April 19, 2024, 12:52:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McStay Family of 4 missing in So California-Missing since 2/04/10  (Read 132647 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=12251603

Multiple sightings of missing family in Mexico
Posted: Apr 03, 2010 8:31 AM PDT Updated: Apr 03, 2010 8:31 AM PDT

SAN DIEGO, Calif (CBS Cool - A family friend of the Mcstay's has told News 8 that the family has been sighted several times in a small village in Mexico, providing some hope.

The FBI was briefed today on this baffling case, and will now use their resources south of the border to re-energize the search.

Like I said before, my personal opinion is that this family disappeared themselves.  There's a reason why Summer has had multiple alias's 

I agree with you.  I think the family disappeared themselves.  I have seen this noted a couple of times in articles:
Edit to add link: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/apr/01/fbi-join-search-missing-family/
<snip> Neither of the McStays is fluent in Spanish, according to relatives. And only Joseph McStay has a valid passport; his wife’s is expired. Their youngest son’s birth certificate, required for re-entry to the United States by minors under 16, is with a grandmother.<snip>

The family seems to use the above as some sort of reason or proof they didn't disappear themselves across the border.  It doesn't matter if the youngest son has birth certificate or not.  Either a new certified copy could have been obtained OR the entire family is using false identification which can be obtained with the right connections and money imo.  And maybe the family went across the border without any intention of returning to the U.S., so the fact they didn't have the youngest son's birth certificate for re-entry to the U.S. would be a moot point.  Besides, a birth certifcate can even be made.   BTW, where is Joeseph McStay's passport?  Anyone find it anywhere?  Has it been used?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 02:05:27 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »

Here's one man's theory on what happened to the McStay family.  Have to say, it makes just as much sense (if not more) than anything else I've read so far... IMO

------------------

Published: April 03, 2010

Op-Ed Contributor

The McStay's 'Simple Plan'- Mired in a Metamorphosis of Mystery!

By John Kays

http://newsblaze.com/story/20100403100625kays.nb/topstory.html

I had my doubts before about the surveillance video of the McStays approaching the turnstile to cross over into Tijuana, Mexico. But now I have developed my own photo of the family in silhouette, and am more convinced than ever that this is indeed the McStays. The figure of Summer with her long black hair is the most recognizable.

The investigation into the February 4th disappearance of the McStay family is morphing in the direction of a flight into Mexico, and probably deliberately. This only muddies the waters all the more. My theory is that with their fleeing into Mexico by choice, they must have been trying to avoid someone. They left behind a beautiful brand new home and a very happy existence. Or so it would appear on the surface?

I am going to back up here and spell out a handful of new facts that cast this case in a different light. The best reporting is coming from the Union-Tribune in San Diego and specifically from staff writer Leslie Berestein. Leslie seems to have the inside scoop with the McStay family and with the San Diego Sheriff's Department, who is oh so selective in what clues they'll disclose to the public.

A primary new clue is that the McStay's were researching passport requirements for traveling to Mexico with children. These inquiries were found on their computer and were made on Jan. 27 and Jan. 28; they visited the site About.com. However, it doesn't look as if they followed through with obtaining the proper legal documents.

Joseph was the only one who had a valid passport. Summer's had expired and the youngest son's birth certificate, required for reentry into the United States, was left with a grandmother. Therefore, I believe that a sudden unexpected event or development (a third party intervention) hastened their plans to depart Fallbrook on February 4th. (Union-Tribune-FBI joins search for McStays by Leslie Berestein-Friday, April 2, 2010)

A new fact that I find significant is that a neighbor's security camera shows a vehicle backing out of the McStay's driveway at exactly 7:47 P.M. on Feb. 4th. Why were the family of four leaving so late on their trip? Some event, perhaps a phone call, must have triggered an impetus to move up the clock of departure?

Why leave so late for Mexico? This makes no sense. And remember, it would be four more days until their car was towed from a strip mall parking lot in San Ysidro. Where were they during this time and what were they doing for those four days?

The last phone call made was by Joseph McStay, on his cell phone at 8:37 PM to his business partner. The call was for only one minute and was made one hour after their departure for an unknown destination. After this time the cell phones go dead. Also, bank activity completely drops off the earth.

Could they have been living on cash alone? They would have to. A sizeable withdrawal of cold cash is required to make this fit. Yet the police haven't mentioned any cash withdrawal such as this? This is the key to a fundamental hypothesis of mine that I will postulate for you shortly.

