April 23, 2024, 08:52:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Police Find 8 yo Boy Hog Tied with Duct Tape & Tied to Table  (Read 13222 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: April 29, 2010, 08:02:07 PM »

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-child-duct-taped-tied-to-table,0,781071.story
Police Find Boy Duct Taped, Tied to Table
April 29, 2010

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A mother has been arrested after police found her 8-year-old son bound by duct tape.

According to Cleveland Police, officers responded to a call made from a home on East 50th Street at 1:15 a.m. Thursday morning.

Authorities say, officers were let into the home by a 15-year-old boy who told officers that his 8-year-old brother was tied to a table in the living room.

Police say they found the boy on the floor with his hands and feet duct taped behind his back. Officers say a shoelace was used to tie the child's feet and hands to the coffee table.

The boy's mother Andreia Huffman, 37, and a man in the home, Jason Dunikowski, 32, were arrested for domestic violence and endangering children.

Police say, both Huffman and Dunikowski were asleep in the room when police arrived.

Huffman and Dunikowski are currently being held in the Central Police Unit. Both have yet to be charged with a crime.

The nine children in the home were taken to the Department of Children and Family Services.

The incident is being investigated by Cleveland Police's sex crimes & child abuse unit.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:11:09 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 08:07:38 PM »

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=135153&catid=3
Cleveland: Police find boy duct-taped, tied to table
April 29, 2010

CLEVELAND -- Police have a man and woman in custody after finding a boy, 8, on the floor of an East 50th Street home with his hands and feet bound behind his back with duct tape, and tied to a coffee table.

At about 1:15 a.m. Thursday, police responded to a 9-1-1 call from a boy at a home at 3742 East 50th Street for a boy allegedly tied to a table.

The 9-1-1 caller said his mother makes his sister tie his brother up every night or his sister "gets beat.
"

Upon arrival, police said they were let into the home by a 15-year-old boy who said his 8-year-old brother was tied to a table.

Police discovered the boy on the floor with his hands and feet bound behind his back with duct tape and a shoelace around his neck and feet, tying him to the coffee tab
le.

Police saw the boy's mother, Andreia Huffman, 37, who was asleep in a bed across from the coffee table. They also saw Jason Dunikowski, 32, who was asleep on a couch next to the coffee table.

Officers woke them up, released the 8-year-old from his restraints, and questioned Huffman and Dunikowski.

Upon looking closer at the boy, police saw discoloration of the boy's hands and feet, as if he had been tied up for some length of time.

They also observed other marks on his hands, feet and what appeared to be a possible broken nose.

While police were talking to Huffman and Dunikowski, one of the other children in the house spoke up and told police of how the 8-year-old sustained his injuries.

Police officers then checked the other seven children in the home and found them not to have any visible injuries.

Huffman and Dunikowski were arrested for domestic violence and endangering children but they have not yet been charged.

All nine children were taken to the Department of Childen and Family Services' Jane Edna Hunter Center.

The Cleveland Police Sex Crimes & Child Abuse Unit are investigating.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:12:04 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:18:59 PM »

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/04/child_found_hog-tied_in_clevel.html
Parents arrested after child found tied to table in Cleveland home, police say
April 29, 2010

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cleveland police arrested a couple early Thursday after finding their 8-year-old son tied to a coffee table with a broken nose.

Andreia Huffman, 37, and her husband, Jason Dunikowski, 32, were jailed as detectives investigate them for domestic violence and child endangering. There were nine children, ages 3 to 17, in the home.

One of the children, a 15-year-old boy, called 9-1-1 about 1:15 a.m. and reported that the 8-year-old was tied to the table, Sgt. Sammy Morris said. Officers arrived at the house on East 50th Street and found the 8 year old on the floor. His hands and feet were bound behind his back with duct tape, and a shoelace was around his neck and feet tied him to the table, Morris said.

Huffman was sleeping in a bed near the child, and Dunikowski was sleeping on a couch next to the table, police said. Officers found severe discoloration on the his hands suggesting that he have been tied up for a long time, Morris said. They also found bruises on his hands, feet as well as the broken nose, he added.

The 8 year old appeared to have been beaten daily, said Deborah Forkas, director of the Cuyahoga County Children and Family Services.

The boy who called police told The Plain Dealer that he needed to take action after witnessing the incidents in the house. He said the family came to Cleveland about six years ago from Kentucky.
"I couldn't deal with it anymore," he said in a telephone interview from the lobby a social-service agency.

