March 19, 2024, 12:54:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kayleah Wilson Disappeared Sun. 3/28/10, Greeley, CO (BODY FOUND)  (Read 365067 times)
ArmChairAnalysist
Scared Monkey

« Reply #660 on: June 06, 2010, 03:46:21 PM »

I too am curious about the foster care. Was her brother (the very young one) also in foster care? I don't know much about foster care or why they would put your child in foster care, but it must have been court ordered. If April had a boyfriend wouldn't  the media have told us by now.

Mary I'm curious about your thoughts. I personally think she was killed by someone she knew or who knew her well. They didn't travel far from the area before they killed. That would suggest someone without transportation (perps usually take their victims to remote locations), perhaps, someone young or someone who has never killed before.

If Montoya cared for Kayleah I don't see a motive for killing her. Unless he accidentally killed her, but I would think he would confess out of guilt or grief. Did April threaten to send him to jail for rape? Was April informed about the day that Montoya showed up at Kayleah's school? Did Montoya's mother know her son was sleeping with a 12 year old?

The question is if he didn't do it. Who did?
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #661 on: June 14, 2010, 08:06:52 PM »

Read this in an article sometime back:

Robert Laurencio Montoya, 18, waived a hearing to reduce his $100,000 bond. A judge set his next court date for June 15.

And tomorrow is the 15th.  So am hoping that some sort of update will be in the news following court tomorrow. 

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #662 on: June 15, 2010, 08:32:06 PM »

Montoya appears in court over Kayleah Wilson case
  Staff written by: Jeffrey Wolf  Adam Chodak     1 hr ago

GREELEY - Robert Laurencio Montoya, the 18-year-old accused of having sex with 12-year-old Kayleah Wilson, appeared in a Weld County courtroom Tuesday afternoon.

Montoya appeared in court looking different after having his hair cut.

Kayleah's body was found in a Greeley drainage ditch May 19 after she went missing for nearly two months. Police say she was murdered.

Motoya was arrested on a sexual assault on a child charge the same day Wilson's body was found. In an arrest affidavit, he admits to having sex with the underage girl. Wilson also allegedly told friends she might be pregnant, according to the affidavit.

Montoya is being held in Weld County jail for the child felony on a $100,000 bond.

Montoya is not charged in Wilson's murder, and police have not named him a suspect in that investigation.

Some of his family members showed up to court on Tuesday. Michelle Galloway, his aunt, says she does not believe he killed Kayleah.

"I don't think so. Nothing came up until they got him for what they're charging him with, but I've never heard of any incidents. It's all news to us," she said.

According to the affidavit, Montoya lived with Wilson for a short time. When the mother of the alleged victim confronted her daughter and Montoya about having sex, he admitted to it.

Montoya also allegedly tried to see the victim without her mother's knowledge several times after he was told to stay away, including hiding outside her middle school after they had broken up.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=141070&provider=top&catid=188

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #663 on: June 15, 2010, 08:35:20 PM »

SNIPPED

At Tuesday's hearing, Judge Marcelo Kopcow continued the case to July 22, where they will discuss bond reduction for Montoya. He is currently being held on $100,000 bond.

At the hearing Tuesday was Montoya's aunt Michelle Galloway, who said she was there to show family support. After the hearing she said she doesn't think he was responsible for Kayleah's death. “There could still be a killer out there,” Galloway said.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100615/NEWS/100619776/1005&parentprofile=1001

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #664 on: June 15, 2010, 11:11:44 PM »

Thanks for the updates! 

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #665 on: June 16, 2010, 01:56:56 PM »

Police Still Investigating Several People In Kayleah Slaying
Adult Boyfriend Charged With Sexually Assaulting 12-Year-Old Girl

UPDATED: 11:15 pm MDT June 15, 2010

GREELEY, Colo. -- Nearly a month after Kayleah Wilson's body was found in a ditch, police said they're still investigating several "persons of interest" in the 12-year-old's slaying.

Homicide investigators said they haven't narrowed their focus to the girl's ex-boyfriend, 18-year-old Robert Laurencio Montoya, who was arrested hours after Kayleah's badly decomposed body was found May 19 in an irrigation ditch just a half mile from her home.

Neither, apparently, has the victim’s family.

Kayleah’s brother, Mackenzie Jamison, told 7NEWS, “We’re just waiting until this gets solved. We’re going to sit, wait and pray.”

