April 26, 2024, 09:20:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted: Easy Soup Recipes  (Read 18949 times)
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« on: January 17, 2007, 12:39:56 PM »

Does anyone have any recipes for soup that I could make in a crockpot, or something easy like that?

Maybe a potato soup recipe?

We are having some really cold weather in Bamaland, and I'd like to make some homemade soup, but as a working single Mom, I don't have tons of time. All of my recipes are the old fashioned ones that take too long to pull together.

TIA!!!!

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:41:16 PM »

I love Crockpots!  Here is an easy, cheap one that my kids love.

Golfer's Stew

1 1/2 - 2 lbs of stew meat
1 can cream of celery
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 envelope onion soup (such as Lipton)
1 dash worcershire
1/4 cup water or milk (optional for more gravy, I add at end if needed)

Mix all ingredients in crockpot
Cook on low for about 6-8 hrs.

Serve over rice or mashed potatoes, with a side vegetable of choice.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:45:33 PM »

In a hurry, I make spaghetti sauce, chili, vegetable and bean soup in my Crockpot.  I'll prepare night before, put it in crockpot, stick it in fridge overnight, then in the morning before I leave for work, I turn it on low. Dinner done when I get home.

I'll

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 04:10:01 PM »

Do you have a good bean soup recipe Di?
I'm going to make the Golpher's stew next week! Thanks!!!

cubbeegirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 04:23:57 PM »

Don't know if your kids will eat this or not, but it is my mother-in-law's recipe, and it is yummy and really easy!!!!It calls for broccoli, but we sometimes used the broccoli , cauliflower mix:

Broccoli Soup

1 large bag frozen chopped broccoli ( 20 oz.)
1 carrot shredded
Cover vegetables with just enough water to cook until tender, do not drain veggies

Add 1 stick of butter or margarine

Make a paste of 3/4 cup of flour and cold water and slowly add 1 quart of Half and Half and add to the rest of the ingredients, stirring constangly. Add 1 tsp. salt.
Add about 3/4 lb. Velveeta cheese or to taste

Enjoy!!!

"Natalee deserves to return to her country...."
    ~ Beth Holloway Twitty ~

Fly free with the angels KK!

We will never forget you sweet Caylee!
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 09:00:47 PM »

My kids love brocolli - especially with cheese. I may have soup in the crock pot every night !!!
These recipes are just what I was looking for! Smile

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 10:38:03 PM »

I have to admit, I don't really measure when I make bean soup, but I'll give it my best guess.

I take a small bag of navy beans and soak them over night in crockpot.  Enough water to cover them about 2 inches above the "bean" line.  They will swell and soak up all the water.

I then take a small ham and cut it into chunks (or if in a real hurry, buy it cubed about 1 lb already cut)

1 med. onion  (I love lots of onion in bean soup)

salt and pepper to taste

I put the ham and cut onion in the beans add more water to about 1 inch above bean line and cook on low for 8 hrs.  (if beans are not completely done when I get home, I turn them on high for another hour or until done)

To make it even easier, you can buy cooked navy beans in a large jar and use them with the rest of the ingredients (no need to soak) and cook on low for 6-8 hrs.

I make texas cornbread to go with it.  (Cornbread mix, make as directed, then add about 1/4 cup of creamed corn, and about 2 oz. cheddar cheese  (add cut up banana pepper-optional), then mix and bake according to package.

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 10:40:24 PM »

Also, look in the freezer section at the grocery.  There are several brands of ready to make Crockpot dishes (everything cut up and sauce) you can buy.  They have meals such as Beef Stew and Chicken and Dumplings to name a few.  Not homeade of course, but not bad.

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 10:42:09 PM »

Cubbee,  that is my favorite soup!  I'm going to try it!  Thanks.

