March 29, 2024, 12:04:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass. Health Insurers wnat rate hikes of 8 to 32 percent, a/o April 1  (Read 1420 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: March 16, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »

Mass. Health Insurers Want Significant Rate Hikes

BOSTON (AP) ― Massachusetts health insurance companies have asked the state to approve significant rate hikes, weeks after Gov. Deval Patrick warned his administration might turn down increases it deemed excessive.

The insurers have asked for increases of 8 to 32 percent, starting April 1.

more here - http://wbztv.com/wireapnewsma/Mass.health.insurers.2.1542106.html

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:42:24 AM »

Mass. health reform not cited as reason for high hospital costs: study
By Melanie Evans
Posted: March 16, 2010 - 9:45 am ET

Massachusetts hospitals spent roughly 55% more per person than the average U.S. hospital in 2007, though not as a result of the state's health reform, a newly released study said.

Hospital expenses in Massachusetts, which reached $3,015 per person in 2007, have consistently exceeded the national average, which was $1,941 per person that year, a difference that amounts to $6.9 billion for the state. The study, by two Boston University health policy researchers, said fast-growing hospital costs in Massachusetts, not cost-control at U.S. hospitals, fueled a widening gap between Massachusetts and the nation.

Since 1997, Massachusetts hospital cost growth has outpaced the national average all but two years, with the most significant jump in 2006, the year the state passed its health reform law to significantly expand insurance coverage.

more here - http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20100316/NEWS/303169993#

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:49:14 AM »

Sager said it’s difficult to pin down a single cause for the increase, although he said his study rules out the state’s sweeping 2006 health care law as a factor.

He pointed to other factors including a heavy reliance on teaching hospitals, an "elaborate and expensive pattern of clinical services" and a decline in manufacturing companies, which he said added pressure to keeping health costs low so they could compete with companies in other states.

He also pointed to what he called a lack of political will.

"We’ve seen it possible to squeeze costs, but we’ve also seen, when pressure relaxes, for costs to explode again," he said.

Lessons for Obamacare?  No political will?

One of those scheduled to testify was Attorney General Martha Coakley, who planned to unveil a final report on her office’s investigation into what is driving up the cost of health care in the state.

A preliminary report released in January detailed what Coakley’s office called "serious systemwide failings in our commercial health care marketplace that threaten access to affordable, quality health care."

What about all those expensive teaching hospitals and services?

more here - http://www.bostonherald.com/business/healthcare/view/20100316report_mass_hospital_costs_on_the_rise_again/srvc=home&position=recent

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:50:50 AM »

from the comments-

vrasenas

Partners Health Care is behind these ridiculous rates. They are supposedly non profit yet they are building redundant hospitals and clinics where there are existing facilities. This capital spending increases their costs. So while they can claim to be non profit because they write off these expenditures against their revenues, they are raking in the dough hand over fist and trying to drive lower cost providers out of business. They also force insurance companies to reimburse them at a higher rate. I'm sure the top honchos also drive up the costs with their exorbitant salaries as well as their political campaign contributions.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.