April 30, 2024, 08:02:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shantina"'Kat" Smiley & 8 yo son Azriel, WA Missing 3/13/10(BODY OF BOY FOUND)  (Read 210774 times)
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2010, 01:32:28 AM »

The boy’s father was on the scene and fell to his knees and began to cry when he approached the site where the body was found.

Even though I did read this hours ago I am still without words.
 I am speachless... and so very, very sad.

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2010, 02:32:46 AM »

The boy’s father was on the scene and fell to his knees and began to cry when he approached the site where the body was found.

Even though I did read this hours ago I am still without words.
 I am speachless... and so very, very sad.

I know Edward it is just so sad, especially since in an article he said he didn't really know his son and had just began to talk to him. Such a missed opportunity for this young man and his son. It is heartbreaking.
I am concerned about the mom and what could have happened. I pray I am wrong and she didn't do this. I feel horrible inside about this story.. it is so hard, maybe because I have little boys? I don't know but oh gosh I feel so bad.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2010, 09:25:42 AM »

http://www.fox43.com/news/nationworld/kcpq-031810-boy,0,5079519.story
Search For Missing Mom Resumes Today; Son's Body Found On Fox Island
Pierce County deputies confirm to Q13 FOX News that 8-year-old Azriel Carver's body washed up on a beach Thursday.

Q13 FOX News Online & Associate Press Web Reporter
7:40 AM EDT, March 19, 2010
FOX ISLAND - The Pierce County medical examiner's office is planning an autopsy today to figure out how 8-year-old Azriel Carver died. The boy went missing along with his mother, Shantina Smiley, last weekend. Smiley is still missing. The search for her will resume today.

Police made the disturbing discovery of Azriel's body days after he and his mom vanished into thin air. The boy's body washed up on Fox Island Thursday.

When Jay Carver learned Azriel was missing, he hoped and prayed that it wouldn't end like this. He flew here from Buffalo, N.Y., this week and went to the beach where the body was found.

"This experience has shown me like you really don't know who you have in your life until they're gone," Carver said. "And it's sad."

"He had a great imagination, good sense of humor. He could have offered a lot to this world."

A woman walking on the beach spotted the body about 2 pm Thursday and called police. It didn't take long to figure out who it was.

"By the time we looked at the surveillance photos and we looked at the clothing on the boy we were pretty sure we knew who we had," said Pierce County Sheriff's Detective Ed Troyer. "But once the medical examiner and the detectives got here we were able to take a better look. We saw the Mohawk haircut. It's him."

Azriel and Smiley were on a short trip from Silverdale to Castle Rock Saturday evening when they disappeared. They were seen on surveillance video at an Olympia convenience store. Smiley, who is a recovering alcoholic, appeared to buy a jug of wine.

The next day, their van turned up on the beach near Olympia. A wallet containing Smiley's driver's license, some cash and credit cards was found in the van. Two mismatched shoes, an inhaler and an orange ball have washed ashore since the van was found. The items apparently belonged to the boy or his mother.

Then on Thursday, a half-empty jug of wine was found washed up nearby.

But what happened to his mother? Investigators believe if Smiley hasn't reached Fox Island yet, she soon will. If not, it is very possible that her body may have floated past the south end of the island.

"It's not unusual for a body to travel through a few different counties during a tide change, especially through here because the water moves really fast through some of these channels and we could have a body in Thurston County and through a tide change end up in King County," said Troyer.

A ground search along the beach turned up no sign of Smiley. Divers on a boat searched as well and a Coast Guard helicopter and sheriff's office plane flew overhead.

Investigators looked at phone records and talked to people who know Smiley or her son or may have met her Saturday night as she drove through back roads. Her fiance, Robb Simmons, told authorities she was a recovering alcoholic who had relapsed last week.

Meanwhile, Jay Carver has nothing left but regrets, because he hadn't seen his son in years.

"It tears me up inside," he says. "Nobody's gonna ever realize, like I said, if they're like any people who aren't playing the role of dad, let this be a lesson to you. It hurts."

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2010, 04:52:15 PM »

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/88624222.html

Officials: Boy died of drowning; abuse reported

by KOMO Staff

Originally printed at http://www.komonews.com/news/local/88624222.html

SEATTLE - A day after a missing boy's body was found on a Puget Sound beach, an autopsy has found that his cause of death was "accidental drowning," according to the Pierce County Medical Examiner's Office.