This is what happened when officers came to the house, according to the police report;

Huffman told officers that her 17-year-old daughter tied up the boy. One of the other children then told officers that Huffman makes the older child tie the boy and slam his head into a wall.

"I am not the only one who does it," Huffman yelled, "and I'm not the only one that's going to get in trouble."

Dunikowski, father of the five youngest children, acknowledged he knew about the child being restrained. The 15 year old urged Dunikowski to confess what he does to the boy.

"You did it, too," Huffman yelled.

The 15 year old said that Huffman repeatedly smashed the 8 year old's face into the wall and pointed to a crack in the wall. An officer had the boy stand next to the crack and determined the crack matched up precisely to his face.

A police supervisor asked Huffman why she didn't take the child to the hospital.

"Just because I didn't," she replied.

The 8-year-old boy then tugged on an officer's pant leg and pointed to a piece of wood wrapped with tape.

"They hit me with that," the boy told officers.

Another child confirmed it. Officers then handcuffed Huffman and Dunikowski.

The other eight children did not have visible injuries. Social workers took custody of the kids -- two girls and seven boys -- and doctors evaluated them, Forkas said.

The family has no history in Juvenile Court here, but Kentucky officials took custody of the kids several years ago, said Lynne Chavers, a Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court staff attorney.

Huffman's mother, Betty, said she was not surprised by the allegations and is glad her daughter is in jail.

"That's good," Betty Huffamn said from Kentucky. "Please don't let her get those kids back."

I had started bolding some of the parts of this article and find the whole thing could be bolded.     I'm glad the 15 yo boy called police.  No telling how much longer this would have gone on and might eventually have cost the 8 yo his life.  I cannot imagine this boy enduring treatment like this on a continuing basis.   

LynneinMd.
Scared Monkey

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 03:56:06 PM »

Thank God that child was rescued before they killed him.  What POS's to make the other children do things to him too.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:29:58 AM »

Thank God that child was rescued before they killed him.  What POS's to make the other children do things to him too.

I too am glad he was rescued before they killed him.  From the description in the articles, it appears the other children were subject to abuse also, but not nearly at the level the eight year old boy was, and I don't know the reason the abuse seemed to be worst for him.  I've seen in some other cases where there were multiple children, sometimes only one was singled out for abuse.    

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 09:33:03 AM »

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-nine-children-removed-after-duct-tape-incident,0,689209.story
(Video)
9 Children Placed in Foster Care After Boy Found Duct-Taped
April 30, 2010

CLEVELAND - Unthinkable cruelty and child abuse was discovered inside a home located at 3742 E. 50th Street in Cleveland.

Police responded to a 911 call on Thursday and found an 8-year-old boy hogtied to a coffee table inside the house.

The boy's 15-year-old brother made the horrifying call. "My little brother is downstairs tied-up to a table and he's trying to get out," he said.

The teen then told the dispatcher that his mother makes his sister tie the boy up every night or else his "sister gets beat."

According to police reports, the 8-year-old's hands and feet were bound with duct-tape behind his back.

The report also reveals that shoelaces were tied around his neck and feet and that his skin was "severely discolored" indicating he may have been tied up for some time.

Authorities say the boy had a broken nose, which his mother, 37-year-old Andreia Huffman, blamed on her daughter.

But the other children said their mother did it. In fact, they told police that, Huffman "repeatedly slammed his face into a wall."

Police say a crack on the wall matches the exact wounds on the child.

Huffman and her husband, the boy's father, 32-year-old Jason Dunikowski, were arrested for child endangering and domestic violence.

The Cuyahoga County Children and Family Services says they have only received one referral for physical abuse at the house that was determined to be "unsubstantiated," since the family returned to Cleveland from Kentucky within the last few years.

The couple has no other record of alleged criminal activity here in Ohio, but there are multiple records out of Fayette County, KY. In 2002, Huffman was charged with 40 counts of Theft by Deception for passing bad checks.

She is currently wanted on a bench warrant for failing to pay restitution.

Huffman and Dunikowski married on September 11, 2000 and have 5 children together.

Four other children from Andreia's previous relationships also lived at the house in Cleveland.

Next door neighbor, Larry Richard's says, he didn't see or hear any signs of abuse, but the children did often "seem scared."

The couple is currently locked up in the Cuyahoga County county jail.

Police say charges are forthcoming, although none have been filed.

According to a spokesperson with the Cuyahoga County Department of Children and Family Services, all nine children were placed together in the same two-parent foster home.

In a mission statement, a spokesperson said, "The Department of Children and Family Services is focused on the children's medical, physical and behavioral needs. The Department is working closely with the Cleveland Police."

