March 29, 2024, 05:41:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chelsea King, 17, Missing 2-25-2010 Rancho Bernadino CA (BODY FOUND)  (Read 509569 times)
Live*Learn*Love
Scared Monkey

« Reply #340 on: March 01, 2010, 04:03:39 AM »

http://www.necn.com/02/28/10/Gardner-arrested-in-Chelsea-Kings-disapp/landing.html?blockID=188563&feedID=4215

This is a comment posted on the above link.
"Mt Woodson
I saw a guy who looks just like Garner hiking down Mt Woodson while I was hiking up today Sunday at 2:00PM. I am a Rock Climber. He was waring Brown Fatigue style pants. Maybe the search for Chelsea should extend to Mt Woodson."

Someone wrote on this facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=chelsea+king&init=quick#!/group.php?v=wall&ref=search&gid=332906438909
"I am in RB too. This mans parents lived in the street over from mine
& they were over at that house searching & taking pictures
tonight but told every one outside (I wasn't out there but a friend
was) that Chelsea was not there & they were just taking pictures
for evidence. His charges ar...e rape & 1st degree murder. They found
her underwear with his DNA on them & when they arrested him, he was
caked in mud, up to his knees."
mizjay
Monkey Junky

« Reply #341 on: March 01, 2010, 04:07:00 AM »

Miz, I can't get over how we are hearing names, addresses, and sometimes phone numbers on this scanner. 
Yeah, everything you say to the dispatch plus your phone no. is relayed directly over the radio.
Hey, I was looking at a site  PE.com and oct.27 article about inland empire abductions, there's a composite and description that really comes close to John Gardner, wonder if he's a serial rapist ( I am totally inept at linking things)

10/26/09 Police Urge Caution after Recent Abductions  Full story , the press enterprise (PE.com)  google search, Lake Elsinore abductions

Gotta go to bed, goodnight , prayers for Chelsea's family
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #342 on: March 01, 2010, 04:52:49 AM »

My heart breaks for this family.

How can anyone say he ate at the restaurant and everything was normal when he was covered in mud up to his knees?

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #343 on: March 01, 2010, 06:04:20 AM »

http://www.khabrein.info/news/Missing_Poway_girl__Arrest_made_in_missing_Chelsea_King_1267440776/
Missing Poway girl: Arrest made in missing Chelsea King
1 March, 2010

SAN DIEGO: Missing Poway girl: Arrest made in missing Chelsea King. The hunt for a pedophile has yielded positive results. With the help of some 1,400 volunteers, sleuths were able to arrest a registered sex offender for his involvement in the disappearance of a teenager in a suburban San Diego.

The whole weekend was spent to zero in on the man, who is being accused of abducting a girl.

After coming to know about the disappearance of 17-year-old Chelsea King, sleuths combed the area, including Rancho Bernardo Community Park in San Diego. The investigators quizzed locals and suspects to unravel the mystery. And at last they succeeded when with the help of some locals they were unable to lay their hands on evidence to pin down 30-year-old John Albert Gardner.

It has been learnt that the suspect lives in Riverside County. This has been confirmed by San Diego County Sheriff William Gore.

Currently, Gardner is being held by the cops who are questioning him. Efforts are being made to find out what prompted him to abduct the teenager.

Addressing reporters at a press conference, Gore said: "This investigation is ongoing and specific criminal charges are still being determined."

Besides, investigators also believe that Gardner might be involved in a December 27 assault. It was revealed that on this fateful day a female jogger was assaulted. Cops are investigating into the case

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #344 on: March 01, 2010, 06:07:51 AM »

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/62049
Registered Sex Offender Arrested in Disappearance of San Diego County Teenager
Monday, March 01, 2010
By Elliot Spagat, Associated Press

San Diego (AP) - A registered sex offender was arrested Sunday in the disappearance of a suburban San Diego teenager as some 1,400 volunteers spent the weekend searching a park and surrounding area where she disappeared three days ago, authorities said.