When asked if family members believed Montoya was responsible for Kayleah’s death, Jamison replied, “I have no comment about that.”

He went on to say, “We’re about peace and not so much about pointing fingers.”

Cheryl Fendrich knew Kayleah and her circle of friends. She said Kayleah used to call her “grandma.”

I’m just hoping and praying that they find who did this to her,” Fendrich told 7NEWS.

When asked if she thinks police know who killed Kayleah, Fendrich replied, “I think they do. I just think they need to get all the evidence together.”

Fendrich said she doesn’t believe Montoya was responsible for Kayleah’s death.

“But I think it was somebody she was close to,” Fendrich added.

Montoya, who was at a court hearing Tuesday in Weld County Court, was charged last month with sexual assault on a child and two counts of sexual assault on a child as a pattern of abuse -- both are felonies but are not related to the girl's death. Police said he admitted having sex with Kayleah on numerous occasions, according to an arrest affidavit.

Read Robert Laurencio Montoya's Arrest Affidavit.

Police stressed that Montoya has not been arrested or charged in connection with the girl's slaying. But he remains a person of interest.

"The investigation continues to proceed in a manner that does not eliminate any person of interest," Greeley police spokesman Sgt. Joe Tymkowych told TheDenverChannel.com Tuesday.

"Investigators have not identified a suspect, and continue to follow all leads."

Montoya’s aunt, Michelle Galloway, attended the court hearing.

Afterward, she told 7NEWS that she didn’t think he was responsible for the girl’s death.

“That never came up,” Galloway said. “Nothing came up until they got him for what they’ve accused him of, sexual assault.”

Both Galloway and her mother, Rhoda, said there may still be a killer on the loose.

They said they came to the court hearing to show Montoya that he has family support.

Montoya remains in jail on $100,000 bond.

Montoya's preliminary hearing and bond reduction hearing was set for July 22.

Kayleah's Murder Still Unresolved

The Kayleah Wilson case has gripped Greeley since the girl vanished March 28 on her way to a birthday party. For nearly two months, family, friends and strangers volunteered on search parties, scouring fields, ponds and irrigation canals in the area.

New revelations have come to light since her body was found.

Kayleah's mother allowed Montoya to move into her Greeley home in October 2009 for about three months, the arrest affidavit said.

However, April Wilson, Kayleah's mother, said she threw Montoya out of her house and ordered him to stop seeing Kayleah after the young couple admitted having a sexual relationship in early January, the affidavit said.

Wilson said Kayleah was initially "very angry" "but she eventually stopped talking about her relationship with Robert Montoya and seemed to be moving past him," the affidavit said.

Kayleah called the ex-boyfriend a "stalker freak" and told Montoya to leave her alone a month before she disappeared, the affidavit said.

Montoya said their relationship ended in mid-February, the affidavit said.

Montoya, who is 6 feet tall, 190 pounds, said that Kayleah "would frequently try and get him to physically abuse her during their sexual encounters," but Montoya denied physically abusing the girl, the affidavit said.

Montoya said that he kept trying to see Kayleah and would sometimes hide in the bushes outside her home and try to contact her at Brentwood Middle School, the affidavit said. Police were called to the girl's school Feb. 19 after Montoya was caught peeking in the windows, police said.

Kayleah told friends "about possibly being pregnant," the affidavit said. But a Weld County coroner official said an autopsy found no evidence the girl was pregnant.

Kayleah's mother said Montoya's mother, Roxanne Montoya, had asked her son and 16-year-old daughter to move out of the Montoya home, so Roxanne Montoya could have a relationship with Jonas Garcia, a 48-year-old convicted sex offender prohibited from being around children, the affidavit said.

