April 26, 2024, 08:31:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shantina"'Kat" Smiley & 8 yo son Azriel, WA Missing 3/13/10(BODY OF BOY FOUND)  (Read 210544 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2010, 03:10:47 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m4d2-Disappeared-without-a-trace-Shantina-Smiley-still-missing-fiance-holds-out-hope-shell-come-home
(Slide show avail)
Disappeared without a trace: Shantina Smiley still missing, fiancé holds out hope she'll come home
April 2, 2010

Shantina Smiley, missing since March 13, 2010

April 2, 2010 - (Slideshow) It has been reported that Shantina Smiley "vanished out of thin air", that her behavior was erratic in the hours before she disappeared, and that her disappearance is a mystery that has everyone, including investigators, stumped - yet her fiancé holds out hope she'll return home to him one day.

Shantina's fiancé, Robb Simmons, told Examiner.com Monday evening, "There's been no news. There have been a few leads and tips but nothing has come from them. It's wacky and mysterious but I'm still hoping and praying she'll come home."

Going back to the night she disappeared - Saturday, March 13 - Shantina was headed from her Silverdale, Wash., home on the Kitsap Pennisula, to her step-father's home in Castle Rock, a small town in Southwest Washington north of Portland. The trip should have taken just over two hours.

Shantina hadn't seen her step-father in years and, according to Simmons, was happy about the reunion.

She had her 8-year old son, Azriel Carver, with her. Her fiancé would meet up with them later in Castle Rock, after he stopped for a quick repair to his motorcycle.

But something went dreadfully wrong that night that no one, not even Simmons, can figure out.

After stopping for something to eat and to call Simmons to let him know she'd forgotten her cell phone at home, Shantina drove around Olympia for hours apparently trying to find her way back to the highway. For whatever reason, she continually went the wrong direction and supposedly ended up on a deserted beach down a dirt road on private property. (Click here for timeline).

The next day residents found Shantina's van stuck in the water, her wallet was on the seat but her purse was missing, her keys were on the dashboard, and her overnight bag was missing. The side door and back hatch were open, Shantina and Azriel were nowhere to be found.

Police and search teams searched on air, land, and in the water and found no sign of them. Then on March 18 Azriel's body was found on Fox Island in Puget Sound, an island twelve miles from where the van was found.

Shantina remains missing. People have speculated what could have happened to her.

"She could have been abducted," Simmons said, "she could be in someone's basement for all we know."

"She had every reason to want to live," Simmons said. "The Tuesday before she went missing her boss told her she was doing exceptionally well at work."

Shantina wanted a job with benefits, it's what she'd worked so hard to accomplish. She had two job interviews for full-time positions in medical coding and billing with benefits lined up. Simmons doesn't believe Shantina would have done anything to jeopardize fulfilling that dream.

"She was worried about my health," Simmons said, "but we didn't have an answer yet and my health problems could have been minor. I do think the worry may have caused her to relapse and start drinking again because she thought I could possibly have cancer."

It could make sense, Simmons said, since she'd had a rough life before they met. For the first time, he said, she was in a stable, happy relationship.

"Right now," Simmons said, "all I have is an urn filled with half of Azriel's ashes and the hope that she'll come home. We had plans laid out for the rest of our lives. I just hope and pray she's out there, somewhere, and that she's still alive. "

Detectives say anyone with information on Smiley and her son can call Thurston County Crime Stoppers at 360-493-2222, the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office at 360-786-5500 or 9-1-1.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »

I so sick of reading this guys nonsense .. He is grandstanding --poor me-- mo.
That last statement floors me.. "all I have is an urn filled with half of Azriel's ashes"

What happened to the other half ?   Now I really wondering about him.. 

The other one "the real dad" is even worse.. ! Haven't seen him in years but now I am worried...
Is that where the other half of the boys ashes are ?? with him ?

My Bad..
I need to think of something different today..
Sorry
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2010, 06:43:42 PM »

So she left with her purse and overnight bag, one shoe (assuming the one larger shoe found was hers) and no wallet or keys? This one is surly a strange one. I can't make sense of any of it.

