March 28, 2024, 10:47:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chelsea King, 17, Msg. 2-25-2010 Rancho Bernadino CA (BODY FOUND) #2  (Read 85261 times)
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »

This is from facebook....sorry if it has already been psoted

Chelsea's Light Victim Impact Statements:

Brent: http://tinyurl.com/35kpmqb
Kelly: http://tinyurl.com/2f357e2

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2010, 10:05:20 PM »

This is from facebook....sorry if it has already been psoted

Chelsea's Light Victim Impact Statements:

Brent: http://tinyurl.com/35kpmqb
Kelly: http://tinyurl.com/2f357e2
Thank-you  an angelic monkey Both parents were wonderful, but Mrs King was awesome. May the family get some peace, though I'm very sure there is no way how to  Makes me ill the way that monster sat there, doesn't even deserve to waste the air of decent people.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2010, 05:03:30 PM »

Panel answers questions on Chelsee King case        5.17.10

Lt. Dennis Brugos started the panel discussion today, and answered questions regarding the events surrounding Chelsea King.

Although many questions were answered with no comment, there was some information that came to light.

Brugos said that during an extensive search on February 26, that a pair of underwear and a sock was found with a small amount of blood on it. The clothing was later identified to belong to Chelsea King. The clothing was brought to the lab and through DNA they were able to match it to convicted sex offender John Gardner.

Contrary to what Gardner said during a phone interview with a local TV station, the search at Kit Carson Park was not a ruse to keep the media away while the police went to the other location.

Brugos said that deputies were driving Gardner to identify the locate where Amber was buries at the same time that Escondido police were searching for a body that was reported in a bag in the pond at Kit Carson Park. No body was ever discovered.

http://www.examiner.com/x-18953-San-Diego-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m5d17-Panel-answers-questions-on-Chelsee-King-case

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2010, 03:04:49 PM »

I think I'll start a thread in Unsolved Crimes RE: Possible John Gardner Victims...that way we won't clog Chelsea's and Amber's thread with 'possible crimes'...I'll be back to post the link.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2010, 03:09:02 PM »

Topic: John Albert Gardner III ... More Victims??? 

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=7869.new#new

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2010, 04:30:51 PM »

Topic: John Albert Gardner III ... More Victims??? 

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=7869.new#new
Thanks  an angelic monkey
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2010, 01:36:19 PM »

CHELSEA'S LAW

I was just down at my local grocer store.  There were people with a petition for Chelsea's Law which of course I signed.  I happened to run into my aunt there and told her to sign too.  I'm not crazy about being stopped going into the grocery store to sign a petition but this time it didn't bother me at all.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2010, 04:16:49 PM »

Chelsea King's Family Moving Back to Illinois

Last Update: 6/18 11:36 pm
POWAY, Calif. (AP) -- The family of slain California teen Chelsea King says they are moving back to Illinois.

In a letter posted Friday on the website chelseaslight.org, Brent and Kelly King and their 13-year-old son Tyler said they will move next month to Naperville, Illinois, where they lived for 10 years before coming to the San Diego suburb of Poway in 2007.

Brent King wrote that after the emotional turmoil that followed 17-year-old Chelsea's murder the family wanted to return to a place where Tyler could have both familiar surroundings and anonymity.

Convicted sex offender John Albert Gardner III has pleaded guilty to the murders of Chelsea and 14-year-old Amber Dubois. He was sentenced to life in prison.
http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Chelsea-Kings-Family-Moving-Back-to-Illinois/d-ZQlgQa9km2s2jPGqm3bQ.cspx

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2010, 09:30:08 PM »

Chelsea King's Family Moving Back to Illinois

Last Update: 6/18 11:36 pm
POWAY, Calif. (AP) -- The family of slain California teen Chelsea King says they are moving back to Illinois.

In a letter posted Friday on the website chelseaslight.org, Brent and Kelly King and their 13-year-old son Tyler said they will move next month to Naperville, Illinois, where they lived for 10 years before coming to the San Diego suburb of Poway in 2007.

Brent King wrote that after the emotional turmoil that followed 17-year-old Chelsea's murder the family wanted to return to a place where Tyler could have both familiar surroundings and anonymity.

