March 28, 2024, 02:51:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Authorities: Mom, son raped, beat, scalded and killed disabled woman  (Read 13646 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: February 28, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hDPNRkt5LYBp9CXhXGPnIB3iH19gD9E46EKO0
Authorities: Mom, son raped, killed disabled woman
February 27, 2010
BUFFALO, N.Y. — A mother and her son were charged Friday in the death of the woman's 23-year-old mentally disabled daughter who investigators said was repeatedly raped, beaten and scalded and had her face pushed into feces.

An Erie County grand jury returned a multi-count indictment against 51-year-old Eva Cummings and her 31-year-old son, Luke Wright, both of North Collins outside Buffalo, in a case that was described by Sheriff's Capt. Ronald Kenyon as "horrendous" and "beyond description."

Cummings was charged with second-degree murder for allegedly suffocating Laura Cummings in their home Jan. 21 following years of abuse. Both mother and son face additional charges including predatory sexual assault, unlawful imprisonment as a hate crime and endangering a disabled person's welfare.

Both have been held without bail since their arrests Jan. 30. Arraignment in Erie County Court was scheduled for Monday.

Laura Cummings was repeatedly tied to a chair, all night at times, for the last two years and often with a hood over her head, according to the indictment. She was sodomized with a broomstick, forced to put her face in her own feces, repeatedly beaten and was scalded with water at least twice before she died, the investigation found.

Wright also is charged with several sex offenses, including raping his half-sister, District Attorney Frank Sedita's office said.

Following their arrests, Kenyon said investigators had found evidence of physical and mental abuse going back to 1995 and that the abuse had escalated in the months before her death. The victim's 22-year-old brother told reporters he had been concerned about his sister's treatment and had called county social services agencies from his Air Force base in North Carolina in an unsuccessful attempt to get her removed from the home.

County officials have said confidentiality rules prevent them from discussing individual cases.

"This is a horrifically sad case from many aspects," said Wright's attorney, John Nuchereno, who said Wright himself was "a victim of lifelong abuse."

"There was abuse in that household that had been known for years and years by many, many people and Luke was an unfortunate victim, as was his sister," the attorney said. He described Wright as marginally functional, though more advanced than Laura Cummings, who has been described as having the mental capacity of a preteen. Wright had held jobs mucking stalls or helping plow, Nuchereno said.

Cummings' attorney, Joseph Terranova, declined Friday to comment on the indictment because he had not yet seen it.

If convicted, Cummings faces a sentence of 83 years to life in prison. Her son faces a sentence of 133 years to life.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 02:18:56 PM »

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/02/26/970986/mother-son-indicted-in-hate-crime.html
The short life and long tortured death of Laura Cummings
Abused victim was mentally disabled
February 27, 2010

Eva M. Cummings, 51, faces a second-degree murder charge.
Harry Scull Jr./News file photo

A good night for Laura Cummings meant being allowed to sleep on the kitchen floor in her family’s North Collins home.

Usually in the weeks leading up to her death, she was forced to sleep shackled to a metal chair with a sack over her face.

Days were even more nightmarish for the 23-year-old mentally disabled woman, who was held captive and brutalized, allegedly by her own mother and half brother, according to an Erie County Grand Jury indictment returned Friday.

Cummings’ short life ended Jan. 21 with a long, tortuous death and a trail of missed chances to get her to safety.

A grand jury indicted Cummings’ mother, Eva M. Cummings, 51, and her half brother, Luke J. Wright, 31, on charges related to the homicide, but authorities continued to be confounded by the apparent lack of community concern for the defenseless woman’s welfare.

“There were a lot of people who knew what was going on and said nothing, and that is a sad commentary on the human condition,” said District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III.

Clues and reports about mistreatment inside the apartment at 2052 Sherman Ave. popped up frequently over the years.

Siblings and other relatives said they called Child Protective Services and Adult Protective Services. Whispers floated around town, including at the food pantry, that Cummings was being tied up at home.

“This is the problem today — nobody wants to get involved,” added Caroline Lee, who lives down the street from the Cummings apartment.

The pantry was one of the few places in town where Laura Cummings, a petite woman with short brown hair who rarely made eye contact with people, was seen in public away from her home.

