April 18, 2024, 10:37:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State of the Union Address 07  (Read 5554 times)
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« on: January 23, 2007, 10:27:14 PM »

Just finished watching it and there is nobody here?  I am shocked.  I thought this would be the busy thread.  Well, I have my opinions, but waiting for the debates to begin.  My initial reaction is I am on the fence, because I agree with about most of what Bush said, but others I didn't.  Most importantly?  We have got to finish off Iraq, no matter what it takes!  We cannot abandon the job now!  On other topics,  I don't see much getting done for the next 2 yrs. since Dems. are in office.  Let the battles begin.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 11:19:59 PM »

Hello Dihannah1,

I didn't watch it but listened to it. I have to think about it some more.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 11:25:31 PM »

Dihannah1-

I was watching and I expect the time differential with the west coast may explain why more aren't posting right now. I really wanted to focus in on all facets of the address, even the expressions of some in attendance. I will say Bush opened with a laundry list that's hard to believe could be accomplished domestically, someone's very optimistic? But I also felt he was laying out olive branches in exchange for support for the increase in troops, funding, and more time in Iraq.

I thought Hillary's expression and total absence of one clap simply diminished her, for even Pelosi stood on occasion as she should have, and Kerry was showing far more support as were other Dems. I guess I felt she looked petty for behaving that way.

I may be pollyanna though, wishing everyone could pull together and realize how large our challenges really are at this point in time. I have to wonder if hearing Iran fling far and wide that the US and Israel will both kiss the earth goodbye in 2008 had any impact upon those feeling we need to leave Iraq and head out?

Troubling times, very very troubling times. I am worried about having any bills passed of substance if compromises can't be made.......it could be two very long years ahead of us.  Rolling Eyes

I continue to stand with the girl.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 11:29:23 PM »

Louise?

Did you see Obama was sitting right behind Hillary? I do think the larger plan there could be joining forces if that's what it takes to defeat the republicans?

I have to say your sig line hurts to read Louise, I don't think Obama is a sleeper cell or a one-man terrorist regime. I am not that linear in my thinking, sigh.

pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 12:34:18 AM »

I actually found parts of Bush's speech kind of sad. He was really begging for the support of the American people for the war on terror, and the war in Iraq.
I know I said this earlier, but we can't go back and undo the mistakes the Bush Admin. made in Iraq earlier. All we can do is move forward, and try to come out on top in the future. No matter what I think of Bush 43, I do agree that we need to unite, and do what it takes to be successful. We need to support our military by letting them know we will stand behind the war effort. On that, Bush and I agree 100%. In that respect he has my support.
I'm not sure where I stand on his other proposals. I agree that everyone should have acess to health care, but I'm not sure about his solution. He still has no clue about the financial realities of the working poor. Those Americans are beyond a rich man's frame of reference. A tax credit won't help a waitress making $18,000 a year with 2 kids.
His illegal alien proposal was kind of interesting. Would it work? I think this is where the Bush Admin. has failed the American people again. Our border with Mexico has been wide open to terrorists since 9/11, and we have no idea who is sneaking in at any given moment. Why has nothing been done after all this time? Once we were attacked, and the new reality began, the security of our border with Mexico should have been a priority.
But he's still talking about it, and no one is doing anything to plug the leaks. This I do not understand.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 08:28:14 AM »

pdh3-

You did bring up the three top hotspots, the three most difficult challenges to resolve. The war, well with Iran and South Korea's desire to blow us off the planet I think the US can ill afford to withdraw from Iraq to allow those two one more ally in their squeeze upon our freedom. The most chilling part of the address was the verbal listing of the terrorist plots Bush detailed which had been averted, we need reminding of those and often.

As for healthcare our country has a distinct aversion to socialized medicine on the whole, even just the term much less the reality of it. I wasn't wowed by what he offered either but that's what political debate on our Senate floor exists for, to arrive at a compromise and/or a better plan.