Convicted sex offender John Albert Gardner III has pleaded guilty to the murders of Chelsea and 14-year-old Amber Dubois. He was sentenced to life in prison.
http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Chelsea-Kings-Family-Moving-Back-to-Illinois/d-ZQlgQa9km2s2jPGqm3bQ.cspx

Bless the King family, and I hope they will know peace in their lives again.  Not only was Chelsea a victim of John Gardner, the entire family has been victimized by this monster.  This has got to be unbelievably difficult for Tyler.  Prayers for the King Family. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2010, 10:42:59 PM »

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/inland_empire&id=7577895
(With Video)
Riverside bolsters tracking of sex offenders
July 27, 2010
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Riverside County supervisors on Tuesday approved an enhanced plan to track all registered sex offenders before they strike again. Residents will now be notified when a sex offender moves nearby.

The idea for the plan came in the wake of the Amber Dubois and Chelsea King cases.

Residents who sign up for the program will receive an e-mail or postcard when a sex offender moves into their neighborhood.

The program is called SPIRIT, which stands for Sexual Predator Identification in Riverside County through Internet Tracking. It was spearheaded by Supervisor Jeff Stone.

"Anybody that's going to come here is going to face the scrutiny of our county district attorney, our Sheriff's department, our code enforcement, and we're going to be monitoring them," Stone said.

Spirit will be run through the district attorney's office and goes much further than the current Megan's Law system, supporters said. It will list the exact address of every sex offender in the county.

Some of the new rules state that a sex offender:

Cannot live within 2,000 feet of a school, park or child care center.
Cannot loiter within 300 feet of a school, park, or child care center.
Cannot live with one or more sex offenders in a home or apartment.
The district attorney's office will now maintain an online map pinpointing the homes of convicted sex offenders.

Moe Dubois, father of Amber Dubois, spoke in favor of the changes.

"Riverside County is on the forefront of their policies, their procedures, their SAFE team task force," he said. "It's cutting edge as far as what we have in this state."

Last week, the community of Good Hope was in uproar over the possibility of convicted murdered Donald Schmidt being moved to a halfway house in the area. The 37-year-old was convicted of sodomizing and drowning a 3-year-old girl in a bathtub in the 1980s.

Schmidt would not have had to register as a sex offender because the sex crime was later overturned.

The D.A.'s office, along with the board of supervisors, fought the possibility of Schmidt moving there. It apparently worked because he will not be moving into the area.

Sex offenders are still a hot-button issue in Riverside County, especially after the body of missing Moreno Valley teen Norma Lopez was found. One of the theories is that she was attacked by a sex predator.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2010, 10:16:46 PM »

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-08-02/news/22007139_1_offender-management-board-child-molesters-crimes
California lawmakers to take up Chelsea's Law
August 2, 2010

(snip)
Elected leaders, wary of accusations that they were being soft on sexual predators, have historically stayed clear of reforming such laws, except to make them harsher.

But this week, Sacramento lawmakers will take up a measure that has been greatly revised since its introduction earlier this year to include provisions such as ongoing treatment for sex offenders and sentences tailored to the severity of a crime.
(snip)
ackers say the changes to AB1844 would focus the state's limited resources on the worst child molesters and will make great strides toward fixing how California deals with people found guilty of sex crimes - even if, at first glance, some of its provisions appear to ease restrictions for some convicted criminals. Perhaps just as unusual - the revised bill is the result of a rare bipartisan collaboration.

The proposal is called Chelsea's Law, after a San Diego teen killed by a registered sex offender in February. Like many legislative responses to horrific crimes against children, it began as a punitive measure that would have increased the sentences and parole terms given to child molesters.

The changes made last month include tailoring those sentencing and parole requirements to specific crimes, instead of taking a one-size-fits-all approach. It would match treatment approaches to ongoing assessments of offenders, and it would use polygraph tests for parolees.

The measure still doesn't tackle what many experts consider one of the biggest failures of current sex offender law: restrictions on how close convicted sex offenders can live to places like parks and schools. That restriction has forced thousands of parolees into homelessness, which critics say actually hurts public safety because the offenders become harder to track.

However, the newly proposed changes do conform with many of the other recommendations that the state's own experts - the California Sex Offender Management Board - have made for years.
(snip)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2010, 10:19:21 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:42:41 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/aug/11/lawmakers-clear-bill-to-seal-child-autopsies/
Lawmakers clear bill to seal child autopsies
Homicide victims' privacy cited
August 11, 2010

SAN DIEGO | The privacy rights of parents of slain children won over the rights of the public to review autopsies in a landslide vote Wednesday in the California state Senate.

The Deceased Child Victims' Protection and Privacy Act, authored by Sen. Dennis Hollingsworth, San Diego Republican, is marked "urgent" and has moved rapidly through the Senate since the slayings of two teenage girls from the San Diego area. The bill won Senate approval in a 29-1 vote Wednesday and now heads for the Assembly.