What I find most odd is why hasn't the business partner come out with a statement to the press? This partner of Joseph in his home fountain business has not even given his name. Is he hiding something? What did he discuss with Joseph in this last one minute phone conversation? If he has nothing to hide, why not just come out with a statement to the press? Perhaps he has a piece of information that could unravel this unsolved mystery?

Tim Miller of Texas Equusearch was a guest on Jane-Velez Mitchell on Wednesday, March 31st. When Tim looked over the McStay house, he observed that it appeared that many clothes were missing. This implies that the family packed these belongings with the idea of leaving on a planned trip. Maybe a trip of some length, I might add. There were only high heels for Summer, and where were Joseph's shoes and shirts? Packed in luggage, I would think.

And what about the notion that they staged their disappearance? What's for sure, is that they left in haste! Food was left out. And Summer forgot her prescription sunglasses! The dogs were left without food and water (most puzzling). Trays of paint and rollers were abandoned, as if some event altered Summer's flow of work, her painting of the kitchen, a dramatic gear shift. A statement of Summer's friend for ten years, Jesi Silveria, reinforces my theory of a rapid change in plans.

"I was one of the last people speaking to her and for three days straight it was all about moving in and setting in. There was no mention about hesitancy or challenges she was having. If she had any stress or strain or worry you could have heard it in her voice. It just doesn't make sense to anyone who personally knows them."

A life altering development occurred on February 4th. This event was reinforced by previous happenings, however. This is cause and effect here. Think of when you shoot a pool ball with a cue stick. The ball hits other balls and they move to a new location on the pool table. In turn, this affects the player's strategy on his next shot. The 'McStay Plan' was a work in progress. It shifted with the sifting sands of fate.

Testimony from Susan Blake, Joseph's mother, adds to my belief that something BIG went down on February 4th. Susan Blake felt as if something was out of place when she spoke to her son on that day. "Joe told me he wasn't feeling good that day. His equilibrium wasn't right and I felt something was wrong." I think that Joe knew it was time to get away. Not doing so would be a more negative decision for his family.

I'm going to lay out my theory, so don't scoff at me for idle speculation. I'm sure that the FBI is doing that very thing even as I type these words. But here goes nothing. A favorite movie of mine, 1998's A Simple Plan, directed by Sam Raimi, is my model for what happened to the McStays. In the film Hank Mitchell, his brother Jacob, and a friend Lou stumble upon a downed airplane. They find a dead man inside the crash and $4.4 million dollars in cash, stashed in cargo bags.

The brothers and the friend devise a 'simple plan' to lay low and to keep the money as a sort of retirement account for their old age. This is where the irony comes in, this is anything but a 'simple plan' as a rapid sequence of events put a tire iron in the spokes of a well-oiled scheme. In this parallel the McStays must have discovered some money that they weren't intended to have. I think it was a sum of more than a million dollars. This cash may have been hidden in one of the fountains that Joseph purchased from Mexico. Narco-traffickers may have been attempting to launder vast amounts of drug money by way of these fountain craftsmen on the other side of the border. The McStays were not supposed to be aware of this scheme.

As such their men on the American side would retrieve this money and smuggle it away to another safehouse. But Joseph accidentally discovered this money when he was working on one of these fountains. The amount was so great, that he decided to keep it after discussing the situation with Summer. In the film Bill Paxton does something similar with Bridgett Fonda. The money pushes their button. This is where a 'simple plan' comes into play.

And so this would explain why the bank accounts suddenly went dead. The McStays would operate strictly on a cash-only-basis, going forward. They figured that could hide out in Mexico undetected, maybe in some simple village up in the mountains, away from civilization. And their cash would stretch out as far as the eye can see.

Fitting in with my theory, the McStays had to hide out in the states from the 4th to the 8th. They didn't want to cross over into Mexico too rapidly, lest the traffickers might surprise them at the crossing. Why leave the white Isuzu Trooper in San Ysidro? Because the Bad Men knew of the vehicle from the news, so they had to get rid of it. And what about the last call to the business partner?

This is why I think he knew. He may have tipped off the McStays that 'they' were looking for them. This would also explain why he won't give his name or provide the media with a statement of some kind. Also, I believe the police know of his involvement and are providing him with a makeshift 'witness protection program.' This would also explain why it took so long to report the disappearance to the authorities. Enough time was allowed for the McStays to hide away in the remotest regions of Mexico.

