April 25, 2024, 04:08:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted: Easy Soup Recipes  (Read 18928 times)
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 11:22:17 PM »

Mmmm, pdh3 that sounds so good! I'm going to have to try that one.  And the rest of you monkeys just gave me some good ideas too.

See pdh has helped us all out too, by starting this thread.  Been awhile since having a recipe thread.  Crockpots are the BEST kitchen appliance ever!

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 11:43:31 PM »

I think Monkeys are just the best at participating, and offering ideas. I have replenished my recipe book with all these new recipes, and I'm excited about cooking again. My son likes to cook too, so we're gong to have a lot of fun!

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 12:13:52 AM »

I would enjoy a recipe thread also.  I was fascinated by all the different dishes you were talking about for Thanksgiving, and it kept me entertained  looking up the ingredients in my American cookbook.  So different to our food.  I think you call Turkey dressing what we would call stuffing?  Has breadcrumbs and herb seasonings. I have a friend who is English but married to an American (Maryland) ex Marine living out here now and she makes the most wonderful corn bread.  I have tried many times to copy it with exactly the same ingredients but it always ends up more of a sponge texture than a loaf.  Anyway good cooking, monkeys

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 03:38:31 PM »

Tibro.....speaking as a Southerner from Alabama, this is how we define the difference between stuffing and dressing.
Dressing is made from cornbread, and stuffing is made from white bread. My ex husband is from Michigan, and they made stuffing from white bread, and put it inside the turkey to cook in his home state. In Alabama, my family and friends make dressing, and cook it in the oven in a separate pan. The Turkey may or may not be stuffed with something, but we always have a big pan of dressing. And dressing recipes are very important.....mine is a family recipe over 150 years old, with a few modifications for modern cooking. My grandmother was known for her fabulous dressing, and she got it from her Mama. She taught my Mama, and I'm teaching my daughters to make dressing.
I know that in some areas of the country they use all kinds of ingredients in stuffing, such as oysters. But we don't put that in dressing at all as far as I know.
A recipe thread is a wonderful idea!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 03:09:13 PM »

pdh3-

I just found this on the splash page for MSN, thought I'd post it here for you, TEN recipes for crockpot soups !

http://tinyurl.com/25bkwa

I continue to stand with the girl.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 04:00:08 PM »

none....you are the best!!!!! Thanks so much for thinking of me! I 'm going there now.

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007, 11:20:57 PM »

So have you been a little cooking Monkey fiend this week?   Laughing

Hope you've had a chance to try a few and that the kids liked them.  I even got a few for myself!

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2007, 11:23:14 PM »

Quote from: "Tibrogargan"
I would enjoy a recipe thread also.  I was fascinated by all the different dishes you were talking about for Thanksgiving, and it kept me entertained  looking up the ingredients in my American cookbook.  So different to our food.  I think you call Turkey dressing what we would call stuffing?  Has breadcrumbs and herb seasonings. I have a friend who is English but married to an American (Maryland) ex Marine living out here now and she makes the most wonderful corn bread.  I have tried many times to copy it with exactly the same ingredients but it always ends up more of a sponge texture than a loaf.  Anyway good cooking, monkeys

You'll have to ask Mrs. Red if she has any of the SM cookbooks we put together a year ago.  Oh my, were there alot of awesome recipes in that book!   Very Happy

Artcolley
Monkey Junky

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 09:36:10 AM »

I love Beef Barley soup and especially on cold days like we are having here. (7 degrees this morning)

As many of you know, I have a wood cookstove in my old farm kitchen and just love cooking on it! I always have a kettle for tea and a pot of soup on the stove in the Winter. People often stop by just to sit in a rocker by the fire and enjoy the warmth and a hot cuppa soup!
This is my favorite and one I'll make today.

I don't measure anything, so you can dress this soup up or down! Its SO easy to make!