Lee called Laura Cummings’ younger brother, Richard, about the suspected abuse, and Richard contacted Erie County Adult Protective Services.

“They never went inside the household and they never filed for a warrant to go inside,” said Richard Cummings, who is serving in the Air Force and is stationed in North Carolina. “I’m wondering why .‚.‚. Adult Protective Services didn’t do anything about it.”

Instead, the abuse intensified over the last few months of Laura’s life, said investigators. “Starting in November, there’s a significant escalation of her debasement as a human being,” Senior Trial Counsel Thomas M. Finnerty of the DA’s Office said. “It was happening on a daily or nightly basis.”

Finnerty, who has prosecuted a number of heinous crimes in his 17 years in the DA’s office, called it “the worst case I’ve ever seen.”

“It’s sadistic, and it’s allegedly sustained over a long period of time,” he said.

That was especially true of the unlawful imprisonment of Laura Cummings, in the weeks preceding her death.

“She’s restrained more often than she’s not,” Sheriff’s Capt. Ronald L. Kenyon said.

At other times, she was treated as an inanimate object, draped with a blanket so that visitors who stopped by the apartment wouldn’t know she was there, according to authorities.

Eva Cummings and Luke Wright were indicted on a total of 15 charges in connection with the suffocation death of Laura Cummings. They are expected to be arraigned at 2 p.m. Monday before Erie County Court Judge Sheila A. DiTullio.

Eva Cummings faces a second-degree murder charge, while her son is charged with five sexual assault charges. Both are accused of using a broomstick to sexually attack the young woman, as well as forcing her to touch her own waste and scalding her with hot water, according to the indictment papers.

Mother and son also are accused of unlawfully imprisoning Laura Cummings because of her mental disability — an elevated hate crime charge.

“It’s a hate crime because it’s motivated in whole or substantial part by the belief or perception regarding the victim’s disability,” Sedita said.

Eva Cummings could face a possible sentence of 83 years to life on five charges, while her son could face 142 years to life on 10 charges, prosecutors said.

The charges, based on extensive investigation by four Erie County sheriff’s detectives and statements from both suspects, paint an extremely troubling portrait of the alleged abuse against the young woman who talked with a speech impediment, had difficulty swallowing food and was said to have the mental capacity of a pre-teenage girl.

Sedita and Kenyon praised sheriff’s Detectives Gregory McCarthy, Dennis Fitzgibbon, Matthew Noecker and Jack Graham.

“The efforts of the Sheriff’s Department were dogged,” Sedita said. “They didn’t stop. They interviewed basically the whole town of North Collins.”

Both mother and son are charged with unlawful imprisonment and endangering the welfare of a mentally disabled person.

“If the allegations are true, it is clear that the defendants did not treat Laura as a human being,” said Sedita. “In fact, if these allegations are true, one wonders if either one of them even considered Laura to be a human being.”

Laura Cummings’ tragic life might have gone in a different direction on several occasions, starting when she was a youngster, according to various sources.

As a child, she and other siblings were placed with foster families in Florida that tried unsuccessfully to adopt the children, said Patricia Wright, Laura’s half-sister.

The Cummings household, in North Collins and prior to that in Olean, was well-known to Child Protective Services in Erie and Cattaraugus counties, family members said.

Patricia Wright, 27, said she reported abuse to Erie County Child Protective Services and Erie County Family Court more than a decade ago.

“I stopped talking to them when I was 17 years old because there was nothing being done,” said Wright, who was legally adopted by a family friend and is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in forestry management. “I kept trying to tell them, ‘You need to get those kids out of there. And they said, ‘No there’s nothing we can do.’‚”

Patricia Wright said she was physically abused for years, resulting in a broken ankle and cracked vertebrae in her back.

“I would get hit with baseball bats, spoons — anything that mom could grab a hold of,” she said. “We got hurt every day. She didn’t take us to the hospital.”

She was even locked in a closet for a week, and her brother, Luke, sneaked her bread and water, she said.

After spending time at a facility for teenagers, Patricia Wright was legally adopted by Roland Grotke, a neighbor of her grandparents in East Otto.

She said she tried to return to the home and rescue Laura, but was rebuffed by her mother.

“I knew my Mom was kind of off upstairs,” said Patricia Wright. “I knew she was incapable of taking care of a person like Laura, who needed that extra help.”