Cleveland Police Sex Crimes & Child Abuse Unit is investigating.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:36:30 AM »

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-child-duct-taped-tied-to-table,0,781071.story
(Video)
Aunt of Duct-Taped Boy Says Parents Should be 'Locked Up'
April 30, 2010

CLEVELAND - Two parents remain under arrest after an eight-year-old boy was found hogtied to a coffee table inside his family home at 3742 E. 50th Street in Cleveland Thursday morning.

The boy was discovered after police responded to a 911call placed by his 15-year-old brother. "My little brother is downstairs tied-up to a table and he's trying to get out," the teen said on the call.

The older brother then told the dispatcher that his mother makes his sister tie the boy up every night or else his "sister gets beat."

According to police reports, the 8-year-old's hands and feet were bound with duct-tape behind his back.

Now, as the boy's parents await charges, which police say are "forthcoming," all nine children living inside the home have been placed in foster care.

On Friday, the little boy's aunt spoke exclusively to Fox 8 News. She is the sister of 32-year-old Jason Dunikowski, the boy's father.

Dunikowski and his wife, 37-year-old Andreia Huffman, were arrested for domestic violence and child endangering.

During the interview, the aunt claimed that her brother and his wife have been abusing their children for years. "To me, they should never have their kids back and they should be locked up."

The woman, who asked not to be identified, said, "I don't believe in abusing kids, that to me is not the way you're supposed to raise a kid."

The aunt says her brother is the father of five of the children inside the home. She says the abuse allegations aren't the least bit surprising.

She also claimed to have witnessed the boy's mother hitting her teenage son in front of her. The aunt says she even placed an anonymous phone call to Children Services, but to no avail.

"We were at Berea playground. The fork that you stab a hot dog with, [mother] threw it at him and stabbed him...and that's when I called."

The aunt says her mother also called Children Services but the children were never removed from the home. "It felt like I let [kids] them down. Even though we called, nothing has ever been done. It made me sick."

The Department of Children and Family Services says the couple and their children moved from Kentucky to Cleveland a few years ago. During that time, they have only received one phone call about physical abuse which was determined to be "unsubstantiated."

Now that the parents are in custody, the aunt can only hope these children will get the proper care and love they deserve.

"The kids need a better place. They need more help, they need a place where they can be loved and be children."

In a mission statement, a spokesperson said, "The Department of Children and Family Services is focused on the children's medical, physical and behavioral needs. The Department is working closely with the Cleveland Police."

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 02:34:44 AM »

I read this earlier and it made me sick to think of the pain this poor little boy had to endure. I am very thankful they found him alive. Thank god the brother was brave enough to reach out for help.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 06:58:10 PM »

I too am glad he was rescued before they killed him.  From the description in the articles, it appears the other children were subject to abuse also, but not nearly at the level the eight year old boy was, and I don't know the reason the abuse seemed to be worst for him.  I've seen in some other cases where there were multiple children, sometimes only one was singled out for abuse.    
Muffy, have you every read why certain children are singled out for abuse?  This is mystifying to me.  Or is a matter of degrees?

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 07:22:39 PM »

Muffy, have you every read why certain children are singled out for abuse?  This is mystifying to me.  Or is a matter of degrees?

Here is a very informative article I found.  The link www.child-abuse-effects.com has a lot of information, but here is the link to the specific article:

http://www.child-abuse-effects.com/why-parents-target-a-specific-child-for-abuse.html
Why Parents Target a Specific Child for Abuse
Article originally posted October 2007 issue Barriere Bits E-zine
Research into target-child selection, a term that is sometimes used to describe incidences where a parent singles out one child for abuse, is extremely limited. This is due partly to the fact that child abuse continues to be under-reported, and partly because target-child selection is often unidentified even though it may be present.

Some researchers attribute this targeting to stress levels, and often times, substance abuse. Others cite a history of abuse in the parent's childhood. While these attributions may explain child abuse in general, they do not adequately explain why a parent would single out a particular child.

There are professionals in the field who believe the answer to this targeting question lies in the misguided perception of one child: that abuse of siblings, for one reason or another, is simply not recognized by the child who believes that he or she was singled out. But growing evidence does not support this. More and more cases of child targeting are being discovered. Not through children or adults speaking out about their experiences; rather, through the investigations conducted by authorities after child abuse is reported.

