April 27, 2024, 03:14:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Venus Rose Stewart 32, msg 5/3/10 - Colon Township, MI (Hubby Convicted)  (Read 63854 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »

I don't know. I can't even find a Mug Shot of him...but I am not good at that anyway.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2010, 07:54:13 PM »

Thanks for the updates, I am so glad they arrested him! What a selfish pos:(

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2010, 08:34:09 AM »

Police convinced Venus Stewart is dead: Cooperation by alleged accomplice Richard Spencer key to murder charge

Published: Thursday, June 24, 2010, 8:01 AM     
CENTREVILLE — Little is yet known about Richard Spencer, the man police interviewed Tuesday in the apparent abduction and killing of Venus Rose Stewart.

What’s clear is what Spencer told investigators about Douglas H. Stewart turned Venus Stewart’s estranged husband from a person of interest to a murder defendant.

St. Joseph County Prosecutor John McDonough said authorities believe that Douglas Stewart and Spencer began conspiring in early April on a plan that led to Venus Stewart’s abduction and death.

“He has been tremendously cooperative and is certainly a big reason why we are here today,” McDonough of Spencer said Wednesday at a press conference during which he announced he had authorized charges of open murder and conspiracy to commit first-degree premeditated murder against Douglas Stewart.

Spencer allegedly acted as an impostor for Stewart and visited an attorney’s office in Newport News, Va., on April 26 to make a payment on Stewart’s legal account.

McDonough acknowledged that Douglas Stewart and Spencer were acquaintances but declined Wednesday to discuss why Spencer would take part in the alleged conspiracy or whether he knew Venus Stewart. The prosecutor declining to give Spencer’s age or residence or to discuss  when police tracked him down.

Based on information Spencer and “numerous different sources” have provided, investigators are “convinced” Venus Stewart is dead, the McDonough said. Spencer, however, was not able to shed light on where her body may be located, according to the prosecutor.

Douglas Stewart, 29, was arraigned on the felony charges Wednesday in St. Joseph County District Court and faces up to life in prison on each count, if convicted. A judge ordered that he be held on $4 million cash/surety bond.

The Kalamazoo Gazette was unable to reach Douglas Stewart’s attorney, Jeffrey M. Schroder, of Portage, for comment. Venus Stewart’s father, Larry McComb, said Wednesday that he had been advised by his attorney not to speak with the media.

Spencer has not been charged with a crime and was not being held by police, as of Wednesday, due to his cooperation, McDonough said. He will at some point face charges, however, and is expected to testify at a hearing on evidence against Douglas Stewart scheduled for July 1, the prosecutor said.

Stewart’s arrest Tuesday near his parents’ home in Fulton and the filing of charges Wednesday were the latest developments in a case that began April 26. That was the day, Michigan State Police have said, that Venus Stewart was abducted in front of her parents’ Colon Township home between 7:10 and 8:30 a.m. as the pajama-clad mother of two went to the mailbox to mail a letter.

McDonough said Wednesday, however, that police now allege Douglas Stewart was able to lure his estranged wife from the Driftwood Drive residence, after which he abducted her, killed her and disposed of her body.

Investigators allege that Douglas Stewart traveled from Newport News, Va., where he resided, on April 25 and stopped at a Walmart in Ohio to purchase a tarp, gloves, shovel and hat that were listed on a receipt found in his pickup truck. Police have information that after the alleged abduction and murder, Stewart traveled back to Virginia, where he met with Spencer, exchanged clothes that Spencer had worn to impersonate him and the two men went their “separate ways.”

With Douglas Stewart now charged and jailed, McDonough said “priority one” is to locate Venus Stewart’s body. He said police “have ideas” about where her body may be located and how she died, but declined to elaborate.

The prosecutor also acknowledged that a possible plea deal for Douglas Stewart in exchange for information on the whereabouts of his estranged wife’s body is “something to be discussed at a later date.”

Spencer gave investigators information about a possible murder motive, according to McDonough, who declined to elaborate on specifics.

“I think he was very angry with her,” the prosecutor said of Douglas Stewart.

As the investigation continues, authorities are still awaiting results of lab tests on evidence, including suspected blood found in Douglas Stewart’s pickup truck during a May 5 search of the vehicle.

Police have said tire treads on the truck appear to match tire marks found at the scene of Venus Stewart’s disappearance. McDonough said police are still working to bring the truck to Michigan from Virginia for further analysis.

