March 29, 2024, 12:12:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethan Stacy, 4yr old, found dead  (Read 83063 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2010, 05:55:29 PM »

Mother of Slain Utah Boy May Face Murder Charge 
Updated: 18 minutes ago

FARMINGTON, Utah (May 14) - Prosecutors in Utah said Friday they may file murder charges against the mother of a 4-year-old boy whose body was found in a canyon earlier this week.

Searchers dug up Ethan Stacy's badly beaten and disfigured body Tuesday, about 10 days after he arrived in Utah for a summer visit with his mother, Stephanie Sloop, 27.

Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings said Sloop and her husband, 31, will likely be charged with aggravated murder in the boy's death. Before Friday, the possibility of murder charges had only been discussed for Nathanael Sloop.

"We're looking at aggravated murder - both defendants are suspects at this point," Rawlings said.

Police said Stephanie Sloop initially told officers her son had wandered away from her Layton apartment.

But probable cause statements said Nathanael Sloop acknowledged beating the boy for days before his death on Sunday and Stephanie Sloop did nothing to stop it. After the boy died, Nathanael Stoop used a hammer to disfigure the boy's face and teeth to keep him from being identified, then buried the body in a canyon, according to the documents.

The Sloops may also be charged with felony child abuse, obstruction of justice and desecration of a corpse, Rawlings said.

At a court hearing Friday, both separately agreed to waive their right to be bailed out of jail until at least their next court appearance on May 28.

Nathanael Sloop kept his head low and wept softly during his court appearance. Stephanie Sloop appeared withdrawn and showed no visible emotion during the twin hearings that together lasted less than 15 minutes.

Earlier, Nathanael Sloop's court-appointed attorney, Todd Utzinger, would not discuss specifics of the case or possible charges. He said he met with both Sloops Friday morning at the Davis County Jail and advised them to stop talking to detectives.

Attorney Julie George, who was appointed to represent Stephanie Sloop, said her client "is very emotional and having a difficult time."

Prosecutors are waiting to file charges because there is the potential for the death penalty.

"We're not going to file charges before all of our ducks are in a row and we're ready to go, but we intend to get there," Rawlings said.

The 2nd District Court hearing in Farmington drew about two dozen members of the advocacy group Bikers Against Child Abuse and many other people unconnected to the case.

"That boy didn't get mercy. They shouldn't get mercy," said August Teuscher, 32, a mother of four from Clinton, who stood in the courthouse holding a hand-drawn sign condemning the Sloops. "They should be tortured."

Public defenders for the Sloops said the couple had received hundreds of requests for visits from reporters and strangers while in jail. Judge David M. Connors signed an order prohibiting anyone from trying to visit the Sloops.

Utah State Courts records show that between 2000 and 2003, Nathanael Sloop had several convictions, including for criminal mischief, disorderly conduct and drug possession. No criminal history was found for Stephanie Sloop.

Ethan's biological father, Joe G. Stacy of Tazewell, Va., agreed to share custody of the boy on April 28 so he would spend the school year with his father and summers with his mother.
http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/stephanie-sloop-mother-of-slain-utah-boy-may-face-murder-charge/19478289

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
darla
Monkey Junky

In Honor of my son Lt. Brandon W. Rollins LCSO.

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2010, 07:56:31 PM »

Good Evening Monkeys

Little Ethan's death should call for the death penalty for both of the pos.Then dig them up and fry again The egg donor is just as guilty as the husband. That sweet little face played over and over in my mind all night long last night. God Bless his sweet little soul.

You will never know that Faith in prayer is all you need,
until it is all you have left!
God Bless!
N2WISHN
Monkey Junky

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2010, 08:09:30 PM »

Good Evening Monkeys

Little Ethan's death should call for the death penalty for both of the pos.Then dig them up and fry again The egg donor is just as guilty as the husband. That sweet little face played over and over in my mind all night long last night. God Bless his sweet little soul.