One of the most infamous cases of a parent singling out a child for abuse is that of Dave Pelzer, author of several books, including A Child Called "It." Dave suffered years of abuse at the hands of his mother, and she repeatedly tried to kill him. He was 12 years old before he was rescued by teachers who finally reported the abuse to Social Services. At the time (1973), Dave's case was considered the worse case of child abuse in the history of California. None of his brothers were abused. And even if one wanted to argue that the other boys in the family had been abused, the physical evidence unmistakably showed that Dave was singled out.

There are many other cases. Take the recently publicized case of a 13-year-old Houston, Texas boy, who was so badly neglected that he currently weighs only 72 pounds. He is reportedly so small that he looks more like a 7-year-old than a teenager. His mother and stepfather are said to have kept him locked in an attic or in a closet. There is no doubt that they starved him. Investigators found none of the couple's five children had been in a school in two years, but only the 13-year-old boy had been abused. Old and new scars, healed burns and possible bite scars were found on the boy. Neighbours were aware of the boy's 4 siblings, but did not know the 13-year-old existed. While all of the children were neglected in some way, the teenage boy was singled out for torturous physical abuse and severe neglect that almost led to his death. At the time of this writing, the parents were still in jail.

We can only speculate why both his biological mother and stepfather targeted this boy. But even speculation has its basis in fact. So what are the facts?

We know that some children are more at risk for abuse than others. A child with poor cognitive skills and who exhibits behavioural problems is at significant risk for child abuse. Other risk factors for children and youth include their sexual orientation and a disability. Children who have a dependency for personal care for such disabilities as the inability to see, hear, move, communicate, dress, toilet or bathe themselves independently are more vulnerable to rough, careless or intrusive care, or neglect of their personal needs.

An American study found that parents are almost twice as likely to abuse a child with a disability as without a disability. Other studies reveal that people with disability are up to 5 times more likely to be abused than the general population.

By and large, society has no problem accepting that fathers are capable of harming their children. Men have had to deal with this unfounded societal bias since the beginning of time. There is a preconception that because boys are more physical and display anger more readily, they are somehow predisposed to violence against children when they become adults. But statistics reflect that women use physical abuse more than men. Society as a whole has difficulty wrapping their minds around this statistic. If society accepts that women, the caregivers and nurturers, are capable of physically harming their children, then it undermines the very core of our belief system.

Facts are facts: Both men and women are capable of maliciously and fatally abusing one or more of their children.

What do we know about abusive parents?

An abusive parent is a person who misuses his or her power. If parenting becomes overwhelming and support systems are insufficient, there is a much higher likelihood for becoming a child abuser. Some adults are more prone to becoming abusive due to their histories, their psychological make up, and their behavioural characteristics. Biological factors also enter into the equation. An abusive parent tends to have:

* low self-esteem
    * poor impulse control
    * low frustration tolerance
    * inappropriate expression of anger
    * impaired parenting skills
    * inadequate coping skills
    * tendency for role reversal (i.e. child takes care of parent)
    * tendency to shift responsibility onto others
    * depression and other mental health problems
    * inadequate knowledge of child developmental stages
    * preconception that child's behaviour is stressful
    * anti-social behaviours (but not always)
    * self-expressed anger
    * feelings of inadequacy
    * feelings of incompetence
    * unrealistic expectations

There are a multitude of reasons a parent might target a specific child for abuse:

* the parent abuses alcohol, drugs or other substances
    * post-partum depression
    * a history of child abuse in their own childhood
    * a history in their own childhood of inappropriate teachings of discipline for specific wrongdoings
    * social isolation
    * poor coping skills
    * a hatred of one gender over another
    * belief that a boy should be raised differently, in some cases, with more brutality and physically inappropriate discipline than a girl
    * the child is viewed as "difficult" or "won't listen" or "different"
          o hyperactive or inactive
          o fussy
          o difficult to feed
          o abnormal sleep patterns
          o excessive crying
          o difficult temperament
          o unresponsive to parents' efforts
          o child is seen as "unattractive" and/or "flawed" in a physical way, such as with disability or disfigurement
          o too passive
          o too strong-willed
          o failure to attach (bond) with the child
          o adopted
          o adolescents
    * the child is viewed as an adversary (a mother might see her daughter as competition for her husband's attention; a father might see in his daughter a trait he dislikes in his wife and view her as an enemy)
    * the child is viewed as being "spoiled" by the other parent – in these cases, the abusive parent justifies the maltreatment of that child as "making up" for the perceived lack of discipline imposed on that child
    * the parent dislikes certain personality traits and quirks that the child exhibits, especially if these traits are seen as mimicking someone the parent is either suspicious of or has a particular aversion to (an estranged or abusive spouse, for example)
    * the parent dislikes the fact that the child resembles in looks, someone the parent feels loathing toward (a spouse who has been unfaithful, for example)
    * the parent is jealous of the child's looks, mannerisms, character, ability to get attention, etc., then subsequently punishes the child for those perceived "misdeeds"
    * the child was a product of infidelity, incest, sexual assault, or an otherwise unwanted pregnancy
    * the pregnancy or delivery was difficult
    * child was born during period of extreme stress and crises
    * disappointment that the boy-child wasn't a girl, or the girl-child wasn't a boy
    * child is seen as "abnormal"
          o born significantly premature
          o small for gestational age
          o congenital problems
          o autistic
          o born with a disability or disfigurement
          o acute or chronic illnesses

