March 29, 2024, 03:28:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Big Alienation - Uncontrolled borders and Washington's lack of self-control"  (Read 2394 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: April 29, 2010, 07:32:17 PM »

The Big Alienation

Uncontrolled borders and Washington's lack of self-control.

We are at a remarkable moment. We have an open, 2,000-mile border to our south, and the entity with the power to enforce the law and impose safety and order will not do it. Wall Street collapsed, taking Main Street's money with it, and the government can't really figure out what to do about it because the government itself was deeply implicated in the crash, and both political parties are full of people whose political careers have been made possible by Wall Street contributions. Meanwhile we pass huge laws, bills so comprehensive, omnibus and transformative that no one knows what's in them and no one—literally, no one—knows how exactly they will be executed or interpreted.

Which brings us to Arizona and its much-criticized attempt to institute a law aimed at controlling its own border with Mexico. It is doing this because the federal government won't, and because Arizonans have a crisis on their hands, areas on the border where criminal behavior flourishes, where there have been kidnappings, murders and gang violence. If the law is abusive, it will be determined quickly enough, in the courts. In keeping with recent tradition, they were reading parts of the law aloud on cable the other night, with bright and sincere people completely disagreeing on the meaning of the words they were reading. No one knows how the law will be executed or interpreted.

Every state and region has its own facts and experience. In New York, legal and illegal immigrants keep the city running: They work hard jobs with brutal hours, rip off no one on Wall Street, and do not crash the economy. They are generally considered among the good guys. I'm not sure New Yorkers can fairly judge the situation in Arizona, nor Arizonans the situation in New York.

But the larger point is that Arizona is moving forward because the government in Washington has completely abdicated its responsibility. For 10 years—at least—through two administrations, Washington deliberately did nothing to ease the crisis on the borders because politicians calculated that an air of mounting crisis would spur mounting support for what Washington thought was appropriate reform—i.e., reform that would help the Democratic and Republican parties.

If the federal government and our political parties were imaginative, they would understand that it is actually in their interests to restore peace and order to the border. It would be a way of demonstrating that our government is still capable of functioning, that it is still to some degree connected to the people's will, that it has the broader interests of the country in mind.

The American people fear they are losing their place and authority in the daily, unwinding drama of American history. They feel increasingly alienated from their government. And alienation, again, is often followed by deep animosity, and animosity by the breaking up of things. If our leaders were farsighted not only for themselves but for the country, they would fix the border.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704302304575214613784530750.html

Securing the border has nothing to do with 'immigration reform'.  If the border was secured decades ago, would there be millions of criminals among the illegal alien population?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
HopeForAll
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:08:21 AM »

We Americans in general have been losing control for sometime now. We are too busy trying to support our families and some of us are trying to foot the bill for extravagant lifestyles. Then there are those who don't watch the news because "it's too depressing." As always there way too many who don't care. I like the way you were all inclusive Whiskey Girl of both parties and other administrations. I consider myself a very compassionate person. I feel for the plight of poorer nations and the desire to become a U.S. citizen. The keyword for me is Illegal ie;against the law, criminal behaviour,simple and straight forward. Mexico is convienantly a border  country. What does it say to our children when "it's ok to break the law." What do we say when it is said the aliens are doing jobs that we won't do? Says who? Our Country is being sold out from under us all the time. Cheap labor is why. So really, who is in control? Aliens, you need to work your way into becoming a U.S. citizen just like people from other countries who are not on our border. It seems completely unjust that they do what's right and legal to be hear when others are  illegally allowed to be here and   have the same rights as we do? What the heck is wrong with proving that you have a right to be hear? I am a centrist leaning to the left and I am sure I am unique in my view. It's just common sense.
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 07:09:11 PM »

Instead of protesting enforcement of the laws in the US, why aren't they making their home countries better?

Protesting human rights violations in the land of their birth?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »

Agreed!
to me, the only people who would be objecting to securing the borders and getting strict on immigration are those who are here illegally...jmo
my husband and his family immigrated to the US from Holland the right way, went through all of the normal channels to become a United States citizen....I have no problem with people wanting to be a US citizen, just do it legally like others have been asked to do...jmo...