As for immigration well we have one of the longest borders in the free world, despite any immigration plan or stance or law, how do we enforce it? How do we pay for and mobilize a border patrol capable of enforcing it? One of the most complex challenges we face also.

I will be listening intently to responses from both parties to the address and waiting to see who steps up to the plate to place these challenges as more important than slamming the republicans, Bush, or advancing their own party rhetoric over solutions within the next two years.

Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 04:02:03 PM »

I guess I thought it was on at the same time all over the country.  Didn't think of them showing it again on west coast, but explains that.

I didn't notice Obama sitting behind Hillary, but probably because of staring at her sour look everytime they showed her.  I also have to admit, I couldn't stop watching Cheney and Pelosi.  I'm glad Bush did the right thing in recognizing her like he did and the missing dems.  
Condi looked pretty sour (almost scary) a couple times when they showed her.  Was it just me that saw that?

I don't agree with his health plan.  I believe the answer is to lower the costs of medical, not mess with taxes that will only really help a very small percentage and not everybody without medical.  

Overall, I believe he did a good job on his speech on Iraq, he probably shouldn't have bothered with domestic issues, as they are going to just sit.  I think he's already lame duck.....  JMO

Tylergal
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 06:25:57 PM »

I could not look at anyone else for looking at Nancy Pelosi.  It appeared her dentures were about to fall out or she was about to swallow a part of one and she was trying to rescue it with her tongue.  It was very scary.  I thought the paramedics were needed.  I was so uncomfortable for fear for her.  I lost a tooth and almost swallowed it once (a permanent tooth unexpectedly) and it was frightening and I felt that was what she was going through.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 11:13:16 PM »

I thought she was sucking on a lifesaver or something.  She was definately rolling something around in her mouth.  I also felt she was in
la la land and wasn't really listening.  Just sucking in the spotlight around her.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »

I feel sure tyler was being a wee bit tongue-in-cheek now weren't you?  Laughing

Pelosi looked uncomfortable and I think when Bush made a point to acknowledge her newly annointed role, it made it worse for her  Laughing

Hillary is the one that got me, for she sat there so smug and never applauded that I saw. Well heck even Kerry was applauding which makes me think more of him as a result.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 11:44:02 PM »

The State of the Union was rebroadcast later in the evening and I logged off the computer to sit down to watch and listen carefully. Nonsey, afterwards, I almost logged back on to the computer to write you but I was so tired that I decided it could wait until today.

First of all, I'm going to nit pick.

Barack Obama sat IN FRONT of Hillary Clinton, not behind her. Nonsey, I'm truly sorry my sig line hurts you but please forgive me for keeping it a while longer. Can you explain linear thinking?

Tyler, I did not think your tongue was in your cheek. I would not have expected to read this from you. Nancy Pelosi comes from a rich enough family that she would never have to wear dentures. If she needed dental work, she could afford crowns, veneers or implants. You were downright mean. Her teeth are beautiful. How about you send me a pic of your teeth / smile so we can compare yours to Nancy's. She was born into a rich political family in Baltimore. Her father was the mayor. She got married and moved to San Francisco.

Some of my impressions:

1) Bush did a stellar and very gracious job of introducing Nancy Pelosi as Madam Speaker. He fully acknowledged her as the first female Speaker of the House of Representatives in the history of the United States. He made it into a magical moment.

2) Dick Cheney did not look too happy sitting next to Nancy Pelosi. He was clearly sulking. She looked fabulous in her mint green suit. FOX reported she was going to wear something else but she spilled chocolate on her jacket.

3) As far as I can recall, Nancy Pelosi stood up and applauded regarding everything she agreed with, as well as standing up for political comments that she knew she SHOULD stand up for. The camera was not focused on Hillary enough for me to see when she stood up and when she sat down.

4) Bush 43 did a good job of speaking. He was dressed well and groomed well. Is this his 4th and last State of the Union Address?  

