March 29, 2024, 02:26:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chelsea King, 17, Msg. 2-25-2010 Rancho Bernadino CA (BODY FOUND) #2  (Read 85283 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2010, 04:28:31 PM »

http://www.10news.com/news/23231422/detail.html

Judge To Consider Lifting Gag Order In Dubois, King Cases

POSTED: 7:37 am PDT April 22, 2010
UPDATED: 7:44 am PDT April 22, 2010

SAN DIEGO -- A San Diego judge Thursday will consider lifting a gag order in the case of a convicted sex offender who admitted raping and killing 17-year-old Chelsea King and 14-year-old Amber Dubois.

John Albert Gardner III, 31, pleaded guilty Friday to the rapes and murders of Chelsea, a Poway High senior, and Amber, an Escondido High School freshman.

Attorneys for Chelsea's parents asked San Diego Superior Court Judge David Danielsen on Tuesday for an order to stop the news media from making information contained in court documents about the killings public. Danielsen met privately with attorneys involved in the case, then scheduled a hearing on the issue for Thursday.
Quantcast

According to the King family, attorney Pat Swan will "advocate for suppression of certain documents under victims' rights statutes.

"This action has become necessary in response by some media outlets to obtain the release of all records related to Chelsea's death, which runs counter to the King's family's wishes to honor their daughter's memory, and to allow the community to heal," the Kings stated.

Gardner attacked, raped and killed Chelsea, who disappeared after going for a run Feb. 25 at Rancho Bernardo Community Park. The avid runner and straight-A student's body was found March 2 in a shallow grave near a tributary of nearby Lake Hodges -- not far from Gardner's mother's home.

Gardner admitted attacking King while she was jogging, taking her to a remote area where he raped and strangled her and buried her in a shallow grave.

He also admitted killing Amber Dubois, who vanished Feb. 13, 2009, while walking to Escondido High School. Her skeletal remains were found March 6 in Pala based on what Gardner told authorities.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2010, 04:31:46 PM »

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local-beat/Search-Warrants-Sealed-for-Now-91831384.html

Search Warrants Sealed for Now
By PAUL KRUEGER
Updated 11:01 AM PDT, Thu, Apr 22, 2010

Search warrants in connection with the rape and murder of Poway teenager Chelsea King will stay sealed until Monday, a judge ruled Thursday.

John Albert Gardner III will be sentenced for the murders of 17-year-old Chelsea King and 14-year-old Amber Dubois on June 1 after accepting a plea agreement that removed the possibility of a death sentence for the crimes.

NBC San Diego and other media outlets have filed documents requesting the San Diego County Superior Court lift a gag order barring authorities from discussing the evidence and release records related to search warrants.

In a hearing Thursday, Judge Peter Deddeh heard arguments from attorneys representing the media as well as prosecutors, the Kings' attorneys and lawyers representing the parents of Amber Dubois.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2010, 07:03:22 PM »

Judge lifts gag order in Chelsea King, Amber Dubois murder cases
April 22, 2010

A San Diego judge Thursday lifted a gag order in the case of a convicted sex offender who admitted raping and killing 17-year-old Chelsea King and 14-year-old Amber Dubois.

John Albert Gardner III, 31, pleaded guilty Friday to the rapes and murders of Chelsea, a Poway High senior, and Amber, an Escondido High School freshman.

In addition to lifting the gag order that had been in place, San Diego Superior Court Judge David Danielsen rejected a request by Chelsea’s parents for a new order blocking the media from obtaining public information contained in court documents about the killings.

In a declaration to the court, Brent King, Chelsea’s father pleaded for a protective order that would prohibit authorities from releasing information regarding the crime scene or his daughter’s autopsy and sexual assault examinations.

“Every time we see an article in the paper, on television, or hear anything about the case on the radio or in the community, we are re-traumatized, re-victimized and gravely saddened beyond description,” he wrote.

Chelsea’s death has “traumatized” her brother, 13-year-old Tyler, Brent King wrote. The boy has stopped playing baseball and only attends school part-time.

“We worry every moment of every day about the well-being of our son, and cannot imagine what harm will come to him if the information we would like protected is disclosed in any fashion,” Brent wrote.

Chelsea’s father also wrote he and his wife have sought trauma counseling, that he takes medication to sleep now, and that his wife takes medication “to help cope with Chelsea’s horrible death.”

“I wake up every morning not wanting to wake up,” he wrote. “I can only sleep with medication, which I never needed before in my life. The thoughts that run through my head constantly replay my daughter’s last moments. I am tortured by it.”

Danielsen had discussed the issue privately with attorneys for Chelsea’s parents on Tuesday.

In a statement, her parents said, “This action has become necessary in response by some media outlets to obtain the release of all records related to Chelsea’s death, which runs counter to the King’s family’s wishes to honor their daughter’s memory, and to allow the community to heal.”

