April 19, 2024, 03:08:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shantina"'Kat" Smiley & 8 yo son Azriel, WA Missing 3/13/10(BODY OF BOY FOUND)  (Read 210338 times)
Sea Searcher
Monkey Junky

January 8th, 1935 On this day, a King was born !

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 09:25:02 PM »

Here's an update... Recovering Alcoholic ..having a relapse ? maybe no connection

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-031410-missingmomandson,0,6651388.story

NEW DETAILS: Missing Mom's Fiance Appears on FOX News, Reveals More About Her
Shantina "Kat" Smiley's fiance says she is a recovering alcoholic and suffered a relapse last week

We will never be able to make a woman want her child. But we as a society could make a safe haven for those children in that situation. Let not one more child die from lack of wanting... We could call it the Caylee House.
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 11:06:55 PM »

Mother and Son Missing

Shantina Smiley was heading to her stepfather's house when she and her 8-year-old son, Azriel Carver, took one wrong turn after another through the back roads of Wash. state and onto a private Puget Sound beach. (http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_162-10002821.html)

Not sure where to put this...but wanted people to pray...pray...pray...that they are found safe.  I believe that they have found the van submerged in water...but have not found the two.  Move this post if it needs to be elsewhere.  Thanks.

We already have a thread for Shantina Smiley at Scared Monkeys:
http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=7384.0

I appreciate your caring and interest in this case, but it is posted OT in Chelsea's thread.  I would appreciate it if you would check in the Missing Person's area first.  If you don't see a thread for the case, you can create one, or ask a mod or admin to help you make one.  Having to move posts is extra work, btw.  MuffyBee

Moving this post over to Shantina Smiley's thread.  MB
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:19:13 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 12:38:55 AM »

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Nationwide-appeal-for-help-in-finding-missing-mom-and-son-87825797.html
Fiancé of missing mom sharing more information with police

by DREW MIKKELSEN / KING 5 News

Posted on March 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Updated today at 6:24 PM

OLYMPIA, Wash.  - There is new information about the missing Kitsap County woman and her son. Her fiancé says she's a recovering alcoholic and recently relapsed because of a lot of stress in her life.

Detectives said Robb Simmons has started to share a lot more about his relationship with Shantina Smiley, but it hasn't helped them solve the mystery.

Late Tuesday afternoon, we found out detectives were looking at surveillance video from a diner in Olympia, one of the last places the mother and son were seen Saturday night.

Shantina's van was found Sunday morning with the doors and back hatch wide open, abandoned and partially submerged on a Puget Sound beach.

Shantina and her 8-year-old son Azriel were supposed to drive from Silverdale down to Castle Rock Saturday evening, but they never even got close. Her family has no idea what happened.

On Tuesday her fiancé revealed she had been under stress lately. He said he's been having health issues and fears he might have cancer. So this past week he suggested they get married.

That's when she started drinking again. But he does not think that played any role in what happened.

"The idea she would stop and drink is not a realistic thing. I do not see her doing that, I don't see herself doing that putting herself at risk, getting in trouble with the law, putting her son at risk," he said.
(snipped)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 12:40:43 AM »

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011362230_missing17.html

Missing mom is recovering alcoholic, fiancé says

Despite searches by divers, boats and aircraft, investigators have yet to turn up any solid leads in the weekend disappearance of a Kitsap County woman and her 8-year-old son.

By DONNA GORDON BLANKINSHIP

The Associated Press

Despite searches by divers, boats and aircraft, investigators have yet to turn up any solid leads in the weekend disappearance of a Kitsap County woman and her 8-year-old son.

Shantina "Kat" Smiley, 29, of Silverdale, and her son were going from their Silverdale home to her stepfather's house in Southwest Washington when they vanished.

The van Smiley drove was found Sunday, abandoned and partially submerged in water on a Puget Sound beach in the Olympia area.

