March 28, 2024, 12:33:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VCU foreign exchange student Jonathan S. Dorey missing- last seen 3/02/10  (Read 25308 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »

Body found at Rocketts Landing, but Police don't think it's Jonathan
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/body_found_in_james_river_near_rocketts_landing/347926/

I'll wait for a coroners report...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 08:10:09 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2010, 09:07:29 PM »

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=12567845

Corpse discovered floating near Rocketts Landing
Posted: May 30, 2010 1:22 PM PDT Updated: May 30, 2010 2:33 PM PDT

By: Yvette Yeon - bio | email

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - It all unfolded around 2:00 Sunday afternoon.

Police were called to Rocketts Way near Old Main Street along the river.

When they arrived, they found a body in the marina.

A memorial weekend horror for families out enjoying the James.

"It's a beautiful place here," said visitor Debbie Talley. "People live and work here and that's the last thing you hope to have happen anywhere."

Police say a person walking by spotted the body and immediately called for help.

Criminal investigators and water rescue crews don't believe the body has been there too long.

"Obviously with all the activity with the Memorial Day weekend going on and people being around the boats, no I'm pretty sure the body has not been where its located for long," said Henrico Police Lt. Tom Slayton.

Spectators watched from the waters edge and from up high with binoculars as the body bag made it ashore.

Area residents say this won't keep them from coming back.

"We love living at Rocketts this is truly an isolated event," said resident Autumn Burnette. "It's unfortunate that this is the location this happened, but I think it's very isolated."

Authorities say it's too early to make any calls as to what happened.

Also no word if the body is male or female, or if foul play was involved.

We'll have the very latest on this tonight at 11:00 p.m.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2010, 09:10:15 PM »

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-henrico-county-james-river-body-20100530,0,7954111.story

Body Found In The James River
Henrico Police trying to determine who it is.

Jennifer Carr Producer

May 30, 2010
Body Found In The James River
HENRICO - Henrico Police are investigating after a body was discovered floating in the James River Sunday afternoon. Police say they got a call around 2 p.m. for a body floating in the river near Rockett's Landing and Old Main Street. When rescue crews arrived, they discovered the victim was deceased, but had not been in the water for very long. At this point, police are not releasing any details about the age or sex of the victim.

Stay with CBS 6 for updates on this developing story.
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2010, 12:31:07 PM »

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/crime/article/BODYGAT02_20100601-101601/348207/

Man found in James River was Henrico slaying suspect
By Staff Reports
Published: June 1, 2010
Updated: June 1, 2010 10:49 AM
The body of a man found Sunday in the James River near Rocketts Landing has been identified as Hassan Ibrahim Ahmad Al-Sari, who had been wanted by Henrico County police in Saturday's fatal shooting of a Richmond woman.

Al-Sari's body was recovered near the Rocketts Landing marina about 2 p.m.

Henrico police Lt. Eric Owens said the state medical examiner's office has not yet notified investigators of Al-Sari's cause of death. A spokesman at the office couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

Henrico authorities had been seeking Al-Sari, 50, in the slaying of Kate L. Johnson, 40, of the 2200 block of Fourth Avenue in Richmond, who was found with multiple gunshot wounds about 10:45 p.m. Saturday in front of the Clarion Hotel in the 5200 block of Williamsburg Road in eastern Henrico. She later died at VCU Medical Center.

Police have not released a motive for the killing but Johnson's sisters told a Richmond television station that Al-Sari and Johnson were once romantically involved.

2 4 1
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2010, 01:52:59 PM »

FBI assisting in search for missing VCU student Jonny Dorey
By Staff Reports | Times-Dispatch
Published: July 08, 2010

Richmond, Va. -- The FBI is involved in the search for Jonathan S. Dorey, a Virginia Commonwealth University exchange student who disappeared more than four months ago, a VCU spokesman confirmed today.

A search was conducted yesterday and last week of the James River near Rocketts Landing, the same area where authorities discovered some of Dorey's belongings March 24 on the river's north bank, said spokesman Mike Porter.

Porter released the following statement:

"VCU police consulted with the FBI, which provided additional resources to do a more complete search of the river bottom in the same area that was searched in the past. The area was searched last week and again (yesterday). VCU police continue to use all available resources in the hope of providing closure to the Dorey family."

Porter declined to further discuss the searches or the FBI's involvement.

