March 28, 2024, 05:09:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethan Stacy, 4yr old, found dead  (Read 83055 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2010, 03:27:48 PM »

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10951084

Sloops formally charged with aggravated murder
May 28th, 2010 @ 11:13am

FARMINGTON -- The Davis County Attorney's Office has formally filed aggravated murder charges against Nathan and Stephanie Sloop in the death of 4-year-old Ethan Stacy.

Ethan's mother and stepfather have also been charged with second-degree felony child abuse, obstruction of justice and abuse or desecration of a body.

Charging documents reveal both Sloops abused Ethan for days, inflicting serious injuries. The documents state that abuse included "beatings, burning, drugging, isolating, malnourishing, leaving the child alone and unattended while suffering and refusing to seek vital life-sustaining medical attention."

Prosecutors claim it was that abuse that ultimately led to Ethan's death.

Nathan Sloop faces an additional charge stemming from damage done to a jail cell during his incarceration.

If convicted of the aggravated murder charges, the Sloops could face the death penalty or life in prison without parole.

The Sloops are scheduled to appear in court in Farmington Friday afternoon to hear the charges against them.

It took nearly 2 weeks for prosecutors to get the returns they were seeking from the medical examiner, after Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings said May 14 he would "file the most serious charges and seek the maximum penalties."

Prosecutors are looking into the possibility of asking for the death penalty for Ethan Stacy's death under Shelby's Law. Passed in 2007, it makes child abuse deaths involving reckless indifference a capital offense.

However, the county attorney's office did not on Friday announce whether it will seek the death penalty in the case against either of the Sloops and said it will take up to 60 days allowed by law to decide.

Ethan's body was uncovered May 11 near Powder Mountain after Layton police say the Sloops reported him missing the night before. He had just been in Utah for 10 days with his mom, who had summer visitation.

Ethan's body was returned to his father, Joe Stacy, and buried last week in Virgina.
Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2010, 08:45:06 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:45:57 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2010, 11:51:45 PM »

Another May 28th article:
http://www.fox13now.com/news/ethanstacy/kstu-sloops-charged-with-aggravated-murder-in-death-of-ethan-stacy,0,3353492.story

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2010, 08:47:30 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/x-19632-Salt-Lake-City-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m6d4-Court-has-difficult-time-finding-attorneys-for-Sloops-in-Ethan-Stacy-death-penalty-case-video
Court has difficult time finding attorney’s for Sloops in Ethan Stacy death penalty case (video)
June 4, 2010

Friday, at a court hearing for Nathan and Stephanie Sloop, the current lawyers told 2nd District Judge David Connors that court officials have not found suitable lawyers to defend the Sloops. Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings said that asking for the death penalty in this case is likely, but the motion hasn’t been filed yet.

Court officials have a list of attorneys to call that must meet the Rule 8 attorney selection process and they are having a difficult time finding suitable attorney’s for the Sloops. The lawyers must have the experience and qualifications to defend someone in a capital case, and they have to want to take the case, as explained by Fox News 13 in the video below.

"[It is] very difficult to find defense attorneys who are both capable and willing to take on these cases. There are many lawyers, actually who are able and willing, in theory, to take on the cases. But, because of the caps on fees and the nature in which fees are provided, it is incredibly costly for lawyers to take on these cases," said Daniel Medwed, a University of Utah law professor (see Fox News 13 video below).

Nathan and Stephanie Sloop have been charged with the murder of 4-year-old Ethan Stacy. Stacy arrived in Utah around May 1 to spend the summer with his mother and stepfather, Nathan and Stephanie Sloop.

Friday, the Sloops appeared in court briefly for the hearing and then left. Nathan mouthed the words I love you to his mother who was in the courtroom.  The court date was rescheduled for June 11 at 1 p.m.
4-year-old Ethan Stacy’s body was found after his mother and stepfather confessed to where the body could be found. His body was found about 40 miles from Salt Lake City, Utah near the Powder Mountain ski resort. Authorities reported that Ethan was severely abused for four days before he died.

Tens of thousands of sad and angry comments have been left on websites from people around the country who are angry about Ethan Stacy’s death. To read some of those comments, click here.