McDonough said, however, that lab results will not make or break his case against Douglas Stewart and that the investigation has already “given us enough beyond a reasonable doubt that (Douglas Stewart) is the person and (Venus) is in fact deceased.”
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/06/police_convinced_venus_stewart.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2010, 08:35:14 AM »

MUG SHOT

Douglas Stewart
Courtesy of St. Joseph County Sheriff's Office
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:37:27 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

newfie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2010, 03:36:37 PM »

Such a waste of a man! There are two little girls that will grow up without a mother and a father now. They will grow up knowing that their daddy killed their mommy. How horrible and sad this is.  This will follow them for the rest of their lives.  What a selfish @$%^&!( I guess that is allowed as far as cursing). I wonder if he will reveal where he dumped her body?  This is just awful......  Sad
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2010, 07:35:48 AM »

Stewart’s bond was set at $4 million. He is set for preconference hearing on June 29 and a preliminary exam July 1.

http://www.sturgisjournal.com/features/x696774323/Stewart-charged-with-murder

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2010, 12:11:05 PM »

Stewart’s bond was set at $4 million. He is set for preconference hearing on June 29 and a preliminary exam July 1.

http://www.sturgisjournal.com/features/x696774323/Stewart-charged-with-murder

Yeah, a bond that means something!!!
What a piece of ********

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2010, 04:19:07 PM »

A decomposed body has been found in Hudson Township, apx. 85 miles East of Colon Twp.
http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=12471721

General area map US127/Hudson MI
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=US%20127%20Hudson%2C%20MI

Hop/Skip and Jump South to I-80 to head back to VA

Well, these say it is a 'skeleton' buried deep in the ground...huge difference between 'a body'  'a decomposed body' and 'a skeleton' Rolling Eyes I loathe the media...although, what would we do without them? Especially me...since I am the queen of copy and paste  Cool

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=12473453
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=7439238

Well...here is one we can rule out >
UPDATE: New details have been released on the human remains found earlier this week in Lenawee County. The Michigan State Police Forensics Lab has determined that the remains were from an individual who was buried at the location.

Crews also found shreds of wood and square nails, which indicate that person was buried in a casket, perhaps around the mid 1800's. The remains are now on their way to the Michigan State University anthropology unit for further evaluation.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2010, 06:22:29 PM »

Man admits to impersonating husband of missing Venus Stewart
June 25, 2:45 AM

Investigators had tracked down a man named Richard Spencer who admitted he had impersonated Douglas Stewart, by wearing his clothes, so that Douglas had an alibi for where he was the night that Venus disappeared, according to CBS affiliate WWMT.

Spencer met Douglas through the internet and was not paid to act as an impersonator.

St. Joseph County Prosecutor John McDonough speaking at a press conference said based on information investigators have learned from many sources, “We’re convinced Venus is deceased.”

Douglas will be back in court on June 29 and the prelim is set for July 1st.

The search for Venus has been stepped up and authorities are hopeful she will be found.

http://www.examiner.com/x-46795-Missing-Persons-Examiner~y2010m6d25-Man-admits-to-impersonating-husband-of-missing-Venus-Stewart

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2010, 03:50:54 AM »

A decomposed body has been found in Hudson Township, apx. 85 miles East of Colon Twp.
http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=12471721

General area map US127/Hudson MI
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=US%20127%20Hudson%2C%20MI

Hop/Skip and Jump South to I-80 to head back to VA

Well, these say it is a 'skeleton' buried deep in the ground...huge difference between 'a body'  'a decomposed body' and 'a skeleton' Rolling Eyes I loathe the media...although, what would we do without them? Especially me...since I am the queen of copy and paste  Cool

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=12473453

Well...here is one we can rule out >
UPDATE: New details have been released on the human remains found earlier this week in Lenawee County. The Michigan State Police Forensics Lab has determined that the remains were from an individual who was buried at the location.

Crews also found shreds of wood and square nails, which indicate that person was buried in a casket, perhaps around the mid 1800's. The remains are now on their way to the Michigan State University anthropology unit for further evaluation.

I am just feeling sorry for you, Nut, having to talk to yourself and all....