As I watched his address, (and this is why I wanted to log on and talk to Nonesy) it seemed he was saying all the right things. In past years, I've always felt like the State of the Union Address was a suggested plan for the future. However, he doesn't have enough time left in office to enact the items he addressed. So he could have said anything. I realized he is a puppet. He memorized the speech his writers created. He cannot follow through.

After a while I only heard blah, blah, blah. I zoned out. I felt ANYONE could stand at the podium Wouldn't matter much what they said as long as they could follow through on what they said. So he was just standing there, reading the address his writers created for him, like a puppet, Bush43 is now a lame duck.

In summary, let us watch what happens in the remaining two years. How would the voting public respond to terrorist attacks on Scandinavia, the British Isles, Paris (what if they bombed the Eiffel Tower), Vienna, Warsaw, Budapest, Lisbon, Rome and the Vatican, London, Bonn, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Sydney, etc.? Not that you asked but I feel if any of these cities / countries are attacked ... would Bush43 have the resources to help them. I don't think so. I really feel we are at the end times. How about the major US cities?

Sorry if I've been overly cranky.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 10:51:33 AM »

Louise-

You are correct, Obama sat in front of Hillary and not behind. They also supposedly had a rather chilly moment post the address as per ABC who was interviewing them back-to-back which sounded childish.

Hillary is really really mad about something  Laughing

Actually Pelosi wore the mint colored suit as per her political consultant, instead of the brown one she wore earlier that day, the consultant was interviewed last night. Seems Pelosi was also told to show no reaction or expression to the address, and the rest of her party there told to follow her lead? Amazing for with her illustrious training in her background, who knew the taxpayers would need to pay for such intense personal coaching?

Sure Bush is a lame duck, at such a critical time for our country the democrats won't work to be bipartisan but rather to stymie Bush at all costs? I can't see anything to be happy about or pleased about within this.

Linear thinking is simply lacking complexity, I'd like to think I am a mature critical thinker, able to gather and makes sense of disparate data and issues? Yes Obama being muslim concerns me and there is more to that story than he is divulging if my political friends are correct in what they are sharing privately. It was the first red flag for me and I really think no one posting here sees it as that simple either. I posted information regarding the core of Obama's supporters from his own church, but haven't heard any comments back regarding it since I posted it. His rise to visibility has been due to religious fervor and he views religion as a means to social change, first and foremost.

I haven't discovered anything yet to qualify him for the highest office in our country, not in his senate record nor his rhetoric. The Democrats will afford the nomination to whoever can win, plain and simple, and that is linear thinking with a real kick in the A to it.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 08:44:27 PM »

Nonesy,

Thank you for responding. Arguing and debating brings me zero joy in life. Let's just disagree and leave it at that.

How do you know Pelosi's personal consultant told her to change her suit? How did you get involved in what clothing she should wear? I need to know if you want me to believe you. Of course, maybe you need to keep that secret. I have no clue, just would like to know how you knew.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 01:29:11 AM »

Louise,

I'm sorry you think I was being purposefully with rancor, I wasn't at all. Politics is a very emotional issue for most, but I'm not really happy with either party at this moment in time and I hope that doesn't get lost in the shuffle. I also keep hoping they will do it better and that we as voters will do it better.

There is little mystery regarding how I heard about Pelosi's suit and advisements, CNN interviewed her political consultant who worked hard to qualify how important these image choices are. I'm not sure I agree with her but listened.

So I don't have some huge inside track Louise, I am giggling that you think I do, truly I do not. Silly you  Wink

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 08:28:14 PM »

Just a short comment from me on this one....

has anyone else noticed that on each and every network and in particular Good Morning America.... it is all Hilliary all the time?  IF I were running for office, I would be rip $$$$ about how much free campiagning they give her by running her internet site and talking about it as if it were news.