Meanwhile, the search resumed for his still-missing mother as reports surfaced that she previously had been investigated for abusing and neglecting the youngster.

Thurston County sheriff's spokesman Chris Mealy said Friday that deputies in a boat were looking for Shantina "Kat" Smiley, 29, of Silverdale.

Smiley and her 8-year-old son, Azriel Carver, were last seen Saturday night, and her minivan was found partially submerged in a cove off Budd Inlet near North Olympia at about 11:15 p.m. Saturday.

Azriel's body was discovered Thursday by a local resident on a Fox Island beach - about 18 miles away - and Mealy said strong tidal action in the area easily could have carried the boy's body that far.

Meanwhile, Child Protective Services confirmed that it had received 10 complaints involving Smiley and her son over the past five years, and that three of the complaints had been investigated.

That portrait of the relationship between mother and son differed dramatically from an earlier statement by Smiley's fiance, Robb Simmons, that he didn't believe she would do anything to endanger her son.

According to CPS spokeswoman Sherry Hill:

• A report was filed in June 2005 that Carver suffered "serious physical abuse" by Smiley's former boyfriend. The complaint was investigated, and the boyfriend was arrested for assault - but never prosecuted.

• In March 2007, CPS investigated a complaint that Smiley had physically abused her son, but the complaint was closed as "unfounded."

Azriel Carver

• In August 2007, the agency found that Smiley was negligent in caring for her son after she left him unsupervised while she was passed out from alcohol intoxication. The boy was placed under the care of relatives while Smiley received substance abuse treatment, then returned the next year to his mother's care.

• Another referral was made to CPS in April 2009 about Smiley and her son, but no details were immediately available. "We're still waiting to find out how much contact we had at this time," Hill said.

CPS will now conduct an extensive "fatality review," which involves going over every aspect of the case to see if mistakes were made by any agency along the way.

"We will look at all activity we had with the family ... in the fatality review," Hill said. "We're going to scrutinize every action."

Hill said it is not fair to blame CPS for the boy's death without further information.

"I dont believe it is fair to jump to that conclusion, when you have to look at people going through treatment and making an effort," she said.

"Any death of a child is tragic, and a child's death is even more troubling when that child has been served by the child welfare system and when a death is due to child abuse or neglect at the hands of an adult that was entrusted to care for them - it's even more heartbreaking. ... We continue to learn from these tragedies."

Searchers in the vicinity of Fox Island so far have found no sign of Smiley. The search is being coordinated by the Pierce County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies were able to recover several items that washed up on the beach in Budd Inlet on Tuesday night that belonged to Smiley, including leather shoes, an inhaler and an orange ball. A half-full and corked wine bottle also was found.

The missing boy's father, Jay Carver of Buffalo, N.Y., flew out to Washington state to aid in the search for his son. He said his heart sank when he heard the news that the boy's body had been tentatively identified.

"I was just hoping to find them safe somewhere to where I can come through and have them, and find them alive ... didn't play out that way," he said. "He could've offered a lot to this world. It's just a shame that he's not here."

Smiley and her son were headed from Silverdale to her stepfather's home in Castle Rock when they disappeared over the weekend.

Detectives have determined that Smiley turned off Interstate 5 in the Olympia area while enroute to Castle Rock, and was seen by several people who described her as appearing to be confused and lost.

A wallet containing Smiley driver's license, some cash and credit cards were found in the minivan, but neither Smiley nor her son was anywhere in sight.

"Apparently she got stuck and abandoned the car," Mealy said. There was no indication that a crime took place inside the 2005 Dodge Caravan, he added.

An employee at an east Olympia diner where she bought a corn dog told investigators that Shantina left without her purchase and then tripped and fell walking back to her van, but Mealy said the fall was not serious.

The elderly couple who lived nearby said they let Smiley use their phone to call her grandfather, gave her son a piece of pizza, and then directed her back to the freeway. She wasn't heard from again.

Mealy said that as she left the home, Smiley made another series of driving errors that eventually led her to a hard-to-find dirt path and driving onto the beach.

Smiley's fiance, Robb Simmons, said the woman had a drinking problem and relapsed last week.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2010, 05:04:55 PM »

From the last articles, it doesn't appear Azriel had a very good childhood.  I had hoped Azriel would be found safe, but it wasn't to be.  May he rest in peace.   an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2010, 06:06:03 PM »

Oh my gosh, poor little boy. RIP little boy, you are safe now.