Gardner attacked, raped and killed Chelsea, who disappeared after going for a run Feb. 25 at Rancho Bernardo Community Park. The avid runner and straight-A student’s body was found March 2 in a shallow grave near a tributary of nearby Lake Hodges — not far from Gardner’s mother’s home.

Gardner admitted attacking King while she was jogging, taking her to a remote area where he raped and strangled her and buried her in a shallow grave.

He also admitted killing Amber Dubois, who vanished Feb. 13, 2009, while walking to Escondido High School. Her skeletal remains were found March 6 in Pala based on what Gardner told authorities.

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-04-22/local-county-news/crime/judge-lifts-gag-order-in-chelsea-king-amber-dubois-murder-cases

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2010, 04:39:14 PM »

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=12366859

Gardner gag order is lifted, but no one is talking
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 5:42 PM PDT
Updated: Apr 24, 2010 10:10 AM PDT

Gardner gag order is lifted, but no one is talking

SAN DIEGO, Calif. (CBS Cool - The gag order in the John Gardner trial has been lifted, but documents about the murder of Chelsea King and Amber Dubois remain sealed. That's because there's a question about whether the public's right to know outweighs the victims' right to privacy.

News 8 has learned four out of 10 search warrants could be released on Monday, but autopsy reports are routinely sealed until sentencing. And even then, there could be another big legal challenge over releasing it.

In a battle over Marsy's Law and freedom of the press, records in the Chelsea King and Amber Dubois murder cases remain sealed, despite a judge lifting a gag order.

"I see a major legal challenge because Marsy's Law gives certain privacy rights to the victims and the families of victims of crimes, and that's going to be balanced against the public's right to know," News 8 legal analyst Bill Nimmo said.

Citing Marsy's Law, or the Victim's Bill of Rights, which protects privacy of crime victims, the King family fought to block the media from making photos and details about the killings public.

Judge David Danielson couldn't order the case files unsealed, so the decision to release records must come from the sheriff's department, Escondido police and the medical examiner's office.

News 8 has submitted records requests with each agency, but so far no one is talking and nothing is being released.

"The amount of information that would be available would be massive," Nimmo said. "Toxicology reports could be instructive if there's some hint that these ladies were drugged in some way."

Nimmo says these documents could provide valuable insight into John Gardner's method of operation, and specifically how he was able to abduct both teens.

"Each of these incidents that have happened and thousands of other ones are all very instructive on how you should construct yourself to avoid harm," Nimmo said.

News 8 has no interest in obtaining autopsy photos, and does not intend to abuse the information, but we are interested in understanding how these crimes occurred, why they happened, how law enforcement reacted in both investigation, how the legal system prosecuted each case and what the community can learn from this tragedy.

"The United States Supreme Court and many courts have ruled that it's important for society to have full and complete reports of crime. That's the only way society can counteract crime," media attorney Guylyn Cummins said.

The district attorney and the sheriff's department says it will honor the families' wishes by not discussing either case with the media.

labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2010, 02:49:00 AM »

I really don't have the time to finish this right now...but wanted to show some of my progress.  I graduate SATURDAY...and I will have more time then.  Here is the link to a quick map that I made of sex crimes (only) reported around the area.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=33.130976&lon=-116.911273&zoom=11&q1=400%20N%20Twin%20Oaks%20Valley%20San%20Marcos%2C%20Ca&q2=200%20Richland%20Rd%20San%20Marcos%2C%20Ca&q3=18448%20W%20Bernardo%20Dr%20San%20Diego%2C%20CA%2092127&gid3=38891760&q4=16400%20West%20Bernardo%20Dr%20San%20Diego%2C%20ca&q5=3800%20mission%20ave%20oceanside%2C%20ca&q6=25400%20lake%20wohlford%20rd%20escondido%2C%20ca&q7=19000%20lake%20dr%20escondido%2C%20ca

A.  Is 2/25/2010 @ 3:11pm
B.  Is 2/25/2010 @ 3:30pm (these two addresses are 5 minutes apart).
C.  Rancho Bernardo Park (13 minutes from B) 2/25/2010 Where Chelsea was at.
D.  2/26/2010 @ 9:35am
E.  2/27/2010 @ 9:00pm (Oceanside)
F.  2/28/2010 @ 1:15pm
G.  Where he was arrested around 4:30pm on the 28th.

I didn't include on Feb. 22, 2010 a sex crime took place very close to Escondido High School.  Also, interesting is the date and place that he received a ticket for speeding (Bonsall) there was a sex crime on 6/12/2010 at 12:01am...30000 old hwy 395--right off of 15. I am not certain of this system, in regards to the reported crimes...they are listed as incidents (not arrests) so I am assuming that these reports are not arrests.  Meaning they may not have a suspect...but, it seems if JAG were committing lots of rapes then more women would be speaking up.  Another thing a sex crime does not mean a rape took place...possibly an attempt...indecent exposure and so on.  It is interesting to look at this system and try and match up incidents with places that we know that he was at.  I truly believe that there are more victims.  Here is the link if anyone wants to use it.  http://mapping.arjis.org

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2010, 07:09:53 PM »

Thanks HB or MB for the delete, i didn't know you could do it or I could request it.