It is important to note here that the above reasons and examples in no way provide an excuse for parents to abuse a child. They clearly denote mental health issues that must be addressed.

To summarize, parenting is never easy, and being a parent does not immunize a person from harming a child, even when that child is biologically theirs. When a child does not meet expectations, the parent may become more abusive toward that child. The parent may show greater irritation and annoyance to one specific child's moods and behaviours, and may be more controlling and hostile toward that child, and subsequently vent their frustrations on that child.

Parents who target one child for abuse have convoluted ideas about who and what that child is, as well as what is and isn't appropriate discipline and parental behaviour. Some children by virtue of who they are, what they look like, and the circumstances of their being are more vulnerable for abuse than other children. When these realities are combined, it is a recipe for malicious and sometimes fatal child abuse.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 10:53:36 AM »

Here is a very informative article I found.  The link www.child-abuse-effects.com has a lot of information, but here is the link to the specific article:

http://www.child-abuse-effects.com/why-parents-target-a-specific-child-for-abuse.html
Why Parents Target a Specific Child for Abuse
Article originally posted October 2007 issue Barriere Bits E-zine
Research into target-child selection, a term that is sometimes used to describe incidences where a parent singles out one child for abuse, is extremely limited. This is due partly to the fact that child abuse continues to be under-reported, and partly because target-child selection is often unidentified even though it may be present.

Some researchers attribute this targeting to stress levels, and often times, substance abuse. Others cite a history of abuse in the parent's childhood. While these attributions may explain child abuse in general, they do not adequately explain why a parent would single out a particular child.

There are professionals in the field who believe the answer to this targeting question lies in the misguided perception of one child: that abuse of siblings, for one reason or another, is simply not recognized by the child who believes that he or she was singled out. But growing evidence does not support this. More and more cases of child targeting are being discovered. Not through children or adults speaking out about their experiences; rather, through the investigations conducted by authorities after child abuse is reported.

One of the most infamous cases of a parent singling out a child for abuse is that of Dave Pelzer, author of several books, including A Child Called "It." Dave suffered years of abuse at the hands of his mother, and she repeatedly tried to kill him. He was 12 years old before he was rescued by teachers who finally reported the abuse to Social Services. At the time (1973), Dave's case was considered the worse case of child abuse in the history of California. None of his brothers were abused. And even if one wanted to argue that the other boys in the family had been abused, the physical evidence unmistakably showed that Dave was singled out.

There are many other cases. Take the recently publicized case of a 13-year-old Houston, Texas boy, who was so badly neglected that he currently weighs only 72 pounds. He is reportedly so small that he looks more like a 7-year-old than a teenager. His mother and stepfather are said to have kept him locked in an attic or in a closet. There is no doubt that they starved him. Investigators found none of the couple's five children had been in a school in two years, but only the 13-year-old boy had been abused. Old and new scars, healed burns and possible bite scars were found on the boy. Neighbours were aware of the boy's 4 siblings, but did not know the 13-year-old existed. While all of the children were neglected in some way, the teenage boy was singled out for torturous physical abuse and severe neglect that almost led to his death. At the time of this writing, the parents were still in jail.

We can only speculate why both his biological mother and stepfather targeted this boy. But even speculation has its basis in fact. So what are the facts?

We know that some children are more at risk for abuse than others. A child with poor cognitive skills and who exhibits behavioural problems is at significant risk for child abuse. Other risk factors for children and youth include their sexual orientation and a disability. Children who have a dependency for personal care for such disabilities as the inability to see, hear, move, communicate, dress, toilet or bathe themselves independently are more vulnerable to rough, careless or intrusive care, or neglect of their personal needs.

An American study found that parents are almost twice as likely to abuse a child with a disability as without a disability. Other studies reveal that people with disability are up to 5 times more likely to be abused than the general population.