An FBI spokeswoman could not immediately be reached.

Dorey, a 22-year-old exchange student from a small island in the English Channel, was last seen March 2 leaving his VCU dorm with his bicycle. Investigators have said they suspect no foul play.

VCU police have said that a witness reported seeing a man matching Dorey's description swimming in the river on the afternoon that he disappeared.

-- Reed Williams

2 4 1
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2010, 02:25:58 PM »

I have a few recently found bodies in VA, but nothing is matching up and some I have no more info on, other than 'body found'...I'll keep a look out.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2010, 04:53:42 PM »

I have a few recently found bodies in VA, but nothing is matching up and some I have no more info on, other than 'body found'...I'll keep a look out.

Thank you Nut. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2010, 05:05:36 PM »

No problem........ I know it is difficult for many to think of those 'missing' as dead, but it is a reality I see every day...unfortunately.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2010, 02:06:40 PM »

Mother of Jonny Dorey tells why she believes her son took his own life

The family of a Guernsey student who went missing six months ago say they now believe he took his own life.

In an emotional interview with Channel Television, Jonny Dorey's mum says no one knew at the time how unhappy he was, and how much he was struggling with depression.

Jonny was studying in the United States when he went missing. His body has never been found and police are still investigating his disappearance.

Debbie Dorey said: "Jonny was suffering from mental depression, and we think he took his own life. He loved Guernsey that's why it's so hard for us not to have found his body to bring him home. You can't survive without your family and your friends, absolutely not, and I haven't been [that] easy to live with understandably. I think it's out in the open now that we do now know Jonny was suffering from mental depression and we think he took his own life, which, it's even worse than losing a son. You know, you think they're alright. Outwardly he was alright but underneath he had terrible, terrible depression and that's what was such a shock to all his friends really because it was so unexpected. [It's] unbearable for me as a mother. I'm still on a lot of medication just to keep going but I'm a person who keeps busy anyway and I think I've been keeping busy all my life so I haven't stopped this summer. But it's just, you've just got to be occupied really. Occupy your mind and occupy yourself just to keep going."

Debbie Dorey's now urging young people who are also suffering from the illness, to speak out and find help.

She said: "He was out all the time. He wasn't sat looking morose or anything so you just didn't think he was suffering like that. But please talk to your children about their emotions, their feelings because I feel I could have now. [Of] course in hindsight I could have done a lot more but Simon probably looked the same to me as Jonny but he's totally fine. You don't know what's going on in people's heads. Instead of talking to somebody to help him he bottled it all up and that's why I want people in Guernsey to know that if you know if you're worrying about something, especially young men, please talk to someone. Talk to your peers. You don't necessarily about some of the things, it wouldn't be healthy. But talk and please can we have more people in Guernsey that will listen. There's mental illnesses, there's a stigma with it but we need as an island to open up about it. Especially when you see a lovely young man losing his life through mental illness."

If you or anyone you know has been affected by the issues in this story, there is help available:

Guernsey Association for Mental Health (MIND) - (01481) 722959

Guernsey Schizophrenia Fellowship (01481) 723308 Email: gsfmentalhealth@cwgsy.net

Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service - Bell House - (01481) 701441

www.samaritans.org/talk_to_someone/find_my_local_branch/crown_dependencies/guernsey.aspx

Jersey

www.samaritans.org/talk_to_someone/find_my_local_branch/crown_dependencies/jersey.aspx

jerseyfocus.com/

Other support websites

www.depressionalliance.org/
www.depression.com/
http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=490750

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2010, 08:25:35 AM »

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=13122466
Missing VCU student's family believes he committed suicide
Posted: Sep 08, 2010 8:44 PM CDT
Updated: Sep 08, 2010 10:00 PM CDT
By Tara Morgan - bio | email

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - The mother of missing VCU British exchange student Jonathan Dorey believes her son took his own life. Six months have passed since Dorey went missing.

Some of his belongings were found near the James River, but no sign of his body. Debbie Dorey told me in an email what was also found with her son's belongings.

It was on March 2, surveillance cameras captured Dorey leaving his dorm on his bike. His mother revealed what her son may have been going through in the months leading up to his disappearance.

His disappearance is a mystery and it led to several unsuccessful searches on the James. But in the last six months, Jonny Dorey's mother said she uncovered troubling words left behind by her son in a letter and diary.