Neither Richard Cummings nor Patricia Wright had been allowed to visit Laura Cummings in recent years, they said.

But other relatives were in regular contact with her, including another brother, Eddie Cummings, who lived in the house but is not a suspect in the abuse. Eddie Cummings, who left the house for work each morning by 7 a.m. and didn’t return until after 9 p.m., declined to speak with The News.

Sources said Joyce Landahl, a cousin of Eva Cummings who also is legal guardian of Eva Cummings’ youngest daughter, made regular visits to the Cummings home, along with a family friend named Sue.

“Everyone thinks I should’ve known more,” said Landahl. “I didn’t know what was going on. I wish I knew more, but I don’t know nothing.”

Landahl visited the house to drop off food, but didn’t go inside because she has difficulty climbing stairs, she said.

Eva Cummings could be verbally abusive to Laura, sometimes screaming at her daughter to clean up faster, said Landahl.

And when the children were younger, Landahl said she reported Eva Cummings on multiple occasions to Child Protective Services — for neglect, not abuse.

“She just wasn’t a good parent in that respect, but I never seen her hurt nobody,” said Landahl.

And Luke, she added, didn’t exhibit violent behavior, either.

“I never would’ve dreamed Lukey would do that. I can’t imagine it,” she said. “I never seen nothing abusive with him. Never, ever.”

Mark Engler, who owns the property where Laura was killed, often hired Luke Wright for odd jobs and was at the home the day of Laura’s death to pick up Luke.

“A lot of people are shocked I didn’t know more,” said Engler, of Angola. “But it was nothing for me to knock on the door and walk in, and I never saw anything unusual.”

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:22:47 PM »

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/crime/Mom-and-son-indicted-on-disturbing-charges
Mom, son indicted on disturbing charges
February 26, 2010
NORTH COLLINS, N.Y. (WIVB) - The murder and suspected torture of a disabled woman in North Collins has taken a dramatic turn.

We warn you: some of the charges announced are graphic and disturbing.

Erie County Sheriff's investigators called this one of the most gruesome, brutal murders they have ever seen. A small, frail young woman with mental and physical disabilities was tortured and murdered at the hands of her own mother and brother.

An Erie County grand jury has indicted Eva Cummings and her 31-year-old son Luke Wright for the torture, sexual assault, and murder of Cummings' 23-year-old daughter Laura. Investigators say Laura's mother sodomized her with a broomstick, before choking her with her bare hands, while her older brother, Luke, burned her with scalding hot water and raped her.

Authorities found Laura's lifeless body in the family's first floor North Collins apartment on January 21.

Capt. Ron Kenyon, an investigator with the Erie County Sheriff's office, said, "All the detectives involved, myself included, I start 30 years, next year, and we have never seen anything quite as horrific as what we have seen in this investigation."

Investigators say Laura Cummings' abuse dates as far back as 1995 when the family was under the supervision of Child Protective Services and the courts. But Laura's brother Richard Cummings is angry that his calls back in July, from his air base in North Carolina to Adult Protective Services when Laura was injured, were not heeded.

"And told them, you need to really investigate, and they just would not," said Richard.

Patricia Wright, an older sister who was sexually abused by her stepfather, got out of the apartment on Sherman Avenue and was taken in by another family when she was 13.

Patricia said, "What was that apartment like? Chaos. Almost like a... what we went through."

Trish believes her mother forced her older brother Luke into the brutal assault and murder of their sister.

"I don't want my mom ever getting out. She is a danger not only to herself, but to other people as well," said Patricia.

And District Attorney Frank Sedita says if convicted on all counts, Eva Cummings could get 83 years to life in prison. If convicted, Luke Wright faces 133 years to life. Their arraignment is set for Monday afternoon in Erie County Court.

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 05:31:15 PM »

I read this earlier and just do not have the words to describe my outrage and pure discuss. I have a child with a disability, I could never even raise my voice to him much less raise a hand or god forbid devise a plan to harm him in anyway. I would go down dying if anyone even dared to hurt a hair on his head. These children are gifts, truly a gift from God himself. He allows us to have a child with a disability with the understanding we are to take care and love them more then anyone could even dare to. As mothers, we have been blessed, it is that simple, we are blessed to have them.
How I wish I can enter the home in which this person was being tortured and help her, protect her, stand up and fight for her. How very sad those around this family suspected something to be wrong and did nothing to come to the aide of a person so vulnerable. How tragic that this sort of thing can happen and no one do one damn thing.
I pray Laura is resting peacefully in the arms of God. I am so sorry this happened and I hope those responsible will burn forever.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 07:30:14 PM »

I have plenty of words, but they are not suitable for all viewers... 