"It's almost like she vanished out of thin air," said Chelsie Woodard, 32, of Castle Rock, Cowlitz County, whose father used to be married to Smiley's mother.
(snipped)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 12:46:31 AM »

Her myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/neiko_82

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 01:13:36 AM »

If she went to one house for directions maybe she went to another house for more directions?
The van was found in the water or by the water? It was off the road, like maybe the brake wasn't pulled and it rolled?
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 01:21:44 AM »

This is sad, she seemed like everything was going good, no reason to walk away. Seems like she loves her fiance and his kids, just graduated from school. Her fiance and her are den leaders for their sons, how cute is that. She seemed really happy. I can see however that his possibly having cancer would hit her hard. She was a single mom probably struggled then found the perfect guy. The thought of losing him would be hard for her. I don't think that would make her run away but rather to him.
I hope she and her son will be found, safe and sound, very soon
melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 08:43:10 AM »

They are either lost in the woods, (but they are a scout fam right?) someone followed and they have met with foul play or she did drink and/or hit her head and  may have become 'not herself' and distraught and thought the only way out was to end things for the both of them.  God please let them be just lost with a Mayberry type LE not able to find them!!!!!
labubske
Monkey Junky

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 09:25:55 AM »

Mother and Son Missing

Shantina Smiley was heading to her stepfather's house when she and her 8-year-old son, Azriel Carver, took one wrong turn after another through the back roads of Wash. state and onto a private Puget Sound beach. (http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_162-10002821.html)

Not sure where to put this...but wanted people to pray...pray...pray...that they are found safe.  I believe that they have found the van submerged in water...but have not found the two.  Move this post if it needs to be elsewhere.  Thanks.

We already have a thread for Shantina Smiley at Scared Monkeys:
http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=7384.0

I appreciate your caring and interest in this case, but it is posted OT in Chelsea's thread.  I would appreciate it if you would check in the Missing Person's area first.  If you don't see a thread for the case, you can create one, or ask a mod or admin to help you make one.  Having to move posts is extra work, btw.  MuffyBee

Moving this post over to Shantina Smiley's thread.  MB

No problem...I looked and didn't see one...must have missed it.  Just wanted to briefly mention it...that's all.  I'm new to this and still finding my way around.

"It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities." Sir Josiah Stamp

“I don't have anything to gain. It's not going to save my daughter's life. But it could save your daughter's life.”  ~Mark Lunsford
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »

It says search called off due to her mental state...  WHAT ????????????????/

"Detectives say they're trying to learn all they can about Smiley's emotional state."

Unfreakingbelieveable..............

Here we go again where LE sits on a finger and twirls round and round instead of an all out search effort for this little boy and his mother.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 03:23:12 PM »

http://www.king5.com/news/Father-of-missing-boy-picks-up-search--88194812.html

Father of missing boy picks up search for Silverdale woman, son

by DREW MIKKELSEN / KING 5 News

Posted on March 17, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Updated today at 8:41 AM

OLYMPIA, Wash.  -- Thurston County deputies have called off the search for a missing Silverdale mother and her young son, but a new person is picking up the effort: the father of the missing boy.

Jay Carver is the father of Azriel, the eight-year-old who's gone missing, and the former boyfriend of the boy's mother, Shantina Smiley. Carver flew in to SeaTac Airport late Tuesday night from New York, and says he will go into the woods around Olympia today, determined to find his boy.

The mother and son disappeared over the weekend while on their way to Castle Rock. The only clue was their van was found partially submerged in Budd Inlet in Olympia.

Carver says he hasn't seen his son in years, but knows he is a good kid.

"We've been actually talking and I was going to actually try and come out and see him this summer but - well, here I am," said Carver.

Carver says he can't begin to guess what led up to Shantina and Azriel's disappearance, but he says he's determined to be the one to solve this mystery. Carver said he planned to rent a car and drive to Olympia, where his former partner and their boy was last seen Saturday night.

"All I know is I want to get into the woods and just find him and I'm going to look for him," said Carver. "I don't know what's going on with the search and everything. I heard it's been called off, but I'm going to go out there and I'm going to find him."