I take a soup pot and put in a beef soupbone. Cover with two boxes of Swanson(or any brand) soup stock. Add 1/4 head of cabbage (this thickens any soup and makes it hardy)  two whole onions and any other veggies you may want or not want! I usually add leftover veggies, carrots, etc

Then just let it boil til meat is tender and cabbage cooked. At the very end, I throw in the barley. Usually several handfulls, proabably half a small box(?). (as I said, I don't measure!)
season to taste.

This can go all day or it can be served as soon as everything is tender and ready!!!!

Enjoy!
Oh yes, it is also "dog friendly" and won't upset their tummies!
Katysmom
Monkey Junky

Everyone needs a helping hand once in a while

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 12:05:50 PM »

This is the easiest vegetable beef soup and we love it!  1 sm. beef roast about 2lbs.  cut it up into small chunks.  add about 6 cans of mixed vegetables (I add 1-2 cans of corn because the mixed veg. is usually mostly carrots and potatoes).  Season to your own taste and cook in the crockpot until the meat is tender.  It's the best!!  We make a big batch and freeze half of it for later

If love could of saved you, you would of lived forever
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2007, 01:00:47 PM »

Quote from: "Dihannah1"
So have you been a little cooking Monkey fiend this week?   Laughing

Hope you've had a chance to try a few and that the kids liked them.  I even got a few for myself!

I made the Golfer's Stew, and my kids loved it. We had it 2 nights in a row, cause I made a big batch! I'm trying the brocolli soup this weekend, and another one too, but I haven't decided which one to do yet. Next week I'm making the BBQ that none posted. It's fun to make all these different things, and my kids like to help. It's going to be bitter cold for Bamaland over the weekend, so soup is perfect for us.

oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2007, 01:35:14 PM »

Quote from: "Katysmom"
This is the easiest vegetable beef soup and we love it!  1 sm. beef roast about 2lbs.  cut it up into small chunks.  add about 6 cans of mixed vegetables (I add 1-2 cans of corn because the mixed veg. is usually mostly carrots and potatoes).  Season to your own taste and cook in the crockpot until the meat is tender.  It's the best!!  We make a big batch and freeze half of it for later

Katysmom
Vigie Soup is so flexible !!!  you can use canned, frozen, fresh, left-over vegies.  And even include Beef

I always include some sort of pasta type noodle (pre cooked). Either break into small pieces before cooking or chopped-up cooked ones  AND 1 can of beef consommé and 1 small can of V8 juice
 Smile

It is NOT over !!! If you believe good prevails and that the truth comes forward then justice will be handed out.  I want answers!
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 04:26:47 PM »

Quote from: "Artcolley"
I love Beef Barley soup and especially on cold days like we are having here. (7 degrees this morning)

As many of you know, I have a wood cookstove in my old farm kitchen and just love cooking on it! I always have a kettle for tea and a pot of soup on the stove in the Winter. People often stop by just to sit in a rocker by the fire and enjoy the warmth and a hot cuppa soup!
This is my favorite and one I'll make today.

I don't measure anything, so you can dress this soup up or down! Its SO easy to make!

I take a soup pot and put in a beef soupbone. Cover with two boxes of Swanson(or any brand) soup stock. Add 1/4 head of cabbage (this thickens any soup and makes it hardy)  two whole onions and any other veggies you may want or not want! I usually add leftover veggies, carrots, etc

Then just let it boil til meat is tender and cabbage cooked. At the very end, I throw in the barley. Usually several handfulls, proabably half a small box(?). (as I said, I don't measure!)
season to taste.

This can go all day or it can be served as soon as everything is tender and ready!!!!

Enjoy!
Oh yes, it is also "dog friendly" and won't upset their tummies!

Artcolley, or anyone who can help --- I feel silly asking this, but what is a soupbone?  Can you get on at the local supermarket?  What section?  Embarassed  Thanks in advance!!
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 04:28:11 PM »

That should read "can you get one at the local supermarket?"
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 09:57:23 PM »

A's-

I''m not artcolley but soup bones are usually something you can request at the meat dept of any major grocer or corner butcher store. The marrow in the bones is what gives extra flavor to the soup. So just ask and I'm sure they can help you.

