March 29, 2024, 07:54:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unidentified Male CHILD Found Dead-Wylie, TX-ID'd-Gerren Joseph Isgrigg, 6 yo (solved)  (Read 55281 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2010, 01:54:22 PM »

I am really thinking that it came down to money for the mother...she was collecting the child support, probably getting state aid for her child that she did not even take care of...the bio mom was probably sending the gramma a portion of money that she was collecting for this little child...
if she is/was collecting money from the state, was this child not required to be seen by a doctor regularly? or seen to have gotten his "food" that was given to him through a feeding tube? is that through prescription or not? so many loop holes that this little child fell between..bottom line...no one cared enough about Gerren to check on his welfare...Did the other grand parents ever think that they should take a road trip to go visit their grand son? must not have...sad sad sad....

(BBM)

(snip)
Jerry Isgrigg has said he thought his son was still with his ex-wife. He's been paying child support to her since their 2006 divorce. Patrick Phillips said he and his wife didn't get any money to care for Gerren.
(snip)
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-bodyfound_27met.ART.State.Edition2.3d9dc8.html

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »

I noticed this and wondered about it:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-bodyfound_27met.ART.State.Edition2.3d9dc8.html
(snip)
In recent years, he said, she's been caring for Gerren and helping to raise three other grandchildren, who range in age from 2 to 11. They moved away a few months ago.
(snip)

What's the story about the three other grandchildren? 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2010, 02:38:23 PM »

(snip)
In recent years, he said, she's been caring for Gerren and helping to raise three other grandchildren, who range in age from 2 to 11. They moved away a few months ago.
(snip)

This makes no sense they were helping with the other grand children while taking care of Gerren also. And they just moved away a few months ago.  Where did the other grand children go and where were the parents of these children. That not one adult thought to seek help in caring for Gerren? Why did you leave your home after years of living there?  Like I said just more questions.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2010, 03:47:24 PM »

I'm with Green Eyes - just more questions.  Are all of their children neglectful and leave their children with the grandparents to raise?  WTH is up with that?

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2010, 05:38:41 PM »

I'm with Green Eyes - just more questions.  Are all of their children neglectful and leave their children with the grandparents to raise?  WTH is up with that?

That's it Mission.  In all of this nothing about his bio mom, nothing on why see gave them Gerren to take care of what she has been doing for the last 3 and half years or about any of the rest of the family.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2010, 06:34:37 PM »

yeah..what happened to the other grand kids??? 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2010, 06:37:09 PM »

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/042410dnmetwyliesangel.27903b5a7.html
(snip)
 Linda Isgrigg said her son was making regular child support payments to his ex-wife and thought Gerren was still living with her. He was the couple's only child together. She believed the marriage ended over Gerren's medical problems.

Her son saw Gerren when he could, she said, but it was infrequent because he was in the military.

A staff sergeant in the Marines, Jerry Isgrigg recently returned from a brief tour in Korea, Linda Isgrigg said. He served in the Persian Gulf War, left the military for about a decade, then re-enlisted and served in the Iraq war. He is stationed at the Marine base in Twentynine Palms, Calif.

Jerry Isgrigg was at his parents' home in Arizona on Saturday and making plans to come to Texas, his mother said. He declined to comment.

Linda Isgrigg said she didn't know when her son last saw Gerren, but she knew that it had been a while.

"He was always concerned" about Gerren's well-being, she said.

Isgrigg said that at one point Gerren was staying at the Truman Smith Children's Care Center in Gladewater, Texas, but she wasn't sure for how long. Officials at the nursing home declined to comment, citing health-care privacy laws.

"I called one day to check to see how he was, and they said that he wasn't there," Isgrigg said. "I said let me talk to the nurse, and they said that he wasn't there anymore, that she [his mother] came and got him."

Isgrigg said she last saw Gerren about two years ago.

"I don't understand why didn't they just contact somebody and say, ‘I can't handle this. Will you please take him?' Or call his dad," Linda Isgrigg said. "These children do not have a voice."

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2010, 11:03:23 PM »

It's pure starvation that causes someone to become emaciated, IMO. 

I checked around on the net and found this info:

*A malnourished person without much body fat and muscles (emaciation) can die within a few days with no food/water. 

*If a well-nourished person has water but no food, they typically can survive up to 2 months or so.  But without food and water, only about 2 weeks. 

*Death after discontinuation of artificial feeding in terminally ill patients in hospitals typically occurs between 10 and 14 days. 

Gerren had been so malnourished prior to his death, he was emaciated.  (starved)...... It takes a period of time of being malnourished to become emaciated.  (The body lives for awhile from stored fat for energy, then from muscles.  Then emaciation sets in.  Then heart attacks can occur, loss of consciousness, etc.)  I doubt that he had been to see a doctor/nurse for quite a long time, or his being so emaciated would have caused an alert.  Am wondering how long he had been emaciated????? 