The arrest came after about 120 law enforcement officers and the volunteers had searched Rancho Bernardo Community Park in San Diego for 17-year-old Chelsea King.

Investigators found evidence that led to the arrest of 30-year-old John Albert Gardner of Riverside County, San Diego County Sheriff William Gore told the Associated Press in an interview.

Gore said investigators, who combed the area around Lake Hodges in the park where King's car was found, discovered physical evidence linking Gardner to the case. Gore would not elaborate on the nature of the evidence. He said authorities were holding out hope for her return.
 Gardner was taken into custody at a restaurant in Escondido shortly after 4 p.m. Sunday and was questioned Sunday night.

"This investigation is ongoing and specific criminal charges are still being determined," Gore said at a news conference Sunday.

Investigators also suspect Gardner could be tied to a Dec. 27 assault on a female jogger from Colorado Springs, Colo. in the park, a popular regional recreation area full of running trails, Gore said.

Gardner's residence in Lake Elsinore 75 miles north of San Diego was searched Sunday, Gore said.

He had to register as a sex offender because of a conviction for lewd or lascivious acts with a child under 14, the Megan's Law Web site said.

It was not immediately clear whether Gardner has hired an attorney.

King's parents continued pleas for her return and said the arrest offered them no relief.

"Nothing will change for us until our beautiful daughter, Chelsea King, comes home," Brent and Kelly King said in a statment released through a family spokeswoman Sunday night. "We will continue searching for her, and we ask that all of you do the same until she's back with us."

Gore said the search for King and for further evidence would continue throughout the night and expand beyond the park.

"There are several searches going on around the county," Gore said. "We are going to refocus some of our search efforts."

The volunteers also handed out flyers during the weekend effort.

"It's a reflection of who she is and what kind of person she is," Brent King said of the numbers showing up to help. "She's that kind of kid that everybody loves, and it shows."

Chelsea King's BMW was found in the park after she failed to return to her home in suburban Poway, Calif. on Thursday, sheriff's spokeswoman Jan Caldwell said.

Investigators also looked for clues on the teen's cell phone, which was found in her car, and on her home computer.

The search for Chelsea King, a straight-A senior at Poway High School, also took to the Internet, where a Facebook page generated more than 24,000 fans. A Web site was created at findchelsea.com.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #345 on: March 01, 2010, 07:10:40 AM »

http://kdka.com/national/Chelsea.King.missing.2.1527723.html
 Mar 1, 2010 6:54 am US/Eastern
Sex Offender Held After Calif. Teen Disappears
Authorities and volunteers are widening a search for a 17-year-old missing in San Diego County after a registered sex offender was arrested in connection with her disappearance.

Some 1,400 volunteer searchers and more than 100 law enforcement officers failed to find Chelsea King on Sunday, but evidence was found that led to the arrest of 30-year-old John Albert Gardner of Lake Elsinore, Calif. some 75 miles to the north, San Diego County Sheriff William Gore told the Associated Press in an interview.

King disappeared on Thursday after going for a run near Lake Hodges at Rancho Bernardo Community Park in San Diego, a popular regional park full of running trails. Her car, with her cell phone and iPod inside, were found later that night.
Gore said investigators discovered physical evidence linking Gardner to the case. Gore would not elaborate on the nature of the evidence. He said they were holding out hope that she would be found.

Gardner was taken into custody at a restaurant in Escondido shortly after 4 p.m. Sunday and was being questioned Sunday night.

"This investigation is ongoing and specific criminal charges are still being determined," Gore said at a news conference.

Investigators also suspect Gardner could be tied to a Dec. 27 assault on a female jogger from Colorado Springs, Gore said.

Gardner's Riverside County residence was also searched Sunday, Gore said.

He was required to register as a sex offender because of a conviction for lewd or lascivious acts with a child under 14, the Megan's Law Web site said.

King's parents continued pleas for her return and said the arrest offered them no relief.