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 11:48:49 PM »

BEAN SOUP WITH POTATOES

1 pound dried navy beans, washed
3 quarts water
1 ham bone with meat
1 large onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 cup mashed potatoes
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup diced carrots
salt and pepper to taste
half a cup of light cream

Day before, put beans and water in large heavy saucepan; soak overnight. (or put over high heat, bring to boil rapidly for 2 minutes; then remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
Next day, add ham bone, onion, bay leaf and garlic.  Cover; simmer for 2 hours, or until beans are almost tender.
Add potatoes, celery, carrots, salt and pepper.  Cover; simmer 1 hour longer.
Remove ham bone from soup.  Cut off meat; dice it.  Return meat to soup.  Reheat just to boiling.
Stir in cream just before serving.

If cooking in crock pot you could just dice the potatoes instead of using mashed.  Also could use the short cuts with ham as Dihannah suggests.

Taken from my well used cook book  "America Cooks" from General Federation of Women's Clubs,  sent to me by a very dear friend in NJ now passed away.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 12:15:11 AM »

Same book also has a white sauce which you can make and keep in refrigerator and mix with other ingredients to make a variety of cream soups.  Looks like it would be a good standby for busy working mums.
Hope it is useful :

FOUNDATION WHITE SAUCE FOR CREAM SOUPS.

3  tablespoons butter
4  tablespoons flour
half teaspoon salt
pinch of pepper
2  cups hot milk

Melt butter in saucepan.  Stir in flour, salt and pepper.  Add milk.  Cook, stirring, until thickened and smooth.
Use immediately, or cool and then store in covered container in refrigerator.         Makes about 2 cups.

Cream of Corn Soup
2 cups above white sauce, add 2 cups cooked corn kernals and 1 onion thinly sliced; heat; season to taste.

Cream of Pea or Asparagus Soup
2 cups above white sauce, add 2 and a half cups pea or asparagus puree and  1 teaspoon grated onion; heat; season to taste.

Cream of Potato Soup
2 cups above white sauce, add 2 cups cooked potatoes, 1 cup potato water and  1 tablespoon grated onion; heat; season to taste.

Cream of Spinach or Cauliflower Soup
2 cups above white sauce, add 1 and a half cups spinach or cauliflower puree and half a teaspoon sugar; heat; season to taste.

Cream of Tomato Soup
2 cups above white sauce, add 2 and a half cups tomato puree, pinch of baking soda and 1 teaspoon grated onion; heat; season to taste.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
cubbeegirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 01:25:59 AM »

Quote from: "Dihannah1"
Cubbee,  that is my favorite soup!  I'm going to try it!  Thanks.

My pleasure... always great to share with friends, I had never had it with the cauliflower in it until mother - in - law made some over the holidays. We really enjoyed it that way also, so now we have two great soups to make instead of one... and it is fast to make...always a plus!!!

~ Beth Holloway Twitty ~

cubbeegirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 01:29:01 AM »

Quote from: "Dihannah1"
I have to admit, I don't really measure when I make bean soup, but I'll give it my best guess.

I take a small bag of navy beans and soak them over night in crockpot.  Enough water to cover them about 2 inches above the "bean" line.  They will swell and soak up all the water.

I then take a small ham and cut it into chunks (or if in a real hurry, buy it cubed about 1 lb already cut)

1 med. onion  (I love lots of onion in bean soup)

salt and pepper to taste

I put the ham and cut onion in the beans add more water to about 1 inch above bean line and cook on low for 8 hrs.  (if beans are not completely done when I get home, I turn them on high for another hour or until done)

To make it even easier, you can buy cooked navy beans in a large jar and use them with the rest of the ingredients (no need to soak) and cook on low for 6-8 hrs.

I make texas cornbread to go with it.  (Cornbread mix, make as directed, then add about 1/4 cup of creamed corn, and about 2 oz. cheddar cheese  (add cut up banana pepper-optional), then mix and bake according to package.

I make the same cornbread only add rotel tomatoes. You can either use regular or milder...