I would assume the poor little boys ashes were split between the mom and the dad? Why would they do it that way? That is sort of sick isn't it? OMGosh that is disturbing for me to read. They need to put him back together for gosh sakes!
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2010, 06:46:43 PM »

I so sick of reading this guys nonsense .. He is grandstanding --poor me-- mo.
That last statement floors me.. "all I have is an urn filled with half of Azriel's ashes"

What happened to the other half ?   Now I really wondering about him.. 

The other one "the real dad" is even worse.. ! Haven't seen him in years but now I am worried...
Is that where the other half of the boys ashes are ?? with him ?

My Bad..
I need to think of something different today..
Sorry
yes, I guess they split them...because there is a newspaper article written about him returning home with his son's ashes.  Poor Azriel...I bet he really wanted to be around his dad more.  So sad that it is like this.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2010, 07:33:26 PM »

That is wrong, they shouldn't have split them. These are his ashes for goodness sakes. To me it sounds disrespectful of this little boy. 1/2 for mom 1/2 for dad? Not right and something I would never want done god forbid to one of my children. jmo
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2010, 07:59:21 PM »

For all both of these fools know mom is alive and being held by some strange Waco in the middle of God knows where..

MOM and only mom would deserve ALL of this poor little boy

For all anyone knows that boy was thrown in the water in another location right in front of his mother..

I am not saying that is what happened for sure.. but in this case ANYTHING is possible.

The world has seen stranger events withing just the last 24 months and if I go back years hundreds of stranger things have happened.

What bothers me most is the splitting up of this child.. and in Both of there own words this little child meant NOTHING to either of them.
By the original fathers own actions towards his blood son..by not even calling or visiting.
By the fiance only concern if for HER and not the child at all.

Never the less it is only ashes.. I do understand that.
This is about principal and by all rights the fiance has NO rights at all.
Read both of there crap from the very beginning and all I read is "oh poor me because"
It is all bullcrap.

It really bugs me..
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »

Edward I would assume they did this because in the case the mom was found alive she would have a part of her son. Why not keep him together in WA and if the mom is found dead then bury them together? If she is alive and found then let the decision be made at that time. It bothers me a lot. The father I am sure has many regrets but this boy deserves more then this. To be devided as if he was nothing more then a possesion is wrong.
Ashes are ashes but they are ashes of a little boy. I find the whole thing very disturbing and disrespectful.
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »

I understand what you are saying.

Still She is not confirmed dead She may very well be alive and the fiance is NOTHING by blood or law.

This childs remains in ashes should be protected until mom is found.

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2010, 08:34:55 PM »

I understand what you are saying.

Still She is not confirmed dead She may very well be alive and the fiance is NOTHING by blood or law.

This childs remains in ashes should be protected until mom is found.

Yep completely agree with you Edward.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2010, 07:49:05 PM »

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20100405/NEWS/304059993
Missing Silverdale mother mourned in Brinnon, where she lived as a teen
Sunday, April 4, 2010

BRINNON -- The life of Shantina Smiley, a Silverdale woman who has been missing since March 13, will be remembered in services set April 17 in Brinnon, where she once lived.

"Right now, I would love to see her walk back into our lives," said Smiley's grandmother, Dolly Smith of Brinnon.

"But I don't think we will see her again. She would never leave her son."

Service slated

The service is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Brinnon Community Church, 52 Church Road, with the Rev. Bill Reid officiating.

On March 13, Smiley, 29, was traveling with her 8-year-old son, Azriel Carver, to a family gathering in Castle Rock, in southwest Washington.

The next day, her minivan was found partially submerged in the Puget Sound near Olympia the next day. No one was inside.

Her son's body was found on a Fox Island beach, near Gig Harbor, on March 18.

The Thurston County Sheriff's Office said Friday investigators have no new leads to follow.

"If she were alive, she would have called me by now," Smith said.
"She would let me know she was OK because she didn't like to worry her grandma. That's the kind of woman she was."

See it realistically

Like Smith, Smiley's fiancé Robb Simmons is using the service to reach closure.

"I hope that she will come back every damn day," Simmons said. "She could be in somebody's basement or someplace where we can't reach her.

"But we have to look at it realistically."

A memorial service was held for Azriel in March at the Brinnon Community Church.

Smith said she expected about 20 people to attend but about 90 showed up.

Smith anticipates a large crowd will gather for the service April 17.

