March 28, 2024, 11:59:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Signs, Decals a Threat to Your Kids' Safety?  (Read 2338 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: March 04, 2010, 11:42:46 AM »

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/signs-stickers-a-threat-to-your-safety
(Video Available)
Signs, Decals a Threat to Your Kids' Safety?

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

HOUSTON - There are concerns a cheerleading yard sign may have led a predator to target a teenage girl in Cypress.

FOX 26 told you about the sexual assault earlier this week. Now the mayor's crime victims' advocate is warning yard signs could be trouble. Andy Kahan says the public displays should be kept private.

Around Houston, many schools encourage parents to display yard signs and spirit decals to promote a school or a sport. We found dozens in West University. Cindy Irr has a sign in her yard and a decal on her car advertising where her kids go to school.

"I don't think it exposes my children anymore than it would anyway. There's stuff out around my house likes bikes where they (predators) know there's the presence of children," said Irr.

We spotted signs that would let a predator know where a high school senior lives, an elementary student and a girl named "Claire."

"You're sending out more information than you want about yourself, your family and your lifestyle," said Kahan.

Kahan says one word on a sign is too much information. He points to a copy of a convicted child molester's "how to" manual.

"They're looking for any types of messages that advertise that you've got young girls or boys in your household," said Kahan.

The Harris County Sheriff's Office is still looking for the man who raped a 15-year-old girl inside her home in Cypress and may have tried to attack another.

"I do know there were concerns both parties had a sign on their front lawns that they were cheerleaders," said Noel Blackman, the president of the homeowner's association.

Blackman sent out an email recommending residents remove all signs that might identify a child's gender or age.

The likelihood of a child being assaulted or abducted by a stranger isn't very high, but the power a sign could hold is enough for some parents to avoid them.

"We don't really want anyone to know there's three kids who live here and here are their ages. I just think that you're asking for it," said Kristy Kroencke.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »

From my initial post in this thread:
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/signs-stickers-a-threat-to-your-safety

<snip>
The Harris County Sheriff's Office is still looking for the man who raped a 15-year-old girl inside her home in Cypress and may have tried to attack another.
<snip>

Here is the link to the case at Scared Monkeys:

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=7293.0
Man arrested in rape of Cypress TX teen during home break in

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.