March 29, 2024, 03:41:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bernanke wants to eliminate reserve requirements"  (Read 1148 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: March 18, 2010, 08:11:23 PM »

In sum, it says that Bernanke wants to eliminate minimum reserve requirements because it "impose costs and distortions on the banking system". Heres an excerpt:

Up until now, the United States has operated under a "fractional reserve" banking system.  Banks have always been required to keep a small fraction of the money deposited with them for a reserve, but were allowed to loan out the rest.  But now it turns out that Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke wants to completely eliminate minimum reserve requirements, which he says "impose costs and distortions on the banking system". At least that is what a footnote to his testimony before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Financial Services on February 10th says. So is Bernanke actually proposing that banks should be allowed to have no reserves at all?

That simply does not make any sense. But it is right there in black and white on the Federal Reserve's own website....

I don't even want to fathom what would happen if Bernanke succeeded in removing minimum reserve requirements.

http://caps.fool.com/Blogs/ViewPost.aspx?bpid=355494&t=01000344307283955476

#9) On March 18, 2010 at 4:58 PM, oldfashionedway  (48.33) wrote:

"Change you can believe in..."

The 'minimum reserve requirements' have been replaced by electronic funds transfers and the printing press.

Heaven help us.

#14) On March 18, 2010 at 7:31 PM, outoffocus  (< 20) wrote:

neutrinoman

Yea it does makes sense.  The big banks have such a sweet deal with the Fed they don't even want new deposits (of real money).  If thats not a sign of trouble I dont know what is.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.