Rest in peace little Ethan. Your time on this earth was one that endured more pain than any child should have to know, especially from your own mother. Tortured day after day until your little life was ended and then your small body disfigured even more as an added insult. Safe from the anonymous boogeyman of this world only to be sacrificed by mommy. Murders like this make crimes by strangers look mild in comparison. I will never get over the shock of these types of crimes against children. What hope does this world have when parents do these kinds of evil deeds?
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2010, 08:22:47 PM »

Good Evening Monkeys

Rest in peace little Ethan. Your time on this earth was one that endured more pain than any child should have to know, especially from your own mother. Tortured day after day until your little life was ended and then your small body disfigured even more as an added insult. Safe from the anonymous boogeyman of this world only to be sacrificed by mommy. Murders like this make crimes by strangers look mild in comparison. I will never get over the shock of these types of crimes against children. What hope does this world have when parents do these kinds of evil deeds?

well said N2

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2010, 01:44:30 PM »

Ethan Stacy update: Not enough evidence to charge mom and stepdad with murder, according to DA
May 15, 1:08 PM
On Friday, Ethan Stacy’s mother Stephanie Sloop, and stepfather Nathan Sloop appeared in court in handcuffs and shackles. According to the district attorney, there is not yet enough evidence to charge the Utah couple with murder.

Ethan’s body was found Tuesday evening in Ogden Canyon near Powder Mountain wrapped in plastic. According to official documents released by the Davis County Sheriff’s Office, the 4-year-old’s face and teeth were disfigured by his stepfather with a hammer to delay identification of his body.

In addition, the documents indicate that Ethan was abused and tortured prior to his death.

On May 5, Nathan took Ethan into a bedroom, and slapped and beat him about the head and face. His mother entered the room and noticed his face was swelling, but did not seek medical attention for the boy.

To see photos regarding the case, click here.

The next day, the couple locked Ethan in a bedroom, leaving him alone so they could wed at the courthouse. Stephanie noted they did not bring the boy with them to avoid being questioned about his obvious injuries.

Stephanie said that over the next few days, Ethan was lethargic, would not eat, had a fever, and was vomiting. The couple made him drink water, orange juice, and Kool-Aid and gave him Motrin and Benadryl to reduce swelling.

After returning home from a shopping trip on Friday, Stephanie found the boy was burned on his legs and feet from a scalding bath. Reports also indicate she believed Ethan had feces in his mouth. Nathan claimed the burns were an accident, but she claims she didn’t believe him -- yet she didn’t seek help for Ethan for fear Nathan would hurt her.

Around 3 a.m. on Sunday -- Mother‘s Day-- she checked on Ethan, then left for the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for Nathan. When she returned around 5:30 a.m., her husband informed her that Ethan was dead.

She did not call authorities because Nathan feared going to prison because of bruises on Ethan’s body. Instead, the couple disfigured Ethan and disposed of his body.

Davis County District Attorney Troy Rawlings announced that prosecutors need additional evidence prior to filing charges in the case, including Ethan’s cause of death from the coroner.

“Make no mistake, we plan to file charges,” said Rawlings. “We don’t want to make any mistakes in our charging decision.” He also noted that if his office is unable to obtain the evidence needed for charges of aggravated murder, prosecutors will seek lesser charges.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crime-Examiner~y2010m5d15-Ethan-Stacy-update-Not-enough-evidence-to-charge-mom-and-stepdad-with-murder-according-to-DA

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2010, 03:03:47 PM »

It does not happen often but Tamikosmom is at a loss for words.

Janet

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Love2Read
Scared Monkey

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2010, 04:44:52 PM »

OMG, what is wrong with these people??
May both of these creatures rot in hell.

May Zahra's Spirit shine forever.

Justice for Zahra.
Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2010, 10:55:26 PM »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700032397/Prosecutors-Not-enough-evidence-for-murder-charges-in-Ethan-Stacy-case-yet.html?pg=1

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2010, 11:09:29 PM »

Gizzie, thank goodness the headline is a little misleading.  Until the autopsy is complete, they will wait to file charges.  I remain so angry and will be glad to be able to move past my anger to thoughts more constructive . . . it may take  while.

Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2010, 11:53:22 PM »

Gizzie, thank goodness the headline is a little misleading.  Until the autopsy is complete, they will wait to file charges.  I remain so angry and will be glad to be able to move past my anger to thoughts more constructive . . . it may take  while.

Sister, I agree. I know Nut posted almost the same article a few posts up but I wanted to link back to the pictures. I wish they hadn't titled it this way.