And then you might wonder why the McStays didn't just return the money to these traffickers? The reason why is this wasn't even an option! Even if they did return the money, they would still be killed to silence them. This is how these ruthless criminals operate, in say, Ciudad Juarez. The McStays had no choice but to flee with the money in tow. They had but one choice-a permanent departure from their once beautiful life.

My theory of what might have happened to the McStays is the only one that fits all the known facts we that we have at our disposal. Today Michael McStay is distributing fliers down on the border. He intends to go to Mexico very soon, and has already gotten his passport. And now the FBI is taking a stake in this case.

This is further support for my theory. I don't believe they would get involved if they didn't believe their case had taken on wider parameters. As such maybe it's more international in scope, involving U.S. citizens and narco-traffickers, who operate without impunity on both sides of the borders.

You may think I'm spinning cotton candy here, but how can one juxtapose these disjointed facts into a cogent theorem that fits for their sudden disappearance? My theory works. And don't you look upon me as if I'm lingering on the Dark Side (I don't live in a Gingerbread House)!

I do believe that they are still alive! I'm an optimist. Two possible sightings have already been reported. The case may break tomorrow or it may remain unsolved. Words of Lt. Dennis Brugos best characterizes the McStay case: "I've never seen anything like this in over 35 years of experience in the business."

http://newsblaze.com/story/20100403100625kays.nb/topstory.html

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2010, 09:30:46 PM »

would Summer McStay and her husband be charged with child endangerment if they are all found alive?

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2010, 05:37:03 PM »

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/apr/03/mcstay-family-relatives-hand-out-fliers/
McStay family relatives hand out fliers

By Michele Clock, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
Saturday, April 3, 2010 at 7:18 p.m.
SAN YSIDRO — Family and friends of a missing Fallbrook family fanned out Saturday near the area where the family’s sports utility vehicle was abandoned nearly two months ago in hopes of gathering any possible leads.

Armed with colorful, photo-filled fliers, Mike McStay, the brother of missing businessman Joseph McStay, said somebody had to have noticed something. The family of four hasn’t been seen since Feb. 4. Four days later their car turned up in a San Ysidro parking lot near the border.

“Did somebody, with all these people around, see something from here to the border?” said Mike McStay, 37, standing in the same shopping center parking lot where the family’s white 1996 Isuzu Trooper turned up.

A grainy video showed two adults and two young children approaching the San Ysidro border crossing on Feb. 8, though authorities haven’t been able to determine for sure whether it is the missing family
McStay and more than a dozen family friends yesterday passed out more than 4,000 fliers with photos and descriptions of Joseph McStay, 40, his wife, Summer, 43, and two children, Gianni, 4, and Joseph, 3.

McStay and family friend Don McCutcheon, of Mission Viejo, said several leads pointing to sightings of the family in Mexico were passed along to authorities this week. The tips leads have placed the family across Mexico, from the Yucatan area on the Gulf of Mexico to the Jalisco area on the Pacific Coast.

Asked if he thinks the family is still alive and in Mexico, McStay said, “I’m leaning that way.”

Standing near stacks of fliers, McCutcheon insisted the family just had no reason to leave their lives.

“Nice house, cars paid off, business doing good and you leave?” McCutcheon said. “Doesn’t make sense...We believe they did not go on their own accord.”

San Diego Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Jan Caldwell confirmed Friday that the FBI had been briefed on the case, joining an effort headed by sheriff’s investigators.

“The FBI has sources south of the border, and that is what we would like to tap into,” she said.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2010, 06:20:27 PM »

honestly why mexico, does anyone know if Summer or Joseph Mcstay had a lot of gold jewelry? If so, maybe they cashed it somewhere, just wondering.

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2010, 11:09:11 PM »

Good questions, piwannaberookie!   Sorry I don't know the answers, hopefully someone may. 

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2010, 12:15:28 AM »

honestly why mexico, does anyone know if Summer or Joseph Mcstay had a lot of gold jewelry? If so, maybe they cashed it somewhere, just wondering.

