March 28, 2024, 02:46:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australia by Tibrogargan January 2007 - present and 155216+ views later!  (Read 657602 times)
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1960 on: March 13, 2014, 01:49:16 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/brett-cowan-guilty-of-murder-of-daniel-morcombe/story-fnii5v6w-1226853756450

Daniel’s father Bruce Morcombe reads a victim impact statement to the court.

“Ten years ago you made a choice that ripped our family apart,’’ he said.

He said he had been left with the unbearable images of what might have happened to his son.

“Why was he really dumped without clothes? Why was his belt loose and not still looped through his pants? It makes me nauseous for your total lack of respect for a child’s life.’’

“He was a great kid and would not hurt a fly, you have robbed him of 70 years of life,’’ he told Cowan.

He said the family could not sleep that first night Daniel went missing, feeling helpless.

“Nothing about my life today resembles how we enjoy our lives today … we are no longer the same people,’’ he said.

Mr Morcombe said the family had to sell its business, moved from their home and could not return to their regular employment.

“You picked on the wrong family, our collective determination to find Daniel and expose a child killer was always going to win,’’ he said.

“I often wonder about the other victims that you have left in your wake,’’ he said.

“I have sat watching you in the same court for close to 40 days. throughout that time you have been completely devoid of any remorse than what you did to Daniel.

“Sitting in the same room as you revolts me. How you sit there day after day almost frozen in the one position is chilling,’’ he said.

``Predators like you cannot be rehabilitated.’’

He called him a ``perverted, cold-blooded child-killing’’ paedophile.

The public gallery applauded as he returned to his seat.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1961 on: March 13, 2014, 01:51:56 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/brett-cowan-guilty-of-murder-of-daniel-morcombe/story-fnii5v6w-1226853756450

Crown prosecutor Michael Byrne reads out a victim impact statement from Denise Morcombe.

``For years I haven’t slept more than three hours at a time, I have lived and breathed each day to find the answers,’’ she said.

``I see my son lying by himself in that dark eerie bushland being devoured by wild animals… you Mr Cowan, have no respect for human life.’’

He said Daniel wanted to be a vet and was scared of the dark.

``Mr Cowan only you know Daniel’s last look in his eyes as you choked him to death but I can only imagine,’’ Mr Byrne said on her behalf.

She said Cowan’s actions had destroyed her family.

``We all know one person is not there and we will never recover from that,’’ she said.

``Mr Cowan I saw you smiling with your son… and wife… you had a smirk like nothing had happened, a happy family snap, meanwhile my family was living in hell searching for a son who was dead.’’

He said Ms Morcombe hoped Cowan had ``a lonely life’’.

``Your mistake was you picked on Daniel to release your animalistic perverted needs,’’ he said.

``That was your mistake you evil, evil unhuman thing.’’

He said Ms Morcombe would continue her work with the Daniel Morcombe Foundation.

``If there is a God and he knows the love a mother who has a love for her son you will pay for your actions, you will pay big,’’ he said.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1962 on: March 13, 2014, 01:54:35 AM »

Daniel’s older brother Dean Morcombe read a victim statement to the court.

``Daniel is my brother and you have robbed him of a life he would love to have lived,’’ he said.

``When Daniel didn’t come home on the seventh all those years ago, right from the start we knew this was out of character.’’

Dean said December 19, 2003 would have been Daniel’s 14th birthday.

He said Christmas a week later was ``nothing short of painful’’.

``Seeing the anger and pain impacting my parents, putting immeasurable pressure on their marriage and not knowing if he was alive… or dead and we should move on,’’ he said.

He said it was unbearable to walk to the place where Daniel’s body was left.

``Your complete lack of remorse for killing him is worse,’’ he said.

``I’m glad you have been exposed for the murdering sexual predator you are, Rest In Peace Daniel.’’

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1963 on: March 14, 2014, 12:19:03 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/daniel-morcombes-killer-brett-cowan-sentenced/story-e6frfku0-1226854771897

Daniel Morcombe’s killer Brett Cowan sentenced

March 14, 2014 2:07PM

THE serial pedophile found guilty of murdering Queensland schoolboy Daniel Morcombe has been sentenced to life in prison, with the judge saying he is “beyond rehabilitation”.

