March 28, 2024, 12:56:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jacob Cabinaw 31, missing March 31, 2010, Traverse City, Michigan  (Read 46693 times)
ka8lhi
Scared Monkey

« on: April 06, 2010, 03:43:23 PM »

Family Searches for Missing Loved One
Posted: 4/6/2010
A northern Michigan family is searching for a loved one who hasn't been seen in nearly a week.

Family members say Jacob Cabinaw of Traverse City went missing Wednesday evening, March 31st.

They say he dropped off a friend that night and told him he had to go home to study for a test, but he hasn't been seen since.

Cabinaw's sister says it's unlike him to run off without telling anyone.

http://www.9and10news.com/Category/Story/?id=218393&cID=1

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:45:50 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:53:30 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/cabinawj

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »

What's he driving?? I have many questions....how old is he? Tall? What was he wearing?

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
onereddoxie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 05:18:10 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/cabinawj#!/profile.php?v=wall&id=506562982

(Hope that's the right one...Tasha Stewart).

I found this on his girlfriend's facebook page...

"2003 Chevy Malibu (silver).. Front passenger side is damaged (a quarter of the piece is missing)..."

"No one can fully understand the meaning of love unless he's owned a dog."
Gene Hill
onereddoxie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=wall&id=506562982#!/profile.php?v=wall&ref=ts&id=506562982

Try this link...

"No one can fully understand the meaning of love unless he's owned a dog."
Gene Hill
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 09:33:53 PM »

I am emailing with her. She says the car has not been found, he has no enemies and is a person that would do anything for anyone. Which lead of course to the question, would he help a person stranded on the side of the road.

I will post whatever else I find out. Nutt I will ask your questions and post. Oh gosh I feel badly for her.
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 09:35:10 PM »

What's he driving?? I have many questions....how old is he? Tall? What was he wearing?
Per his girlfriend:He is 31 years old, American Indian (definitely can tell), around 6 ft tall, skinny built, shaved head and was last seen wearing his work clothes (grey jacket, grey pants and brown work boots)
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 09:47:46 PM »

Police have not began to search yet except phone calls etc.., not until a week given he is an adult.  He could have gone off road for all they know. I hope they do an air search of that area to see if he could have been in an accident.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 07:10:47 AM »

Thanks    I did search, but didn't find anything.

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 01:10:21 PM »

This is a true mystery of a case. It seems he disappeared. Of course we know he didn't just go poof.
So the story goes he leaves his friend in Hickory and starts his drive to Traverse City. It is about 29 miles or so. Somewhere a long his drive something happens and he never shows up at home.
I did a google search of the area as I am not familiar at all with Michigans landscape. This area surrounds water but there doesn't seem to be any cliffs or bridges near the water. The area is woodsy but not so much you could lose a car if it went off the road. I first thought an accident but I am not so sure that would be possible. The girlfriend also says she and his family and friends have gone up and down looking for his car and so far has found nothing. Given the area, I think they would see it. Is there anyone familiar with this area or maybe has taken the drive from Hickory to Traverse City? Possibly hwy 31?
So this leads me to consider possibly he stopped to get a soda or something to munch on during his ride and he was robbed or something. I have suggested the girlfriend/family/friends take his picture to all possible stops along the route and ask if they remember seeing him on 3/31. I would think this needs to be done soon in the event there is a video camera recording that may help investigators.
Of course LE needs to jump on this. From what his girlfriend has said about him, he really doesn't seem like the type of person to just walk away. He has children. I really feel and god knows I could be completely wrong but something happened and he needs to be found.
ka8lhi
Scared Monkey

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 09:52:46 PM »

I am the one that started this topic and Traverse City is about 1 hour north of where I live. It is the closest "larger town" from where I live. I believe, and I really can't find any proof, that when they talk about 'Hickory' it is Hickory Hills/Hickory Meadows - it is a recreational area owned by the city of Traverse City. They have ski slopes/cross country ski trails for the winter and bike and hiking trails for the summer. I have never been there so I don't really know that area.

The area around our towns is quite rural and can be highly forested. There are many, many places to hide or be hidden if either were the case. Are there areas that an accident could happen and the car not be seen? Yes, many. There are even places along US 31 where the only thing between you and the bay is about 4 feet of very large landscaping rocks - but then the water close to the road is not deep. The rocks were placed there to prevent the waves from eroding the road.

The really strange thing about this case is the lack of coverage - my cities TV station covered it but not the paper and none of the news outlets in T.C. (Traverse City) have covered it at all. One newspaper, in Petosky, Michigan about an hour or so north of TC made mention of it and that's all I can find.
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 12:29:05 AM »

Thank you for your post and information on the area. So I am told by the girlfriend, his family and friends have posted fliers everywhere and gone up and down the roads to find him and it has turned up nothing. Last I heard, LE is not involved in the search. Not sure if that has changed today. According to the girlfriend the police said they needed or wanted to wait a week, it is a week today. I can't find any update

The key to finding this person is going to be public awareness and a lot of leg work. If this was my loved one, I would take his pic to every store, gas station and/or business between where he last was and where he was supposed to go. I don't know if there is another facebook made for him, that maybe a good idea for them to do. Maybe a you tube video as well. The press needs to be involved. I think a missing adult male would be just about the hardest of all people to get the attention of the public. I feel for this family, they have their work cut out for them.

There are not that many things that could have happened to him.
1. He was not in the said last known place
2. He was in an accident and his car went off road and hidden in brush or trees.
3. He stopped for a refreshment and met up with some kind of danger
4. He was car jacked
5. He stopped to help someone and found himself in trouble.
6. He voluntarily left
I can't think of anything else.