Fiance of missing mom shares more information

Smiley's current boyfriend and fiance said she's an alcoholic who had been under a lot of stress and relapsed last week. But he says she would never endanger the boy.

Detectives said Robb Simmons has started to share a lot more about his relationship with Shantina Smiley, but it hasn't helped them solve the mystery. On Tuesday Simmons revealed she had been under stress lately. He said he's been having health issues and fears he might have cancer. So this past week he suggested they get married.

That's when she started drinking again. But he does not think that played any role in what happened.

"The idea she would stop and drink is not a realistic thing. I do not see her doing that, I don't see herself doing that putting herself at risk, getting in trouble with the law, putting her son at risk," he said.

Detectives say they're trying to learn all they can about Smiley's emotional state and trying to determine if she had any mental or physical health problems Saturday night. She has no history of such problems.

Search efforts in the water and the woods around the beach wrapped up late Tuesday.

Police say Shantina is 5-foot-9, 140 pounds, with dark hair. Simmons says she has numerous tattoos, including one on her neck, and both wrists. She also had a couple of lightning bolts on her back. Azriel is 4-foot-2, 100 pounds, with a blond mohawk.

The search for Shantina and Azriel was called off late Tuesday afternoon and no new searches are planned.

The Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help with any information on Shantina and her son. Contact the Sheriff’s Office at 360-786-5530 or 5500.
Sea Searcher
Monkey Junky

January 8th, 1935 On this day, a King was born !

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 03:25:11 PM »

It says search called off due to her mental state...  WHAT ????????????????/

"Detectives say they're trying to learn all they can about Smiley's emotional state."

Unfreakingbelieveable..............

Here we go again where LE sits on a finger and twirls round and round instead of an all out search effort for this little boy and his mother.

I can't believe it either Edward...even tho I'm leaning toward her running off...I think because of the situation and how it's developed, they should still be looking for her and her son.

VANISHED: Search Called Off For Missing Mom And Son As Details Emerge About Her Emotional State
Shantina "Kat" Smiley's fiance says she is a recovering alcoholic and suffered a relapse last week

Q13 FOX News Online & Associate Press

11:33 PM PDT, March 16, 2010

THURSTON COUNTY - Investigators have called off the ground and water searches for a missing mom and son.

Detectives say they have no solid leads in the disappearance of Shantina 'Kat' Smiley and her son, Azriel Carver.

They continue to work the case but have given up on the search and rescue operation.

Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County Sheriff's office says, "We're working on a bunch of different theories. We really haven't closed any possibilities yet," Mealy said. "We're not leaning toward one theory or another right now."

They still have hope that they would find the pair alive. Meanwhile, investigators continue to question the mother's emotional state the day they vanished.

Q13 FOX News spoke to Smiley's fiancee Wednesday, "My mother always told me to Hope for the best but plan for the worst. I understand that this is day three. I want it to end on a good note but I have to make that space in my heart and my soul in case we don't get the news that we want" says Robb Simmons.

Her fiance, Ronn Simmons, appeared on FOX News Tuesday saying, "She's a recovering alcoholic and she had a recent relapse last week because I'm having medical issues right now."

However, Simmons claims that his fiance would not have been drinking when she disappeared Saturday night. He says, "She would not get in the car and do something like that. She would not put her son at risk because she loves her son too much."

Simmons has no idea where his fiancee and her son is. The family searched for hours the day both disappeared.

Smiley, 29, of Silverdale, and her son Azriel were driving from their Kitsap County home to her stepfather's house in southwest Washington when they vanished.

The van Smiley drove was found Sunday, abandoned and partially submerged in water on a remote Puget Sound beach in the Olympia area.

"It's almost like she vanished out of thin air," said Chelsie Woodard, 32, of Castle Rock, whose father used to be married to Smiley's mother.

Investigators were talking to people who know Smiley or her son and those who may have met her as she drove through the back roads of Washington state on Saturday night. Her fiance, Robb Simmons said Tuesday that Smiley is a recovering alcoholic who relapsed last week.

Simmons said she had been under stress lately. He had been having health issues and fears he might have cancer, and suggested this past week that they get married, he added.