The bill was introduced after the deaths of 17-year-old Chelsea King of Poway and 14-year-old Amber Dubois of Escondido, whose remains were discovered in March. Registered sex offender John Albert Gardner III was convicted of the murders and sentenced in May to life without parole.

"I believe we have found a fitting balance between protecting the privacy of families while creating a necessary system of checks and balances," Mr. Hollingsworth said.

"I am very pleased the bill has received strong support and that my colleagues have listened to the families of these murdered children."
Sen. Leland Yee, a Democrat who represents San Francisco and San Mateo counties, was the lone vote against it, and eight senators did not vote.

Mr. Yee is the Senate's assistant president pro tem and co-authored San Francisco's open government and sunshine ordinance.

"If the public really understood this issue, they would understand his perspective," said Yee spokesman Adam Keigwin.

"Sen. Yee is one of the strongest supporters of open government. He sympathizes with the parents, but the alternative is potentially more harmful.

If this bill passes, the press won't be able to provide any scrutiny of autopsies. There could be a parent involved in the death of a child and they could be trying to hide that autopsy information," he said.
Senate Bill 982 would allow biological or adoptive parents, spouses or legal guardians of anyone younger than 18 statewide to seal autopsies and related evidence from public inspection in cases of homicide.

That evidence could include writings, DVDs or computer information collected during autopsies.

The bill allows for certain family members to ask for a court hearing if they oppose the information being sealed.

The measure would not cover children who are dependents of the court and would be applied only after someone has been sentenced in the killing.
(snip)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2010, 10:24:41 PM »

http://caivn.org/article/2010/08/11/amending-chelseas-law-make-it-more-cost-effective
Amending Chelsea's Law to make it more cost-effective
August 11, 2010

(snip)
To save on corrections spending, the bill has been amended to say that most offenders convicted of a repeat petty theft would be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in county jail. They would have to be convicted of petty theft four times before they could be sent to state prison for a longer sentence."

The Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation estimated that reclassifying the penalty for petty theft to a lesser, misdemeanor charge would have kept more than 940 thieves out of prison over a recent 12-month period. This would have saved the state close to $50 million.

Karen Pank, spokeswoman for the California State Sheriff's Association said her organization is worried that these changes might worsen county jail overcrowding. Despite these concerns, the association still supports Fletcher's bill.

Recommendations from the state's Sex Offender Management Board have also been included in the bill. Stipulations such as the routine use of polygraph exams and a risk assessment approach to individual cases have been inserted to improve the monitoring of paroled sex offenders.

The hope is that such reforms will cut corrections costs by reducing the number of re-offenders.

Chelsea's Law takes its name from Chelsea King, a 17-year-old Poway girl who was raped and murdered earlier this year. John Gardner, a convicted child molester, confessed to killing King and another San Diego County resident, 14-year-old Amber Dubois. Gardner is currently serving a life sentence.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2010, 10:27:50 PM »

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/aug/13/calif-senate-take-chelseas-law/
Calif. Senate to take up 'Chelsea's Law'
Law would put worst sex offenders behind bars for life

August 13, 2010

SAN DIEGO – "Chelsea's Law," which would incarcerate California's worse sex offenders for life without parole, heads to the state senate floor next week after the measure unanimously passed in a state Senate committee Thursday.

Authored by San Diego Republican Nathan Fletcher, Assembly Bill 1844 would also increase parole terms for offenders who target children younger than 14 and provide a containment model and risk assessment that could keep mentally disordered offenders in prison longer if deemed necessary.
(snip)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2010, 10:29:24 PM »

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/2598828,CST-NWS-chelsea15.article
Murdered girl's family returns to Naperville
After Calif. tragedy, 'It was like walking into a great big hug'

August 14, 2010

The parents of Chelsea King, a former Naperville teen who was murdered in the San Diego area by a paroled sex offender, have returned to DuPage County to raise their son.

Kelly and Brent King moved from Naperville to San Diego in 2007.

They said they returned to their old neighborhood in Naperville mostly for their son, Tyler, 14. The heavy media attention after Chelsea was killed in California took a toll on them there, they said.

"I can't imagine raising my children anywhere else," Kelly King said of Naperville.

"It was like walking into a great big hug. [Tyler] is probably the happiest we've seen him in a very long time," she said.

"We wanted to immerse Tyler back in his area of safety," Brent King added.

The murder of their 17-year-old daughter is the driving force behind Chelsea's Law, a proposal that includes a one-strike provision for the most violent sex offenders; lengthier prison terms for forcible sex crimes, and restrictions on sex offenders' ability to enter parks.