Previous Stories:
May 27, 2010: Coroner: No Evidence Kayleah Was Pregnant
May 27, 2010: Kayleah Told 'Stalker Freak' Ex-Boyfriend To Leave Her Alone
May 26, 2010: Hundreds Mourn Kayleah Wilson
May 24, 2010: Memorial For Kayleah Wilson Set For Tuesday
May 21, 2010: Kayleah Wilson's Boyfriend Arrested
May 21, 2010: Arrestan A Joven Acusado De Asaltar Sexualmente A Kayleah Wilson
May 20, 2010: Police: Body In Ditch Was Kayleah Wilson; She Was Killed
May 20, 2010: Why Wasn't Body Found During Previous Searches For Missing Girl?
May 20, 2010: Vigil Held For Kayleah Wilson
May 20, 2010: No ID Yet On Body Found In Greeley Ditch
April 28, 2010: False Text Messages Claim Greeley Girl Found Dead
April 16, 2010: FBI: If Girl Abducted, Kidnapper May Exhibit Behavior Changes
April 10, 2010: Volunteers Pick Up Search For Missing Girl
April 10, 2010: Search For Missing Greeley Girl Intensifies
April 5, 2010: FBI Offers $10,000 Reward In Kayleah Wilson Search
April 5, 2010: FBI Gets More Than 200 Tips In Search For Missing Girl
April 4, 2010: How You Can Help Find Kayleah Wilson
April 4, 2010: Searchers Comb Fields Near Missing Girl's Home
April 2, 2010: Police, FBI Stymied In Search For Missing Greeley Girl
April 1, 2010: Search Expands For Missing Greeley Girl
April 1, 2010: FBI Joins Search For Missing Greeley Girl
March 30, 2010: 12-Year-Old Greeley Girl Missing

all the above dated links are clickable here:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23906477/detail.html

ArmChairAnalysist
Scared Monkey

« Reply #666 on: June 16, 2010, 10:18:57 PM »

I wonder if the police have investigated into the text messages of Kayleah's body being found before it was found. Did they know something to be texting that info?
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #667 on: June 17, 2010, 08:24:08 AM »

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23906477/detail.html
snippd
Kayleah's mother said Montoya's mother, Roxanne Montoya, had asked her son and 16-year-old daughter to move out of the Montoya home, so Roxanne Montoya could have a relationship with Jonas Garcia, a 48-year-old convicted sex offender prohibited from being around children, the affidavit said.

wonder if the LE are looking into Jonas Garcia, maybe Kayleah was exposed to Garcia,
at some point b4 her and Montoya, were found out by mom

greely must just be one of those towns
Gary Faulkner: Man with Greeley ties claiming to be hunting bin Laden arrested in Pakistan
http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100615/NEWS/100619788/1004&parentprofile=1001

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #668 on: June 17, 2010, 06:51:50 PM »

From a recent article upthread:

"Kayleah’s brother, Mackenzie Jamison, told 7NEWS, “We’re just waiting until this gets solved. We’re going to sit, wait and pray.”

When asked if family members believed Montoya was responsible for Kayleah’s death, Jamison replied, “I have no comment about that.”

He went on to say, “We’re about peace and not so much about pointing fingers.

~~~~

Please tell me I did not just read this from a supposed LOVED ONE of Kayleah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Who does this?????????????  when a loved one goes missing, later found dead. 

Well....... <pulling myself together>  her brother, her family, must be on a list somewhere for sainthood...

Where is the outrage for this little girl?  The demanding of justice being brought on her behalf?  The knowledge that someone, somewhere, could still be out there, lurking, waiting, for the opportunity to do this to another child????

I wish her family the best in sitting back, being all about peace and stuff. 

ArmChairAnalysist
Scared Monkey

« Reply #669 on: June 19, 2010, 01:36:59 PM »

It sounds to me like Kayleah's family is not to interested in helping solve her murder. They don't appear to care one way or another if her killer is ever found. Are we positive the family has been cleared as a suspect?

It appears that she was killed by someone she knew. If she knew them wouldn't her family know them as well? Wouldn't they want that person brought to justice? How many older people outside the family can a 12 year old know.

Also if Montoya's friends knew he was having sex with a 12 year old girl, how many would try and have sex with her after the breakup. The suspect could be in Montoya's pool of friends. Who were his friends?
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #670 on: July 19, 2010, 11:53:56 PM »

From a recent article upthread:

"Kayleah’s brother, Mackenzie Jamison, told 7NEWS, “We’re just waiting until this gets solved. We’re going to sit, wait and pray.”

He went on to say, “We’re about peace and not so much about pointing fingers.

~~~~

Please tell me I did not just read this from a supposed LOVED ONE of Kayleah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Who does this?????????????  when a loved one goes missing, later found dead. 

Well....... <pulling myself together>  her brother, her family, must be on a list somewhere for sainthood...

Where is the outrage for this little girl?  The demanding of justice being brought on her behalf?  The knowledge that someone, somewhere, could still be out there, lurking, waiting, for the opportunity to do this to another child????