"Nothing will change for us until our beautiful daughter, Chelsea King, comes home," Brent and Kelly King said in a statment released through a family spokeswoman Sunday night. "We will continue searching for her, and we ask that all of you do the same until she's back with us."
Gore said the search for King and for further evidence would continue throught the night and expand beyond the park.

"There are several searches going on around the county," Gore said. "We are going to refocus some of our search efforts."

Chelsea King's BMW was found in the park after she failed to return to her home in suburban Poway, Calif. on Thursday, sheriff's spokeswoman Jan Caldwell said.

The search for the straight-A senior at Poway High School also took to the Internet, where a Facebook page generated more than 24,000 fans. A Web site was created at findchelsea.com.

~ Peter Frampton
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #346 on: March 01, 2010, 09:20:28 AM »

Thank-you for all the updates, thank God this monster has been arrested. Now where is little Chelsea at?  an angelic monkey
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #347 on: March 01, 2010, 09:30:33 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587634,00.html
Arrest Made in Case of Missing California Girl

Monday, March 01, 2010

SAN DIEGO —  A registered sex offender was arrested Sunday in the disappearance of a suburban San Diego teenager as some 1,400 volunteers spent the weekend searching a park and surrounding area where she disappeared three days ago, authorities said.

The arrest came after about 120 law enforcement officers and the volunteers had searched Rancho Bernardo Community Park in San Diego for 17-year-old Chelsea King.

Investigators found evidence that led to the arrest of 30-year-old John Albert Gardner of Riverside County, San Diego County Sheriff William Gore told the Associated Press in an interview.

Gore said investigators, who combed the area around Lake Hodges in the park where King's car was found, discovered physical evidence linking Gardner to the case. Gore would not elaborate on the nature of the evidence.

Gardner was taken into custody outside a business in Escondido shortly after 4 p.m. Sunday and was questioned Sunday night.
This investigation is ongoing and specific criminal charges are still being determined," Gore said at a news conference Sunday.

Investigators also suspect Gardner could be tied to a Dec. 27 assault on a female jogger from Colorado Springs, Colo. in the park, a popular regional recreation area full of running trails, Gore said.

Gardner is from Lake Elsinore some 75 miles north of San Diego, according to the Megan's Law Web site. He had to register as a sex offender because of a conviction for lewd or lascivious acts with a child under 14, the site said.

Gore said the search for King and for further evidence would continue throught the night and expand beyond the park.

The volunteers also handed out flyers during the weekend effort.

"It's a reflection of who she is and what kind of person she is," Brent King said of the numbers showing up to help. "She's that kind of kid that everybody loves, and it shows."

Investigators also looked for clues on the teen's cell phone, which was found in her car, and on her home computer.

The search for Chelsea King, a straight-A senior at Poway High School, also took to the Internet, where a Facebook page generated more than 24,000 fans. A Web site was created at findchelsea.com.

~ Peter Frampton
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #348 on: March 01, 2010, 09:33:47 AM »

dggrmr I know this man he has watched my child, he was a good step father I lived in his apartment complex and he definitely wasn't linked to Amber Dubois. At least from what I know, he worked, he had a steady relationship and my sons godmother lived as a live in nanny with his fiance and saw him daily and nightly. 11:26 PM, 2.28.10

Source: Suspect Arrested in Case of Missing Teen Chelsea King | NBC San Diego
 Interesting comment from one of the articles 
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #349 on: March 01, 2010, 09:36:41 AM »

Ok, I finally found it in print in a news source so I feel like it can be posted here definitively:

"Investigators were searching a home on Matinal Road near West Bernardo Drive late Sunday night, according to KGTV Channel 10. Public records link an address on that street to Gardner."

Sign on San Diego/Union-Tribune

The home is near Westwood Elementary, on a canyon area that connects through the canyon right over to Poblado RIGHT at the access point where all of the activity has been.

