May 01, 2024, 02:37:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lively Case Discussion #573 1/13 - 1/14/2007  (Read 97586 times)
AZLady
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #360 on: January 14, 2007, 12:14:16 AM »

That's the reality that so many people can't or won't face.  Without higher education or at least some skill training, they can't keep up.  And this is very, very scary for a person in mid-life who expected to be able to work the same job for a lifetime, like his parents did.

BRING NATALEE HOME
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #361 on: January 14, 2007, 12:14:36 AM »

Quote from: "AZLady"
You can't live on $5.75 an hour or even $7.15 an hour.  Those are supposed to be entry level jobs.  Unfortunately, people don't move past those jobs.

Guess I better stop I'm gonna get you all mad at me.
AZLady
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #362 on: January 14, 2007, 12:15:15 AM »

Quote from: "Carnut"
Quote from: "Dihannah1"
It's pretty sad they are just now trying to pass a minimum wage to $7.15hr after 10 yrs.  I know MY med. insurance alone has quadrupled in that amount of time, let alone gas, utilites, food etc....  How is somebody supposed to live on $5.75 hr?

Dunno, I once survived on $90/mo.

Lived quite well on $1.50hr in my day.

And, I thought I was rich when I made my first $4000/year.  Times have a changed.

BRING NATALEE HOME
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #363 on: January 14, 2007, 12:15:42 AM »

Carnut, I do understand what you are saying, I was in a similar situation.  But you have to admit,  times have changed.  We can't compare our childhood to our kids.  Hell, even when we were kids, we didn't have to worry about guns and weapons going to school.  Times have changed so much, no comparison.  And as I said, there are those who abuse the system, I have no empathy for.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #364 on: January 14, 2007, 12:15:57 AM »

It's pretty sad they are just now trying to pass a minimum wage to $7.15hr after 10 yrs.  I know MY med. insurance alone has quadrupled in that amount of time, let alone gas, utilites, food etc....  How is somebody supposed to live on $5.75 hr?

carnut, that is not possible today and you know it... a $1.50 hr today.... not even.....

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
AZLady
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #365 on: January 14, 2007, 12:16:17 AM »

It's quite different, Carnut, when you are only responsible for yourself.  Factor in a spouse, several children, and the story changes.

BRING NATALEE HOME
robots
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #366 on: January 14, 2007, 12:16:22 AM »

certainly wages have not come up with the cost of living

lets see.... let me do some figuring

when i was 15... i think minimum wage was 3.35 an hour
and because i was 15 i got paid STUDENT wage( 2.35 per hour )
 by the gasoline store  owner. thats when gas stations SOLD  gas, oil and winshield washer FLUID ......ONLY  Cool

that was almost 30 years ago
and today people working at gas stations are making 6.00 bucks per hour

gasoline was 70-90 cents a gallon

a small ice cream cone was 27 cents including tax

and a sunday was 55 cents  Cool

Man is kind enough when he is not excited by religion.
- A Horse's Tale
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #367 on: January 14, 2007, 12:17:04 AM »

Carnut, I do understand what you are saying, I was in a similar situation.  But you have to admit,  times have changed.  We can't compare our childhood to our kids.  Hell, even when we were kids, we didn't have to worry about guns and weapons going to school.  Times have changed so much, no comparison.  And as I said, there are those who abuse the system, I have no empathy for.

Lessee, for the last 5yrs I've been living comfortably on my $1250/mo retirement.

Only in the last year has my website income become enough to make life a bit more enjoyable for me.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #368 on: January 14, 2007, 12:17:52 AM »

Quote from: "mrs. red"

carnut, that is not possible today and you know it... a $1.50 hr today.... not even.....

opps hit send too soon... but like AzLady says minimum wage jobs are supposed to be for high school kids working ... not people trying to support themselves...

and I am not one that thinks every kid has to go to college... heck, I wish I could be an electrician or plumber....

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
AZLady
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #369 on: January 14, 2007, 12:18:03 AM »

In fact, I have often fantasized about how rich I would be if the DH and the kids weren't here!   Laughing   Mine, all mine!!!   Laughing  Laughing

BRING NATALEE HOME
robots
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #370 on: January 14, 2007, 12:18:21 AM »

Lessee, for the last 5yrs I've been living comfortably on my $1250/mo retirement.

Only in the last year has my website income become enough to make life a bit more enjoyable for me.

i wont get mad at ya  Cool

but 1250 a month

lots of people TODAY have a mortagage- insurance and taxes on ahouse that is equal to that

- A Horse's Tale
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #371 on: January 14, 2007, 12:18:28 AM »

There is your clue.  When was YOUR day when you were making that compared to inflation today????   Wink

robots
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #372 on: January 14, 2007, 12:19:49 AM »

i dont think you can get an ice cream cone to day for under 2 bucks

unless its a KITTY CONE

- A Horse's Tale
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #373 on: January 14, 2007, 12:20:52 AM »

Quote from: "robots"

but 1250 a month

lots of people TODAY have a mortagage- insurance and taxes on ahouse that is equal to that

Well, I am managing to handle my mortgage a 'few' other bills quite well.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #374 on: January 14, 2007, 12:21:53 AM »

OK monkeys - will check out for today.  Will look in tomorrow God and computer willing.   Stay safe and warm

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #375 on: January 14, 2007, 12:22:02 AM »

Quote from: "AZLady"
In fact, I have often fantasized about how rich I would be if the DH and the kids weren't here!   Laughing   Mine, all mine!!!   Laughing  Laughing

LOL,  Me too!   and my 19 yr. old...  I don't think were ever going to get rid of her.  But she does have a job making $7.75, makes her own car payment, insurance payment and cell phone.... and struggles so much in school... oh the day when no more supporting kids... Razz

Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #376 on: January 14, 2007, 12:22:10 AM »

but 1250 a month

And from your statement, it would appear folks need to live within their income.
robots
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #377 on: January 14, 2007, 12:22:28 AM »

but 1250 a month

Well, I am managing to handle my mortgage a 'few' other bills quite well.

im glad for ya....Smile  

but my point is...i know some people that are retired and they have no house payment because its paid for.. but if they HAD a mortage today
they would not be able to afford it

- A Horse's Tale
AZLady
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #378 on: January 14, 2007, 12:23:01 AM »

My in-laws live quite comfortably on their social security and a bit of a savings account, not much more than your $1250/month.  But, their house payment is $250/month, car is paid for, and expenses are fixed.  They save enough every few months to make the trip to Laughlin to gamble with friends and go out for lunch once a week or so.  We help with luxuries for Christmas, birthdays, Mother's Day, etc.  They have medicare for medical care.  Their life is actually very good.  However, they are in their 70's.  I'm not talking about them.  I'm talking about 30-40 something's who are raising families and trying to make ends meet.

BRING NATALEE HOME
robots
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #379 on: January 14, 2007, 12:23:51 AM »

but 1250 a month

And from your statement, it would appear folks need to live within their income.

im with ya

that is a big part of the problem

people wanting this and this and this and this and on and on and on

but it is not the case with everyone

- A Horse's Tale
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.