The Kings' five-month campaign to toughen legislation governing convicted sex offenders advanced significantly last week when the bill passed out of a California state Senate committee. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has endorse the bill.

The Kings plan to lobby for similar legislation elsewhere, envisioning Chelsea's Law in all 50 states.

Before Chelsea was killed, Kelly King said she took it for granted that the law would protect her family.

"Be aware. Don't be comfortable," she advised parents. "This happened to us in a community where no one thought it could happen."

The couple are painfully aware that Chelsea's friends are headed off to college soon.

Whenever he is around people Chelsea's age, Brent King says, he feels hurt -- but he also gets a little bit of his daughter back.

"I'll trade the pain for that joy," he said.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2010, 01:34:27 PM »

http://www.10news.com/news/24937886/detail.html

Gov. Schwarzenegger To Sign Chelsea's Law Today
Governor Will Sign Bill In Balboa Park

POSTED: 4:56 am PDT September 9, 2010
UPDATED: 9:50 am PDT September 9, 2010
SAN DIEGO -- A special 5-mile-long message in honor of slain Poway High teenager Chelsea King will appear briefly high in the sky above the Inland Corridor Thursday.

At 3:30 p.m., Worldwide Sky Advertising will write out a message that "celebrates the love the San Diego community has shown for Chelsea, and the King family's love for the San Diego community," said family spokeswoman Sara Muller Fraunces.

The message comes the same day Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger will be at Spreckels Organ Pavilion in Balboa Park to sign legislation named for Chelsea. Brent and Kelly King, Chelsea's parents, will be present for the morning signing event, along with the bill's author, Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher, R-San Diego.

Assembly Bill 1844, also known as Chelsea's Law, requires a life sentence without the possibility of parole for forcible sex acts against minors. It would also tighten sex offense parole guidelines and require lifelong tracking of certain sex offenders.

Today's skywriting message was arranged by Padres announcer Mark Grant and friends of the King family, and underwritten by an anonymous donor, according to the spokeswoman. It will for sure be visible from Poway High School, where Chelsea would have graduated last June had she not been raped and murdered by sex offender John Albert Gardner III on Feb. 25.

The Kings and their extended family planned to view today's skywriting privately from a hilltop spot somewhere in Poway.

Pilot Greg Stinis will spend about 10 minutes writing out the message over 5 miles, Fraunces said, adding that each character will be as tall as the Empire State Building.

Gardner, 31, was sentenced in May to two life terms without parole for murdering and sexually assaulting Chelsea and for abducting, raping and fatally stabbing 14-year-old Amber Dubois of Escondido a year earlier.

A package of bills promoted by Amber's father that are intended to improve law enforcement handling of missing person cases also await the governor's signature.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2010, 07:06:33 PM »

Thought we already knew this, but it is dated today

Chelsea's Law parents spread idea for 'one-strike' sex law

ESCONDIDO, Calif. | As the first case to be prosecuted under California's new "one-strike" sex offender law is processed, the parents of slain San Diego County teen Chelsea King are beginning to work toward passage of similar laws in Colorado, Florida, Ohio and Texas.

Chelsea's Law, named after their daughter, places greater restrictions on paroled offenders and keeps behind bars for life those who have committed violent crimes against children under age 14. It swept through the legislature in about three months during budget season this year in a rare display of fervent bipartisan support.

California Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher, author of Chelsea's Law, is co-chairman of an exploratory committee evaluating other states to see whether they are "a good fit" for similar measures.

"Some states may have some parts of Chelsea's Law already in place," said Mr. Fletcher. "When we put together Chelsea's Law we looked around the country to see what other states were doing so we could come up with the best piece of legislation we could. We're looking for willing legislators."

Since the law took effect earlier this month, a 55-year-old Lakeside man has been charged with the one-strike offense and felony counts of lewd acts against a 9-year-old boy. If convicted, the man could receive 25 years to life in prison.

Several other bills related to the deaths of Chelsea and 14-year-old Amber Dubois are awaiting Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's signature. Together, the bills would provide a quicker response when children go missing, allow for more specialized training for law enforcement who work on such cases, and offer parents of slain children an opportunity to seal autopsy-related information.

Two dozen media outlets asked for the autopsy results of both girls. Amber didn't arrive at school on Feb. 13, 2009. Her remains were found on an isolated hillside in Pala in March. Chelsea went jogging in a Rancho Bernardo park in February, and the 17-year-old's body was found along a nearby lakeshore a few days later. John Gardner was convicted in both slayings.