This is so sad.  What a selfish and inhumane thing to do.  My prayers that these children will have somewhere to grow up that they are loved, nurtured, and supported.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2010, 07:11:23 PM »

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/07/alleged_accomplice_lays_out_mu.html
Alleged accomplice lays out murder plot: "It's done," witness says Douglas Stewart told of his wife's killing
July 2, 2010

Mark Bugnaski | Kalamazoo GazetteThe man who authorities have
identified as Doug Stewart's alleged accomplice in the abduction and killing of Stewart's estranged wife took the stand Thursday in St. Joseph County District Court. Richard Spencer, 20, of Bear, Del., testified during Stewart's preliminary examination that he and Stewart, 29, met in December 2008 while playing Xbox Live, a gaming system with online capabilities.

CENTREVILLE — Douglas Stewart drove to Michigan twice in April with plans to kill his estranged wife, according to Richard Spencer.

He changed his mind during the first trip when a police officer stopped him en route, Stewart’s alleged co-conspirator testified Thursday.

A little more than a week later, following Stewart’s second drive trip to Michigan, 32-year-old Venus Stewart was dead.

“He calls me and says, ‘Hey, it’s done,’” Spencer testified of the morning of April 26, the day police allege Venus Stewart was abducted from the front yard of her parents’ St. Joseph County home.

“He said he was able to get her into a headlock and that a drop of blood came from her nose, that it hit the concrete,” Spencer said.

After hearing testimony Thursday from Spencer and two other witnesses, a judge ordered Douglas Stewart to stand trial on charges of murder and conspiracy to commit first-degree premeditated murder.

Police allege the 29-year-old abducted and killed Venus Stewart, then disposed of her body, which has not been found. He faces up to life in prison on each count, if convicted, and is being held on $4 million cash/surety bond.

Also testifying at Thursday’s preliminary examination in St. Joseph County District Court were Venus Stewarts’ father, Larry McComb, and Michigan State Police Trooper Aaron Steensma, the first officer to respond to the McCombs’ residence April 26.
“Hi Doug. Murdered anyone lately?” McComb, when asked to point out Stewart, said from the witness stand. The comment drew a rebuke and threat of jail for contempt of court from Judge Jeff Middleton.

It was Spencer, as the key prosecution witness, who was on the stand for most of Thursday’s hearing.

Under questioning from St. Joseph County Prosecutor John McDonough, the 20-year-old college student from Bear, Del., testified that he and Stewart met in 2008 through Xbox Live, an online gaming service, and at times played military-themed games like “Call of Duty” and “Halo 3” for six to 10 hours a day.

The two developed a tight bond and Spencer said he considered Stewart his “best friend.” They spent “a couple thousand hours” talking, Spencer testified, including about the divorce Stewart was going through with his wife in Michigan.

Spencer said he and Stewart had less contact beginning in mid 2009 after Stewart told him he was getting back with his wife and moving to Virginia. But they started speaking again on a more consistent basis in February when Stewart contacted him on Xbox Live with a message that his wife had “all the sudden left and his kids were gone.”

“He believed that she ... planned this all out, that she just wanted to make him feel like they were getting back together and then take all the money and go back to Michigan,” Spencer testified.

Spencer said he drove from Delaware to Newport News, Va., to visit Stewart during the first week of April, when Stewart first mentioned plans to kill his estranged wife. Spencer said Steward asked him to be “his alibi” and “pretend to be me.”

“He told me he was ... planning this for awhile now, deciding when he was going to do this, that he was going to kill his wife,” Spencer testified.

Spencer said he initially declined to take part but changed his mind when, near the end of his stay in Virginia, Stewart was informed his wife was trying to get custody of their two daughters and that Children’s Protective Services investigators were looking into allegations he had molested one of the girls. Stewart had claimed that it was Venus Stewart who was abusive to their daughters, Spencer said.

“He was disgusted by it,” Spencer recounted. “... He was like, ‘This is why my wife is mentally hurting my kids and physically hurting my kids.’”

Once he agreed to help, Spencer said Stewart told him he knew the structure of the McCombs’ Driftwood Drive residence in Colon Township and had a “premade spot for Venus to bury her.”

The two met again April 15 in Bethesda, Md., where Stewart gave Spencer his credit card, keys to his apartment and vehicle, clothes and a paper that told Spencer when to do certain things, such as going to a Wendy’s restaurant to use Stewart’s credit card.

Spencer said the plan was foiled, though, when Stewart was pulled over by a police officer while on his way to Michigan, which would have provided a record of his whereabouts had he gone through then with his plan to kill his wife.