~ Beth Holloway Twitty ~

crazybabyborg
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 09:32:40 AM »

BEEF WITH CABBAGE SOUP

INGREDIENTS:
1-lb. lean beef, browned and drained
1 med. cabbage, chopped
1 med. to large onion, chopped
2 cans (15 oz) chopped tomatoes, juice and all
2 cans undrained red kidney beans
.......plus 2 cans water
2 T. worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. oregano
salt and pepper to taste (or boullion cube in place of salt)
OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
PREPARATION:
Place all ingredients either in a crock pot for 6-8 hours or in a soup kettle for 1-1 1/2 hours covered, slowly simmer. Remove bay leaf before serving

I make this in winter and it's good and easy. If you've ever had Shoney's soup, and like it, then you'll like this.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 09:46:30 AM »

SHOOT, I forgot to add corn to the recipe above! The above is the original recipe, so I just copied it, but I usually add canned corn to it, and have also added macaroni.

I always have cornbread with soup, and I swear by "3 Rivers" cornmeal with whatever recipe you're following. The recipe on the bag is great.

CHILI in the crockpot is a staple at my house in winter, but I don't measure and wouldn't know how to post a recipe for it. I will say that "French"s" original CHILI-O is by far the best package of seasoning to use. I just brown and drain good ground beef, add diced tomatoes to taste along with canned Dark Red Kidney Beans and the Chilo packets to taste. Throw it all in a crockpot on low, and it's ready when you are.
Chili never goes to waste here, because whatever is left over gets poured over Nacho Chips and topped with grated cheese, for a great snack with ballgames, or whenever!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 11:41:01 AM »

pdh3, this was a recipe Rick did and it was so easy but for beef BBQ in the crockpot?

1 to 2 whole london broils
salt & pepper <liberal>
BBQ sauce <we like Bone Suckin Sauce and yes that's a brand name>

Place london broil in crockpot, season, and cover with water. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Drain the beef and shred with a fork, add your favorite BBQ sauce and serve in sandwiches or alone with rolls.

I continue to stand with the girl.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 06:44:31 PM »

I am so grateful to all of you for these wonderful recipes. I'm adding them all to my collection, and I'm trying them one by one. They all sound so good, and so easy.
It would be nice to come home and not have to worry about dinner for a change!
My kids love soup, so I'm sure we'll be happy campers next week!

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 12:01:15 AM »

I'm grateful to the crock pot monkeys. Now I am inspired to get out my three tiered kitchen stool and climb up to the top shelf and bring my old fashioned (it still works) crock pot down to counter level. It's a Rival. Very happy at the thought of using it again.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 03:31:54 PM »

I make my roasts in the crockpot.  They come out so tender and moist, melt in your mouth.  Throw ingredients in crockpot in the morning, dinner done 8 - 10 hrs later!

Just add a pot roast, potatoes and carrots (and I use 1 envelope of Onion soup for the onions and flavoring) with a little water.   Everything is done when I get home, except for gravy from the liquid, if you choose to make gravy.

Last night I made a pork roast and sauerkraut in crockpot.  Just throw roast and kraut in, add a little dill seed and water.  
Made mashed pototoes when I got home.

I have a crockpot cookbook I need to dig out.  You all got me on a roll Smile

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 11:02:41 PM »

Crockpots are one of the greatest kitchen inventions ever. The food is good and so easy to prepare. And only one pot, too!!!

I make pot roast in my crock pot too. I use a rump roast, which I brown first, then pop into the crock pot with a family size can of cream of mushroom soup, an envelope of Lipton's Onion Soup Mix, and a little garlic powder and pepper. I cook it on low all day...about 8 hours. There's lots of good gravy for the mashed potatoes!

Here's another good recipe for the crock pot. I cut up 1 package of fresh Italian sausage into 2 inch pieces, and brown them, then drain. In my crock pot I put 1 large jar of plain Ragu spaghetti sauce. I add a medium onion cut into large pieces, and a large bell pepper, also cut into big pieces. Then I add the sausage, and cook it all day. I serve it over angel hair pasta with fresh parmesan cheese and a salad. It's just delicious in the cold weather!

Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.