A gag order was in place during the investigations, pending a possible trial but the cases were later concluded with confessions and a plea bargain that let Gardner avoid the death penalty.

After the judge lifted the gag order, law enforcement stayed silent until after Gardner was sentenced in May. A press conference held a few days later still didn't provide the information reporters wanted, such as what exactly happened on the day Gardner reportedly led investigators to Amber's remains.

"We were asked not to talk about the case," Sheriff Bill Gore said at the press conference. A spokesman for District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis said that after the gag order was lifted, Ms. Dumanis asked law enforcement to respect the victims' privacy.

Escondido Police Department, which investigated Amber's disappearance as part of a task force of agencies, has said that during the time it was under a gag order, it was not able to dispel reported and rumored "myths" about the case.

Among the "myths," said spokesman Capt. Bob Benton, was that Amber was investigated as a runaway. A police report on Amber shows that she was listed as a missing juvenile at risk, with unknown circumstances.

One controversial aspect of the case was a canine search conducted by a volunteer team called VK9, an organization based in Virginia. In August 2009, the dogs appeared to lead their handlers 20 miles north of Amber's home to Pala, less than two miles away from where Amber's remains were eventually found. Escondido police followed up by having another organization take their bloodhounds to Pala but those dogs were not able to verify the VK9 efforts.

Interviews conducted by The Washington Times with several law enforcement agencies in other states who have used VK9's dogs indicate that the team's work is considered highly credible in a variety of aged scent and vehicle trail situations, although none of the trails referenced was as old as Amber's would have been.

Also on the Escondido Police Department's list of "myths" is that Amber's mother, Carrie McGonigle, had a live-in boyfriend at the time, Dave Cave, who was a suspect in the crime.

"We can never say that we suspect or don't suspect a family," Capt. Benton said. "In any investigation, we have to keep an open mind all the way through."

Though it was reported initially that the two passed polygraph tests, police later reworded their response and said that Mr. Cave's polygraphs were "inconclusive" at first, then later deemed not to "show any signs of deception," Capt. Benton said.

Public access to some information in the cases has been denied by San Diego County under the California Public Records Act. The county also is referencing a state constitutional amendment, known as Marsy's Law, which is intended to reduce the number of parole hearings of convicted murderers, but which the county is interpreting more broadly.

"Marsy's Law is designed to preserve and protect a victim's rights to justice and to be treated with fairness and respect for his or her privacy and dignity and to be free from intimidation, harassment and abuse throughout the criminal justice process," said Ms. Dumanis.

But Terry Francke, general counsel for Cal-Aware, a First Amendment issues organization, disagreed, saying, "As terribly sad as their lives may have been made, the survivors of homicide victims do not own the facts about the crime any more than the government does. It is particularly cynical and cruel of the law enforcement bureaucracy to suggest to the families that their 'dignity' somehow depends on keeping the rest of the community in the dark."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/sep/26/chelseas-law-parents-idea-one-strike-sex-law/

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2010, 10:37:18 PM »

did anyone see either Dateline or 20/20 over the weekend about Chelsea and Amber and John Gardner? It was really good! Amber's mother went face to face with Gardner and wanted to know facts of what happened to her daughter..She is a warrior that is for sure....Brave woman!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2010, 06:03:42 PM »

http://gltnewsnow.com/2010/10/01/governor-signs-kehoe%E2%80%99s-bill-to-allow-self-defense-training-for-teenagers/
Governor signs Kehoe’s bill to allow self-defense training for teenagers
October 1, 2010

SAN DIEGO – Sen. Christine Kehoe (D-San Diego) announced today that the governor signed into law her bill to allow self-defense training for California middle and high school students, in response to the abduction and death of San Diego teenagers Chelsea King and Amber Dubois.

“Despite the progress women and girls have made over the last 30 years, they remain targets of sexual assault and other acts of brutality – as illustrated by the deaths of Chelsea and Amber,” Kehoe said.  “The reality is that women and girls must always be vigilant in protecting themselves, and this new law will help train them to ward off potential attackers.”

The law, SB 1290, allows school districts to provide self-defense training as part of the standard physical education curriculum for students in grades 7-12.  Previous state law permitted such instruction for students only in grades 10-12.  The new law is neither a mandate for school districts nor does it stipulate how the course must be taught.  SB 1290 enjoys the support of San Diego Unified School District .

In December 2009, a young woman trained in self-defense fought off John Gardner, the man convicted of killing King and Dubois, in the same area in San Diego where King was later murdered.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.