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/85520467.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 07:34:01 PM »

31 year old Luke Wright

http://victimsheartland.forumotion.com/victim-s-heartland-lounge-f1/eva-cummings-and-her-31-year-old-son-luke-wright-indicted-for-the-torture-sexual-assault-and-murder-of-cummings-23-year-old-daughter-laura-t2529.htm

There is a mountain of reading at that link

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 08:48:28 PM »

Poor Laura and what she had to endure for so many years. It sickens me...

I hope to god these two monsters pay heavily for what they did.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 08:55:21 PM »

I read this earlier and just do not have the words to describe my outrage and pure discuss. I have a child with a disability, I could never even raise my voice to him much less raise a hand or god forbid devise a plan to harm him in anyway. I would go down dying if anyone even dared to hurt a hair on his head. These children are gifts, truly a gift from God himself. He allows us to have a child with a disability with the understanding we are to take care and love them more then anyone could even dare to. As mothers, we have been blessed, it is that simple, we are blessed to have them.
How I wish I can enter the home in which this person was being tortured and help her, protect her, stand up and fight for her. How very sad those around this family suspected something to be wrong and did nothing to come to the aide of a person so vulnerable. How tragic that this sort of thing can happen and no one do one damn thing.
I pray Laura is resting peacefully in the arms of God. I am so sorry this happened and I hope those responsible will burn forever.

Tracygirl, I have a  nephew with disabilities and his family, church and friends all love him.  I can't imagine something like this happening to him.  Even my nephew's brother who is only 10 helps care for and look after   him.   When the family moved to a larger house the ten year old was offered a room of his own, because his brother with disabilities makes noises at night.  His reply?  No, I can't leave my brother by himself.    The boys sleep in the same room, but have fixed the other room up with a computer, tv, toys and such.   an angelic monkey  Your post brought tears to my eyes, Tracygirl.   an angelic monkey

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 01:23:03 AM »

Oh muffy bless your sweet nephew and your family for knowing what a true gift he is.

You know I look at my son and I think how could anyone believe he is anything less then perfection. I think out of all of the people I know in my life, he is my hero and my inspiration. He is a wonderful boy, so full of life and sweetness and although society stares and points, laughs and shakes their judgemental heads, he goes forward with such enthusiasm. He will just wave at them or smile...how is that not a gift?

I just can't believe when I read these stories about disabled people being abused and/or killed by those who were given the responsibility to just love them. It is beyond my comprehension. It breaks my heart into a million pieces.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 04:30:32 PM »

http://www.buffalonews.com/topics/laura-cummings-murder/article390903.ece
Video
Victim's agony graphically told at torture trial
April 14, 2011

Laura Cummings suffered so many injuries from being beaten, sexually brutalized, scalded with hot water and tied to a chair with with a hood over her head that she was on the verge of death even before her own mother suffocated her, a pathologist testified Tuesday in Erie County Court.

With Cummings' mother now sentenced to more than 50 years in prison, prosecutors have turned their sights on Luke J. Wright, 32, a mildly +++++++ mentally disabled man they accuse of assaulting, raping and endangering his mentally challenged 23-year-old half sister, who was 4-foot-10 and weighed 101 pounds.

"Her brother, the defendant, made her a tortured prisoner," prosecutor Kristin A. St. Mary said in her opening statement.

Cummings spent much of the last two months of her life tied to a chair,in the kitchen, day and night.
 ::snipping2::
Much more...  (terrible, terrible terrible) 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 04:35:29 PM »

http://www.buffalonews.com/topics/laura-cummings-murder/article397621.ece
Wright guilty on all counts
April 20, 2011

Luke J. Wright was found guilty of all ten charges in the sexual brutalization of his half-sister, Laura Cummings, before their mother killed her in their North Collins apartment last year.