I wish her family the best in sitting back, being all about peace and stuff. 

I couldn't agree more Wyks, this is crazy.  With that kind of response I can't help but wonder what all the family has to hide? 

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #671 on: July 27, 2010, 04:43:12 PM »

Jul 22, 2010 6:13 pm US/Mountain

Kayleah Wilson's Ex-Boyfriend To Stand Trial
GREELEY, Colo. (CBS4/AP) ―

An 18-year-old accused of having a sexual relationship with a missing Greeley girl who was found dead has been ordered to stand trial.

A Weld County district judge on Thursday scheduled a four-day jury trial for Roberto Laurencio Montoya starting Nov. 15.

He's accused of having sex with 12-year-old Kayleah Wilson.

Defense lawyers told the judge Montoya and Wilson had sex once before Montoya turned 18. Prosecutors say their relationship continued after Montoya turned 18.

Kayleah's mother, April Wilson, testified at Thursday's hearing that she confronted her daughter and Montoya in January, and said, "he finally admitted that they had had sex."

Wilson said she immediately tried to put a stop to the relationship, and told the judge, "I kicked him out and I tried to make sure they were never together again."

Kayleah Wilson was missing for two months before her boy was found in a ditch in Greeley on May 19. Her friends said she had talked about possibly being pregnant but investigators say an autopsy didn't indicate that she had been pregnant.

A police investigator testified that no DNA evidence tied Montoya to Kayleah's body.

Montoya's attorney told the judge that Montoya passed a lie detector test, stating that he had nothing to do with Kayleah's disappearance.

However, Montoya's bond stayed the same.

http://cbs4denver.com/news/missing.Greeley.kayleah.2.1819838.html

Ok so if she wasn't pregnant and Montoya passed a lie detector test, who would have done this?  The big question is are they still looking for who is responsible?  This is very disturbing. 

Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #672 on: July 27, 2010, 04:50:48 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:03:45 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #673 on: August 05, 2010, 10:03:57 PM »

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100723/NEWS/100729863/1002&parentprofile=1001
Kayleah's ex will go to trial in November
July 23, 2010

What's next?
Robert Montoya's next court hearing has been set for 2 p.m. Sept. 24. His pre-trial hearing will be Nov. 8., and trial will begin Nov. 15.

The ex-boyfriend of 12-year-old homicide victim Kayleah Wilson will go to trial on sexual assault charges in November.

A judge refused to reduce Robert Montoya's $100,000 bond Thursday, meaning he will probably remain jailed until his four-day trial begins Nov. 15.

The bid to reduce Montoya's bond was only part of a hearing Thursday in which a police detective said the 18-year-old admitted that he and Kayleah had sex 10-15 times — both before and after he turned 18.

The age is important because it could determine if Montoya was an adult or juvenile at the time. He has been charged with sexual assault on a child because of Kayleah's age and the six-year difference in their ages.

Montoya is being held in Weld County Jail on charges of sex assault on a child and sexual assault with a pattern of abuse.

In Kayleah's killing, Montoya has been identified by police as a “person of interest,” but is not a suspect at this time. His attorney said Thursday that Montoya had passed a lie detector test, indicating he was not involved in her death.

Montoya moved in with the Wilson family after his mother told her children they couldn't live with her anymore because she was living with a registered sex offender. Montoya was friends with Kayleah's brother, Mackenzie Wilson.

In court Thursday, police also said there was no evidence in the autopsy that Kayleah was pregnant.

The 12-year-old disappeared March 28, and her body was found two months later in a Greeley irrigation ditch.

She had previously told friends she might be pregnant, but Greeley police Detective Christian Morgan said there was no evidence in the autopsy that she was pregnant. An early pregnancy might not show up in the autopsy, Morgan said, and her body was badly decomposed when it was found.

Kayleah's mother, April Wilson, testified Thursday that Montoya lived with her family for about three months, until she discovered Montoya and her daughter were having sex. “I had a gut feeling something was going on between them,” Wilson said, “and I confronted them in January. I kicked him out at that time and tried to make sure they'd not be together again.”

However, she said she found Montoya and Kayleah talking at a closed auto dealership near their home in mid-February, and again told them to stay away from each other. She had been told by Montoya and her daughter that they'd had sex only one time.

