Bali were spent happy and carefree, riding an elephant, watching a traditional Balinese dance performance and visiting a Hindu temple.

Kadek Budi, the driver who spent seven hours showing them around on their last day alive, is now in shock and told News Corp Australia the pair was happy and excited and had not complained of any illness or shown any signs of being unwell.

He says when he dropped them at their hotel at about 3.50pm they were healthy. Nine hours later they were critically ill. Noelene passed away soon after 1am on Saturday and Yvana too was gone several hours later.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1936 on: January 09, 2014, 05:16:57 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/memorial-service-for-qld-mum-and-daughter/story-e6frfku9-1226797781977

Mystery Bali deaths haunt friends, family

January 09, 2014 8:01PM

SUNSHINE Coast mother and daughter Noelene and Yvana Bischoff played together and travelled together, but the mystery of how they died together in Bali lingers.

Karangasem police chief detective Adnan Pandibu said on Thursday forensic examinations have been completed and their bodies would be returned to Queensland on Friday.

"Tomorrow is the plan," Det Pandibu told AAP when asked when they would be returned.

He said while the laboratory tests had been issued to police, they would not be released immediately.

More than 400 mourners remembered them at a memorial service in Caloundra on Thursday, hearing that the two were inseparable from the start, when Noelene, a nurse, drove herself to hospital for Yvana's birth.

Yvana's words were heard at the service when a brief written assignment on her life was read by Noelene's cousin and principal of her Caloundra Christian College, Mark Hodges.

She talks about her love of animals and her passion to become a horse vet, but her relationship with her mother is what truly shaped her.

"My mum is my greatest hero, she made me who I am today," she wrote.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1937 on: January 09, 2014, 05:26:41 AM »

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/2014489/kylie-captures-spirit-of-australia-at-la-bash/?cs=36

Kylie captures Spirit of Australia at LA bash

By Daisy Dumas
Jan. 9, 2014, 7:54 p.m.

If there was an award for most anticipated A-lister at Wednesday night's Qantas Spirit of Australia party in Los Angeles, it would have gone to Kylie Minogue.

From actor Joel Edgerton to model Jessica Gomes to chef Neil Perry, red-carpet excitement among a cross-section of home-grown glitterati was squarely trained on the pint-sized singer.
See your ad here

On the eve of her flight to Australia to start filming The Voice, the seasoned pop star used hers as only she knows how. Do the Locomotion, Can't Get You out of My Head and an obligatory I Still Call Australia Home rang out to an intimate Beverly Hills crowd of Australians, honorary and otherwise, on a chilly LA winter evening.

Speaking about her work on The Voice, the 45-year-old, wearing Balmain, told Fairfax Media she was "crazy excited" and that it comes after a year of working hard behind the scenes.

"Life is really, really good right now - it's manic. I don't know up from down," she said

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1938 on: January 09, 2014, 05:30:10 AM »

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/wait-for-fate-of-states-gmo-status/story-fnj4f7k1-1226797942919

Primary Industries Minister Bryan Green announces State's GMO-free status will continue indefinitely

HELEN KEMPTON
    Mercury
    January 09, 2014 1:49PM

TASMANIA will maintain its nationally unique GMO-free status after Primary Industries Minister Bryan Green decided the State's growing international food brand needed to be safeguarded.

The decision to continue the moratorium on genetically modified organisms for food crops and animals comes after a review of the Act which allows it, which was due to expire in November,

The news has been celebrated by beef exporters who say the ban gave them a huge advantage in a global marketplace which is becoming more nervous about gene technology.

Greenham Tasmania senior executive Graeme Pretty said the beef industry relied on its clean image and buyers from the US -- where 97 per cent of the beef produced had been feeding on GM grain -- were looking for a grass-fed alternative.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1939 on: January 09, 2014, 05:33:08 AM »

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/antarctic-icon-stay-ready-to-chase-new-adventures/story-fnj4f7kx-1226794403481

Antarctic icon 'Stay' ready to chase new adventures

david killick
    Mercury
    January 03, 2014 3:21PM

ONE of the most intrepid characters of Australia's Antarctic program is safe and ready to add another adventure to two astonishing decades of Antarctic travel.

The battered fibreglass seeing-eye dog called Stay is famous as an icon and mascot of Australian expeditioners and is probably the most widely travelled Antarctic explorer of all time.

She was photographed patiently waiting on the sea ice beside a Chinese helicopter during yesterday's rescue operation.

Stay began life as a Guide Dog fundraiser, collecting coins on the streets of Hobart.

Purloined by a group of drunken expeditioners in Hobart in 1991 as part of an obscure protest against the removal of huskies from Australian stations, Stay has travelled the frozen continent and beyond ever since.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.