April 18, 2024, 03:09:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pole dancing will keep you in shape  (Read 2322 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: March 14, 2010, 12:01:41 PM »

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/main/6906730.html
Pole dancing will keep you in shape
March 10, 2010

Eric Kayne For the Chronicle
Former investment banker Nicole Phillips, right, in pink boots, instructs Alishia Terry, left during a pole dancing class as intermediate student Tche Sessum (follows her lead at Inner Me Studios.

If you want to learn kickboxing, you take a class. But if you want to learn how to walk in stilettos, where do you go? Try Inner Me Studios, a new fitness studio at 617 Richmond, offering a host of classes from boxing and chair dancing to Piyolet (a combo of Pilates, yoga and ballet) and pole dancing.

Yes, pole dancing — minus the stripping part. The class, along with the stiletto fit class, is designed to give women a challenging cardio workout, build confidence and develop their ability to maneuver gracefully in heels. Seriously, if you can swing on a pole in 5-inch heels, surely you can navigate the office stairs in them.

“It's a great confidence booster,” says owner and Houstonian Nicole Phillips, who quit her investment banking job in Philadelphia last year and moved back to Houston. She opened Inner Me Studios last fall after noticing there weren't many affordable pole dancing classes in town. Her classes offer a fun 60- to 90- minute cardio workout to hot dance music such as Beyoncé 's Single Ladies or the Pussycat Dolls' Buttons. The studio is intimate, so you can be as sexy or as clumsy as you want without any shame.
You start off both the pole dancing and stiletto fit classes wearing sneakers, then move into heels for the second part of the class. Phillips regularly dances in a 6-inch platform. Stripper shoes are helpful.
Think you're too old to swing on a pole? Phillips says she has women from 18 to 60 in her classes. “We're not just rolling on the floor and throwing our hair around,” she says. “It's a lot of fun and a great workout. You just have to be open to learning the moves.”

For more information on the class, visit www.innermestudios.com or call 713-533-1455.

5 reasons to try pole dancing

1 Sex appeal:It makes you feel sexy. Once you get a rhythm to your walk, you've got it made.

2 fitness: You'll develop Michelle Obama arms. We're certain the first lady isn't swinging on a pole in the gym, but it's a great way to improve your upper-body strength and tone.

3 Flexibility: You'll be able to bend like a pretzel. There's a lot of twisting and turning that helps with your flexibility. (Your spouse might appreciate that.)

4 No shame: You can actually dance like no one is watching, and no one cares. The class is for beginners and higher. Each student progresses at her own pace.

5 Shopping: It's another great reason to buy new shoes. Warning: “Stripper” shoes aren't for the faint-hearted.

— J.S.

Want to grab life by the pole?

Here are four items you'll need to try at pole-dancing aerobics class.

1 COOL RACERBACK TOP

This solid, basic tank comes with a built-in bra and is made with lightweight, breathable fabric — perfect for all your twists and turns.

$39, Lululemon Athletica

2 TEAM SPIRIT CROP PANT

With a low-rise fit and moisture-wicking capabilities, these pants will stay dry, comfortable and in place.

$86, Lululemon Athletica

3 PALANI GLADIATOR SANDALS

Take your workout to new heights with a pair of heels, like these black women's Mossimo Palani Gladiator Sandals.

• $24, Target

4 PRINT CANVAS TOTE

While you're on the pole, you're going to need a place to store all your stuff. Consider this fun, bright Merona print canvas tote.

• $12.99, Target

KRISTIN FINAN

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WC9EcMqhhu8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00&amp;border=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/WC9EcMqhhu8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00&amp;border=1</a>
crazybabyborg
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »

I could do that if I had a hydraulic lift to get me up on the pole!   
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »

I could do that if I had a hydraulic lift to get me up on the pole!   

Aw CBB   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.