Montoya turned 18 on Jan. 18. If the couple did not have sex after that date, he would be considered a juvenile and could be tried as a juvenile. However, Morgan testified that Montoya told police the couple had sex after his 18th birthday.

Montoya's attorney, Chief Public Defender Kevin Strobel, is considering a motion to have Montoya tested for his intelligence, considering his statements to police.

Morgan also testified that Montoya had once gone to Kayleah's school to try to find her. In earlier court affidavits, Kayleah once called Montoya a “stalker freak” and told him to leave her alone.

When Montoya's attorneys asked for a reduction in his $100,000 bond, District Judge Marcelo Kopcow denied the reduction, stating the bond was not excessive for the charges against Montoya.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Mary
Scared Monkey

« Reply #674 on: August 24, 2010, 06:23:57 PM »

I hate to say this, but I wonder if the mother & brother have been cleared. They
seem to act so distant and when the mother found out about Montoya and her
12 year old why didn't she report it. Maybe Montoya was her friend too.
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #675 on: November 20, 2010, 02:13:45 AM »

Sex Assault Trial Of Kayleah Wilson's Boyfriend Vacated

POSTED: 10:41 pm MST November 14, 2010
UPDATED: 6:54 am MST November 15, 2010

GREELEY, Colo. -- The former boyfriend of 12-year-old Kaleah Wilson, found slain in Greeley last May, was supposed to go on trial Monday for allegedly sexually assaulting her.

However, the trial was vacated and a jury trial was set for March 21.

Robert Montoya, 18, is considered "a person of interest" in Wilson's death, but has not been named as a suspect, according to Greeley police.

Montoya is charged with sexual assault on a child and sexual assault with a pattern of abuse.

Police said Montoya admitted having sex with the sixth-grader 10 to 15 times before and after he turned 18.

No one has been arrested in Wilson's slaying. She disappeared on March 28, while walking to a friend's birthday party. Her badly decomposed body turned up on May 19, in a drainage ditch about a mile from her home.

The death was ruled a homicide, but investigators have not said how she died.

Wilson and Montoya had broken up after Kayleah's mother found out about their relationship. Montoya, who was staying at the Wilsons' apartment, was told to move out.

Montoya had been staying with Kayleah's family after his own mother asked him to leave their home because the mother was dating a registered sex offender who could not be around children.

Later, Kayleah complained Montoya was following her, calling him a "stalker freak," according to Montoya's arrest affidavit. Montoya was contacted by police on Feb. 19 at Kayleah's school after he was seen looking in the windows, according to his arrest affidavit.

Montoya remains in jail on $100,000 bond.

A $20,000 reward is still offered for information that leads to an arrest in Kayleah's slaying.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/25793553/detail.html

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #676 on: January 02, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-top-ten-stories-of-2010-txt,0,631307.story
Colorado's Top 10 Stories of 2010
December 30, 2010

DENVER - A few weeks ago, we asked our viewers to vote on the biggest or most compelling stories of 2010. Here are the results:
(snip)
9. Kayleah Wilson murder

For almost two months, sheriff's deputies and volunteers searched a wide area in Greeley for Kayleah Wilson, 12, who went missing near her home there in late March. In May, searchers discovered her body, badly decomposed, in a drainage ditch not far from her home where she was last seen. Wilson's boyfriend, Robert Montoya, 18, admitted to a sexual relationship with Kayleah and was arrested and charged with sexual assault on a minor. To date, no one has been charged with Wilson's murder.(snip)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #677 on: January 02, 2011, 04:00:38 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/missing-persons-in-national/top-10-missing-person-cases-of-2010
Top 10 missing person cases of 2010
December 30, 2010

In 2010, there have been many headline stories and some of them were about missing persons.   Yesterday was the list of the 10 most unusual missing person stories of 2010.  Today is the Top 10 missing person cases of 2010.

(snip)
Kayleah Wilson - Kayleah was only 12-years-old when her decomposed body was discovered after a heavy rain.  Robert Laurencio Montoya, 18, was staying with the Wilson family when he started a relationship with Kayleah.  Shortly after Kayleah's mother asked him to leave, Kayleah was found.  At this date, no one has been arrested for Kayleah's death. (snip)

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #678 on: January 13, 2011, 06:55:59 AM »

18-year-old accused of having sex with girl later found dead due in court

GREELEY, Colo. (AP) — An 18-year-old man accused of having a sexual relationship with a 12-year-old Greeley girl found dead after she was reported missing is due in court.