By and large, society has no problem accepting that fathers are capable of harming their children. Men have had to deal with this unfounded societal bias since the beginning of time. There is a preconception that because boys are more physical and display anger more readily, they are somehow predisposed to violence against children when they become adults. But statistics reflect that women use physical abuse more than men. Society as a whole has difficulty wrapping their minds around this statistic. If society accepts that women, the caregivers and nurturers, are capable of physically harming their children, then it undermines the very core of our belief system.

Facts are facts: Both men and women are capable of maliciously and fatally abusing one or more of their children.

What do we know about abusive parents?

An abusive parent is a person who misuses his or her power. If parenting becomes overwhelming and support systems are insufficient, there is a much higher likelihood for becoming a child abuser. Some adults are more prone to becoming abusive due to their histories, their psychological make up, and their behavioural characteristics. Biological factors also enter into the equation. An abusive parent tends to have:

* low self-esteem
    * poor impulse control
    * low frustration tolerance
    * inappropriate expression of anger
    * impaired parenting skills
    * inadequate coping skills
    * tendency for role reversal (i.e. child takes care of parent)
    * tendency to shift responsibility onto others
    * depression and other mental health problems
    * inadequate knowledge of child developmental stages
    * preconception that child's behaviour is stressful
    * anti-social behaviours (but not always)
    * self-expressed anger
    * feelings of inadequacy
    * feelings of incompetence
    * unrealistic expectations

There are a multitude of reasons a parent might target a specific child for abuse:

* the parent abuses alcohol, drugs or other substances
    * post-partum depression
    * a history of child abuse in their own childhood
    * a history in their own childhood of inappropriate teachings of discipline for specific wrongdoings
    * social isolation
    * poor coping skills
    * a hatred of one gender over another
    * belief that a boy should be raised differently, in some cases, with more brutality and physically inappropriate discipline than a girl
    * the child is viewed as "difficult" or "won't listen" or "different"
          o hyperactive or inactive
          o fussy
          o difficult to feed
          o abnormal sleep patterns
          o excessive crying
          o difficult temperament
          o unresponsive to parents' efforts
          o child is seen as "unattractive" and/or "flawed" in a physical way, such as with disability or disfigurement
          o too passive
          o too strong-willed
          o failure to attach (bond) with the child
          o adopted
          o adolescents
    * the child is viewed as an adversary (a mother might see her daughter as competition for her husband's attention; a father might see in his daughter a trait he dislikes in his wife and view her as an enemy)
    * the child is viewed as being "spoiled" by the other parent – in these cases, the abusive parent justifies the maltreatment of that child as "making up" for the perceived lack of discipline imposed on that child
    * the parent dislikes certain personality traits and quirks that the child exhibits, especially if these traits are seen as mimicking someone the parent is either suspicious of or has a particular aversion to (an estranged or abusive spouse, for example)
    * the parent dislikes the fact that the child resembles in looks, someone the parent feels loathing toward (a spouse who has been unfaithful, for example)
    * the parent is jealous of the child's looks, mannerisms, character, ability to get attention, etc., then subsequently punishes the child for those perceived "misdeeds"
    * the child was a product of infidelity, incest, sexual assault, or an otherwise unwanted pregnancy
    * the pregnancy or delivery was difficult
    * child was born during period of extreme stress and crises
    * disappointment that the boy-child wasn't a girl, or the girl-child wasn't a boy
    * child is seen as "abnormal"
          o born significantly premature
          o small for gestational age
          o congenital problems
          o autistic
          o born with a disability or disfigurement
          o acute or chronic illnesses

It is important to note here that the above reasons and examples in no way provide an excuse for parents to abuse a child. They clearly denote mental health issues that must be addressed.

To summarize, parenting is never easy, and being a parent does not immunize a person from harming a child, even when that child is biologically theirs. When a child does not meet expectations, the parent may become more abusive toward that child. The parent may show greater irritation and annoyance to one specific child's moods and behaviours, and may be more controlling and hostile toward that child, and subsequently vent their frustrations on that child.

Parents who target one child for abuse have convoluted ideas about who and what that child is, as well as what is and isn't appropriate discipline and parental behaviour. Some children by virtue of who they are, what they look like, and the circumstances of their being are more vulnerable for abuse than other children. When these realities are combined, it is a recipe for malicious and sometimes fatal child abuse.