Labubske, it makes you wonder if Gardner really did feel remorse if he went back the next day to do it again and then the day after that. crimereports.com can go back to 10/26/2009 as of today but it doesn't show much. thanks for sharing your research and I hope your graduation day is a good one.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2010, 10:29:08 PM »

I really don't have the time to finish this right now...but wanted to show some of my progress.  I graduate SATURDAY...and I will have more time then.  Here is the link to a quick map that I made of sex crimes (only) reported around the area.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=33.130976&lon=-116.911273&zoom=11&q1=400%20N%20Twin%20Oaks%20Valley%20San%20Marcos%2C%20Ca&q2=200%20Richland%20Rd%20San%20Marcos%2C%20Ca&q3=18448%20W%20Bernardo%20Dr%20San%20Diego%2C%20CA%2092127&gid3=38891760&q4=16400%20West%20Bernardo%20Dr%20San%20Diego%2C%20ca&q5=3800%20mission%20ave%20oceanside%2C%20ca&q6=25400%20lake%20wohlford%20rd%20escondido%2C%20ca&q7=19000%20lake%20dr%20escondido%2C%20ca

A.  Is 2/25/2010 @ 3:11pm
B.  Is 2/25/2010 @ 3:30pm (these two addresses are 5 minutes apart).
C.  Rancho Bernardo Park (13 minutes from B) 2/25/2010 Where Chelsea was at.
D.  2/26/2010 @ 9:35am
E.  2/27/2010 @ 9:00pm (Oceanside)
F.  2/28/2010 @ 1:15pm
G.  Where he was arrested around 4:30pm on the 28th.

I didn't include on Feb. 22, 2010 a sex crime took place very close to Escondido High School.  Also, interesting is the date and place that he received a ticket for speeding (Bonsall) there was a sex crime on 6/12/2010 at 12:01am...30000 old hwy 395--right off of 15. I am not certain of this system, in regards to the reported crimes...they are listed as incidents (not arrests) so I am assuming that these reports are not arrests.  Meaning they may not have a suspect...but, it seems if JAG were committing lots of rapes then more women would be speaking up.  Another thing a sex crime does not mean a rape took place...possibly an attempt...indecent exposure and so on.  It is interesting to look at this system and try and match up incidents with places that we know that he was at.  I truly believe that there are more victims.  Here is the link if anyone wants to use it.  http://mapping.arjis.org

Great map and link, thanks!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2010, 11:36:20 PM »

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/6976969.html
Warrants suggest Calif killer followed 11-year-old
April 26, 2010

L CAJON, Calif. — An 11-year-old girl told police a man followed her home from school the day before registered sex offender John Albert Gardner III raped and murdered a 17-year-old girl in a nearby park, according to search warrants unsealed Monday.

The documents also said two women joggers were convinced they had encountered Gardner on the afternoon of Feb. 25, the day he attacked and killed Chelsea King when she went for a run in the park.

One woman said she was convinced a man she briefly spoke with about coyotes and snakes was Gardner.

Investigators linked Gardner to King's murder through semen found on her underwear, according to the search warrants unsealed in response to a request by The Associated Press and other news organizations.

King's body was discovered in a shallow lakeside grave five days after she vanished.

The warrants said authorities seized 11 shovels, three pickaxes and other digging tools from Gardner's home in Lake Elsinore along with a "Hard Rock Cafe Baghdad" T-shirt and other clothing.

They also found a tool case with black electrical and duct tape in a storage unit in suburban Escondido; black duct tape and a fast-food receipt from Feb. 25 in his girlfriend's car; and several "Hard Rock Cafe" shirts and a shovel at his mother's home in San Diego.

Gardner, 31, pleaded guilty April 16 to raping and murdering King and 14-year-old Amber Dubois, who was abducted while walking to school in Escondido in February 2009.

Gardner had served five years of a six-year prison sentence for molesting a 13-year-old San Diego neighbor in 2000.

The search warrants said the 11-year-old girl told San Diego police on Feb. 24 that a man in a black car slowly drove by and parked as she walked home alone from school in the Rancho Bernardo area. The driver made no effort to speak with her.

A woman then pulled up beside the girl, told her the man looked suspicious, and offered to follow her two blocks to her house. The man then made a U-turn and drove away.

The girl told a family member the man had stared at her before pulling forward, and that she later recognized Gardner from a photo published after his arrest in the death of King.

Investigators then asked her to identify the man from among six photos. She picked two of the pictures, and one was Gardner, according to the documents.

One of the women joggers told investigators she spoke with a man in a "Hard Rock Cafe" T-shirt who was drinking beer and smoking a cigarette when she went for an afternoon run on the day King was attacked.

After Gardner's arrest, she told authorities she was positive he was the man she saw along the running trail.