Robert Montoya's court appearance Thursday is in preparation for his upcoming trial scheduled to begin March 21. He is charged with sexual assault on a child, but hasn't been charged in Kayleah (kay-lee-uh) Wilson's death.

Kayleah was reported missing last March. Her body was found in a ditch in Greeley May 19.

No suspects have been named in her death.
http://www.kdvr.com/news/sns-bc-co--slaingirl-colorado,0,458928.story

wildmala
Scared Monkey

« Reply #679 on: January 14, 2011, 12:15:03 PM »

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20110113/NEWS/701139997/1051&ParentProfile=1001

Judge review evidence in case of Kayleah’s ex-boyfriend

The Greeley Publishing Co.

A Weld District Court judge will likely decide later this month on the evidence that could make or break prosecutors’ case against a Greeley man charged with sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl who was later found dead after her seven-week disappearance last year.

Robert Montoya, now days away from turning 19 and two months from trial on two counts of sexual assault on a child against Kayleah Wilson, sat Thursday at the defense table in a Weld District Court courtroom, donning glasses and a close-cropped haircut and looking much younger than his jail booking photo.

It was his first appearance in court since his July preliminary hearing. He’s remained in jail on a $100,000 bond.

He is charged with sexually assaulting 12-year-old Kayleah from October 2009, when he was 17, to March 2010, during which time he’d turned 18. Though evidence from her mother and brother suggest they knew of only one sexual encounter in the fall, prosecutors believe there was much more. Montoya, himself, told police of several sexual encounters.

Evidence revealed Thursday from Kayleah’s diary showed a teenage love for Montoya in November 2009; by February 2010, Kayleah’s family believed he was stalking her and began walking her to and from school. Montoya told police she had called him a “stalker freak.”

Kayleah never arrived at a birthday party on March 28, 2010, and her mother, April Wilson, reported her missing. Her body was found May 19, 2010 in an irrigation ditch in west Greeley. Police have no suspects.

Defense attorneys have sought to dismiss the case altogether because they say prosecutors have no evidence other than Montoya’s own admission of the sexual assaults. That admission, defense attorneys state in court motions, also shouldn’t be admissible because it was not voluntary, and it was elicited before police read him the standard Miranda warning.

Wilson said she learned of her daughter and Montoya’s relationship in January, when she found a letter written by Kayleah on Montoya’s computer that had sexual connotations. Wilson said the confrontation erupted into a screaming match between a mother trying to find out what was going on and a daughter not willing to reveal her secrets.

“Still not really wanting to believe it, I said, ‘Seriously, what’s sex to you?’” Wilson said of the confrontation she had with Kayleah. “She said, ‘I’m not going to answer that.’ … She was crying, telling me I should just let her go and let her run away.”

Wilson kicked Montoya out of the home that night, but weeks later, the family decided to walk Kayleah to and from school to protect her from Montoya, whom they believed was stalking her. Montoya, a friend of Kayleah’s brother from school, had lived in the Wilson home in the last three months of the year when he and Kayleah became involved.

“Obviously, Robert wasn’t getting the message, so something needed to change,” Wilson said of the decision to begin escorting Kayleah to and from school.

Kayleah’s brother, Mackenzie Jamison, 17, said he had a gut feeling about the two, and didn’t think their relationship had ended after Montoya left the home. He said his sister had confided to him in mid-January after Wilson caught her with Montoya at the library.

“I just asked her what the whole deal was with Robert and her getting caught,” Jamison said. “She told me she still loved him.”

Prosecutors have offered as evidence unedited excerpts from Kayleah’s diary, helping to demonstrate the depth of the involvement between the two, and to establish a timeline of the length of the relationship:

“I think I found my mach his name is Robert Montoya. It’s been a wille since I really talked to him but we say ‘I love you with all are harts’ but I seem to want him forever so I’ve don’t know if he truly love me but he always said I don’t need eney one but you and I always smile when he’s being nice he always worried about me and Bobby is always being nice. When Robert is playing video games and I’m doing nothing but waching him playing games or I’m with his sister Alex making jokes about them and about my past ... I love Robert with all of my hart, and forever, until the end of lifetime.”

In another entry, dated as Thanksgiving 2009, Kayleah states that she loves Montoya, but if anything went wrong, it would be over forever.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.