Muffy, thank you so very much for this article.  I will be able to use this in our Safe Sanctuary group for the church.  I really appreciate it.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 11:19:07 PM »

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-boy-duct-taped-parents-indicted,0,171809.story
(video)
Couple Who Duct-Taped Son Hit with 196-Count Indictment
May 28, 2010
CLEVELAND - The parents of an 8-year-old boy found hog-tied with duct tape and tied to a coffee table, have been indicted on a series of charges.

Cuyahoga County prosecutors say 37-year-old Andreia Huffman and her husband, 32-year-old Jason Dunikowski, are responsible for one of the worst cases of child abuse they have ever seen.

"I think it would be a disservice to call these parents animals because animals quite frankly treat their offspring much better," Assistant Prosecutor Mike O'Malley said.

Investigators say the couple brutalized their nine children inside their Slavic Village home and say their treatment of their eight-year-old son rose to the level of torture.

"At night, he was hogtied with duct tape, both his wrists and his ankles tied behind his back and tied to a table," O'Malley told Fox 8 News.

Authorities say during the day, the boy, who has never been allowed to attend school, was forced to stand against a wall with his hands on his head and would pay a heavy price if he didn't do it to his parents' satisfaction.

"The evidence shows that there's cracks where his face had been repeatedly smashed into the wall and had suffered numerous broken noses as a result of that abuse," O'Malley said.

The torture finally came to an end when the boy's 14-year-old brother decided to call Cleveland's child abuse hotline, 696-KIDS.

And on Thursday, a Cuyahoga County grand jury returned a 196-count indictment against the couple, charging them with multiple counts of kidnapping, child endangering and felonious assault.

The couple is currently being held in the county jail, and their children are in foster care.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 07:26:46 PM »

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=146123&catid=3
Cleveland: Two plead guilty to 196 charges involving children
August 30, 2010

CLEVELAND -- Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Bill Mason said that Andreia Huffman, 37, and Jason Dunikowski, 32, both of Cleveland, both pleaded guilty to all respective charges in their 196-count indictment.

Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 21.

The 196-count indictment included the following: 180 counts of kidnapping and 2 counts of endangering children against both defendants; and 8 counts of endangering children and 6 counts of felonious assault against Huffman.

According to Mason, over a period of at least six months, during each day from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., Huffman and Dunikowski forced their 8-year-old son to stand facing the wall with his hands clasped behind his head as a form of punishment.

While standing facing the wall, Huffman repeatedly pushed her son's face through the wall of the house. He suffered repeated broken noses.

Each night, the defendants hog-tied the boy's feet and hands with duct tape and then tied him to the living room coffee table.

Huffman also abused her now 17-year-old daughter by hitting her in the face and in the back of the head with a taped wood-like paddle.

Huffman used this same piece of wood to strike the 8-year-old boy in the back of the legs and buttocks.

The defendants did not send their 8-year-old son to school for two years. His existence was unknown to the school system.

He could only count to the number 6 and thought he was 10 years old. He couldn't read.

Currently, all of the children are living in foster homes and receiving care.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 07:34:56 PM »

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/parents-plead-guilty-to-tying-son-to-table-for-several-days
Parents plead guilty to tying son to table for several days
August 30, 2010

(snip)
Jason Dunikowski, 32, and Andreia Huffman, 37, were facing nearly 200 counts of kidnapping, endangering children and felonious assault.

After the two pleaded guilty, both the defense and prosecution recommended that Huffman received 17 years in prison and Dunikowski receive 15 years. Both sides recommended that the parents not be eligible for early release.

The sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 21, and the judge does not have to follow the recommendations from the prosecution.
(snip)
So much suffering.      It's a good thing the brother called the Cleveland Child Abuse Hotline.  It was the right thing to do, but I imagine it was pretty scary for him too, given the kind of punishment at the home.  jmho

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 11:44:13 PM »

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-couple-sentenced-hog-tie-kid-txt,0,5439848.story
(video)
Sentence Surprise for Couple Who Tied Son, Tortured Kids
***Warning: Content May Be Disturbing***

September 21, 2010

CLEVELAND - A Cuyahoga County judge said the abuse their children endured was nothing short of torture, and now a Cleveland couple is headed to prison.

Jason Dunikowski, 32, and his wife Andreia Huffman, 37, were sentenced by Judge Kathleen Ann Sutula Tuesday. The couple pleaded guilty to multiple counts of kidnapping and child endangering. Additionally, Huffman pleaded guilty to charges of felonious assault. Huffman was sentenced to 34 years in prison, and Dunikowski will spend the next 26 years in prison without the chance for early release.