I continue to stand with the girl.
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 09:58:44 PM »

Quote from: "A's Fever"
That should read "can you get one at the local supermarket?"

Hi A's fever :
I guess a soup bone is the same wherever so I will answer you.   Laughing
What I know as a soupbone is a beef shin bone.  You can get them from a butcher and sometimes I have seen them in the local supermarket usually in the fresh meat or pets fresh meat section as a lot of folk buy them for their dogs to chew on as well.  If you get from a butcher they will saw through the bone into two or three shorter pieces and then the marrow is able to cook into the soup.  Yummy.  You can also get bags of soup bones but these are usually lamb rib bones I think.  Just gives a different flavour to the soup.  Hope I have helped.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 02:54:12 PM »

Shell
Monkey Junky

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 04:51:41 AM »

I am adding this recipe to this thread, although I have posted on another food thread, just not under soups.

Tortilla Soup

SERVES: 4
It's the tortillas that give it a slight thickness and a special flavor.

ingredients:

6 tablespoons cooking oil
8 6-inch corn tortillas, halved and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
1 onion, chopped
4 large cloves garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 quarts canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
3 cups canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree (one 28-ounce can)
2 bay leaves
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup lightly-packed cilantro *(a must)leaves plus 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
1 3/4 pounds boneless, skinless cooked chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1 avocado, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/4 pound cheddar, grated
Lime wedges, for serving *(I don't always use the lime)

directions:

1. In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add half the tortilla strips and cook, stirring, until pale golden, about 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining tortilla strips.
2. Reduce the heat to moderately low. Add the onion, garlic, and spices; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, cilantro leaves, if using, and one-third of the tortilla strips. Bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes; remove the bay leaves.
3. In a blender, puree the soup in batches (if you put too much in the blender it ends up all over, and you have a big mess) I know, I did it   ; pour it back into the pot. Add the chicken, bring the soup back to a simmer, and simmer until just cooked through, about 1 minute. Stir in the avocado. *(I do not stir avo in. I put the avocado chunks on the top when serving)
4. To serve, put the remaining tortilla strips in bowls, top with the cheese, and pour in the soup. *(I put in the strips in a bowl, pour in soup and top with grated cheese/avo chunks, sprinkle with the chopped cilantro , if using, and serve with the lime wedges.

*Avatar courtesy of CBB, a very talented and sweet monkey. Peaches and 2NJ, may you rest in peace. You will never be forgotten.
Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2009, 04:58:10 AM »

I just made a big pot of soup, didnt use crockpot, but you could.  Fry up some chopped bacon pieces (about a handfull) with 2 chopped onions, then add one chopped large zuccinni, or 2 medium ones.  Add 3 chicken stock cubes and water, or chicken stock to cover.  Boil up.  Then get a stick blender or vitamizer to puree it all, then add one can of evaporated milk at the end.  Its so creamy without the fat of heavy cream.  You can do the same with pumpkin too. 

JNGA
Scared Monkey

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2009, 07:56:56 AM »

Ok I know theres already a broccoili soup recipe, but I do mine a little different so here it is:

Chicken Broccoili Soup

1 box or 2 cans chicken broth
1 bag frozen broccoili
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 or 2 chicken breast (I use one because I don't want it too meaty)
3 chicken boullian cubes crushed (optional to add more of a chicken flavor)

*Pour the chicken broth in a pan and bring to a boil
*Add the boullian cubes now if you want to
*Add the bag of frozen broccoili and let cook until broccoili is thawed and cooked good.
*While boiling the broccoili grill or cook the chicken breast (I don't season it as it will change the flavor of the soup if you do) 
  (I cook mine on my George Forman hamburger grill)
*Shredd the chicken up
*Mix the cream of chicken in and stir until it's well mixed and hot
*Throw the chicken in and it's done
Pages: « 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.