As for the rest of it....

tell me your thoughts on Pelosi JUST NOW going to IRAQ.... she is voting on this important effort and had never been there until now??? I would rather spend my hard earned tax money sending them to iraq than their consultants.

LV, I know that Pelosi is rich... and I don't think Tyler's comments were mean - I am glad you don't hear me speak to Red about how I feel Botox has affected her....  

I think it's mean to call Bush stupid..but good grief, even the damn media does that.... and publically....

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 11:19:12 PM »

I think Hillary is getting all the media because she is such a money power house.  They said this morning she is rejecting government political funds for personal funds where there are no limits on the amounts.  She's already set a precedent on how much money earned and will earn.  I also think because she could 'possibly' be the first female president.  Doesn't all that make for better ratings?  I know how some of you feel, but I do feel Fox is the most fair and balanced.... JIMO

I also think she is going to crush Obama before it's over, so he will no longer be a worry.  As for Pelosi,  my first impression of her was, I did not like her.  She seemed fake and I didn't like her smug smile.  I admit, I did not know much about her until recently, but first impressions typically stick.  I agree, how nice to show up in Iraq AFTER the non-binding resolution.  The one that was nothing but a waste of time, because it WAS non-binding.  I thought they were going to be more productive than past governments .  What they pass 6 in 100 hrs. , then it's over?   Typical politics!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 11:08:58 AM »

Mrs red-

Hillary terrifies me and I won't be proud if she's our first female in office. the very look on her face lately is that of a woman with blind ambition.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 11:43:57 PM »

My only dog in this fight is that Nancy Pelosi has beautiful teeth.

I want to focus only on that issue wherein Tyler posted "I could not look at anyone else for looking at Nancy Pelosi. It appeared her dentures were about to fall out or she was about to swallow a part of one and she was trying to rescue it with her tongue. It was very scary. I thought the paramedics were needed. I was so uncomfortable for fear for her. I lost a tooth and almost swallowed it once (a permanent tooth unexpectedly) and it was frightening and I felt that was what she was going through."

I responded to Tyler about Pelosi's teeth and asked her to send a pic of her teeth so that we can see which one looks better. I want to see yours. Remember that old saw ... "Don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house."

What is going on with you? Are you a Republican who is so upset that Congress changed hands that you have to attack Pelosi's teeth?

mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 10:06:48 PM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
My only dog in this fight is that Nancy Pelosi has beautiful teeth.

I want to focus only on that issue wherein Tyler posted "I could not look at anyone else for looking at Nancy Pelosi. It appeared her dentures were about to fall out or she was about to swallow a part of one and she was trying to rescue it with her tongue. It was very scary. I thought the paramedics were needed. I was so uncomfortable for fear for her. I lost a tooth and almost swallowed it once (a permanent tooth unexpectedly) and it was frightening and I felt that was what she was going through."

I responded to Tyler about Pelosi's teeth and asked her to send a pic of her teeth so that we can see which one looks better. I want to see yours. Remember that old saw ... "Don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house."

What is going on with you? Are you a Republican who is so upset that Congress changed hands that you have to attack Pelosi's teeth?

I tend to doubt that with Pelosi's money she should look less than perfect, money tends to buy as much so-called perfection as one could hope to have.  Veneers, botox, face lifts... it all costs money.....

Just my $.02

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 10:28:24 PM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
Mrs red-

Hillary terrifies me and I won't be proud if she's our first female in office. the very look on her face lately is that of a woman with blind ambition.

I think she will set women back further than any other single force if she is elected..... I am thinking she won't win though... too polarizing and all the media coverage so far has just served to show all the negatives...

and speaking of corruption.... anyone remember the Rose Law firm... and the stock deals??

what the clinton's didn't finish taking all the silverware out of the White House the first time??/ Rolling Eyes

I completely dislike her...... personally, I am all about anyone that is going to protect this Country and honor the men and women serving in Iraq.... some ppl think Bush is a my or the highway kind of person???  Just wait 'til you get a load of this...

Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.