The couple was arrested in May after one of their nine children called 911. Prosecutors say Huffman forced her daughter to hogtie her 8-year-old brother to the coffee table. They say additionally the boy wasn't allowed to go to school, instead, was forced to stand against a wall with his hands behind his head during the day. The boy suffered multiple broken noses as a result of Huffman repeatedly smashing the boy's face into the wall.

Dunikowski claimed he didn't know the abuse was happening, but one of the children who spoke before sentencing said that isn't true.

"He seen it everyday happen. He was two inches away from this child every night when I was told to tie him up and it hurts me to this day that I had to do that and I'm still shaken to this day because of it. I don't know what to say about it except it hurts me to see that I can't have my whole family together again," she said.

The boy's foster mother told the judge that he has permanent injuries to his feet and knees resulting from the way he was tied, as well as a spinal injury. She said he can't sleep at night because he has constant nightmares.

"This, make no mistake about it, was torture. We don't allow our military to engage in acts of torture, why would be allow our children to endure it," Judge Kathleen Ann Sutula said before sentencing.

Sutula said she opted for a longer sentence to ensure that the couple would not be released from prison while their nine children are still juveniles.

The children are in foster care, and the couple has been ordered to have no contact with the children during and after their incarceration.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 11:51:41 PM »

http://www.wtam.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=122520&article=7621463
Couple sentenced for frightening abuse of child
Boy was hog-tied to a table at night and forced to stand all day.

September 21, 2010

Cleveland) - A Cleveland couple was sentenced Tuesday for the horrible mistreatment of their child.

37-year-old Andreia Huffman and 32-year-old Jason Dunikowski pleaded guilty August 30 to a 196 count indictment.

Huffman was given 34 years in prison by Judge Kathleen Ann Sutula and Dunikowski got 26 years. There is no opportunity for early release. Prosecutors had recommended 17 years in prison for Huffman and 15 for Dunikowski.

Huffman, who claims to be a victim of childhood abuse herself, sobbed and apologized during the procedings.

Over a period of at least six months, Huffman and Dunikowski essentially tortured their 8-year-old son. Each day from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm, the made him stand facing the wall with his hans clasped behind his head as a form of punishment.

While he was standing there, Huffman repeatedly shoved the boy's face into the wall causing him to break his nose several times. It will require surgery when he is an adult.

Each night, Huffman and Dunikowski hog-tied the boy's hands and feet with duct tape and tied him to the living room coffee table.

Huffman also abused her now 17-year-old daughter by hitting her in the face and back of the head with a wood-like paddle. She used the same piece of wood to smack the 8-year-old victim in the back of the legs and buttocks.

The boy was kept out of school for two years and he wasn't even known to the school system. Investigators say he could not read, could only count to six and thought he was 10-years-old.

The boy's 15-year-old brother called police back in April triggering the arrest. They had ten kids, nine living with them. All of the children are in foster care and are getting counseling.

The couple's now 18-year-old daughter spoke in court and said she is still shaken to this day. The daughter is glad she and her siblings can now move on.

The indictment included 180 counts of kidnapping and numerous counts of endangering children and felonious assault.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 09:14:01 PM »

They should be tied to a table, head smashed in wall, every day of their sentences.  Man, these POS really burn me.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 09:22:29 PM »

Sister, I'm glad one of the kids finally called the police.  I don't know how much longer this poor child could have endured this kind of daily punishment.  I think it would have just been a matter of time before he succumbed to injuries or his parents just decided to off him on a whim.  I sincerely hope he will be able to heal, feel safe and have a good life.  Same goes for the rest of the children.  I hope none of them have to encounter the parents again unless they want to and on their own terms as adults.  Maybe they will want to confront the parents?

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 01:58:52 AM »

Sister, I'm glad one of the kids finally called the police.  I don't know how much longer this poor child could have endured this kind of daily punishment.  I think it would have just been a matter of time before he succumbed to injuries or his parents just decided to off him on a whim.  I sincerely hope he will be able to heal, feel safe and have a good life.  Same goes for the rest of the children.  I hope none of them have to encounter the parents again unless they want to and on their own terms as adults.  Maybe they will want to confront the parents?
I hope these POS die in jail.  Sometimes I wonder about myself as that attitude seems so harsh.  But it is the way I feel.  Virginia executed a woman tonight . . . it's probably posted somewhere here, but I truly felt she deserved to die.  After she and her husband prayed together . . . she lets in the hired killers, etc.  Supposedly she changed, I hope she did, but it has nothing to do with her punishment.  IMO

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.