Six years in Brinnon

Smith said she "partly raised" Smiley, who lived in Brinnon for six years prior to her 18th birthday.

Smiley graduated from Castle Rock High School in 1998 and earned a degree from Bremerton's Olympic College in medical coding and billing in 2009, Smith said.

She was scheduled to begin a new job on March 15.

Smiley met Simmons, a Silverdale photographer, on MySpace three years ago.

She had won the hearts of Simmons' two children, ages 11 and 15, Smith and Simmons said.

"Those two kids adored her, " Smith said. "It says a lot about her, that her future stepkids called her 'Mom' but called their own mother by her real name."

"My daughter started to call her 'Mom' totally on her own," Simmons said.

Many questions about Smiley's disappearance and her son's death, which captured national media attention, may never be answered, investigators have said.

Simmons told KING-TV that Smiley is a recovering alcoholic who relapsed just before she disappeared. He also said he doesn't believe the relapse played any role in her disappearance, The Associated Press said.

Smiley apparently took a haphazard route north of Olympia before parking on a remote beach. Surveillance cameras recorded her buying a bottle of wine at a store. A half-empty bottle with the cork in it washed up on the beach along with Azriel's ball, shoe and asthma inhaler.

Smith said that Smiley succeeded in spite of adversity, including an alcoholic and abusive mother.

"We both went through a lot in our lives," Simmons said. "When we met, I wasn't looking for someone, but we hit it right off."

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2010, 07:51:12 PM »

http://www.tdn.com/news/local/article_19266dfe-4060-11df-b506-001cc4c002e0.html
Memorial service scheduled for mom who went missing near Olympia
April 4, 2010

Although she is still officially missing, the fiance of Shantina Marie "Kat" Smiley, formerly of Castle Rock, will hold a memorial service for her next week.

Robb Simmons announced that the service will be held at 1 p.m. April 17 at the Brinnon Community Church in Brinnon, Wash.

Smiley, 29, has been missing since March 13. She apparently became lost as she and her 8-year-old son, Azriel, headed from their home in Silverdale, Wash., to visit Smiley's stepfather in Castle Rock.

Their van was found partially submerged on a private Puget Sound beach near Olympia. Azriel, a drowning victim, washed up March 18 on the shore of an island 12 miles away. No trace has been found of Smiley.

Her stepgrandfather, Silas Smith, told The Daily News Smiley made the same drive from Silverdale to Castle Rock a couple of weeks before her disappearance and was looking forward to seeing her stepfather. She once lived with him and her late mother, Tammy Brown.

She grew up in Castle Rock, where she graduated in 1998 from Castle Rock High School and was active in cheerleading and drill team.

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #171 on: April 05, 2010, 09:25:49 PM »

Azriel James Carver: Obituary
(November 28, 2001 - March 18, 2010) 

http://www.ottoredanz.com/index.cfm

http://obits.nola.com/niagara-gazette/Obituaries.asp?Page=Notice&PersonID=141279054

“Cherished Son and Nephew”

Azriel James Carver, age 8, of Silverdale, WA, entered into rest, tragically, on March 18, 2010 in Olympia, WA. Born on November 28, 2001, he was the son of Jed J. "Jay" (Megan Licht) Carver III of Lancaster, NY and Shantina Smiley of Silverdale, WA.

Azriel was an active member of the Boy Scouts of America. He was awarded, in his honor, the Spirit of the Eagle Award, which the Boy Scouts of America created as an honorary posthumous special  recognition for a registered youth member who has lost his or her life in a tragic accident or through  illness.

In his very short life, Azriel touched the hearts of many and within those hearts may he find peace.

In addition to his parents, Azriel is survived by his paternal grandmother, Esther (Dick Aronica) Cassatt of Grand Island, NY; his maternal grandfather, Keith Kanally of Oregon; one aunt, Dana (Pete Wieczorek) Carver of Niagara Falls, NY; two uncles, Shawn (Cheryl) Jasper of Bergholz, NY and Travis Wallingford of Longview, WA; and many cousins. He was predeceased by his paternal grandfather, Jed Carver, Jr. and his maternal grandmother, Tammy Brown.