How do you accidently drown in a van 1/2 submerged in water? What am I missing?
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2010, 06:26:41 PM »

I doubt he was in the van when he died.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2010, 07:07:28 PM »

Maybe when the car was found it was lower tide.  Could be they tried to get out of the car but had a problem swimming to shore?  Maybe they couldn't swim?
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2010, 07:13:54 PM »

O/T

cement strip the size and shape of a human body was found in the West Desert in Utah
http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=6666.new#new
post 978

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2010, 08:38:29 PM »

Maybe when the car was found it was lower tide.  Could be they tried to get out of the car but had a problem swimming to shore?  Maybe they couldn't swim?

See now that is why your are Klaas and I am not! Thank you, I was confused.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2010, 09:51:11 PM »

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/Father-speaks-about-sons-tragic-death
(Video Avail. at above link)
Father speaks about son's tragic death
Friday, March 19, 2010

* Lorey Schultz
    * Posted by: Kate McGowan

WASHINGTON (WIVB) - "He's just a really good kid. It's a shame he's out of this world," said father, Jay Carver.

Jay is talking about his 8-year-old son, Azreil.

He spoke to News 4 Friday morning by phone, only hours after his son's body was found floating in the Puget Sound in Washington State.

"I can't really put my finger on why," he exclaimed. "She just basically made a series of bad decisions that ended up why my boy lost his life."

Jay flew across country a few days ago, after his son and former girlfriend, Shantina Smiley disappeared last weekend.

The mother and son, who lived out West, left home Saturday night en route to visit family, making several stops along the way.

Some of the stops were caught on surveillance.

Her van was eventually found abandoned on a beach, and she is still missing.

Jay was there as authorities carried his son's lifeless body ashore.

"Here we are on the beach. It sucks," he expressed.

The reality is just starting to set in.

After conducting his own investigation, Jay has his own thoughts on what might have happened.

"Basically what I'm speculating is, she took some medication and had a bad reaction to it," Jay explained.

His former girlfriend's driving habits were bizarre on the night they disappeared.

"Like if they told her to go left, she'd go the exact opposite."

For whatever reason, Jay now believes his son's mom ended up on the beach, possibly passed out, and unaware that the tide was moving in.

"The tides came in high or low, but that night, the tide pattern came in high and fast and left fast as well."

Jay remarked, "It's tough."

An autopsy will be conducted on Friday to determine the exact cause of death.

In the meantime, Jay hopes to bring his son's ashes back to Western New York by early next week.

A candlelight vigil is planned for Saturday at his sister's business on Grand Island.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2010, 09:55:52 PM »

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/88613542.html
Community Memorial for Azriel Carver

GRAND ISLAND, NY (WKBW) -- There will be a community memorial for 8-year-old Azriel Carver on Saturday, March 20th.
Young Azriel went missing with his mother, 29-year-old Shantina Smiley in the State of Washington late last week.

Azriel's father, Jay Carver, is from Lancaster, NY, and went to Washington Monday to aid in the search.

Azriel's body was found on a remote shore Thursday, and the search continues for the missing Smiley.

The memorial will be held at 2413 Grand Island Boulevard in Grand Island, NY, at a dog grooming salon owned by a relative. There is also a memorial being planned in the Silverdale area in Washington.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2010, 09:59:15 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/search-resumes-missing-mom-shantina-smiley/story?id=10148339&page=2

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2010, 04:08:46 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m3d19-Search-resumes-for-Shantina-Smiley-Fiance-Robb-Simmons-says-Please-pray-for-a-miracle
Search resumes for Shantina Smiley; Fiance Robb Simmons says 'Please pray for a miracle'
Friday, march 19, 2010

<snip>
Today the search resumed for Shantina. Police are assuming she, too, is in the waters of the Puget Sound. They were waiting Friday for low tide so they could search the waters near where her son's body was found.
<snip>

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2010, 04:11:52 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/19/AR2010031900532.html?hpid=sec-nation
No sign of missing Wash. mother; son drowned
Friday, March 19, 2010

Members of Pierce County Sheriff's Metro Dive Rescue Team carry a stretcher ashore as they prepare to retrieve the body of a young boy found on Fox Island, Wash., Thursday, March 18, 2010. Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer is at right. Washington state authorities say they're "99 percent sure" that the child's body found in Puget Sound is that of an 8-year-old boy who vanished with his mother last weekend. (AP Photo/The News Tribune, Dean J. Koepfler) (Dean J. Koepfler - AP)
SEATTLE -- Another day of searching failed to turn up a missing Washington mother in the general area where her 8-year-old son's body was found on Thursday.