Spencer said he mailed Stewart’s items back to him but that the two met again April 25 in Bethesda, where Stewart again gave him the items and similar instructions to use his credit card, stay at his Newport News residence and make a payment on Stewart’s account at an attorney’s office.

Spencer testified that early on April 26, Stewart called and asked him to retrieve Venus Stewart’s cell phone number from his own cell phone. He said that later, Stewart told him he had called the McComb residence and pretended to be the mailman with a package for his wife.

Stewart said he confronted Venus Stewart after she walked out of her parents’ house and that she “screamed one time and tried to fight” before he put her in a headlock and abducted her, Spencer testified.

Spencer said Stewart called again a few minutes later and told him he had to pick a new place to bury his wife because “there were people around” the spot he had picked out.

In the following days, Spencer said he and Stewart communicated only through Xbox Live because Stewart feared his phone conversations were being recorded.

“I asked him before, ‘Was it all worth it?,” Spencer testified. “He said to protect his kids and give them a future, it was.”

Authorities have said they plan to charge Spencer for his alleged role. He was given immunity from having Thursday’s testimony used against him in subsequent hearings. His Michigan attorney, David Moore, told Middleton during Thursday’s hearing that an offer by McDonough’s office that isn’t yet official calls for Spencer to be charged with manslaughter and to serve a jail sentence.

Stewart, meanwhile, is scheduled to be arraigned July 19 in St. Joseph County Circuit Court on the murder and conspiracy charges.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2010, 08:43:58 AM »

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/07/alleged_accomplice_lays_out_mu.html
Alleged accomplice lays out murder plot: "It's done," witness says Douglas Stewart told of his wife's killing
July 2, 2010

Mark Bugnaski | Kalamazoo GazetteThe man who authorities have
identified as Doug Stewart's alleged accomplice in the abduction and killing of Stewart's estranged wife took the stand Thursday in St. Joseph County District Court. Richard Spencer, 20, of Bear, Del., testified during Stewart's preliminary examination that he and Stewart, 29, met in December 2008 while playing Xbox Live, a gaming system with online capabilities.

CENTREVILLE — Douglas Stewart drove to Michigan twice in April with plans to kill his estranged wife, according to Richard Spencer.

He changed his mind during the first trip when a police officer stopped him en route, Stewart’s alleged co-conspirator testified Thursday.

A little more than a week later, following Stewart’s second drive trip to Michigan, 32-year-old Venus Stewart was dead.

“He calls me and says, ‘Hey, it’s done,’” Spencer testified of the morning of April 26, the day police allege Venus Stewart was abducted from the front yard of her parents’ St. Joseph County home.

“He said he was able to get her into a headlock and that a drop of blood came from her nose, that it hit the concrete,” Spencer said.

After hearing testimony Thursday from Spencer and two other witnesses, a judge ordered Douglas Stewart to stand trial on charges of murder and conspiracy to commit first-degree premeditated murder.

Police allege the 29-year-old abducted and killed Venus Stewart, then disposed of her body, which has not been found. He faces up to life in prison on each count, if convicted, and is being held on $4 million cash/surety bond.

Also testifying at Thursday’s preliminary examination in St. Joseph County District Court were Venus Stewarts’ father, Larry McComb, and Michigan State Police Trooper Aaron Steensma, the first officer to respond to the McCombs’ residence April 26.
“Hi Doug. Murdered anyone lately?” McComb, when asked to point out Stewart, said from the witness stand. The comment drew a rebuke and threat of jail for contempt of court from Judge Jeff Middleton.

It was Spencer, as the key prosecution witness, who was on the stand for most of Thursday’s hearing.

Under questioning from St. Joseph County Prosecutor John McDonough, the 20-year-old college student from Bear, Del., testified that he and Stewart met in 2008 through Xbox Live, an online gaming service, and at times played military-themed games like “Call of Duty” and “Halo 3” for six to 10 hours a day.

The two developed a tight bond and Spencer said he considered Stewart his “best friend.” They spent “a couple thousand hours” talking, Spencer testified, including about the divorce Stewart was going through with his wife in Michigan.

Spencer said he and Stewart had less contact beginning in mid 2009 after Stewart told him he was getting back with his wife and moving to Virginia. But they started speaking again on a more consistent basis in February when Stewart contacted him on Xbox Live with a message that his wife had “all the sudden left and his kids were gone.”

“He believed that she ... planned this all out, that she just wanted to make him feel like they were getting back together and then take all the money and go back to Michigan,” Spencer testified.