The family will be present to receive friends on Wednesday from 6-8 PM in the Chapel of the OTTO REDANZ FUNERAL HOME, 2215 Military Road, Niagara Falls, NY (297-9007) where a Memorial Service will follow at 8:00 PM.

Flowers are gratefully declined. If desired, memorial offerings may be made to the family, c/o Dana Carver, 2413 Grand Island, Blvd., Grand Island, NY 14072.

Condolences may be sent to the family by visiting us at http://www.ottoredanz.com/index.cfm and http://www.legacy.com/niagara-gazette/Obituaries.asp.

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2010, 02:49:30 PM »

Aww thanks wykes, what a nice write up they put together. He was a cute kid, wasn't he? His smile was so bright. may he RIP.
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2010, 02:52:31 PM »

http://www.tdn.com/news/local/article_19266dfe-4060-11df-b506-001cc4c002e0.html
Memorial service scheduled for mom who went missing near Olympia
April 4, 2010

Although she is still officially missing, the fiance of Shantina Marie "Kat" Smiley, formerly of Castle Rock, will hold a memorial service for her next week.

Robb Simmons announced that the service will be held at 1 p.m. April 17 at the Brinnon Community Church in Brinnon, Wash.

Smiley, 29, has been missing since March 13. She apparently became lost as she and her 8-year-old son, Azriel, headed from their home in Silverdale, Wash., to visit Smiley's stepfather in Castle Rock.

Their van was found partially submerged on a private Puget Sound beach near Olympia. Azriel, a drowning victim, washed up March 18 on the shore of an island 12 miles away. No trace has been found of Smiley.

Her stepgrandfather, Silas Smith, told The Daily News Smiley made the same drive from Silverdale to Castle Rock a couple of weeks before her disappearance and was looking forward to seeing her stepfather. She once lived with him and her late mother, Tammy Brown.

She grew up in Castle Rock, where she graduated in 1998 from Castle Rock High School and was active in cheerleading and drill team.

I feel bad saying this but isn't it sort of strange to have a memorial service for someone who is still considered missing? She could be dead, but I just don't think it is long enough to have a memorial service. I have to say, I don't agree with some of the decisions being made. Splitting up ashes, memorial's for missing people. Just seems odd. Maybe everyone is so distraught that it is difficult on them? If that is the case, prayers of strength being sent their way.
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #174 on: April 06, 2010, 04:14:04 PM »

She could be alive. She may very well be alive.
Anyone who even suggests she is dead is suspect in my mind.
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2010, 05:24:48 PM »

It also means law enforcment is not looking for a bad guy..

They are going to the donut shop.
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2010, 05:27:44 PM »

It's odd right? Not just me?  I read about this when it was posted but didn't respond because I didn't want to seem mean. But I just don't get it. Wonder what LE thinks of it.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2010, 05:51:41 PM »

It's odd right? Not just me?  I read about this when it was posted but didn't respond because I didn't want to seem mean. But I just don't get it. Wonder what LE thinks of it.

Personally, I think it's premature to have a memorial service for Shantina "Kat" Smiley at this time.  If it were my friend or relative, I would hold off for at least a year in the hopes they may still be alive.  Maybe she hit her head and has amnesia?  Why the need for "closure" at this point?  There are too many questions and not enough answers imo.  When a person is considered dead or presumed dead then people stop asking questions and looking for answers.  Is there anything that some don't want to come to light?  If it were my friend or relative I would continue searching and waiting.  I don't want to seem mean either but it doesn't make sense to me for there to be a memorial for a person that has been missing less than 30 days, no witnesses or evidence of death and etc.  I would be using my time, energy and resources to continue looking then to eulogize.  JMHO 

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2010, 06:04:14 PM »

Thanks Muffy for your opinion. I see we are on the same page. It does sort of make you go, hmmm.

Hey you have an autism awareness ribbon! I can't recall, I think you said you have a nephew with autism? Sorry if that is incorrect.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #179 on: April 06, 2010, 06:13:46 PM »

Thanks Muffy for your opinion. I see we are on the same page. It does sort of make you go, hmmm.

Hey you have an autism awareness ribbon! I can't recall, I think you said you have a nephew with autism? Sorry if that is incorrect.

Yes Tracygirl, I have a young nephew "Clayton" with autism. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.