"The person told her to watch out for the snake and she noticed there was a rattlesnake," the affidavit reads.

The runner, identified as Cindi Jo Stock, spoke with the man again on her way back.

Another runner, Jacquelyn Maxton, also told authorities she saw Gardner that afternoon in a "Hard Rock Cafe Baghdad" T-shirt.

"She was 100 percent positive the person she saw on the trail was the person she saw on television because his haircut and eyes looked exactly the same," the affidavit reads.

The affidavits also describe a Dec. 27 attack on another jogger in the area. Gardner pleaded guilty to attempted rape in that case.

The jogger, Candice Moncayo, reported saying good morning to a man who returned the greeting then tackled her and began to climb on top of her, pinning her shoulders to the ground.

Moncayo screamed for help, believing she was going to be raped. The assailant told her to shut up and she responded, "You're going to have to kill me," according to the documents.

"That can be arranged," her assailant said.

Moncayo, who has spoken publicly about the attack, escaped after striking the man in the nose with her elbow. The affidavit said she felt the crunch of cartilage.

The court documents also said two utility workers saw a man with a girl in a remote area north of San Diego on the morning of Feb. 13, 2009, when Gardner raped and stabbed Dubois, leaving her dead body nearby.

The San Diego Gas & Electric Co. workers came forward after learning authorities were searching for the remains of Dubois near the town of Pala last month.

They recalled seeing a man matching Gardner's description with a girl who looked like Dubois on the day she disappeared. They were near a silver Ford Focus, the car that Gardner drove at the time.

Gardner led authorities to the remains of Dubois after his arrest in King's death. Her identity was confirmed through dental records.

The search warrants show Gardner was registered to live at six Southern California addresses since his release from prison in 2005, in addition to a three-month spell as a transient in 2008.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2010, 08:14:25 AM »

this idiot should have never been out of jail!!

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2010, 07:56:39 PM »

Gardner sentencing moved to May 14

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 4:17 p.m.

SAN DIEGO — Sentencing for John Albert Gardner III, the man convicted of raping and killing North County teenagers Chelsea King and Amber Dubois, has been changed to May 14.

Gardner, 31, pleaded guilty to both murders April 16 and agreed to be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. He also admitted he assaulted a jogger on Dec. 27 with the intent to rape her.

His sentencing hearing had been scheduled for June 1.

Paul Levikow, a spokesman for the District Attorney’s Office, said Tuesday afternoon that the hearing had been moved up, but he did not know the reason why. He said both the prosecution and the defense agreed to change the date.

Deputy District Attorney Kristen Spieler and Deputy Public Defender Michael Popkins did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

Amber’s father, Moe Dubois, said Tuesday that the District Attorney’s Office requested the date change and spoke to him and the King family.

“We told them the sooner the better,” Dubois said.

He said prosecutors were concerned about an apology from Gardner that was reported on KFMB/Channel 8 on Sunday and wanted to limit that kind of information as much as possible.

The television station reported that a source who did not want to be named gave them the apology from Gardner. It was unclear who the apology was for, but the station said it was intended for the families of the slain girls.

Gardner was arrested Feb. 28, just days after Chelsea, 17, of Poway disappeared after going for a run at Rancho Bernardo Community Park. Her body was found a short distance away from the park buried in a shallow grave near Lake Hodges.

Amber, 14, went missing in February 2009 while walking to school at Escondido High. Her remains were found March 6 in a remote area north of Pala.

Prosecutors revealed after Gardner pleaded guilty to both killings that he had led authorities to Amber’s remains.

The plea allowed Gardner to avoid facing the death penalty.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/apr/27/gardner-sentencing-moved-may-14/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2010, 09:32:56 AM »

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/apr/29/chelseas-law-foes-are-riding-into-wind/

Chelsea’s Law foes are riding into wind
Still, fiscal concerns may alter final bill

By Michael Gardner, U-T SACRAMENTO BUREAU

Thursday, April 29, 2010 at 12:04 a.m.

SACRAMENTO — They assembled a few feet across the table from Brent King, close enough to see the pain in his eyes and feel the grief in his voice as he testified for legislation sparked by his daughter’s rape and murder.

His belief, simply, is that violent sex offenders are incurable and should be put away for life so they don’t have the chance that John Albert Gardner III was given to offend again — killing King’s daughter Chelsea, 17, of Poway on Feb. 25.

Opponents of the proposed law say that treatment, research and sentences based on better risk assessments — rather than a blanket approach — are more effective and won’t further prison crowding.

But arguing that in front of King is another matter.

“This isn’t to diminish the pain and suffering of victims of crime. However, theirs should not be the only concern the Legislature should have,” said David Warren, representing Taxpayers for Improving Public Safety, a Sacramento lobby that urges alternatives to building more prisons and extending sentences.

“An advocate for the most despicable is just as important to a democratic society as an advocate who is a white knight,” he said.