But he said he doesn't believe the relapse played any role in her disappearance.

"The idea she would stop and drink is not a realistic thing," he told the television station. "I do not see her doing that, I don't see her doing that, putting herself at risk, getting in trouble with the law, putting her son at risk."

Carie Tonovitz, of Silverdale, said in an e-mail Tuesday that Smiley was a good mother who was very wrapped up in her son's life. Tonovitz, Smiley and Simmons are den leaders of their sons' Cub Scout group.

"Kat and Robb are cute to see together, great parents, good people," Tonovitz wrote. "Kat and Robb are very involved in Scouts, Kat going so far as to sleep on the gym floor a couple of weeks ago with the Cub Scouts. I snuck home because I was unwilling to do that."

Detectives say they're trying to learn all they can about Smiley's emotional state.

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-031410-missingmomandson,0,6651388.story?page=1

We will never be able to make a woman want her child. But we as a society could make a safe haven for those children in that situation. Let not one more child die from lack of wanting... We could call it the Caylee House.
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »

What about the little boy? I bet right about now his mental state is saying, "can someone flipping help me out here?"

Do the police not think that people with drinking problems ever run into trouble or get taken? What if she was walking along the road and someone forced her and the boy into the car? Or god forbid killed her and took the boy and is holding him. So many awful things that could have happened, I just don't get why they need time to think about it. Think later and go and search every where!
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 08:21:37 PM »

My nightmare is that he is dead of Hypothermia because he stayed by his dead mothers side, who hit her head "As the son is quoted saying to a waitress" and passed out and died in a Coma..

Everybody from the restaurant employees to the people who let her call on a phone Could have called police, not for arrest but for the safety of the boy and for concern for the woman's well being.

This generation of "Lets not get involved" is making me ill.
Now look at the police because her boyfriend makes a comment... It is disturbing.

jmho
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2010, 11:09:43 PM »

What about the little boy? I bet right about now his mental state is saying, "can someone flipping help me out here?"[/b][/i]

Do the police not think that people with drinking problems ever run into trouble or get taken? What if she was walking along the road and someone forced her and the boy into the car? Or god forbid killed her and took the boy and is holding him. So many awful things that could have happened, I just don't get why they need time to think about it. Think later and go and search every where!

exactly!

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2010, 11:27:01 PM »

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/88274362.html

Search for missing mom, son resumes after items found on beach

by Denise Whitaker & KOMO Staff

Originally printed at http://www.komonews.com/news/local/88274362.html

SEATTLE -- Authorities have resumed their search for the woman who abandoned a van on a remote Puget Sound beach over the weekend and disappeared with her 8-year-old son.

Lt. Chris Mealy of the Thurston County sheriff's office said a boat is searching the Boston Harbor area with a bloodhound on board, to try to pick up the scent of 29-year-old Shantina "Kat" Smiley of Silverdale and her son Azriel Carver. Dogs are also searching the roads and the area surrounding the beach.

The search was back on Wednesday after investigators received a tip from an area resident, who said someone had knocked on this door late Saturday night or early Sunday morning. The resident said he did not answer the door and did not think the event was significant at the time.

"They didn't think much of it until later when they contacted the sheriff's office," said Mealy.

Investigators searched the beach on Wednesday and recovered several items that washed up on the beach overnight. Mealy said the items include two mismatched leather shoes, a half-full and corked wine bottle, an inhaler and an orange ball.

"They were on the tide line, you know, the water would come up and recede, come up and recede," Mealy said. "We don't want to put a whole lot of importance on this other than to recognize them as (whether) having come from the van."

Detectives are working with Smiley's fiance Robb Simmons to determine whether those items did, in fact, come from the van.

The missing boy's father, Jay Carver, was on the scene of the search on Wednesday, hoping for any signs of his son. Carver flew in from Buffalo, N. Y. late Tuesday night in hopes of aiding searchers.