Yesterday, ABC 4 reported that they received a response from Stephanie Sloop from her jail cell in response to a letter they sent to her about Ethan. To read more about that, click here.

If you liked this article, please click on the subscribe button above to receive an email when new articles are published by this examiner.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2010, 08:49:26 PM »

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/Sloops-appointed-counsel-hearings-delayed/-KaU_5SWU0e8egxfCFB1Cw.cspx
Sloops appointed counsel; hearings delayed
June 10, 2010

FARMINGTON, Utah (ABC 4 News) - Hearings scheduled for Friday on behalf of Nathan and Stephanie Sloop were delayed on Thursday. Both defendants in the death of Ethan Stacy were also appointed legal counsel.

The new hearing dates will be held on June 14 for Nathan Sloop. Stephanie's hearing was scheduled for June 18.

Judge Thomas Kay appointed attorney Richard P. Mauro as counsel for Nathan Sloop and attorney Mary Corporon as counsel for Stephanie Sloop.

Both have been charged with capital murder and abuse in the death of 5-year-old Ethan Stacy.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2010, 08:50:40 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/x-40986-Salt-Lake-City-Page-One-Examiner~y2010m6d10-Lead-prosecutor-in-Ethan-Stacy-murder-case-receives-national-honor
Lead prosecutor in Ethan Stacy murder case receives national honor
June 10, 2010

Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings, lead prosecutor in the Ethan Stacy murder case, received a national award in Washington, D.C., this week, honoring his service and commitment to helping child abuse victims.

The National Children's Alliance (NCA) presented the 2010 Bud Cramer Award to Rawlings for his work advancing the Children's Justice Center (CJC) model.

Tracey Tabet, Utah's CJC Program Administrator, said Rawlings has been instrumental on a state level, not just in Davis County.

"Certainly Troy helped the Davis CJC realize its potential," she said. "But by strengthening Utah's laws, promoting the CJC model with his peers, and supporting our program generally, Troy has made a difference statewide. He is truly a champion for Utah's child abuse victims--and for the many professionals who work with them."

Nearly a month ago, the body of 4-year-old Ethan Stacy was found near Powder Mountain Ski Resort. "Not a day has gone by since Ethan Stacy's body was found that we do not actively work on the case or think about it," Rawlings said.

Rawlings leads the case against Stephanie and Nathan Sloop, Ethan's mother and stepfather, who have been charged with murder in the little boy's death. "It's the intent of the Davis County Attorney's Office to file the most serious charges and seek the maximum penalties that the facts and law will allow us to do, against Nathan and Stephanie Sloop for the death of 4-year-old Ethan Stacy," Rawlings said in a news conference.

Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff nominated Rawlings for the NCA award and offered his congratulations. "Nothing is more critical than providing the best help possible for child abuse victims," Shurtleff said. "Troy Rawlings well deserves this honor for being such a great advocate for children and the Children's Justice Centers."

"I cannot think of any professional award I would rather receive on behalf of the state of Utah than the Bud Cramer Award from the National Children's Alliance," Rawlings said. "I am honored to accept this on behalf of many dedicated professionals who make the CJC model work."

Rawlings was elected county attorney in 2006. Since then, he has collaborated with state lawmakers, working on significant legislation including Shelby's Law. Named after Shelby Andrews, who was killed in 2006, the law states that a death sentence can be sought in the intentional murder of a child under the age of 14. Because of the enactment of Shelby's Law, the Sloops will likely face the death penalty.

Rawlings also played an important role in enacting Utah's "sexting" law which makes it illegal to send explicit photographs and text messages to children under the age of 18.

Founded in 1987 by former Alabama Congressman Bud Cramer, the National Children's Alliance provides assistance to more than 700 children's advocacy/justice centers in the country. To read more about NCA and its child abuse intervention programs, click here.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2010, 08:53:51 PM »

http://www.standard.net/topics/ethan-stacy/2010/06/12/events-continue-help-ethan-stacys-father
Events continue to help Ethan Stacy's father
Last Edit June 12, 2010

LAYTON -- Fundraising for 4-year-old abuse victim Ethan Stacy continues, as funds are sought to pay for the boy's burial and help with his Virginia-based father's travel costs to attend the legal proceedings for those charged with his son's death.