This is just such a sad story and these monsters need to be punished!

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2010, 11:28:13 AM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:40:40 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2010, 11:31:33 AM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:41:48 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700032192/Ex-spouses-feared-couple-accused-in-Ethan-Stacys-death.html
History of abuse emerges in Ethan Stacy case
Former spouses call Sloops unstable, feared for children
May 14, 2010

Mike Williams adds a toy truck to pile of toys and gifts at a memorial for Ethan Stacy at an apartment complex in Layton Thursday.

LAYTON — Divorce documents and protective orders from the newlywed Layton couple accused in the death of 4-year-old Ethan Stacy show a disturbing history of abuse and fear.

Both of the former spouses of Nathan and Stephanie Sloop were also fearful for the safety of their children because of the unstable behavior of their exes.

The biological father of Ethan Stacy described his ex-wife, Stephanie Sloop, as "unstable" and said he feared she would take their son and he'd never see him again.

The former wife of Nathan Sloop described him as mentally unstable, violent and having multiple personalities — including one personality who becomes extremely angry when criticized. She said she feared for her life and for her daughter's life.

The documents include transcripts of profanity-laced tirades that Nathan Sloop — who prosecutors plan to charge today with the murder of his stepson — left in a series of voice mail messages for his former wife, Jennifer Freeman, one day in September.
"I only wish now that I could (expletive) take you out of (their daughter's) life. I am going to do every (expletive) thing possible within my power to take you the (expletive) out of her life (expletive). I don't give a (expletive) if I gotta spend the rest of my (expletive) life in prison. (Expletive) you. I'm coming after your (expletive) throat," he said in one voice mail message.

In another, Nathan Sloop threatened to kill Freeman's boyfriend, "Mike," and then added, "You'll be next in line," according to the transcripts.

Nathan Sloop left five voice mail messages in less than 20 minutes and six within 90 minutes, according to the court documents.

"He hugs my (expletive) daughter, he comes near my (expletive) daughter, he is (expletive) done. Over," one message said.

Nathan Sloop and Freeman had one daughter together. She turns 6 later this month. The daughter, who was born in Utah when the couple lived in Roy, now lives in Florida, where Freeman moved after her divorce.

In November, Freeman asked the court to ban Nathan Sloop from having any electronic contact with her.

"I am deathly afraid (Nathan Sloop) will harm me or my family," Freeman wrote in court documents.

As recently as March, Freeman sought to have a permanent restraining order against him. The couple's divorce was finalized in August 2008.

"The wife has been the victim of domestic violence," her attorneys wrote in court documents. "The husband has a felony criminal history for drug-related criminal activity and has for years been diagnosed and treated for multiple personality disorders."
In court documents, Freeman describes Nathan Sloop as having a "history of instability and mental illness," including being diagnosed with multiple personality disorder. His other personalities go by the names "Ghost" and "New York," she wrote. "Ghost," she wrote, "becomes enraged at any perceived slight or criticism."

Freeman feared Sloop would hurt their daughter as a way to get back at her.

Similarly, Joe Stacy feared his ex-wife Stephanie Sloop would use their son Ethan to get back at him.

Joe Stacy filed for divorce from Stephanie Stacy, as she was then known, in October, according to records from the Florida court. Both were required to undergo parenting classes, which is required under Florida law for divorcing parents with minor children. The Uniform Child Custody Act was also invoked, which deals with children of divorced parents who live in different states.

In November, Joe Stacy filed an emergency motion for custody.

"The mother is unstable, and I'm afraid she will come to Florida and take him," he wrote in his motion.

Joe Stacy was particularly concerned about sending Ethan to Utah with the boy's mother for the summer, as the terms of his divorce required. He spelled out his concerns in court documents filed six months before Ethan left for Utah.
"The mother has abandoned the child, and I'm afraid the mother will come and take him and I'll never see him again," Joe Stacy, who then lived in Apopka, Fla., wrote in the November 2009 custody petition filed in the Circuit Court of the 9th Judicial Court of Orange County, Fla.

Judge Maura T. Smith handled the Stacys' divorce. She told the Deseret News Thursday, however, that the couple had already reached a marital agreement settlement on their own, which was signed in front of a mediator, by the time the divorce was finalized in her courtroom.