Brett Peter Cowan, 44, will likely spend the rest of his life behind bars.

In an emotional address, Justice Roslyn Atkinson set a minimum non-parole period of 20 years, but added he should never be released.

Cowan showed no emotion as sentence was passed.

Justice Atkinson said it was important to also make it clear the community denounced the conduct in which he was involved and to protect the Queensland community from him.

“For the offence of murder the only sentence available is life imprisonment and yours is a case where that sentence is certainly appropriate,’’ she said.

“For the reasons set out by the learned prosecutor in his addres I am able to set a parole eligibility date later than 15 years, which is the statutory minimum.’’

She said in view of his criminal history and ``enormity’’ of the crimes he had committed it was appropriate to set parole eligibility after 20 years served in jail.

“They should take into account that you are a plausible and opportunistic liar before they consider any view you might have about whether or not you have been rehabilitated,’’ she said.

A clearly emotional Justice Roslyn Atkinson addressed Cowan before passing sentence.

She said Cowan saw an opportunity on the day he took Daniel Morcombe.

“You were, in your own words an opportunistic offender, you were waiting for an opportunity,’’ she said.

She said Cowan offered the boy a lift, a plausible story and told him you were waiting for a friend.

“You didn’t look like a monster, you didn’t look like a paedophile you looked like an ordinary persona and you persuaded him that would be a safe thing for him to do,’’ she said.

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1964 on: March 14, 2014, 02:09:30 PM »

So glad the trial is over. It must have been torture for the family to listen to the testimony. Do you not have LWOP in Australia . I hate the thought of continued hearings for parole down the road.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1965 on: March 16, 2014, 11:19:54 PM »

So glad the trial is over. It must have been torture for the family to listen to the testimony. Do you not have LWOP in Australia . I hate the thought of continued hearings for parole down the road.

We do have LWOP here but mostly used for serial killers.  Length of maximum sentences allowed can vary state to state.  In some instances the sentencing judge will refuse to name a length of sentence before parole and thus the prisoner will remain in jail for term of his natural life.  I have no idea why this judge did not take that option as she must have known the monster's previous crimes even though they were withheld from the jury as is the usual practice.

There is talk in the media of his lodging an appeal but I cannot imagine the public outcry if this was allowed to proceed and it would be a brave Attorney General that did give his consent for an appeal.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1966 on: March 19, 2014, 08:59:28 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Daniel-Morcombe-Foundation-official-page/138433286169049?fref=ts

Daniel Morcombe Foundation (official page)

26 minutes ago
Compelling Evidence has proven beyond reasonable doubt Cowan's guilt. Thanks largely to the Covert Police involved and SES searchers plus scientific experts, a child killer has been exposed.
>
> On behalf of our entire family we thank everyone who has contributed to finding the answers and especially for never forgetting Daniel. Please support Daniel's legacy of Keeping Kids Safe through the initiatives of the Daniel Morcombe Foundation. Denise and Bruce x

God Bless Denise and Bruce and Daniel's brothers.  May they find peace and closure in the guilty verdict brought down today.  Bless also their wonderful work with keeping children aware of danger through the Foundation in Daniel's name. 

an angelic monkey

an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1967 on: March 19, 2014, 06:04:57 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/queensland-attorneygeneral-to-appeal-daniel-morcombes-killer-brett-cowans-nonparole-period/story-fnii5v6w-1226859740453

Queensland Attorney-General to appeal Daniel Morcombe’s killer Brett Cowan’s non-parole period

1 hour ago March 20, 2014 7:59AM

QUEENSLAND Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie will appeal the sentence given to Daniel Morcombe’s killer Brett Peter Cowan because it is not in line with community expectations. 

The sentence includes a 20-year non-parole period which Mr Bleijie said “must be appealed because it is manifestly inadequate, is not in line with community expectations and does not set an adequate deterrent”.

He has instructed the Director of Public Prosecutions to appeal.