Meaning he can cut behind the home, on the trail from the school to Poblado between Moon Song and Smokesignal, just cross the street, and continue on the trail directly to the waterfall area I was showing in my photos earlier. Also, that access point on Poblado is where all the LEO and searchers were staging earlier. Plus, that's where the first attack happened.

In addition, he'd just have to go around the corner, make two quick turns, and could be right at the access point if he went by car.

I won't give the house address, but if you google map Westwood Elementary, 92127 and look at the canyon area arcoss the street you'll see what I mean.
(from a local at WS, so it appears he could have gone to that area without anyone really seeing him)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #350 on: March 01, 2010, 09:45:16 AM »

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Chelsea-King-missing-Poway-Rancho-Bernardo-jogging/zTLAKar0XUGyf78trbfHvg.cspx

Arrest Made in Chelsea King Disappearance; Suspect Charged with Murder & Rape
   Reported by: San Diego 6 News Team

Last Update: 2/28 11:35 pm

SAN DIEGO -  A suspect was arrested Sunday on preliminary charges of suspicion of murder and rape in the disappearance of Poway teen Chelsea King.

The suspect, identified as registered sex offender John Albert Gardner, was arrested at a landmark restaurant and bar on the west side of Lake Hodges, Hernedez Hideaway (map C), on Lake Drive near Del Dios Highway at 4:30 p.m. according to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

The 30-year-old resident of Lake Elsinore in Riverside County is described as being 6'2" and 230 pounds.  He has a previous conviction for lewd or lascivious acts with a child under 14 years of age.

His mother lives in the Westwood development of San Diego near Rancho Bernardo Community Park and Lake Hodges.  It's believed he had been staying there for several days.

San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore announced the break in the case at a Sunday night news conference.  He said physical evidence found on the south end of Lake Hodges lead investigators to Gardner.  Reports indicate underwear found near the lake contained DNA that lead investigators to Gardner.

Gardner's home has been searched and he is being questioned by investigators.

Gore said searchers will continue looking throughout the night for Chelsea.  When asked  if the 17-year-old Poway High student is still believed to be alive, Gore said, "we're holding out that hope."

Those comments were made before jail records revealed the preliminary murder and rape charges against Gardner.

(snipped)

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #351 on: March 01, 2010, 10:03:58 AM »

I wonder if the statement about him being caked in mud is true, I wouldn't think you would go to town that way. Also, the dna found in Chelsea's underwear, that was very quick getting results back, and with all the rain, I would have thought that perhaps it would have been washed away.
Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #352 on: March 01, 2010, 11:00:09 AM »

Lots of photos here AmandaReconwith if you want to grab them...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/28/lake-elsinore-man-arrested-poway-teens-disappearan/

Registered sex offender held in case of missing teen
Lake Elsinore man arrested; hunt for Chelsea King to expand

By J. Harry Jones, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Originally published February 28, 2010 at 7:47 p.m., updated March 1, 2010 at 1:34 a.m

A registered sex offender was in jail Monday morning on suspicion of murder and rape in connection with the disappearance of Poway teenager Chelsea King, the Sheriff’s Department said.

John Albert Gardner III, 30, who listed his home address in Lake Elsinore, was arrested in front of a popular Mexican restaurant and bar called Hernandez Hide-A-Way in the tiny community of Del Dios on the west shore of Lake Hodges near Escondido at 4:20 p.m. Sunday, San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore said Sunday night.

Numerous pieces of physical evidence led investigators to Gardner, Gore said. He would not elaborate, stating the investigation is ongoing and that authorities are still trying to find Chelsea, 17, who went to Rancho Bernardo Comunity Park for a run and never came home.

Her parents said the arrest would not stop them from continuing their search for Chelsea.

“Nothing will change for us until our beautiful daughter, Chelsea King, comes home,” said Kelly and Brent King in a statement Sunday night. “We will continue searching for her, and we ask that all of you do the same until she’s back with us.”