The divorce was uncontested by both parties, she said. During a brief 10-minute hearing to finalize the divorce, she said only Joe Stacy was present.

Because the case was still active, meaning the court has jurisdiction over the divorce to make sure all stipulations were being met, the judge said she could not talk about specific details regarding the case. She said she heard the news about Ethan's death but could not comment on the matter.

She noted that the Orange County courthouse sees hundreds of cases similar to the Stacys' divorce every few days.

In their marital settlement agreement, the court prohibited Ethan's maternal grandmother and her husband from having any contacting with Ethan, Stephanie or Joe Stacy, but the documents did not indicate why.

The agreement was signed Feb. 3, 2010.

Despite the repeated warnings, Ethan was sent to Utah and was killed less than two weeks later, and his body buried in a remote area near Powder Mountain.
Police say that while interviewing Stephanie Sloop — who initially called police Monday to say Ethan had wandered away from home and was missing — they noticed photos of Ethan on her cell phone that "showed a progression of injuries." In a photo with a time stamp of May 4, "Ethan has a large and very noticeable area of swelling to the jaw and face," detectives wrote in a probable cause affidavit when jailing the couple.

In subsequent interviews, the couple told police the injuries were caused by Nathan Sloop "in a systematic and progressively more violent pattern of abuse toward Ethan."

Police say the boy continued to be abused, yet the Sloops did not seek medical attention despite serious signs of illness. Ethan was discovered dead in his bed on May 9, the affidavit states, and the Sloops say they put his body in a plastic bin and buried him.

Nathan Sloop was booked Tuesday into the Davis County Jail for investigation of aggravated murder. He and Stephanie Sloop were both booked for investigation of child abuse, obstruction of justice and desecration of a corpse.

The Sloops' alleged crime has shocked the nation.

At the Sloops' Layton apartment Thursday, the sunny spring day did little to lighten the mood.

A steady stream of friends, neighbors and strangers continued to visit the site Thursday as a small makeshift memorial to Ethan continued to grow.

The pile of gifts included stuffed animals, flowers, candles, balloons and even a Happy Meal signed by the "Layton McDonalds staff."
Many messages bore the telltale signatures and pictures of neighborhood children.

"I'm sorry your (sic) gone," read one message, scrawled in a child's handwriting.

Other letters and cards offered messages of hope.

"God is watching and waiting. … You'll know you're in a much better place," read another letter addressed to Ethan.

A Facebook page called "In Remembrance of Ethan Stacy" had more than 6,000 fans just two days after its creation on Tuesday. Two other Facebook pages, "In Memory of Ethan Stacy" and "Justice for Ethan Stacy," have also been created.

As prosecutors prepared Thursday for a Friday news conference, at which time official charges were expected to be announced, Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings said his office had received numerous calls from members of the public.

His staff was sorting through an extensive amount of evidence, and he promised, "We will seek the maximum penalty allowed by law for the crimes we can prove."

The Sloops are expected to make an initial appearance in 2nd District Court at 1 p.m. Friday.

In other court documents obtained by the Deseret News Thursday, Joe Stacy filed for a protective order in 2007 against another spouse, Michelle Rodriguez, whom he also feared would take his children and flee to London while he was away on military duty.

Joe Stacy claimed in court documents that Rodriguez pulled a knife on him, slapped their kids, left them alone in a room while she went to a bar and then brought men back to the apartment to have sexual relations while the children were still there.

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2010, 02:36:36 PM »

Can someone please explain to me why and how this man was out on the streets and not in a mental health facility or at the very, very least being heavily monitored by social services? What on earth is a man with MPD who has violent and threatening behaviors doing out in society and among children?
That judge in FL she shouldn't be allowed to say she cannot comment, she needs to comment and face the poor decision she made and why she should still be awarded the robe she is wearing. To send a child to another state for 3 months with a person he hardly knows is negligent at best. Kids don't want to leave their homes to visit parents out of state for months on end, they don't want to do that! Not at 4 years old anyway. This practice needs to stop.
Ethans death could have been avoided by once again our laws protecting us and our children from violent people. This child suffered a horrific death, no reason on earth could explain why. 
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »

Can someone please explain to me why and how this man was out on the streets and not in a mental health facility or at the very, very least being heavily monitored by social services? What on earth is a man with MPD who has violent and threatening behaviors doing out in society and among children?
That judge in FL she shouldn't be allowed to say she cannot comment, she needs to comment and face the poor decision she made and why she should still be awarded the robe she is wearing. To send a child to another state for 3 months with a person he hardly knows is negligent at best. Kids don't want to leave their homes to visit parents out of state for months on end, they don't want to do that! Not at 4 years old anyway. This practice needs to stop.
Ethans death could have been avoided by once again our laws protecting us and our children from violent people. This child suffered a horrific death, no reason on earth could explain why. 

you are right..this does need to stop..the out of state parent should have to travel to the child and stay where the child lives imo...why should little children be uprooted from the home and family and friends and everything familiar around them because it is more convenient for the parent???
 Ethan's death should have never happened! innocent little child who had no say in where he had to go...poor little man

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2010, 09:36:20 PM »

You know cookie the judge said it was decided in mediation. Well I have been through mediation and it is a crime in itself. There are the 2 parties with lawyers if there are any and the mediator. All the time the mediator is telling the parents the worse case senario such as if you can't decide the judge will decide for you and it could be blah, blah, blah...it is just short of blackmail! You are forced to compromise! However, the judge still signs and she/he must read the file. In this fathers file he stated some pretty strong things, the judge had a responsibility to look into this further and order evaluations for mental states. NOt every parent is just trying to get back at the other. Sometimes they are just trying to protect their child. Geez if this case doesn't prove that then nothing will!
LynneinMd.
Scared Monkey

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2010, 10:03:30 AM »

He "cried" and she was"visibly emotional"????????
Give me a break.  Rot in hell both of you.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2010, 10:31:32 AM »

He "cried" and she was"visibly emotional"????????
Give me a break.  Rot in hell both of you.

agreed! he was crying for himself and she was NOT visibly emotional that I personally saw! what a bunch of bs!  Ethan probably cried the hardest when he was beat up and left to die all by himself! poor little one..

these 2 didn't cry for him then, they aren't crying for him now..

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2010, 01:32:24 PM »

Prosecutors hope to use Shelby’s law to ask for death penalty in Ethan Stacy’s case (video, photos) 
May 18, 10:38 AM

Shelby’s Law may be used in Ethan Stacy’s death case in order for prosecutors to seek the death penalty, in which child abuse that leads to a death could become a capital case, according to Fox News 13 in Salt Lake City.

As part of 4-year-old Ethan Stacy’s death investigation, the FBI is investigating a cell phone that has abused pictures of a little boy. The medical examiner continues to take tissue samples from Ethan Stacy’s body. Files are expected to be filed by May 28.

In 2006, 10-year-old Shelby Andrews was abused by her father and stepmother and died in their home. Prosecutors were able to get a murder conviction, but frustrated that they could not seek the death penalty in the case, and Shelby’s Law was created so that the death penalty could be sought in a child abuse case that led to a death in Utah. This would be the first case that prosecutors would be able to use Shelby’s Law.

Kim Hale, Shelby's mother said she was tortured. The Fox News 13 interview with Hale can be seen below.

"What could a 4-year-old, or even a 10-year-old, do to deserve anything like this?" Hale said Monday.

"We knew that Shelby was put on this earth for a purpose," Kim Hale said. "We just didn't realize that her death was going to be the purpose for everything."

Funeral services for Ethan Stacy are set for Wednesday.  For more information, click here.

4-year-old Ethan Stacy’s body was found last week after his mother and stepfather confessed that the body was found about 40 miles from Salt Lake City, Utah near the Powder Mountain ski resort. Ethan was severely abused for four days before he died.

http://www.examiner.com/x-19632-Salt-Lake-City-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m5d18-Prosecutors-hope-to-use-Shelbys-law-to-ask-for-death-penalty-in-Ethan-Stacys-case-video-photos

AmandaReckonwith
Scared Monkey

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2010, 06:23:10 PM »

Case archive album started for Ethan Stacy:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Ethan%20Stacy/

Saved pictures and vids from lots of cases:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.