The opponents are not carrying the day in Sacramento. Chelsea’s Law enjoys support from the Democratic Assembly speaker and the Republican governor and passed its first committee without opposition last week.

But objections and concerns raised by opponents may ultimately help shape the measure, especially when it’s viewed through the lens of the state’s battered budget.

Through a spokeswoman, the Kings declined to comment for this story.

Robert Coombs is director of public affairs for the California Coalition Against Sexual Assault, which has not yet signed on to support Chelsea’s Law because of many similar concerns. He met privately for nearly two hours with Brent King after the Assembly Public Safety Committee unanimously approved Chelsea’s Law.

“It is incredibly heart-wrenching to speak with someone who lost so much so recently,” Coombs said. “My heart goes out to Mr. King so much that it becomes difficult to get past the looming grief and into the substantive issues,” he said.

Coombs credits King for putting him at ease. “He entered with a very gracious heart,” Coombs said.

Chelsea’s Law would add a one-strike, life-behind-bars sentence for the worst crimes against the youngest victims under 14. Assembly Bill 1844 also strengthens the penalties for other forcible sex crimes against children, depending on the age of the victim and whether serious physical harm was inflicted.

Also, registered sex offenders on parole would be banned from parks without permission of authorities.

A previously convicted child molester, Gardner, 31, is to be sentenced May 14 to two life terms after pleading guilty to killing Chelsea and Amber Dubois, 14, of Escondido.

The Gardner case revealed shortcomings in the state system, from prisons to parole. In response, Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher, R-San Diego, introduced Chelsea’s Law with her parents, Brent and Kelly King, by his side.

Opponents include Francisco Lobaco, legislative director of the American Civil Liberties Union in Sacramento, a 20-year veteran of taking unpopular stands.

“When emotions run high, that’s when it is particularly important to make sure civil liberties and basic constitutional rights are protected,” he said.

Lobaco said he must set aside sympathies for families, particularly when it comes to analyzing legislation and raising points that otherwise could be ignored.

“In this particular case, it’s just to make sure that sentencing policy is rational and proportionate,” Lobaco said.

Coombs says that with some work, the measure could evolve into valuable policy.

But for now, unless the legislation is amended or companion bills are forthcoming, Chelsea’s Law overly emphasizes penalties, he said.

“It’s clearly a bill about punishment, but there will be a huge fiscal impact,” said Coombs, also an appointee of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to the state’s Sex Offender Management Board, which is making recommendations for reform in response to the Gardner case.

Coombs said the state’s priority should be to better identify the risk of offenders to repeat their crimes. He also favors better psychological exams, rehabilitation programs, polygraph tests and increased supervision while on parole.

“These are the things we should be investing in instead of taking the easy route,” Coombs said.

Coombs, Lobaco, Warren and Liberty Sanchez, a lobbyist for the California Public Defenders Association, have been out in front in raising objections, from financial to philosophical. Sanchez did not respond to requests for comment.

Theirs has been a losing cause. But they may have more success as fiscal considerations come into play.

Warren said tougher penalties increase prison costs that, in turn, rob other vital public services, such as schools, libraries, health care and other areas of law enforcement.

He urged rehabilitation while offenders are behind bars and more tools to identify the root causes of crimes against children.

“What we should be doing is treating them before, not punishing them after,” Warren said.

The bill is progressing quickly but is likely to face challenges — for instance, at the Senate Public Safety Committee, which has a long-standing aversion to measures that aggravate prison overcrowding.

The committee chairman, Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, understands that the panel’s policy has cast him as a villain to some victims’ rights advocates.

Leno said the mix of “politics and emotions” over many bills poses a challenge as he makes decisions contrary to the wishes of victims’ family members, such as Brent King.

“What I have come to learn is if one approaches any issue with respect, and constituents believe they are honestly heard, some of the sting is removed,” Leno said.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2010, 09:34:50 AM »

http://www.cbs8.com/

NEWS 8 EXCLUSIVE: He's confessed to two of the most notorious crimes in San Diego County history. Now, John Albert Gardner talks EXCLUSIVELY to News 8. For the first time, Confessed Killer John Gardner: In His Own Words - Thursday, April 29 on News 8 at 5PM, 6:30PM and 11PM.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2010, 06:30:18 PM »

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local-beat/Plea-Deal-Wasnt-Gardners-Idea-Report-92449524.html

Plea Deal Wasn't Gardner's Idea: Report
Updated 2:20 PM PDT, Thu, Apr 29, 2010

Taking life in prison instead of facing the death penalty was not John Gardner’s idea according to a published report.

Gardner, the man who pleaded guilty to raping and murdering Poway teenager Chelsea King in March and Escondido teenager Amber Dubois in February 2009, told a local television station that he had been willing to go to death row.

Amber’s mother Carrie McGonigle, talked with the North County Times Thursday after listening to seven minutes of a recent telephone interview between Gardner and a reporter with KFMB.