Pierce County sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said Friday afternoon that a search plane was sent up to look for Shantina Smiley.
<snip>

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2010, 04:13:26 PM »

http://www.9and10news.com/Category/Story/?id=214701&cID=3
March 20, 2010

<snip>
SEATTLE (AP) — Still no sign of the young mother who disappeared last weekend with her 8-year-old boy in the Seattle area. The boy's body was discovered Thursday on an island beach, and an autopsy found he accidentally drowned. A local sheriff says he plans no searches for Shantina Smiley this weekend.
<snip>

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2010, 04:57:27 PM »

OLYMPIA — The Thurston County Sheriff’s Department won’t search for Shantina “Kat” Smiley over the weekend. They’ll meet Monday morning to devise a strategy for early next week, said spokesman Lt. Chris Mealy.
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/mar/20/search-missing-island-lake-woman-pauses-weekend/

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »

Who was knocking on the door ?

Was it the child seeking help for his mom ?
or
Was it the mom seeking help to find her child ?

The son is dead... What of mom.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2010, 09:56:47 AM »

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/88741377.html
Remembering Azriel Carver
Saturday, March 20, 2010

GRAND ISLAND, NY ( WKBW ) A young boy with a Western New York connection was found dead on the other side of the country earlier this week. On Saturday, relatives and friends gathered on Grand Island to mourn his loss.

Eight year old Azriel Carver's body was found washed ashore Thursday off a remote beach near Tacoma, Washington just several days after he and his mother disappeared.

His father, Jay Carver, is from Lancaster with family on Grand Island.

As the sound of "Amazing Grace" could be heard, family and friends of 8 year old Azriel Carver reflected on a life that ended too soon.

One family member noted, "Though Azriel was here with us for such a short time, he is always here in our hearts."

Azriel's body was found Thursday on the shores of Fox Island in Washington State. The 8 year old had been missing for several days along with his mother, Shantina Smiley.

The boy's father Jay Carver flew to Washington State last week to join in the search. Now, he is making arrangements to bring his son home.

Saturday, the 8 year old was remembered in prayer and with a poem.

Azriel's aunt, Dana Carver read this emotional passage..."Don't cry for me Daddy, don't cry for me Daddy, I'm right here though you cant see me. I see your tears, I visit you often, I go to work with you each day, and when it's time for you to close your eyes on your pillow is where I lay."

Other family members remembered Azriel as an upbeat young boy who was very funny and had a sense of humor like his dad.

As family and friends remembered Azriel, there are still many unanswered questions. Officials in Washington State are still searching for Azriel's mother Shantina, and looking into what happened. Tragically, these questions might never be answered.

A benefit event in memory of Azriel Carver will be held April 18th at "Macaroons" in Cheektowaga.

Rest in peace, Azriel  an angelic monkey

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2010, 09:59:47 AM »

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/mar/20/search-missing-island-lake-woman-pauses-weekend/
Search For Missing Silverdale Woman Pauses for Weekend

Saturday, March 20, 2010

OLYMPIA — The Thurston County Sheriff’s Office has called off the search for Shantina “Kat” Smiley for the weekend. They will meet Monday morning to devise a strategy to locate the Silverdale woman, said spokesman Lt. Chris Mealy.

Smiley, 29, along with her 8-year-old son, Azriel Carver, was driving from their Silverdale home to her stepfather’s house in Castle Rock when they vanished on March 13. The van she was driving was found March 14, abandoned and partially submerged in water on a remote Puget Sound beach north of the Olympia area.

On Friday, Azriel’s body was found on a beach at the south end of Fox Island near Gig Harbor. The Pierce County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled the boy’s death as an accidental drowning. He was a second-grader at Vinland Elementary in North Kitsap.

Mealy said there were no more clues to report Saturday. Now that Azriel’s body has been found, the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office’s predominate theory — though not the only one — is that Smiley never got off the beach and wound up in the water, too. There were no sightings, and bloodhounds didn’t pick up scents away from the beach.

Based on how far out on the beach the van was found, it arrived there when the tide was at its lowest point, Mealy said. The water rose and washed them away. How that happened, nobody’s sure.

“The current is ferocious there,” Mealy said. “It’s not inconceivable at night, if one is disoriented or not thinking clearly, to wind up getting swept away by the water.”

Mealy asks anybody who has information to call the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office at (360) 786-5530, or their local law enforcement at 911.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.