Mexico is the closest place for them to go.  Also, I believe it's very possible that the husbands business was getting supplied through Mexico.  The husband had a indoor fountain business and my bet is the fountains were being made in Mexico.
piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2010, 12:42:34 AM »

Wyks, that was a very interesting article you posted that is by John Kays. There are a lot of similarities between the movie "A Simple Plan" and the McStay's disappearance.  I never saw the movie "A Simple Plan", however, drugs in a fountain to be smuggled to the border to America, that is scary! If Joseph Mcstay found money in a fountain he bought from Mexico and was working on it, how would he expect someone would be watching him and his family, I wonder if they had his address and phone number. I wonder if they called him or sent him threatening messages. I wonder if Mexico has a phone book and their fountain business is located in the phone book as fountain craftsmen etc.  Or maybe they are high tech individuals who are sending threatening emails to Joseph and/or Summer. The FBI needs to arrest them, they, the culprits,  may have the answers!!! Or maybe the money was not american currency or mexican currency, it could be some foreigner who visited mexico, and the drug dealers gang bangers murdered him/her and took all their money/jewelery and stuffed it in the fountain, just adding on to the unthinkable crime ...

piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2010, 12:48:59 AM »

Mexico is the closest place for them to go.  Also, I believe it's very possible that the husbands business was getting supplied through Mexico.  The husband had a indoor fountain business and my bet is the fountains were being made in Mexico.
'

I don't want to buy anything from Mexico like on ebay like textbooks, or anythin that money can be hidden in. I wonder how many other people have had this situation. All shipping/sales from mexico to the u.s. and vice versa should be monitored...? or maybe cost extra? banning that would make the problem worse. I know that a lof good money is being made from exports and imports between usa and mexico, but i dont know for sure because i havent studied this.

piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »

or maybe joseph mcstay planned to buy that fountain and have all the money with it, in return for something else, aybe that something else was to go to mexico and pay back for all the money he found, maybe he told to go to mexico and do something with that money, maybe help someone with a business, maybe this was a contract.

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »

Wyks, that was a very interesting article you posted that is by John Kays. There are a lot of similarities between the movie "A Simple Plan" and the McStay's disappearance.  I never saw the movie "A Simple Plan", however, drugs in a fountain to be smuggled to the border to America, that is scary! If Joseph Mcstay found money in a fountain he bought from Mexico and was working on it, how would he expect someone would be watching him and his family, I wonder if they had his address and phone number. I wonder if they called him or sent him threatening messages. I wonder if Mexico has a phone book and their fountain business is located in the phone book as fountain craftsmen etc.  Or maybe they are high tech individuals who are sending threatening emails to Joseph and/or Summer. The FBI needs to arrest them, they, the culprits,  may have the answers!!! Or maybe the money was not american currency or mexican currency, it could be some foreigner who visited mexico, and the drug dealers gang bangers murdered him/her and took all their money/jewelery and stuffed it in the fountain, just adding on to the unthinkable crime ...

Agreed, it's an interesting theory he has!  Makes as much sense as any other that I've read so far. 

It was reported in one of the news articles that the McStay's have some type of property in Belize.  And one of the supposed sightings of Joey and the boys was in the area just next to Belize.  So it *could be* that's where they headed to. 

You've been doing a lot of thinking and brainstorming on this case!  I sure wish there was a way we could have our questions answered, either by LE/media/family/friends.  But unfortunately it seems that any info coming from any of these have come to a screeching halt.  Total silence as of lately. 

Over at the InSessions forum, a few supposed friends of the family have come in and answered questions etc, and yet... seem to have created even more questions than they answered.   So I guess we wait.. and wait.. and see if there's any word from Joey and Summer. 

Hard to know what to believe and think in the meantime. 

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2010, 02:45:38 PM »

The DOJ (dept of justice) now has Joseph/Summer each listed as "Voluntary Missing Adult", and both children listed as "Unknown Circumstances".    Also has them 'last seen' on February 1st, not the 4th.   Hmmmm...   

You can see this at the following link, just enter the first and last name:
http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/default.asp

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2010, 09:49:09 PM »

Two possible sightings of the McStay family

posted 2 hours ago

http://www.sanclementetimes.com/view/full_story/7004236/article-Two-possible-sightings-of-the-McStay-family?instance=eye_on_sc

Possible sightings of the McStay family in Mérida and Barra Navidad, Mexico, have been reported, according to the McStay family Web site.

Joseph McStay, his wife Summer and two children went missing abruptly on Feb. 4. Since then, no traces of phone calls have been found or evidence of foul play. Four days later on Feb. 8, the family’s Izuzu Trooper was found in San Ysidro, next to the Mexican border. After authorities scanned the computer of the family, the history of their internet browser showed that someone was seeking to find a way into Mexico without visas. Since their disappearance, the FBI, aerial drones and a large distribution of fliers have all aided in the search.