Gore said the hunt for the teenager will continue until she is found and is being expanded beyond Rancho Bernardo Community Park and the adjacent Lake Hodges, which search teams have been combing since the Poway High School senior disappeared Thursday.

Investigators were seen at a townhome on Matinal Road near West Bernardo Drive in San Diego early Monday morning that is about one mile south of the nearest entrance to the park were Chelsea went missing. Public records link an address on that street to Gardner.

San Diego police officers blocked off a section of the street in either direction from the townhome. Investigators could be seen walking to and from the residence.

“There are several searches going on around the county,” Gore said. “We are going to refocus some of our search efforts.”

Chelsea’s parents reported their daughter missing about 6 p.m. Thursday when she failed to come home from a run at the Rancho Bernardo park. Brent King found his daughter’s locked car in the parking lot at the park.

A multiagency missing-person search has continued round-the-clock since then.

“Our primary goal in all of this,” Gore said Sunday, “is to find Chelsea King.”

The sheriff also said there was “a strong possibility” Gardner may be connected to an attack on a lone female jogger in Rancho Bernardo Community Park the morning of Dec. 27.

He said investigators also were looking into the possibility of a connection between the cases of Gardner and Amber Dubois, who disappeared while walking to Escondido High School on Feb. 13, 2009. Amber was 14 at the time.

“We’re leaving no stone unturned,” Gore said.

Gardner is listed in the state’s Megan’s Law sex offender registry as having been convicted of committing a lewd or lascivious act upon a child younger than 14. He was involved in a criminal case in San Diego Superior Court in 2000, but details were not imediately available.

The address he listed as his home in Lake Elsinore was searched Sunday and a neighbor said officers were especially interested in a shed behind the two-story house.

The residence on Matinal Road is about 1,100 feet from Westwood Elementary School. Since the passage in November 2006 of Proposition 83, known as “Jessica’s Law,” registered sex offenders are prohibited from living within 2,000 feet of schools or parks. The law is currently being challenged in California’s courts.  

Gardner listed his home address in Lake Elsinore, according to the sex offender registry.

Less than two hours before Gardner’s arrest, Brent King sat down for his first in-depth interview since his daughter’s disappearance.

Brent King said he came home from the gym about 5:30 p.m. Thursday, about the same time his wife, Kelly, was returning from the grocery store.

“My wife asked me if I had heard from Chels. I said, ‘No, I figured you had.’ Right then, we looked at each other and had a panic,” Brent King said in an interview.

Chelsea is the kind of daughter who always checks in, her father said. If she was going to be late, she would let them know.

“We quickly called a few of her friends and asked if they had heard from Chelsea because we hadn’t,” Brent King said. The friends hadn’t heard from her.

“We then had a mom share with us how to do the AT&T reverse autophone, which I’d never heard of before, and you can identify where a phone is based on the AT&T Web site.”

The Web site showed a general geographical location.

“I started searching,” he said. While driving from his northern Poway home, his wife called and told Brent King she wanted to call 911 and he agreed.

“We just both knew something bad was happening,” he said.

Brent King soon found Chelsea’s BMW parked behind the Rancho Bernardo Community Center just south of Lake Hodges. He looked inside and saw her belongings.

“I then looked behind me and I saw a running trail, and in the deepest part of my heart, I knew she was out there,” the father said.

“So I took off down the trail. I ran down about a mile yelling out her name as long as I could, several times and in several directions. By this time it was already dusk and the Sheriff’s Department had already shown up. So I ran back,” he said.

Looking drawn and choking with emotion at times during the interview, Brent King said he would share every detail of his life, his daughter’s life and his family’s life “if it will help bring my daughter home. Please write up that I thank everybody. Thank everybody for their support and please ask them to keep bringing it until we have my daughter home.”

Brent King works in the mortgage banking industry and said he is between jobs. His wife is a medical assistant for a dermatologist. They have one other child, a son in the 8th grade, whom the father was reticent to talk about given the situation.