In an email, Debbie Dorey opened up about her 22-year-old son. She wrote, "Jonny was terribly unhappy and never satisfied with the choices he'd made, always thinking he could have done better, in his own words he found it hard being human."

Debbie thinks her son suffered from clinical depression.
Jonny's mother believes depression drove her son to drink a bottle of gin and jump into the James River. She said that liquor bottle was recovered along with his clothes and backpack on the dock near Rocketts Landing.

According to Debbie's email: "From internet sites and writings on Facebook found by the FBI on Jonny's computer, pointed to suicide."

"That's obviously something extremely traumatic that will take a long, long time for them to come to terms with," said VCU student Jake Rosenbaum.

The Dorey family is remembering happier times with Jonny. September 4, they celebrated his life near his home on the island of Guernsey in the UK.

"I think it's awesome the family had a celebration to remember Jon and what an amazing person he was," said VCU student Elizabeth Seidel.

"That family's got to keep moving forward and keep living. He wouldn't want them to just curl up and stop living," said Rosenbaum.

VCU police are still investigating Dorey's disappearance, but declined to comment about what his mother revealed. The Doreys will return to Richmond in two weeks to thank police and Jonny's friends and to make sure there's nothing more that can be done to find him

Gosh,how sad. 

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2010, 07:19:40 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-11193607
Commemoration service held for missing Guernsey student
September 5, 2010

Jonny Dorey's family held a service to commemorate the student's life

A  ceremony has taken place in honour of a Guernsey man who vanished in the USA while on a student exchange programme.

Jonathan Samuel Dorey, known as Jonny, was last seen on Virginia Commonwealth University campus on 2 March.

His rucksack, personal items and clothing have since been found next to the James River in Richmond.

The FBI, university and local police have all been involved in trying to trace the 22-year-old. The ceremony was held at St Germain on Saturday.

Mr Dorey, a geography exchange student, had been studying at the University of the West of England in Bristol before travelling to the US.

A $10,000 (£6,497) reward has been offered for information about Mr Dorey's whereabouts.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2010, 01:24:25 PM »

Human remains 5 miles from VCU

Human remains found near Richmond VA hospital
Published: September 15, 2010
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/sep/15/bodygat15-ar-506674/

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 01:04:15 PM »

Human remains 5 miles from VCU

Human remains found near Richmond VA hospital
Published: September 15, 2010
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/sep/15/bodygat15-ar-506674/

So sad, I hope they recover his body and take him home . . . God bless this family!

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »

Nope....not this time......

ID'd as Cleveland Peoples Jr.  missing in June 2006
http://richmondvapolice.blogspot.com/

Edit: Fix typo.  MB
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:21:03 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »

oops...that shoud say June of 2006.

Fixed it.  MB
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:21:57 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2010, 06:37:41 AM »

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/news/2010/sep/24/parents-fear-vcu-students-body-may-never-be-found-ar-523790/
Parents fear VCU student's body may never be found
By Bill Mckelway
Published: September 24, 2010
The parents of a Virginia Commonwealth University student from Guernsey who has been missing for months planted a 20-foot red maple in memory of their son today and said they fear depression may have led him to take his own life, either intentionally or through a "reckless act."

Alan and Debbie Dorey spoke with reporters at VCU this afternoon and said they wanted to stress the importance of recognizing depression and seeking assistance, and to urge that all parents talk to their children about their feelings and what they may be going through. 

Jonathan S. Dorey, 22, was last seen March 2 leaving his VCU dorm with his bicycle.
Authorities have said they have no evidence of foul play. VCU said earlier that a witness reported seeing a man matching Dorey’s description swimming in the river on the afternoon that he disappeared, and some of the student's belongings were found on the north bank of the river March 24.

His father said this afternoon that "all we can do is surmise" the cause of his son's death, and added he and his wife believe Dorey may have taken his life either intentionally or through a "reckless act" such as attempting to swim after drinking alcohol.

The Doreys said they live with the thought that their son's body may never be recovered. 

They praised the help they have received from VCU and Richmond police, and the FBI, and added they have been updated weekly on the search.

(This has been a breaking news update. Read more in tomorrow's Richmond Times-Dispatch.)

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2010, 01:23:45 PM »

A reply to the article you just posted. Why didn't this witness call 911? I like to think I would have.