Michael McStay, Joseph’s brother, also maintains there is promising evidence of the family’s whereabouts. “Two sightings occurred in Merida and Barra Navidad,” he said. “Joey owns property in Merida and he wouldn’t take off without telling us.”

Last week, Michael McStay was handing out fliers on the border in hopes of finding someone who might have seen the family. “While I was on the border a Mexican police officer from Tijuana walked up to me,” he said. “I grabbed the person closest to me to interpret what the officer was saying. According to the translator this is the first time the officer heard of the investigation.”

Michael McStay is also convinced that authorities have not done their best to find the family. “One of my questions was that if someone did a search on the PC, did they look for a specific destination,” he said. “The detective simply said ‘no’ and I’m not convinced. Truthfully I should be able to know this information.”

Michael McStay will travel with the FBI to Mexico this week.

Visit www.mcstayfamily.org for more information.

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2010, 10:52:20 PM »

I should say that two 'new' pieces of info have come to us recently. 

One, that the McStay's are now listed as "voluntary missing adults" by the DOJ, which is different than what they originally had them listed as, 'missing'. 

And second, that along with the property in Belize that Joseph owns, which LE discovered, they have also discovered that Joseph owns property in Merida, Mexico. 

Seems that either Joseph's family/friends didn't know about either of these before, or they weren't being honest with the media.  Cuz what they've repeatedly said is that the McStay's would "never" go to Mexico and especially not without telling someone. 

I dunno what to think about any of this anymore...   

piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2010, 06:35:34 PM »

doesn't sound good... but if they voluntarily went back to merida, mexico or belize, i hope that they are found there, and haven't bought more property somewhere else and living in another area. buying land or real estate dont know about in buying in foreign countries, but in America it can be profitable, or so i've heard, maybe this was what was going on. maybe they were tired of the U.S. economy.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2010, 06:40:48 PM »

doesn't sound good... but if they voluntarily went back to merida, mexico or belize, i hope that they are found there, and haven't bought more property somewhere else and living in another area. buying land or real estate dont know about in buying in foreign countries, but in America it can be profitable, or so i've heard, maybe this was what was going on. maybe they were tired of the U.S. economy.

Actually I think it DOES sound good, good at least that they are likely alive and well and have disappeared themselves.  Too bad that people are wasting resources and time looking for them if that is the case.   
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2010, 07:26:17 PM »

It seems that news of this case has reached Ireland.  Their Sunday Tribune has an interesting article, which includes mention of 'message boards and conspiracy theories'.   

Why would this family disappear?
The vanishing without trace of an apparently happy Californian family has baffled police and spawned many conspiracy theories, writes Dave Hannigan 

http://www.tribune.ie/magazine/article/2010/mar/28/why-would-this-family-disappear/

piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2010, 07:39:54 PM »

you are right about that klaasend, that is all the time and resources being wasted. The part that is not so good for the kids is that their parents could go to jail if they were trying to avoid paying their taxes, unless that was not their plan. The charges that could I think could at least be filed against them are real slim and could start with animal abandonment, but I guess it's too early to tell now, just my opinion.

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »

Seems this case has come to a screeching halt.  Sad. 

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2010, 05:08:30 PM »

http://www.mcstayfamily.com/new

Two Gutwrenching Weeks – Nothing

By admin on April 16, 2010

April 2nd was the day the FBI was briefed on our case and we met with them on Monday April 5th the day after Easter, and still we are waiting. That’s the hardest part, the waiting.

SC Times puts out an article a week or so ago, 4 errors and inaccuracies. I got tons of emails for clarifications and it simply adds to the frustration. I have been receiving lots of emails for updates, and there just aren’t any. No sightings, no videotapes, no nothing.

The detectives are still on the case north of the border, as the FBI is handling south of the border. I will go to Mexico myself if we get a credible lead, but at this time, there is nothing to compel me other than these beautiful faces on the website. For them, I would do anything.

I am shocked that two weeks went by like a blink of the eye. We all miss Joey, Summer and the boys terribly. I just miss my every Friday talks as Joey drives to Aliso Viejo for soccer. We talked about everything and nothing, but it was always good just to talk with my bro and hear his voice. Gianni’s birthday is coming up in a few months, and he’s turning the big – 5.

I know that this article isn’t much, but hopefully we will get some news that will help us all breath easier. Thanks everyone for caring.

Again, IMO the McStay family has disappeared themselves.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.