Chelsea was born at Pomerado Hospital in Poway but the family moved away before she entered kindergarten. They lived in the Chicago area for 12 years before he was transferred to San Diego County in 2007 when Chelsea was in her freshman year. The family lives in a large home in a gated community in north Poway.

Brent King said his wife is holding up through the terrible uncertainty.

“Kelly is a very, very, very strong Scottish/Irish girl. She will do whatever it takes for her daughter,” he said.

The father wants the world to know his daughter.

“Since the moment that Chelsea graced us, she’s been a light bulb, just a piece of energy,” he said. “When she comes into a room, you know she’s there. Whether it’s because she’s got this huge smile and she’s lighting it up or because she’s stumbling around and making somebody laugh.”

The straight-A, college-bound student who loves to play the French horn around the house has “an incredibly witty sense of humor,” Brent King said. “She dreams such big dreams of not only seeing the world but healing the world.”

Before learning of Gardner’s arrest, Brent King said he did not want to speculate about why his daughter is gone. Many have said she was always going out of her way to help others.

“I have tremendous amounts of worries,” he said. “I can’t categorize them. I don’t want to speculate but I could absolutely see my daughter going to someone’s aid. And if the roles were reversed, she would be here (at the search center) leading the entire campaign.”

“You never want to be in the situation that my daughter is in and that my wife and I and son are in,” the father said.

“But the amount of pain we’re going through is only offset by the amount of love that we feel over here,” he said, referring to a volunteer search center in Rancho Bernardo where thousands of volunteers have shown up to offer help.

Brent King said he’s spoken recently with several parents of children who have gone missing, including Maurice Dubois and Carrie McGonigle, parents of Amber Dubois.

Just hours before the arrest , the father said he had a gut feeling.

“I’ve got an incredibly deep relationship with my daughter,” he said. “We share each other’s words. We have the exact same sense of humor, the exact same smiles.”

“I know she’s still here. We just have to find her.”

Although he couldn’t share what police have told the family, Brent King said: “What I can say is the effort is breathless, speechless, enormous. I can’t think of a resource they aren’t using across every department. The coordinated effort that is occurring, I’m witness to it. I’ve seen it.”

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #353 on: March 01, 2010, 11:12:47 AM »

The address he listed as his home in Lake Elsinore was searched Sunday and a neighbor said officers were especially interested in a shed behind the two-story house.

The residence on Matinal Road is about 1,100 feet from Westwood Elementary School. Since the passage in November 2006 of Proposition 83, known as “Jessica’s Law,” registered sex offenders are prohibited from living within 2,000 feet of schools or parks. The law is currently being challenged in California’s courts.    No big surprise that Prop 83 is being challenged
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #354 on: March 01, 2010, 11:31:53 AM »

Lots of photos here AmandaReconwith if you want to grab them...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/28/lake-elsinore-man-arrested-poway-teens-disappearan/

Registered sex offender held in case of missing teen
Lake Elsinore man arrested; hunt for Chelsea King to expand

By J. Harry Jones, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Originally published February 28, 2010 at 7:47 p.m., updated March 1, 2010 at 1:34 a.m

A registered sex offender was in jail Monday morning on suspicion of murder and rape in connection with the disappearance of Poway teenager Chelsea King, the Sheriff’s Department said.

John Albert Gardner III, 30, who listed his home address in Lake Elsinore, was arrested in front of a popular Mexican restaurant and bar called Hernandez Hide-A-Way in the tiny community of Del Dios on the west shore of Lake Hodges near Escondido at 4:20 p.m. Sunday, San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore said Sunday night.

Numerous pieces of physical evidence led investigators to Gardner, Gore said. He would not elaborate, stating the investigation is ongoing and that authorities are still trying to find Chelsea, 17, who went to Rancho Bernardo Comunity Park for a run and never came home.

Her parents said the arrest would not stop them from continuing their search for Chelsea.