0CLEARPosted by edrebber on Sept. 26, 2010 - 4:18 a.m.
How could this so called witness think dorey was out for a swim when it was freezing cold outside and snowing that day? Why didn't they call 911?

2 4 1
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2010, 05:33:27 PM »

Richmond Times Dispatch (Virginia) 
September 25, 2010 Saturday

Dorey parents warn of perils of depression;
They don't expect missing VCU exchange student to be found

Standing beside a freshly planted red maple at Virginia Commonwealth University honoring their son, the parents of missing VCU exchange student Jonathan S. Dorey yesterday celebrated the 22-year-old as a free spirit who likely perished in the throes of depression.

The combination of a pile of clothes, a half-empty bottle of gin, and a sighting of the young man swimming nearby in the frigid James River "leads us to believe that Jonny died of a suicide or a reckless act as the result of a mental breakdown," Debbie Dorey said.

Their voices steady but anguished, Dorey and her husband, Alan, read from prepared statements about their son's exuberant life. But they pleaded, too, with families everywhere to mind the moods and sometimes impenetrable silences of their children.

"Jonny was an intelligent, moody and complex young man. We love him dearly. We think Jonny was born with a sadness gene," Debbie Dorey said. The family lives in Guernsey, an island in the English Channel.

The couple thanked the hundreds of people - especially VCU police and the FBI - who have searched tirelessly for Dorey's body or supplied bits of evidence about his disappearance and possible whereabouts.

But the truth, they said, is that they do not expect Jonny's remains ever will be found.

A witness saw a man roughly fitting Dorey's description swimming in the James River the afternoon of March 2, the day he disappeared and a day when temperatures hovered in the mid-30s. Dorey's belongings, including a backpack, were located weeks later near Rocketts Landing.

Speaking out for the first time, the couple sought to bring public attention to the plight of families dealing with depression. They also revealed details of Dorey's life, breaking a silence and distance from public attention that they feared might impede the search for their son.

VCU Police Chief John Venuti said the investigation into Dorey's disappearance continues and that he is hopeful more evidence will turn up about what may have happened.

The couple joined with Venuti, school friends of Jonny's, and high-ranking VCU officials, including President Michael Rao and his wife, Monica, to plant the maple just before lunchtime yesterday in the heart of the VCU campus off Main Street.

"It's appropriate because we have family in Canada," said Alan Dorey, 54, a horticulturist who works with an international shipping firm specializing in flowering clematis.

Jonny planned to become a geographer and was known at VCU for long mountain bike rides and his outgoing personality.

He was the solid one, the organizer, the "life and soul of the group," his mother said.

But he also was subject to periods of hardened silence, which friends and family never recognized as possibly fatal.

"So our message is particularly to young men - but to all people: Please talk about your feelings, share things, do not bottle it up. And, if possible, get professional and confidential help," Debbie Dorey said.

Alan Dorey described a son who was complex and guided by his own unconventional path.

"He was either flat-out or flat out," Alan Dorey said. "Flat-out cycling or playing football or lying flat out in front of the TV or PlayStation."

A younger brother, Simon, arranged a memorial service earlier this month in Guernsey overlooking a spot called Richmond Beach. The celebration ended with a song: "Johnny Make Believe" by Golden Earring.

"Farewell, cruel world, all you pretty girls; don't send me flowers, hold me in your dreams."
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:1271426016&start=10

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2010, 05:21:22 PM »

http://www.thisisguernsey.com/2010/10/09/that-ones-for-johnny/
That one’s for Johnny
October 9, 2010

By Matt Lihou

Tom HollingsworthTOM HOLLINGSWORTH dedicated his latest island record swim in the Delhi pool to his former school friend Johnny Dorey.

Hollingsworth (pictured) overcame a slight illness to swim his Medley personal best, a performance that team manager Sara Parfit described as ‘spectacular’.

He placed fifth in heat two of the 200m individual medley, setting a new Island record of 2-05.90 in the process.

He explained his motivation for doing so well, and paid tribute to good friend Jonny Dorey, who went missing in America many months ago.

‘I want to dedicate my record to him because he was one of my closest friends and always an inspiration to me,’ Hollingsworth said.

Read more: http://www.thisisguernsey.com/2010/10/09/that-ones-for-johnny/#ixzz13PLrbUnC

Pages: « 1 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.