Nothing better than some good news to start my day.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1968 on: March 24, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/queensland-attorneygeneral-to-appeal-daniel-morcombes-killer-brett-cowans-nonparole-period/story-fnii5v6w-1226859740453

Queensland Attorney-General to appeal Daniel Morcombe’s killer Brett Cowan’s non-parole period

1 hour ago March 20, 2014 7:59AM

QUEENSLAND Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie will appeal the sentence given to Daniel Morcombe’s killer Brett Peter Cowan because it is not in line with community expectations. 

The sentence includes a 20-year non-parole period which Mr Bleijie said “must be appealed because it is manifestly inadequate, is not in line with community expectations and does not set an adequate deterrent”.

He has instructed the Director of Public Prosecutions to appeal.

Nothing better than some good news to start my day.

I will continue to pray this appeal is granted.  I hope Cowan's life is nothing but misery from now until the day he dies!

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1969 on: July 14, 2014, 10:17:14 PM »

Already posted this in Allison's thread but well worth repeating here :

http://www.news.com.au/national/gerard-badenclay-found-guilty-for-murder-of-wife-allison-badenclay/story-e6frfkp9-1226988939206

Gerard Baden-Clay found guilty for murder of wife Allison Baden-Clay

30 minutes ago July 15, 2014 12:01PM

A JURY has found Gerard Baden-Clay guilty of murdering his wife Allison.

The former Brookfield real estate agent, 43, pleaded not guilty in the Supreme Court at Brisbane at the opening of his trial six weeks ago.

A jury of seven men and five women delivered its verdict shortly after 11.50am today after deliberating for 21 hours before reaching a decision.

Justice John Byrne asked the jury to retire to deliberate on Thursday at 11.10am.

Jurors lined up across one side of the court as they were asked by the judge’s associate: “Do you find the defendant Gerard Robert Baden-Clay guilty or not guilty of murder?’’

The family of Allison Baden-Clay, including her parents Geoff and Priscilla Dickie, who are seated in the packed public gallery of court 11, cheered as the jury replied: “Guilty”.

The accused was seated in the dock and stood to talk to his lawyer Peter Shields as the judge discharged the jury and thanked them for their service.

Justice Byrne told the jurors he was grateful for their service.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1970 on: July 17, 2014, 06:23:30 PM »

Great news!  Thanks for the update Tibro! 
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1971 on: November 27, 2014, 08:19:57 AM »

So sorry to learn of this young man's death.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/11/27/australian-batsman-hughes-dies-from-head-injury/20999799/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D571675

4 Donks
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1972 on: December 15, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »

Prayers for all  Australians. This terrorist attack is just unbelievable.

Attitude may not be everything but it counts.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1973 on: December 15, 2014, 05:41:06 PM »

Prayers for all  Australians. This terrorist attack is just unbelievable.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1974 on: August 30, 2016, 08:49:47 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/courts-law/gerard-badenclay-guilty-of-murder-of-wife-allison/news-story/ddc06f6f69bca0cb059ea50ecc25cd26

Gerard Baden-Clay guilty of murder of wife Allison

GERARD Baden-Clay murdered his wife Allison, Australia’s highest court has ruled.

In the final ruling on one of Queensland’s longest running court sagas on Wednesday morning, the High Court of Australia reinstated Baden-Clay’s murder conviction.

The decision overrules a controversial decision made by the Queensland Court of Appeal last year that set aside the father-of-three’s murder conviction and substituted it with manslaughter.

He has no further avenues of appeal.

The one-time real estate agent will now continue to serve his life sentence.

He will not be eligible for parole until 2027.

Outside court, Allison Baden-Clay’s jubilant and tearful best friend, Kerry Anne Walker, said today “was a good day for the good guys”.

“Gerard Baden-Clay murdered his amazing wife Allison,” Ms Walker said outside court.

“The evidence in his original trial displayed his intent as well as his character.

“Today’s decision brings to an end Gerard’s attempts to smear Allison’s name.

“If some are in doubt as to his true nature, his behaviour after Allison’s disappearance and during the trial must have removed this doubt.

“Four and a half years ago, three beautiful girls went to bed with a mother and the next morning they woke without one.

“He let them and the whole community worry and anguish for days about what had happened.”

Allison Baden-Clay’s family is yet to comment.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.