“Nothing will change for us until our beautiful daughter, Chelsea King, comes home,” said Kelly and Brent King in a statement Sunday night. “We will continue searching for her, and we ask that all of you do the same until she’s back with us.”

Gore said the hunt for the teenager will continue until she is found and is being expanded beyond Rancho Bernardo Community Park and the adjacent Lake Hodges, which search teams have been combing since the Poway High School senior disappeared Thursday.

Investigators were seen at a townhome on Matinal Road near West Bernardo Drive in San Diego early Monday morning that is about one mile south of the nearest entrance to the park were Chelsea went missing. Public records link an address on that street to Gardner.

San Diego police officers blocked off a section of the street in either direction from the townhome. Investigators could be seen walking to and from the residence.

“There are several searches going on around the county,” Gore said. “We are going to refocus some of our search efforts.”

Chelsea’s parents reported their daughter missing about 6 p.m. Thursday when she failed to come home from a run at the Rancho Bernardo park. Brent King found his daughter’s locked car in the parking lot at the park.

A multiagency missing-person search has continued round-the-clock since then.

“Our primary goal in all of this,” Gore said Sunday, “is to find Chelsea King.”

The sheriff also said there was “a strong possibility” Gardner may be connected to an attack on a lone female jogger in Rancho Bernardo Community Park the morning of Dec. 27.

He said investigators also were looking into the possibility of a connection between the cases of Gardner and Amber Dubois, who disappeared while walking to Escondido High School on Feb. 13, 2009. Amber was 14 at the time.

“We’re leaving no stone unturned,” Gore said.

Gardner is listed in the state’s Megan’s Law sex offender registry as having been convicted of committing a lewd or lascivious act upon a child younger than 14. He was involved in a criminal case in San Diego Superior Court in 2000, but details were not imediately available.

The residence on Matinal Road is about 1,100 feet from Westwood Elementary School. Since the passage in November 2006 of Proposition 83, known as “Jessica’s Law,” registered sex offenders are prohibited from living within 2,000 feet of schools or parks. The law is currently being challenged in California’s courts.  

Gardner listed his home address in Lake Elsinore, according to the sex offender registry.

Less than two hours before Gardner’s arrest, Brent King sat down for his first in-depth interview since his daughter’s disappearance.

Brent King said he came home from the gym about 5:30 p.m. Thursday, about the same time his wife, Kelly, was returning from the grocery store.

“My wife asked me if I had heard from Chels. I said, ‘No, I figured you had.’ Right then, we looked at each other and had a panic,” Brent King said in an interview.

Chelsea is the kind of daughter who always checks in, her father said. If she was going to be late, she would let them know.

“We quickly called a few of her friends and asked if they had heard from Chelsea because we hadn’t,” Brent King said. The friends hadn’t heard from her.

“We then had a mom share with us how to do the AT&T reverse autophone, which I’d never heard of before, and you can identify where a phone is based on the AT&T Web site.”

The Web site showed a general geographical location.

“I started searching,” he said. While driving from his northern Poway home, his wife called and told Brent King she wanted to call 911 and he agreed.

“We just both knew something bad was happening,” he said.

Brent King soon found Chelsea’s BMW parked behind the Rancho Bernardo Community Center just south of Lake Hodges. He looked inside and saw her belongings.

“I then looked behind me and I saw a running trail, and in the deepest part of my heart, I knew she was out there,” the father said.

“So I took off down the trail. I ran down about a mile yelling out her name as long as I could, several times and in several directions. By this time it was already dusk and the Sheriff’s Department had already shown up. So I ran back,” he said.

Looking drawn and choking with emotion at times during the interview, Brent King said he would share every detail of his life, his daughter’s life and his family’s life “if it will help bring my daughter home. Please write up that I thank everybody. Thank everybody for their support and please ask them to keep bringing it until we have my daughter home.”