((edit))
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 05:29:19 PM by klaasend » Logged
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 12:38:10 AM »

http://www.9and10news.com/Category/Story/?id=218786

Family Pleas For Help Finding Missing Loved One
Posted: 4/7/2010
 A local family is issuing a heartfelt plea for help to find a missing loved one who vanished a week ago.

Family members say 31-year-old Jacob Cabinaw of Traverse City went missing last Wednesday evening.

Jacob's family says he is a happy, reliable young man, and this is not like him.

They have checked both his phone and bank records, which show no activity since he disappeared.
Police say they're keeping an eye out for Jacob and his car, which is a silver 2002 Chevy Malibu with some damage to the front right bumper.

Family members say Jacob is an extremely helpful person.

They believe he could've stopped along the road to help someone, and foul play may have ensued.

Anyone with information should call police.

Share Story
end

What sticks out to me is he is a mechanic. If there was a person posing with car trouble, I bet he would have helped out.

ka8lhi
Scared Monkey

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 05:21:48 AM »

One thing that should be pointed out about this area of Northern Michigan is that it is very, very low on crime - which is good - but bad at the same time. We are very trusting people because not much happens around here. Most murders happen because of domestic disputes or between people that know each other. There is some drug related crime, such as breaking and entering's - but not much - heck - the local newspapers even report on when someone takes a deer out of season because there is not much else going on. I am not saying that it couldn't happen - it just doesn't very often. I think - can't actually remember the year - must have been maybe 5 or 6 years ago when a woman who wasn't homeless but was more of a transient was killed by two men from downstate but not much else since other than family/friend things - and even then - not much happens around here. Car accidents - yes - crime - no. So for this case - maybe foul play - but would really surprise me - car accident - probably - a lot of drunk driving around here...just saying...
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 02:18:18 PM »

You had stated that the local newspaper has not pick up this story, yet you say that there usually is nothing to report so they report on minimal thing. Why do you think they are not reporting on this person being missing? Seems like this would be the biggest news story in a long time? That seems strange to me, unless as it is in my town, they like to keep it hush-hush on crime?

I am trying to find this hickory hills place and can't. How far of a drive would he have had that night? Where in the state is it?
ka8lhi
Scared Monkey

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 02:36:53 PM »

Hickory Hills recreation area is located in Traverse City - on the west side of the city. There is no driving to Traverse City - it's owned by the city.

I can't explain why his disappearance is not being covered ... 
ka8lhi
Scared Monkey

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 02:55:36 PM »

Here is a post by Jacob's ex-father-in-law - he adds some interesting info not reported elsewhere! I'm posting the link because I don't have time to look up whether we can copy posts from other forums.

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1941356/HELP_Family_member_gone_missin.html
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »

From the link that was posted.
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1941356/HELP_Family_member_gone_missin.html
My ex son in law, and father to my grand children,went missing 3/31. Jacob Cabinaw is 31 years old, 5'11", 150 lbs. with short black hair. Jake is Native American. He was last seen wearing dark blue work pants, dark blue work jacket and work boots. He was driving a 2002 silver, Chevrolet Malibu, with some damage to the left front bumper, Michigan Lic. # BKQ 4107.

Jake left work early last Wednesday, with a co-worker, to play a round of Frisbee golf. He dropped his buddy off later in the evening and told him he was going home to study for a test. That was the last anyone has seen or heard from him. Jake is a very responsible individual, with a good job, and is a member of the Michigan National Guard. He is not the kind of guy that would just take off. Local LE would not take a missing person report until he was missing for 7 days.

According to my daughter, there is some evidence that someone attempted to use his debit/credit card in Central Texas this weekend. They tried again, 2 1/2 hours later. It appears they were traveling in a southerly direction; perhaps toward the border.
Here is a link to the local television station that aired a story yesterday. www.9and10news.com Please, if anyone believes they may have spotted either Jake, or his vehicle, contact the Grand Traverse County Sheriff's Dept. at 231-995-5000.

Thanks for your help and prayers. Jim J.

Hmmm I would hope LE has some idea of who tried to use the card. Lets hope video camera's caught a glimps of the person.
I hope the police have started to investigate this and the family is considering hiring a PI.
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 05:25:21 PM »

Per a friend of his and a facebook message.
This person believes the police have opened an investigation
Doesn't know of an aeriel search of the area
The public has been asked to report seeing any vehicals that day which may have been stalled.
Doesn't believe he stopped anywhere at least a store since he says they went together before he was dropped off. END

Well that was helpful, thank you if you are reading this.

So this texas thing with the card. I know friends and family will get upset at this question, but could it be drug related? that is a question that needs to be answered. It doesn't mean they got the right person, that has happened before.

Texas is far from Michigan, kwim? Who would go there unless you are traveling to Mexico?  Unless this person may have ties to Texas. (or to Mexico). It seems sort of hollywood to commit a crime then go to Mexico to hide out. What kind of crime did they commit? It is very uncommon to rob someone and head off to Mexico, must of been something bigger then that. Sounds to me a possibility could be a person needed a car to get out of dodge. If this is the case I would think a larger crime was commited somewhere.  Wonder if the car was dumped somewhere between Mich and Texas? Or if another person is missing long the way within the days between? In any case, I hope this case is getting attention in Texas and boarder control was notified although I am not sure if the police responded to the card? I hope so. 
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 06:31:06 PM »

Do they happen to know when his cell phone was used last?  Is the cell phone provider able to help by locating his phone even though it may be off?  I know ATT did this type of search in the Chelsea King case.

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.