She said Gardner told the reporter that the plea deal that kept him from possible execution was not his idea, but was the brainchild of his attorneys.

McGonigle told North County Times reporter Teri Figueroa that she listened to seven minutes of the interview Wednesday evening.

"I think he's trying to get sympathy, playing the victim," McGonigle said. "But he's not a victim."

McGonigle said a news producer at the station told her Gardner, 31, called the station from jail.

McGonigle said Gardner refused to give details of the crimes during the interview; he said he would only share those details with the family.

Amber, 14, disappeared as she walked to Escondido High School about 7 a.m. on Feb. 13, 2009. Her whereabouts remained a mystery for more than a year.

Then on Feb. 25, 2010, Poway High School senior Chelsea King, 17, disappeared during a run on a trail near Lake Hodges.

Authorities arrested Gardner and charged him with killing Chelsea, whose body was found in a shallow grave near a lake tributary on March 2. He was linked to her slaying through DNA.

After his arrest, Gardner confessed to killing Amber as well and led authorities to a shallow grave in Pala where he had buried her.

He pleaded guilty April 16 to the rapes and murders of both North County teens.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2010, 09:36:31 PM »

John Gardner: In His Own Words, Pt. 1 (with audio recording)

SAN DIEGO, Calif. (CBS  - The man who admitted to raping and murdering Chelsea King and Amber Dubois broke his silence in an extended interview with News 8. John Gardner is making stunning allegations and offers new, behind-the-scenes details into his brutal crimes and the plea deal that saved his life.

For more than two hours, News 8 spoke to John Gardner in a recorded telephone interview. We realize this is a very sensitive issue for the families involved, and we did notify them in advance of airing this story.

News 8 got a response from Amber Dubois' mother, and will not be reporting graphic details of the attacks on Chelsea and Amber.

In our interview, Gardner speaks intelligently about the murder case against him, and for the first time he offers to sit down with the families of his victims.

"I was aware of what I was doing, and I could not stop myself. I was in a major rage and pissed off at my whole life and everyone who had hurt me and blew up and hurt the wrong people.

"I hate myself, I really do. There is no taking back what I did, and if I could, yes I would, are you kidding me? But I was out of control. If I was able to stop myself in the middle of it, I would have, and I could not. I was out of control," Gardner said.

Never in our two and a half hour conversation does Gardner go into detail about how he killed his victims. Those answers, he says, will be given only to the girl's families upon their request.

"I'm only answering questions to the family in regards to that stuff, anything involving those two and how things happened and whatever, I will not comment on any of that. I will answer questions to them and them only," he said.

Amber Dubois disappeared on Feb. 13, 2009 at around 7 a.m. as she walked to Escondido High School. Gardner says nothing about his interaction with Amber, but in a passing remark about protecting children by putting more money into schools, he says Amber would still be here if there was a bus schedule.

"If there was a bus schedule still, would amber still be here? Yeah, she would have, if there was a bus, so why don't they put that money toward the schools?" he said.

Gardner would not say if he offered Amber a ride to school. Another question we asked him is if he stalked his victims or if they were picked at random.

"It wasn't about their age with me. I actually didn't go out and look for them. I did not sit and wait for them. I go out and go for walks to calm myself. I'll go for a walk or go for a drive just to calm down," Gardner said.

It's what witnesses say Gardner was doing on Feb. 25, the day he attacked Poway teen Chelsea King near Lake Hodges. DNA tied Gardner to the scene, and he was arrested on Sunday, Feb. 28 for Chelsea's rape and murder. As the search continued for Chelsea's body, Gardner claims he was ready to confess to the murders of both girls.

"On Monday I was trying to get a hold of the attorney, I was going to tell them where she, where Chelsea was, and I was going to tell them where Amber was," he said.

On Tuesday, March 2, search teams found Chelsea's body in a shallow grave. The next day Gardner was arraigned in court for Chelsea's murder.

"As soon as I went to court on Wednesday, I had public defenders in that little box that they always put me in, and when they came after court -- because you have to plead not guilty for some reason to everything before you can even plead guilty, I guess -- I was telling them I just want to plead guilty and want everyone to know how bad that I felt," Gardner said.

Gardner adds that he didn't care if he received the death penalty.

After his arraignment Wednesday, Gardner says he told his public defenders he killed Amber and days later he led investigators to her remains in a remote area of Pala.

"The whole deal of 'Oh we'll take the death penalty off', that was all up on the lawyers and the DA and all that. I told them I don't give a [expletive]. I told them with no promise of taking life off. I had no promises and I showed them where Amber was because I felt bad. I had no promise of any deal when I did that," Gardner said.

But the district attorney says there was an agreement: Gardner taking authorities to Amber's remains would not be held against him in court.

In the following weeks, investigators looked for anything to tie Gardner to the crime scene, but the DA says nothing was found. In the meantime, Gardner says he was becoming increasingly frustrated that Amber's parents had not been told he was the killer.

