April 25, 2024, 10:12:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "GM Repays Loans" - Where did they get the money?  (Read 1741 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: April 22, 2010, 12:48:32 PM »

GM Repays Loans

GM repays loans of $8.1 billion, and it happened ahead of schedule. If you watched the recent General Motors television commercial, the automaker is standing with pride. It is probably one of the biggest success stories for the automobile manufacturer.

"This turnaround wasn't an accident of history," White House economic adviser Larry Summers said in a statement. "It was the result of considered and politically difficult decisions made by President Obama to provide GM and Chrysler - and indeed the auto industry - a lifeline, if they could demonstrate the will to reshape their businesses."

more here - http://www.newsoxy.com/gm/repays-loans-12939.html

Where did they get the money?

IIRC, one of the 'immediate' benefits of Obamacare was 'reinsurance' for retiree health plans.

So, where did GM get the money?

Did Obamacare get them off the hook for retiree health funding?

Did the taxpayers already send them a big check?

How many Americans would love a 'reinsurance' program like GM and other union plans?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:52:20 PM »

As for whether this change is better tax policy, the new health-care bill creates a similar $5 billion fund that will subsidize health costs for early retirees between the ages of 55 and 64. These payments won't be subject to taxation, and companies will likely be able to deduct the full cost of such coverage. (The language is vague and some experts disagree.) The Democrats now feigning tax outrage—but who are really outraged by political appearances—didn't think twice about writing the same loophole back into the tax code. This new reinsurance program was a priority of the United Auto Workers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304370304575151760348759360.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.