April 25, 2024, 01:41:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EU gets smart about danger of hedge funds...and Geithner?  (Read 1466 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: March 24, 2010, 07:42:30 PM »

ome readers have asked to see the full text of the letter  that Sen. Charles Schumer sent to U.S. Treasury Secretary Timother Geithner on Tuesday threatening retaliatory legislation if the European Union passes a law that will effectively bar U.S. funds from marketing in the bloc. The letter, dated March 23, appears in full below.

Dear Secretary Geithner,

I am writing you out of deep concern about proposals circulating in the European Union that would overtly discriminate against American funds. There are multiple proposals under consideration, but they would all have the effect of significantly limiting or even prohibiting non-EU investment funds from marketing in the EU, despite the fact that EU-based funds have full access to our markets.

I fully support your letter, dated March 1st, 2010, to European Commissioner Michel Barnier, and I respectfully urge you to work with Mr. Barnier, the European Council and the European Parliament to ensure the adoption of provisions that will not discriminate against U.S. firms.  Just as EU-based funds and custodian banks currently have full access to our market, U.S.-based funds and custodian banks should similarly not arbitrarily be denied access to the European market.

more here - http://blogs.wsj.com/brussels/2010/03/24/schumers-hedge-fund-letter-to-geithner/

Maybe hedge funds, derivatives, and CDS's are just bad ideas? 

Time to just say no?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 07:43:15 PM »

from the comments -

o 6:48 pm March 24, 2010
          o Anonymous wrote:

I can tell you right now that the attitude of the Europeans toward US financial instituitions borders on disgust. Because of the involvement of US-based banks (such as GS, Citi) in Greece and other small towns across the continent, somehow the image of the US has been transformed from a leader in technology into a country that produces only Madoff-like ponzi scheme creators. This is a sad stuation.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.