"They were withholding information of the fact that I showed where she was, and they didn't even let the family know yet. And I was pissed they didn't let the family know.

"The reason why they waited so long to announce anything and to do the plea deal was because they had to give investigators time to try and build a case against me so that they did not have to make a deal. And I said, 'Well that's [expletive]. Let's just go into court and I'll plead guilty and then you guys figure out what you want to do later," Gardner said.

Gardner says he eventually called the state attorney general's office to report everything that was happening behind the scenes.

"I had some issues with what was going on in my case. I was pissed. I was calling the attorney general and they all came down here. My attorneys, both of them, showed up that day that I called the attorney general to report them and they showed up and said, 'What the [expletive] are you doing, blah blah blah. We had the DA call us to tell us to get you to shut the [expletive] up,'" Gardner said.

District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis declined to comment on Gardner's allegations. But former DA Paul Pfingst says Gardner's statements raise major issues.

"It's not the job of the DA to stand between him and law enforcement. It's the job of his defense team, not the prosecution team.

"If John Gardner called up the AG's office and confessed to killing Amber Dubois, and confessed that now he was a serial killer, the chances of him receiving the death penalty would go from high, to extraordinarily high," Pfingst said. "What the public would have to ask is 'Is this what we're having law enforcement do now? Telling serial killers not to talk to us?'"

As far as we know, Gardner never spoke at length with the attorney general's office, and in the end the plea deal went through.

"By accepting this guilty plea, we are obtaining a conviction for the murder of Amber that we would not otherwise have been able to obtain," Dumanis said.

The death penalty was dropped in exchange for Gardner's confession, something Gardner says he was willing to do from the beginning.

"I showed them where everything was. I showed them where [Amber] was before they made a deal," Gardner said.

John Gardner faces life in prison without the possibility of parole, but it doesn't mean he can't face future prosecution.

News 8 asked Gardner if there were any other victims.

"Ha ha, good try," he said.

We showed our full report to Amber's mother Carrie McGonigle in advance of it airing. McGonigle says she does plan on meeting with Gardner in private to get some of her questions answered.

"I was surprised he did an interview so close to sentencing, but he says he'll give us answers and I want answers.

"I find what he says kind of surprising. Like, did he really just want to have the death penalty? He murdered my child, he murdered Chelsea. He could have gotten help, he could have gotten help and he could have come forward, and you know what? Chelsea may still be alive if he would have felt guilty," she said.

Other family members had no comment on our report.

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=12401580
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2010, 09:49:16 PM »

John Gardner: In His Own Words, Pt. 2

SAN DIEGO, Calif. (CBS Cool - John Gardner says he was never trying to avoid the death penalty, in an exclusive interview with News 8.

Gardner showed remorse for his victims, and thumbed his nose at the death penalty when he spoke to News 8 from his jail cell. And for the first time, we're learning more about the plea deal that saved his life.

News 8 asked Gardner why he admitted to killing Chelsea King and Amber Dubois.

"Why would I drag it out? Why would I put those families through going through court and looking at all the evidence, and having them sit there and having the DA's, my lawyer, throw it up in their face?" Gardner said.

Gardner never goes into detail about how he killed 14-year-old Amber Dubois or 17-year-old Chelsea King, but he does say that as soon as he was arrested for Chelsea's murder he was ready to confess his involvement in Amber's death so her parents could also have closure.

"They sat wondering for a year. It just ate me up every single day. I have nightmares of them, and I'm sitting here feeling all this guilt for so long and it finally just caught up.

"I was telling them that I just wanted to plead guilty and I want everyone to know I have, how bad I felt and everything, and that I tried to get help beforehand," Gardner said.

When District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis came clean about who led investigators to Amber's remains, she said an agreement was made: Gardner shows investigators where the body is, and it won't be held against him in court. Despite more than a month of investigation, Dumanis told reporters they were unable to prove Gardner murdered Amber.

"There was no DNA and no evidence obtained in the search warrants that connected him to Amber's murder," Dumanis said.

But Gardner says all the evidence they needed was already behind bars, waiting to talk. He was willing to confess before the backroom deal was made.

"The whole deal of 'Oh we'll take the death penalty off', that was all up on the lawyers and the DA and all that. I told them I don't give a [expletive]. I told them with no promise of taking life off. I had no promises and I showed them where Amber was because I felt bad. I had no promise of any deal when I did that," Gardner said.

Gardner also claims that a large-scale search at Kit Carson Park in Escondido was a ruse so the media wouldn't find out he was leading detectives to Amber's body near Pala.

"You guys were given a false report to supposedly go to Kit Carson Park, so all of the media was trying to scour over Kit Carson Park when we went up there," he said. "I was en route, I saw your helicopters."

Gardner now faces life in prison, instead of the death penalty, but he's still not convinced that's the best option.

"If I got the death penalty I would be sitting in a single cell for 25 to 30 years before they ever decided to give me the death penalty. Now, with the sentence I have I'm going to be dead within the next five years," he said.