Those organizing fundraising activities -- in keeping the public's trust -- are doing what they can to limit the number of hands collections pass through before being deposited in the Ethan Stacy Memorial Fund established at Wells Fargo Bank.

To alleviate concerns someone may have about giving to any one of the many fundraising activities, those wanting to help the Stacy family do have other options available, such as personally visiting the bank and making a deposit into the Stacy account, said Mark Chapman, spokesman for Wells Fargo Banks in Utah.

Chapman said he recommends donors personally come into any one of the bank's 130 locations in the state to make their donation.

"We definitely have an account open and people can come in and make a donation," said Chapman, who would not reveal how much has been deposited in the account because it is private.

"That information has to come from someone who can speak on behalf of the Stacy family," he said.

Davis County prosecutors have charged Ethan's mother, Stephanie Sloop, 27, and her new husband, Nathanael Sloop, 31, with first degree aggravated murder in Ethan's death.

Since news of the boy's death broke, the local community has rallied around his father, Joe Stacy, of Richlands, Va., establishing a memorial account in Ethan's name, and holding a series of events to raise funds.

Joe Stacy could not be reached for comment for this story.

The Sparetime Family Fun Center in Roy from 10 a.m. to midnight hosted a fundraising event for the Ethan Stacy family, said Andrea Bliss, event organizer.

Prior to the event, Bliss said she hoped the event, which included bowling, batting cages, miniature golf and pony rides, would raise a few thousand dollars.

"It is all going to the Stacy family," said Bliss, a Davis County resident.

"They (the Stacy family) need our help and I am willing to do whatever it takes to help them out," Bliss said. "Nobody deserves it more,"

The Roy event is not the first activity held to generate support and dollars for the Stacy family.

A Walk for Justice for Ethan Stacy on May 22 drew an estimated 700 people who walked 10 miles from the Layton apartment where Ethan Stacy lived with the Sloops, to the Davis County Jail where the Sloops are being held, said Anissa Martinez, co-organizer of the walk.

There was no registration fee for the walk, Martinez said. But some walkers, aware the account for Ethan had been established, stopped at the Wells Fargo Layton branch and made a $325 donation, she said.

"We're thankful that there was a Wells Fargo there," Martinez said. "That way money isn't changing hands."

Martinez said it is safer and alleviates questions or concerns if people make their donation directly to the bank.

Donors can also mail money orders to Wachovia Bank, (a Wells Fargo company) in care of the Ethan Stacy Memorial Trust, 201 Suffolk Ave. First Floor, Richlands, Va. 24641-2436.

Donors are advised not to send cash through the mail, Chapman said, and donations made to the fund are not considered tax deductible.

"There is sometimes a lot of confusion with people about that," he said.

Other fundraisers held in Ethan Stacy's name involved the Iceberg Drive-in in Syracuse on May 29. Iceberg collected about 1,000 stuffed animals and distributed them to area emergency response agencies to use to comfort traumatized children.

The Texas Roadhouse restaurant in South Ogden also held a June 1 fundraiser for the Stacy family, collecting $1,100.

"Bottom line, I have children," said John Christensen, managing partner in the restaurant, about why he hosted the event.

The restaurant donated 10 percent of its sales for the night to the Stacy account and restaurant patrons and staff also made donations, he said.

"It was the least we could do," Christensen said.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2010, 06:53:37 PM »

Accused killer wants marriage annulled

Sunday, June 27 2010 17:32 
SALT LAKE CITY, June 27 (UPI) -- A Utah woman accused of helping to abuse and kill her son says she was forced into a marriage with her co-defendant and wants the marriage annulled.

Stephanie Sloop and Nathan Sloop are charged with aggravated murder, abuse and other felonies in the death of Stephanie's 4-year-old son Ethan Stacy, The Salt Lake Tribune reported Sunday.

His body was found May 13, buried next to a trail near Utah's Powder Mountain ski resort, the newspaper said.