I'm thinking that scenario #1 above is what happened, he was malnourished and emaciated, she removed his feeding tube and hid him in the bushes, where he died within a few days.  Very likely just prior to being discovered.  Either that or she had removed that tube at home and he died before she even took him out there. 

Either way, he had already been starved, and removing his feeding tube ensured his death.   Hence, the murder charge.  IMO.   

I don't buy for a minute Gerren's grandpa and uncle saying how 'well' she took care of him.  If she had, he wouldn't have been emaciated.  He wouldn't even have been malnourished.  She starved that boy, and her family cannot say a damn thing that would convince me otherwise. 

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2010, 11:15:11 PM »

The only experience I have had with emaciation is a dog I used to have many many years ago.  I went thru a divorce, and moved back to my childhood town.  Couldn't bring my dog yet cuz my uncle was a trucker, was going thru my previous town and would pick her up and bring her to me at that time.  In the meantime she stayed with my ex, who promised to feed her.  Yeah right.  I was stupid to have believed him.  He must not have fed her one kibble in 4 weeks, cuz when my uncle brought her to me, she had lost HALF her weight.  HALF.  In 4 weeks.  She was a standard size doxie who did weigh about 25 lbs, then only weighing about 12 lbs.  Her lil ribs were sticking out all over, the vet said emaciation.  Luckily, with a great deal of care and tons of kibble and love, she regained her weight and health. 

Just saying this to say how quickly a dog can get emaciated.  I'm not sure how soon it would take for a human.  Likely about the same amount of time I'd think. 

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2010, 11:29:10 PM »

Several good comments below this article:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/localnews/columnists/jfloyd/stories/DN-floyd_27met.ART.State.Edition2.3f26f5.html

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2010, 11:37:57 PM »

Evidently, according to Texas law???, no child over the age of 60 days can be left at a safe haven.  ???  If an older child is left at say a hospital or fire station etc, and the caregiver found, they would be charged with abandonment. 

If that's true... then Darlene still had the option of possibly facing an abandonment charge, rather than a murder charge.  And Gerren would still be alive.   

Also, if that's true, am thinking that every state needs to change the law to an older age. 

IMO.

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2010, 11:51:21 PM »

(snip)
(snip)

I'd like to know the story about them as well.  Starting with.. where are they???  When the Phillips home was surrounded by police, neighbors told them the Phillips had left a few days (week?) earlier, abandoning the home.  (They were then found at that motel near Dallas). 

But those neighbors also reported that no other children besides Gerren lived with the Phillips.  They didn't mention that any other children had ever lived with them.  Sooooooo... where are these other grandchildren?   Did they really move away?  Are they alive and being care for by... someone??   

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2010, 12:02:27 AM »

Great posts by everyone!  Y'all are saying exactly how I feel too! 

One of the news articles says that Gerren's father is on his way to TX to receive the body of his son.     Ought not be, IMO.  He hasn't seen that boy in three years, seemingly washed his hands of him back then.  Only reason IMO that he has been paying child support is cuz the Marine Corps demands it, taking it straight from his pay without him ever seeing it.  He, nor his own family, seems to have been interested enough in Gerren to check up on his welfare, or the welfare (including energy levels and emotional status) of his supposed caregivers.   IMO they lost their right to Gerren wayyyyyyyyyyyyy back when they seemingly turned their backs on him.  And IMO, they don't deserve to receive his body now. 

And I won't get started on what I think of Gerren's mother.  Abandoning her disabled son with her elderly parents??  How could she??  It seems that she raises horses out in Okla. now.  Poor horses.  Someone needs to check in on how well they are being cared for. 

The folks in Wylie, TX ought to be able to go ahead with their plans to lovingly lay Gerren's body to rest.  IMO they've shown him more love than he has likely ever had while alive. 

Gerren is 'Wylie's Angel', and IMO ought to remain so. 

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2010, 12:31:31 AM »

Still learning how to bring over a video, hope this actually works.

<object id="5452" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" height="394" width="448"><param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.nbcdfw.com/syndication?id=92091674&path=%2Fnews%2Flocal-beat"/><embed src="http://www.nbcdfw.com/syndication?id=92091674&path=%2Fnews%2Flocal-beat"  type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" height="394" width="448"></embed><p style="font-size:small">View more news videos at: <a href="http://www.nbcdfw.com/video">http://www.nbcdfw.com/video</a>.</p></object>

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2010, 12:32:15 AM »

ok, that wasn't the right way, sorry.......