Brent King works in the mortgage banking industry and said he is between jobs. His wife is a medical assistant for a dermatologist. They have one other child, a son in the 8th grade, whom the father was reticent to talk about given the situation.

Chelsea was born at Pomerado Hospital in Poway but the family moved away before she entered kindergarten. They lived in the Chicago area for 12 years before he was transferred to San Diego County in 2007 when Chelsea was in her freshman year. The family lives in a large home in a gated community in north Poway.

Brent King said his wife is holding up through the terrible uncertainty.

“Kelly is a very, very, very strong Scottish/Irish girl. She will do whatever it takes for her daughter,” he said.

The father wants the world to know his daughter.

“Since the moment that Chelsea graced us, she’s been a light bulb, just a piece of energy,” he said. “When she comes into a room, you know she’s there. Whether it’s because she’s got this huge smile and she’s lighting it up or because she’s stumbling around and making somebody laugh.”

The straight-A, college-bound student who loves to play the French horn around the house has “an incredibly witty sense of humor,” Brent King said. “She dreams such big dreams of not only seeing the world but healing the world.”

Before learning of Gardner’s arrest, Brent King said he did not want to speculate about why his daughter is gone. Many have said she was always going out of her way to help others.

“I have tremendous amounts of worries,” he said. “I can’t categorize them. I don’t want to speculate but I could absolutely see my daughter going to someone’s aid. And if the roles were reversed, she would be here (at the search center) leading the entire campaign.”

“You never want to be in the situation that my daughter is in and that my wife and I and son are in,” the father said.

“But the amount of pain we’re going through is only offset by the amount of love that we feel over here,” he said, referring to a volunteer search center in Rancho Bernardo where thousands of volunteers have shown up to offer help.

Brent King said he’s spoken recently with several parents of children who have gone missing, including Maurice Dubois and Carrie McGonigle, parents of Amber Dubois.

Just hours before the arrest , the father said he had a gut feeling.

“I’ve got an incredibly deep relationship with my daughter,” he said. “We share each other’s words. We have the exact same sense of humor, the exact same smiles.”

“I know she’s still here. We just have to find her.”

Although he couldn’t share what police have told the family, Brent King said: “What I can say is the effort is breathless, speechless, enormous. I can’t think of a resource they aren’t using across every department. The coordinated effort that is occurring, I’m witness to it. I’ve seen it.”

I pray for her parents to keep their strength strong...they sound like wonderful people...my heart breaks for them.

Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #355 on: March 01, 2010, 12:09:14 PM »

My heart breaks for this family.  When will things change so that these offenders are locked up and never let out?  You can't rehab them, they cannot be controlled, that is a fact, they continue to offend and kill.  This is so frustrating. 

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #356 on: March 01, 2010, 12:11:11 PM »

From Chelsea's parents to all who are (or may be planning to) search, help, etc. released moments ago:

To our Volunteers,
I wanted to post a message straight to those who have reached out to our family and thank you directly on this facebook page to help bring Chelsea home. We are grateful for all your support and how you are ALL doing your part to help the family. We need searchers now more than ever and hope to find Chelsea. Please assist us in the search to bring her home.Our sincere gratitude, Brent and Kelly King   an angelic monkey
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #357 on: March 01, 2010, 12:16:57 PM »

KPBSnews

1. Correction: Arraignment scheduled for Wednesday at 1:30 p.m., not today. 10 minutes ago via Seesmic
http://twitter.com/KPBSnews

~ Peter Frampton
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #358 on: March 01, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »

Thank for posting all of the articles and updates. NRCG how on earth would that person know that he was not involved in Ambers abduction, because he was a good step dad according to her? I wonder if that kid would feel the same way.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #359 on: March 01, 2010, 12:28:25 PM »

Thank for posting all of the articles and updates. NRCG how on earth would that person know that he was not involved in Ambers abduction, because he was a good step dad according to her? I wonder if that kid would feel the same way.

I have no idea, scary if it is true that he is a step dad. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.