"Basically, I wanna see if I can help with any of the searches or what not that they're getting going to be doing in other areas. But basically, right now, I'm just getting the background and ... trying to find my boy," he said.

Smiley and her son were headed to her stepfather's home when they disappeared over the weekend. The van Smiley drove was found Sunday abandoned and partially submerged in water on a remote Puget Sound beach.

"It's almost like she vanished out of thin air," said stepsister Chelsie Woodard, 32, of Castle Rock, whose father used to be married to Smiley's mother.

On Wednesday investigators obtained additional surveillance footage from a store in Olympia that captured Smiley looking at a map with the store's clerk at 8:02 p.m. Saturday.

Friends and family are befuddled, and authorities said the case baffles them, as well.

Earlier this week, Smiley's fiance said the woman had a drinking problem and relapsed last week. However, Robb Simmons doesn't believe Kat would do anything to endanger her son.

"To think that she would be drinking on the road with her son, that's an insane idea. I don't believe that would happen," he said.

Mealy said Wednesday that Thurston County detectives were aware of Smiley's emotional state and her problems with alcohol. He said Simmons is not a suspect.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2010, 11:32:48 PM »

http://www.kirotv.com/news/22871727/detail.html

Bottle Of Wine Emerges As New Clue In Case Of Missing Mother, Boy

Posted: 5:16 pm PDT March 17,2010Updated: 6:03 pm PDT March 17,2010
LACEY, Wash. -- Surveillance video taken the night 29-year-old Shantina "Kat" Smiley disappeared shows her buying a jug of wine that looks like one found half-empty on the beach near her partially submerged van.

The grocery store surveillance video -- taken at a West Olympia mini-mart and obtained by KIRO 7 Eyewitness News on Wednesday -- shows Smiley pulling the 1.5-liter bottle of wine from the store shelf, buying it and other items, and leaving with her 8-year-old son, Azriel Carver.

Police on Wednesday confirmed to KIRO 7 that a wine bottle like the one Smiley purchased was found washed up on the beach overnight. It was capped, unbroken and half empty.

Earlier Wednesday, Smiley's fiancé, Rob Simmons, told the "CBS Early Show" that Smiley is a recovering alcoholic who had a recent relapse. But he said he believes alcohol had no role in her disappearance.

"I don't think alcohol is a factor. She loves her son too much," Simmons said. "She knows better than to go out and drive on the road. She doesn't want to get in any trouble with the law."

Smiley's brother, Travis Wallingford, agreed.

"She would never do that," he told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reporter Richard Thompson.

Also found on the beach were two mismatched leather shoes, an inhaler that may have belonged to Azriel, a baseball and water bottles. The items may have come from the van.

The search was back on Wednesday afternoon after someone in the area recovered several items that washed up on the beach overnight.

In other developments, Azriel’s father, Jay Carver, flew to Sea-Tac Airport from New York Tuesday night to aid in the search for his son. Carver said he talked to his son two weeks ago by phone.
(snipped)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2010, 11:46:01 PM »

Link to the video showing her purchasing the wine:

http://www.kirotv.com/video/22871326/index.html

Screen capture from the video above:

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2010, 01:09:03 PM »

Half empty ?

That is not enough wine to make me a stumbling drunk and I do not drink much.. Maybe giggly.. lol
" I am not a professional drinker "  A professional would have downed the whole damn thing and been looking for more.. mo.

Something is not right here..

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2010, 03:09:11 PM »

http://www.kirotv.com/news/22878227/detail.html

Police: Item On Beach Belongs To Missing Mom

Mealy said the positive identification of the items does not change the direction of their investigation. Thurston County has a boat in the water scouring the shoreline for clues. Investigators also are examining Smiley's bank records and court and public records and talking to people.

Police told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News on Wednesday that a half-empty bottle of wine washed up on the beach near where the van was found. The bottle looked like the one surveillance video showed Smiley buying at a mini-mart the night she and her son disappeared. See full story. It was capped, unbroken and half empty.

Also found on the beach were two mismatched leather shoes, an inhaler that may have belonged to Azriel, a baseball and water bottles.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.