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2010, 12:39:28 AM »

There are so many questions surrounding this case it has me wondering about Gerren's mother.  Why did she think it ok to leave this child with her elder mother?  Why if he had so many health issues wouldn't she want him in an environment where he would be cared for to handle all of his needs, he deserved to have what ever resources were available to treat him and his condition. I have to believe he would have received more care than what the grandmother was able to provide, children are stimulated by therapy and handling by those trained to do so.  And of course the big question is why didn't the grandmother seek help or contact her daughter and tell her he needed more than what she could give?  Something is not right here.  I was looking around and found who I believe is Gerren's mother on myspace, there are pictures of who I think is Gerren on there and she refers to him as her son, the pictures brought tears to my eyes he appears to be so healthy, I can't wrap my arms around this whole thing. 

http://www.myspace.com/124706313

Good find!!  Pics at this news article confirm that you found Nyki's myspace.  They have two of the same pics as that myspace. 

http://www.wfaa.com/news/Wylies-Angel-Abandoned-Three-Days-Prior-to-Discovery-92112514.html

Gerren

Gerren's mother, Nyki

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2010, 12:51:26 AM »

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/042610-grandma-left-note-with-boy-affadavit

<snipped>

Darlene Phillips' husband, Patrick, told officers that the child had been living with them until about two weeks before. He said Darlene told him she'd given Gerren to a social worker, according to the affidavit.

Darlene Phillips told police the little boy had the mental capacity of a 2-month-old baby.

~~~~~

Patrick refers to his grandson as "the child".   

So according to Patrick, Gerren had been living with them until about two weeks before. 

Gerren was found in the park on April 15.

Darlene says in her affadavit that she left Gerren in the park on April 12.

That's three days, where was Gerren for the remainder of that two weeks? 

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2010, 01:00:29 AM »

Darlene Phillips - the *cough* "caregiver"

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2010, 09:01:31 AM »

Imagine how terrified this child was during the time it took him to die...   

April 27, 2010 Tuesday
EDITION1
  THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS

Authorities say boy lay hidden for 3 days  

Gerren Isgrigg lay in an overgrowth of vines near a Collin County pond for three days before his body was found by a mowing crew April 15.

Blind, deaf and unable even to move on his own, he couldn't be seen from the road or a park area nearby, according to court documents obtained Monday. He was covered with a blanket.

Darlene Phillips, Gerren's grandmother and primary caretaker, told investigators she left Gerren at the park on April 12 with a note that read: "I'm 6, I have seizures, I need medication and a feeding tube."

No note was found with Gerren. Nor did investigators find any medical supplies, papers or feeding tubes.

Phillips, 63, told investigators she removed the feeding tube before leaving Gerren in the brush. She is in jail charged with murder.

Her husband, Patrick Phillips, said Monday that he couldn't understand why she took out the feeding tube, which is difficult to remove and requires medical personnel to reinsert.

"Something had to snap," he said. "She was just at the end of her emotional rope. ... I know in my heart she expected him to be found."

Gerren, who had a rare medical condition called West syndrome, couldn't care for himself. He was given medication twice a day for seizures.

The probable cause affidavit states that Phillips "intentionally or knowingly caused the death of [Gerren] by intentionally leaving the child in a place where the child was unlikely to be located," and because of his health issues, "he was unable to care for himself and died."

Darlene Phillips told authorities she thought she was being punished by the boy's mother by having to care for the child, who had the mental capacity of a 2-month-old, the affidavit states.

Patrick Phillips said the couple had infrequent contact with their daughter, Nyki Phillips, who left Gerren with them three years ago. He said they never heard from Gerren's father, Jerry Isgrigg.

"Neither showed any interest in Gerren," the child's grandfather said.

Wylie police and the Collin County Child Abuse Task Force worked for eight days to determine Gerren's identity once his body was found. They teamed up with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, whose forensic artists created an image of the boy that was distributed to news media and on fliers around town. A Facebook page dubbed "Wylie's Angel" grew to more than 44,000 members who spread the story around the globe.

A tip to the center's hotline Wednesday gave investigators the break they needed to identify Gerren. His parents were contacted Friday.

Jerry Isgrigg has said he thought his son was still with his ex-wife. He's been paying child support to her since their 2006 divorce. Patrick Phillips said he and his wife didn't get any money to care for Gerren.

Nyki Phillips, who lives in Oklahoma, could not be reached for comment.

Darlene Phillips declined an interview from the Collin County Jail, where she is being held on $500,000 bail.

Phillips said his wife worked as a caregiver at a 10-bed assisted living center in Arizona that used to be owned by their son.

Darlene Phillips is listed in bankruptcy filings as the owner of the center; her husband said she was only helping out with the loan. In recent years, he said, she's been caring for Gerren and helping to raise three other grandchildren, who range in age from 2 to 11. They moved away a few months ago.

Phillips said he and his wife talked about putting Gerren in some sort of assisted living center but decided against it.

"We were told he could die any day," he said. "My wife wanted him to live at home with family." 
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:1175719048&start=10

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2010, 09:56:58 AM »

great posts everyone...my thoughts and feelings on this seem to reflect many of yours...
poor little boy...he must have had a very sad existence ....no excuse for it in my opinion...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.