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 10:14:37 AM »

Agreed!
to me, the only people who would be objecting to securing the borders and getting strict on immigration are those who are here illegally...jmo
my husband and his family immigrated to the US from Holland the right way, went through all of the normal channels to become a United States citizen....I have no problem with people wanting to be a US citizen, just do it legally like others have been asked to do...jmo...
I try real hard to not follow politics because I go just crazy from it, and health reasons it is better that way. But I also try to stay informed the best I can. This topic has me literally wild inside. What part don't people get? If you are in this country illegally, it is against the law, period. I have no problem either with people coming here and becoming a citizen legally, it is hard work and more power to the people that do it the right way. I also have family members that came to this country and became citizens, from Belgium, Italy and Bohemia. Amnesty doesn't work, and as far as I'm concerned it is a slap in the face to the people that come here and do things the right way.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 12:18:24 PM »

Like every one else I am outraged at what is happening with our borders. I have nothing against anyone wanting a better life. They need to do it legally period finished.  For them to say we are talking their rights away I ask what rights. YOU have broken the law by coming into the USA without going thru the proper channels. They are coming here not to become citizens and live by our laws and way of life. They come here to take and take and give nothing back. They don't want to assimilate to our way of life but what us to live by their ways. I think AZ needs to be supported for their stand on saying enough is enough. We have laws that say to come here without the proper paper work is a crime against the USA. Yet out federal government tells our local LE you can't ask them if they are illegal or do any thing.

Yes it's true we all came from some place else. But when our fore fathers came here they were willing to accept the laws and customs of the USA. Not so any more. Why is it they are above the law? If we were to go to any of their counties illegally we would be treating far worse than just rounding us up and sent back to the USA. We can't support these people. They laugh at how they can come here and take from us we are the stupid Americans.
The people better wake up soon.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 12:42:34 PM »

Like every one else I am outraged at what is happening with our borders. I have nothing against anyone wanting a better life. They need to do it legally period finished.  For them to say we are talking their rights away I ask what rights. YOU have broken the law by coming into the USA without going thru the proper channels. They are coming here not to become citizens and live by our laws and way of life. They come here to take and take and give nothing back. They don't want to assimilate to our way of life but what us to live by their ways. I think AZ needs to be supported for their stand on saying enough is enough. We have laws that say to come here without the proper paper work is a crime against the USA. Yet out federal government tells our local LE you can't ask them if they are illegal or do any thing.

Yes it's true we all came from some place else. But when our fore fathers came here they were willing to accept the laws and customs of the USA. Not so any more. Why is it they are above the law? If we were to go to any of their counties illegally we would be treating far worse than just rounding us up and sent back to the USA. We can't support these people. They laugh at how they can come here and take from us we are the stupid Americans.
The people really better wake up soon. And this nonsense about boycotting Arizona, did anyone think that hard decent people are working there and you are punishing the people who are doing nothing but working to support themselves and their families?
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 08:18:31 PM »

The people really better wake up soon. And this nonsense about boycotting Arizona, did anyone think that hard decent people are working there and you are punishing the people who are doing nothing but working to support themselves and their families?

it really is outrageous when you think about it all...
these people are protesting because we as American citizens want them to follow the law and come into our country legally??? is this a joke? and other American citizens are actually supporting them! I say let those Americans who feel like they want all these illegals living here, let them move into your home and you support them...starting with our wonderful president Obama...he doesn't want any of us making over a certain dollar amount, maybe he ought to throw in several of the millions of dollars that he earned last year...don't even get me started on any of this..Obama should be supporting Arizona and not saying on National television that it isn't right or what ever his wording was...Obama doesn't care if he is reelected for a second term, which he won't be...he will be able to do all of his damage that he set out to do within his first term...I was willing to and eager to give him a chance to give us change, but the more he shows me his change, the faster I am losing my change! and respect for him...
take a stand Mr. Obama...support those states who need our help with border patrol...keep the illegals in their own country! we can not support them anymore...we have our own country that needs our help..wake up America!!! had my vent...feeling better now...

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.