Ethan, who lived in Virginia with his father Joe Stacy, arrived in Layton, Utah, at the beginning of May to spend the summer with his mother as part of a divorce custodial arrangement.

Stephanie and Nathan Sloop had been engaged for several months before being married May 6.

Sloop says her taking part in the marriage ceremony "was not voluntary, and was the result or product of physical duress by" Nathan Sloop, the Tribune reported.
http://www.polijam.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10797:accused-killer-wants-marriage-annulled&catid=53:us&Itemid=29

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2010, 09:43:07 PM »

oh brother..here it comes...the mom's defense is that she was forced into marriage...forced to kill her son...eye roll inserted here...

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »

oh brother..here it comes...the mom's defense is that she was forced into marriage...forced to kill her son...eye roll inserted here...

No body forced her to do anything. How many of us would stand in between our child and someone wanting to harm them. I would rip the head off of anyone who dared to hurt my child(ren).
These two need to be put to death.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2010, 11:58:13 PM »

No body forced her to do anything. How many of us would stand in between our child and someone wanting to harm them. I would rip the head off of anyone who dared to hurt my child(ren).

I will advocate until my last breath -- what they did to little Ethan needs to be done to them.  A needle in the arm is far to calm compared to the horror they inflicted on this little man.

melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2010, 07:53:17 AM »

I will advocate until my last breath -- what they did to little Ethan needs to be done to them.  A needle in the arm is far to calm compared to the horror they inflicted on this little man.

Amen Sister!  As far as harming children go...AN EYE FOR AN EYE!
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2010, 08:20:24 AM »

yep..right there with ya on that one!

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2010, 03:58:41 PM »

yep..right there with ya on that one!

I am a very peaceful person.  But when it comes to the children, the disabled, the elderly or anyone who cannot defend themselves . . . I want vengenance so deeply for these victims!  My only consolation is God's vengenance is perfect!

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2010, 04:19:10 PM »

Those involved in Ethan Stacy case want to 'do this right'
Published: Friday, Sept. 10, 2010 1:29 p.m. MDT
 By Emiley Morgan, Deseret News

FARMINGTON — In a community still reeling from the killing of two Layton children Wednesday, Ethan Stacy has not been forgotten.

Not for a minute. But those involved in his murder case want the public to know justice will come in time.

"This is an extremely important matter and an extremely complicated matter and while I know the public wants to move things quickly, it's important Mr. Sloop's rights are protected as well as the rights of the victim in this case," 2nd District Judge Michael Allphin said Friday.

Stephanie and Nathan Sloop are charged with capital murder in connection with the death of Ethan, whose disfigured body was found in a rural mountain area on May 9. At Friday's hearing, there were a number of supporters who again turned out to support the 4-year-old boy, hoping to see the case move forward. Instead new dates were set for additional status hearings.

Nathan Sloop's defense attorney Scott Williams said they want to make sure any "legal issues" are resolved before a preliminary hearing is scheduled. Stephanie Sloop's attorney, Mary Corporon, asked for a similar continuance based on the large amount of evidence in the case. Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings said there are already more than 3,200 pages of documents and 180 CDs of information.

"We have to be prudent in cases like this," Rawlings said. "You always have to worry about appellate issues, so the state is agreeable to (setting another hearing). When you look at the weight of this case, aggravated murder, the penalty could be death, it's prudent for counsel to take time."

The judge twice told the public that while he understands that this is an emotional case that has left the public hankering for a resolution, it is important that the rights of the defendants are preserved. Lucinda Martin, a Harrisville woman who attended the hearing with others who met through a "Justice for Ethan" Facebook group, said the judge's decision to delay and simply schedule additional hearings is frustrating.

"I understand why he's doing it," she said. "But everything is about protecting their rights and not protecting Ethan's. Obviously we want them to do it right and we will be here."

Anissa Martinez, of Roy, said Ethan's case — together with the deaths of two Layton children who police say were killed Wednesday by their mother — has her greatly concerned.

"It's become an epidemic," she said. "Something needs to stop. You can't describe the feeling. The feelings of terrible sadness, grief and anger."

Rawlings said he understands the public's concerns about delays in the case, but said there is a constitutional presumption of innocence that "everyone needs to keep in mind."