After about three hours of deliberations following a week-and-a-half long trial before Senior Erie County Judge Michael L. D'Amico, a jury of six women and six men found Wright, 32, guilty as charged of two counts of first-degree assault and criminal sexual act (sodomy).

The mildly mentally +++++++ Wright also was convicted of single counts of first- and second-degree rape, predatory sexual assault, incest, unlawful imprisonment as a hate crime and endangering the welfare of an incompetent person.
Wright will be sentenced on May 24. He faces a mandatory life term with a minimum sentence of between 50 to 125 years to be set by the judge.

Trial prosecutors Thomas M. Finnerty and Kristin A. St. Mary said they will urge Erie County District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III, who was in the courtroom for the verdict, to seek the maximum-allowable prison term.

John R. Nuchereno, Wright's attorney, said the conviction will be automatically appealed under state law.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 07:32:11 PM »

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/erie/Family-speaks-about-Wrights-conviction
Video
Family speaks about Wright's conviction
April 25, 2011

NORTH COLLINS, N.Y. (WIVB) - Laura Cummings' family and North Collins community members are speaking out in the wake of Luke Wright's conviction for her sexual torture.

Both of Luke Wright's brothers testified against him in his trial and now one of those brothers says he feels bad for Wright, who is looking a lengthy prison term. But he also feels Luke Wright knew what he was doing when he committed atrocities against their sister, atrocities that were beyond belief.
Laura Cummings' siblings have filed a lawsuit against Erie County, demanding accountability for allowing Laura and them to fall through holes in the safety net of social services, designed to protect them. There are also mixed signals additional criminal charges could be filed against a third family member, a cousin who also lives in North Collins.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 07:36:08 PM »

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article409174.ece
Wright's prison term for abuse of sister called death sentence
Friends say low IQ makes him unable to protect himself
May 1, 2011
A state prison sentence for Luke J. Wright might as well be a death sentence, according to family friends who fear that the man with an IQ of 52 will be killed in jail because he's incapable of protecting himself.
A jury on April 20 found Wright guilty on 10 felony counts of rape, sodomy and assault in connection with the brutal attacks upon his mentally challenged half sister, Laura Cummings, inside their North Collins apartment in January 2010.
Wright, who is scheduled to be sentenced May 24, faces more than 125 years in state prison for his role in Laura's torture and sex abuse.

Grotke also had harsh words for Erie County and its Adult Protective Services and Sheriff's Office, calling out caseworkers and deputies for not closely examining problems at the Sherman Avenue apartment long before they escalated to Laura's murder.

"Where were you people when Laura ran away from home and you brought her back to the house four times? I'd be wondering, 'Why are these kids running away?' Not bringing her back," he said.

Grotke, a neighbor of Wright's grandparents in East Otto, Cattaraugus County, attempted to adopt Wright years ago when he was still a boy.

He contends that Wright understood almost nothing about the judicial process that ended in a guilty verdict.

"This kid got railroaded. Erie County was not satisfied with the death of a little girl. Now they're going to kill the brother, too," he said.
Grotke also said that Wright's conviction was a travesty of justice.

"It should have never gotten to the point of a trial," he said. "This thing should've been thrown out of court the moment they came into the courtroom with these charges ... This kid is not all there. Everybody I've talked to has asked the same question: Why was he in court?"

To this day, Wright knows he's in jail, but still doesn't know why, Grotke said.

Prosecutors relied on Wright's copious statements to Erie County sheriff's investigators in convincing jurors that Wright inflicted unimaginable horror upon Laura, 23. And after the verdict, they specifically thanked the sheriff's investigators for their diligence and persistence.

But Wright's lawyer, John R. Nuchereno, argued repeatedly that Wright, who is mentally +++++++ and may suffer from traumatic brain injury, was incapable of understanding the implications of the police questioning and was highly suggestible.

Another friend of the family, Dawn Weyand, said that if Wright did what he's accused of, he did it only out of fear of his mother.
More...

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 08:03:16 PM »

horrible story, just horrible..

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 08:46:20 PM »

Agree Cookie . . . this is so horrid on so many different levels.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »

Agree Cookie . . . this is so horrid on so many different levels.

ya know, sometimes we just don't even have words to express how horrible these crimes are...
some sick feckers out there...scary

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.