Spencer said he drove from Delaware to Newport News, Va., to visit Stewart during the first week of April, when Stewart first mentioned plans to kill his estranged wife. Spencer said Steward asked him to be “his alibi” and “pretend to be me.”

“He told me he was ... planning this for awhile now, deciding when he was going to do this, that he was going to kill his wife,” Spencer testified.

Spencer said he initially declined to take part but changed his mind when, near the end of his stay in Virginia, Stewart was informed his wife was trying to get custody of their two daughters and that Children’s Protective Services investigators were looking into allegations he had molested one of the girls. Stewart had claimed that it was Venus Stewart who was abusive to their daughters, Spencer said.

“He was disgusted by it,” Spencer recounted. “... He was like, ‘This is why my wife is mentally hurting my kids and physically hurting my kids.’”

Once he agreed to help, Spencer said Stewart told him he knew the structure of the McCombs’ Driftwood Drive residence in Colon Township and had a “premade spot for Venus to bury her.”

The two met again April 15 in Bethesda, Md., where Stewart gave Spencer his credit card, keys to his apartment and vehicle, clothes and a paper that told Spencer when to do certain things, such as going to a Wendy’s restaurant to use Stewart’s credit card.

Spencer said the plan was foiled, though, when Stewart was pulled over by a police officer while on his way to Michigan, which would have provided a record of his whereabouts had he gone through then with his plan to kill his wife.

Spencer said he mailed Stewart’s items back to him but that the two met again April 25 in Bethesda, where Stewart again gave him the items and similar instructions to use his credit card, stay at his Newport News residence and make a payment on Stewart’s account at an attorney’s office.

Spencer testified that early on April 26, Stewart called and asked him to retrieve Venus Stewart’s cell phone number from his own cell phone. He said that later, Stewart told him he had called the McComb residence and pretended to be the mailman with a package for his wife.

Stewart said he confronted Venus Stewart after she walked out of her parents’ house and that she “screamed one time and tried to fight” before he put her in a headlock and abducted her, Spencer testified.

Spencer said Stewart called again a few minutes later and told him he had to pick a new place to bury his wife because “there were people around” the spot he had picked out.

In the following days, Spencer said he and Stewart communicated only through Xbox Live because Stewart feared his phone conversations were being recorded.

“I asked him before, ‘Was it all worth it?,” Spencer testified. “He said to protect his kids and give them a future, it was.”

Authorities have said they plan to charge Spencer for his alleged role. He was given immunity from having Thursday’s testimony used against him in subsequent hearings. His Michigan attorney, David Moore, told Middleton during Thursday’s hearing that an offer by McDonough’s office that isn’t yet official calls for Spencer to be charged with manslaughter and to serve a jail sentence.

Stewart, meanwhile, is scheduled to be arraigned July 19 in St. Joseph County Circuit Court on the murder and conspiracy charges.

Why Venus walked to the mailbox?  To retrieve a package (set-up) by Doug?  wow, cold-blooded. He won't get-off-premediated. July 19 next court date for D.S.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2010, 04:09:20 PM »

July 16, 2010 3:25 PM
Venus Stewart Update: Police Search Near In-Laws' Property for Missing Woman

ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Mich. (CBS/WWMT) About 30 police officers walked for miles looking for Venus Stewart, the Michigan mother who has been missing since April and is presumed dead, but they found no sign of the woman.

The search for Venus picked up again on Thursday as investigators searched an area south of Doug Stewart's parents' home.

The area behind Doug Stewart's family property is 180 acres, most of it farm fields, but about 70 acres of that area is thick brush.

"It's so thick right now we could go over the grave site and not know it," Michigan State Trooper Felix Ambris told CBS affiliate WWMT.

Ambris was overseeing Thursday's search, which included officers from the state police, local city police, and the FBI.

Some of the areas hit during Thursday's search have been gone over before, but investigators wanted to make sure that nothing was missed.

Finding Venus' body is important to police and the family, but they believe the case against Doug Stewart is solid even without it. They say there's another reason they are out searching.

"It's more important for the family," said Det. Ambris to WWMT. "That's why we are going to do anything we can to ding it, find the body for them."