"This case is on a death penalty track at this time and so the defense needs time to prepare for how they're going to defend this at the preliminary stage," he said. "We want to do this right and only do it once."

Prosecutors will have 60 days after the preliminary hearing to decide whether to file a notice of intent to seek the death penalty. Rawlings said it would be "silly" to file such a notice without knowing all of the evidence, which will be presented at that preliminary hearing.

"We're not going to jump the gun and be stupid," he said. "We're going to do it right. We'd rather have the case tried in appropriate time than prematurely."

Both Stephanie and Nathan Sloop waived their rights to a speedy public trial as it applies to the preliminary stages of the proceedings. The next status conference for Nathan Sloop, 31, is Oct. 22 at 8:30 a.m. The next court appearance for Stephanie Sloop, 27, is slated for Oct. 12 at 1 p.m.

Corporon said she will ask that the preliminary hearings be held separately, a request Rawlings said his office will seriously consider.

In addition to the capital murder charges, the Sloops face charges of child abuse and obstructing justice, both second-degree felonies, and abuse or desecration of a body, a third-degree felony.

Police say Ethan died as a result of "a systematic and progressively more violent pattern of abuse." His body was found in a remote area near Powder Mountain.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700064435/Those-involved-in-Ethan-Stacy-case-want-to-do-this-right.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2010, 08:08:05 PM »

Dear Ethan, I will never, never forget!

Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2010, 06:15:22 PM »

Dear Ethan, I will never, never forget!

an angelic monkey  an angelic monkey

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2010, 04:17:20 PM »

Judge sets preliminary hearing in boy's death
October 22nd, 2010 @ 1:35pm

By Associated Press
FARMINGTON, Utah (AP) -- A Utah judge set Feb. 1 for a preliminary hearing for a man charged in the beating death and disfigurement of his 4-year-old stepson whose body was found in the Utah mountains.

Nathanael and Stephanie Sloop are charged in the death of Ethan Stacy in May after what prosecutors say was days of abuse at a Layton apartment. His mother reported him missing but police later found his body in Ogden Canyon.

Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings told The Associated Press there will be separate preliminary hearings and trials for each defendant and that he doesn't plan to call one to testify against the other.

Prosecutors will have 60 days after an arraignment to decide whether they plan to seek the death penalty against the couple. In Utah, arraignments follow preliminary hearings.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=12922524
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 04:19:02 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2010, 08:46:39 PM »

Thank you Nut for this update.  This child has pierced my inner being.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2010, 05:17:14 AM »

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-national/ethan-stacy-s-mom-and-stepdad-can-t-claim-spousal-privilege-says-attorney
Ethan Stacy’s mom and stepdad can’t claim spousal privilege, says attorney
October 23, 2010

Ethan Stacy’s mom and stepdad can’t claim spousal privilege, says attorney

According to the county attorney’s office, spousal privilege won’t be an issue in the upcoming preliminary hearings for the accused murderers of 4-year-old Ethan Stacy.

The little boy’s mother, Stephanie Sloop, 27, and his stepfather, Nathan Sloop, 31, have been charged in his death.

In May, while visiting his mother‘s Utah home, Nathan allegedly tortured and abused Ethan over the course of several days -- ultimately resulting in his death. His mother is accused of doing nothing to prevent the horrific treatment Ethan endured.

After Ethan died, Nathan allegedly disfigured the body to discourage identification, and the couple buried the boy near Powder Mountain.

To see photos regarding Ethan's case, click here.

According to the Standard-Examiner, Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings said Utah law does not allow a spouse to evoke the spousal privilege when the case involves “the possible abuse of a natural child of either party.”

Both Stephanie and Nathan are charged with second-degree felony child abuse, second-degree felony obstruction of justice, third-degree felony abuse or desecration of a body, and aggravated murder in connection with Ethan’s death.

The couple was in court Friday, learning they would be tried separately regarding the case. In addition, the judge announced Nathan’s preliminary hearing will begin February 1, while Stephanie’s will start weeks later.

Rawlings also noted his office will likely seek the death penalty for both defendants.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.