Out of respect for the families, we did tell Chelsea and Amber's parents about our interview with John Gardner. The Kings had no comment, and neither did Amber's father Maurice Dubois. But Amber's mother asked to watch our story before it aired, and gave her reaction.

"I was surprised he did an interview so close to sentencing, but he says he'll give us answers and I want answers," she said. "He said he wanted us to know, why did he wait 13 months? Because he got caught. He could have called the anonymous tip line if he felt so bad and given us some closure. So I found that hard to believe that he felt so bad, because he watched us suffer for a year and I'm sure he watched us."

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=12401882
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2010, 08:55:22 PM »

http://interceder.net/news/chelsea-king  good link to go to for news articles, videos.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2010, 01:00:30 AM »

Here is another traffic stop...searching the different counties in CA now. 

Case LL015123JG Defendant 2510431 GARDNER III, JOHN ALBERT

Filed Charges
Count    Charge    Severity    Description    Violation Date    Plea    Status
1    VC I21453(A)    I    VEHICLE STOP ON RED SIGNAL    12/12/2006    GUILTY    CONVICTED

Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2010, 03:34:55 PM »

They just showed on Foxnews national that the sentencing will be today.   It showed Amber's mom confronting Gardner's mother about seeing him before his sentencing....lordie.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Media/amber-dubois-mom-talk-killer-john-gardner-gave/story?id=10646423&page=1

This monster isnt feeling an guilt whatsoever, not judging by that smirk on his face - he just spared his own life by admitting to his heinous acts & being anger his whole life....boo friggin boo hoo

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2010, 04:06:47 PM »

FYI Klaas is posting screen shots and updates on the sentancing in the Amber Dubois thread.

Prayers for you today Chelsea, RIP, I am so relieved to know today you will be awarded justice.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2010, 06:58:34 PM »

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/14/victim-families-say-gardner-will-burn-hell/

Victim families: Gardner will 'burn in hell'
Judge sentences the killer to three life sentences

By Matthew T. Hall, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 3:09 p.m.

John Albert Gardner III’s victims had their say in court today, reading prepared statements that were heavy on loss and anger.

Six people in all tried to articulate the toll Gardner’s violence took on their lives, many of them saying he would burn in hell as part of his punishment and criticizing the system that let such heinous crimes take place.

Brent and Kelly King, the parents of murdered Poway 17-year-old Chelsea King, also directed some of their anger at Gardner’s father, largely absent from his life, and his mother, who they said should have acted to protect the community during the year between Amber’s disappearance and Chelsea’s death.

“Your mother, Cathy Osborne, knew what you were capable of and did nothing to protect us from you,” Brent King said. “She knew who you were after you violently beat and tried to rape that poor 13-year-old girl a decade ago.”

Gardner served five years in prison for that 2000 beating and molesting of a former Rancho Bernardo neighbor and spent three years on parole.

Carrie McGonigle, mother of murdered Escondido 14-year-old Amber Dubois, said she wished she could have traded places with her daughter the morning of her abduction so she could have fought off Gardner.

Gardner largely cast his eyes downward and sat grim-faced, taking deep breaths throughout the hourlong hearing in which he was sentenced to life in prison without parole.

But he reacted twice to what was said to him, once when the mother of murder victim Chelsea King, 17, of Poway, urged him to “Look at me” and once when a woman he assaulted prompted his only words of the day.

Candice Moncayo, the 22-year-old jogger who was assaulted by Gardner in December but escaped after elbowing him in the face, ended her tearful remarks, saying, “I came here today ... finally, to ask him how his nose is.”

Gardner immediately appeared agitated and while whispering to his attorney said, “She did it for publicity.”

Gardner was formally sentenced to serve three consecutive life terms in prison without parole, plus an additional 24 years, for raping and killing Amber in February 2009 and Chelsea a year later, and for assaulting Moncayo. No one spoke on his behalf.

Amber’s father, Moe Dubois, said he hopes Gardner suffers for a long time and also used his statement to criticize the system.

“It’s obvious the legal system failed us here, with all of the missed opportunities that ultimately allowed this monster to stalk our streets and harm our loved ones,” he said.

“He will burn in hell for the acts he has committed,” he said. “I just hope that day is an agonizingly long way away and that he will have to suffer as much as well have, actually more.”

David Cave, McGonigle’s former boyfriend, also spoke on Amber’s behalf, decrying the selfish acts and savage actions of Gardner that affected so many. Echoing other speakers, he said Amber inspires him still.

That was a running theme through the comments of Kelly King, Chelsea’s mother.

“I miss and mourn for Chelsea more deeply than one can ever imagine except for my son and husband,” Kelly King said. “The three of us, and millions of others, will never let Chelsea’s light go out.”

The last to speak, she concluded, “You no longer exist. My daughter will always exist. While your name will be quickly forgotten, hers won’t. You have not defeated me. I will carry on my daughter’s beautiful spirit with pride and purpose.”
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.