Police say they will continue looking, but have not specified where or when.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20010761-504083.html

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #153 on: July 20, 2010, 09:34:19 PM »

July 16, 2010 3:25 PM
Venus Stewart Update: Police Search Near In-Laws' Property for Missing Woman

ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Mich. (CBS/WWMT) About 30 police officers walked for miles looking for Venus Stewart, the Michigan mother who has been missing since April and is presumed dead, but they found no sign of the woman.

The search for Venus picked up again on Thursday as investigators searched an area south of Doug Stewart's parents' home.

The area behind Doug Stewart's family property is 180 acres, most of it farm fields, but about 70 acres of that area is thick brush.

"It's so thick right now we could go over the grave site and not know it," Michigan State Trooper Felix Ambris told CBS affiliate WWMT.

Ambris was overseeing Thursday's search, which included officers from the state police, local city police, and the FBI.

Some of the areas hit during Thursday's search have been gone over before, but investigators wanted to make sure that nothing was missed.

Finding Venus' body is important to police and the family, but they believe the case against Doug Stewart is solid even without it. They say there's another reason they are out searching.

"It's more important for the family," said Det. Ambris to WWMT. "That's why we are going to do anything we can to ding it, find the body for them."

Police say they will continue looking, but have not specified where or when.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20010761-504083.html

Solid as a rock!!!
The poor children and all the loved ones of Venus.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2010, 12:43:50 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crime-Examiner~y2010m7d20-Venus-Stewart-update-Husband-pleads-not-guilty-to-killing-wife-will-stand-trial-in-November
Venus Stewart update: Husband pleads not guilty to killing wife, will stand trial in November
July 20, 2010

Venus Stewart update: Husband pleads not guilty to killing wife, will stand trial in November

Douglas Stewart, the estranged husband of missing Michigan woman Venus Stewart, entered a not guilty plea on Monday regarding the murder of his wife.

Although Venus’ body has not been recovered, authorities believe she is dead.

Stewart, 29, was charged in early July with murder and conspiracy to commit first-degree premeditated murder in connection with his estranged wife.

Venus, 32, disappeared outside her parents' home in Colon Township on April 26. Police believe she was kidnapped wearing her pajamas as she walked to the mailbox at the end of her parents' driveway early in the morning.
To see photos of Venus, click here.

Although Stewart initially provided verifiable information regarding his whereabouts on the morning Venus vanished, another man, Richard Spencer, told authorities he gave Stewart his alibi by impersonating him. Spencer claims he conspired with Stewart so he could kill his wife.

Stewart remains behind bars in the county jail on a $4 million bond. If convicted of the charges, Stewart could receive up to two life sentences for each count. Jury selection for his November 1 trial is slated to begin October 29.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #155 on: August 01, 2010, 04:01:10 PM »

Typical.....not guilty plea Rolling Eyes Effin loser.... I hope they find her body before trial, if not, the evidence will convict him anyway 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2010, 09:01:20 PM »

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/08/police_conduct_search_for_body.html
Police conduct search for body of Venus Stewart near Kalamazoo County-St. Joseph County line
August 5, 2010

LEONIDAS TOWNSHIP — Police are searching an area along the Kalamazoo County-St. Joseph County line for the body of

Stewart, a 32-year-old mother of two, has been missing since April 26 and Michigan State Police investigators have said they are convinced she is dead.

Her estranged husband, Douglas Stewart, 29, has been charged with open murder and conspiracy to commit first-degree premediated murder in connection with Venus Stewart’s death.

Doug Stewart, who is being held in the St. Joseph County Jail on $4 million bond, is scheduled to stand trial Nov. 1 in St. Joseph County Circuit Court.

State police have conducted previous searches for Venus Stewart that have proven unsuccessful.
Lt. John Slenk said the area troopers were searching Thursday was just north of Doug Stewart’s parents’ Fulton Road home in Leonidas Township.

Slenk said the area is one familiar to Doug Stewart and an area where he used to hunt for deer.

Thursday’s search began at about 8:30 a.m. As of 3 p.m., police had yet to locate anything, the lieutenant said.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2010, 07:11:58 PM »

http://www.sturgisjournal.com/community/colon/x1110534223/Body-not-recovered-but-police-pinpoint-areas-for-further-examination
Body not recovered, but police pinpoint areas for further examination
August 6, 2010

Corky Emrick/Journal
Police begin their search for Venus Stewart Thursday morning in a swamp in Leonidas Township. The area is near the border between Kalamazoo and St. Joseph counties.

Leonidas, Twp. —

About 54 police personnel gathered Thursday morning at the Colon Fire Department to begin another search for Venus Stewart.
Stewart, who is presumed dead, has been missing since April 26. She was last seen outside her parents’ home on Driftwood Drive in Colon Township. Her 33rd birthday was Wednesday.
Douglas Stewart, her estranged husband, has been formally charged with one count of open murder and one count of conspiracy to commit first-degree murder.
His trial is set to begin Oct. 29.
On Thursday, police searched about 160 acres in an area known as Black Snake swamp.
Her body was not found, but officials said late Thursday that several places of interest were marked and will be examined much more closely.
Land owners told police that Douglas Stewart had hunted parts of the land.
His tree stand still remains in part of the heavily wooded area.
“We felt we had to cover this area,” State Police Lt. Mike Risko said. “He  was very familiar with this area.”
The land, which borders Kalamazoo County at 40th Street and Z Avenue and Rosenbaugh Road in
St. Joseph County, is about one mile from the home of Doug Stewart’s parents.
The 160 acres were sectioned off into three parcels.
Along with several divisions of the Michigan State Police, officers from Sturgis, Three Rivers, St. Joseph County Sheriff’s Department, St. Joseph County Victims Services and the St. Joseph County Prosecutor’s office took part.
Also assisting were seven K-9s and a cadaver K-9.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2010, 06:29:47 PM »

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/search-1380156-continues-stewart.html
(with video)
Search continues for Venus Stewart
August 12, 2010

ST. JOSEPH COUNTY, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – The search for a missing West Michigan mother resumed on Thursday.

Venus Stewart disappeared from her parents' home in Colon Township in late April. Her husband, Doug Stewart, is charged with killing her, even though investigators have not found Venus' body.

Thursday saw the third large-scale search since Doug Stewart was arrested, and once again searchers faced thick brush and humid weather. They marched across miles and miles of woods, tall grass and heavy underbrush, police were using machetes to cut their way from one road to the other.

“We're out trying,” said Det. Mike Scott, Michigan State Police, “that's the main thing, we are trying.”

Searchers aren't certain that Venus' body is even in the area, but the evidence suggests she's not far from her parents' home where police believe Doug abducted her.

Searchers were looking for anything out of place, hoping that if there is evidence in the area, it hasn't been hidden by all the growth.

“Back in late April, when Venus went missing, it wouldn't have been as thick,” said Det. Scott.

On Thursday searchers did find a few suspicious spots that have been flagged for a second look. While bone fragments likely belong to animals, photos of them will be sent to the state police lab for confirmation. A firearm was also found not far from the edge of a road.

Investigators are primarily looking for clothing, digging tools or a tarp. The alleged accomplice of Doug Stewart told police that Stewart had dug out a spot he planned to bury Venus in, but according to the witness it was discovered by someone before the murder.

“That's one of the other things we are looking for, not just a grave site, but a pre-dug hole,” said Det. Scott.

Detectives admit Venus could be anywhere between St. Joseph County and Virginia, but say evidence has kept them close to the area Venus disappeared from.

“Based on information, we tend to believe we are in the right area,” said Det. Scott, “but you are right, we don't know where she is.”

Newschannel 3 spoke to Venus' father, Larry McComb, on the phone Thursday. He said he's worried that unless Doug tells police where the body is, Venus might never be found.

McComb says he's even gone to some areas himself in search of his daughter, but admits it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. He also said that while he thought the pain over losing his daughter might start to ease, it's only been getting worse.

Police say they'd like to find the body before Doug Stewart's trial starts in November, but closure for the family is another important reason they keep heading out into the woods.

“Like I said, we'll never quit looking,” said Det. Scott. “If we get a good lead where she might be, we'll be looking.”

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2010, 06:31:26 PM »

http://www.wtvbam.com/news/articles/2010/aug/13/another-search-venus-unsuccessful/
Another Search For Venus Unsuccessful
August 13, 2010
COLON (WTVB) - Once again State Police initiated a large scale search for the body of Venus Stewart and once again they came up empty. Yesterday, they found bones, which they suspect belonged to an animal. They even found a gun abandoned along a rural roadway in St. Joseph County, but they didn’t find any trace of the Bronson high school graduate.

They found a few spots that may need further investigation, and they have eliminated a lot of other locations. Her estranged husband Doug Stewart remains jailed on four million dollars bond, scheduled to go on trial later this fall whether they find her body or not.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.