March 28, 2024, 08:56:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethan Stacy, 4yr old, found dead  (Read 83031 times)
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2014, 11:01:50 AM »

By jessica miller

| The Salt Lake Tribune

First Published Feb 04 2014 04:20 pm • Last Updated Feb 05 2014 10:56 am    

Farmington • Nearly four years after the body of Ethan Stacy was found buried on a mountainside in Weber County, the child’s stepfather — Nathan Sloop — admitted Tuesday that he played a role in the 4-year-old’s death.

Sloop, 35, pleaded guilty but mentally ill to aggravated murder — a capital offense — for the 2010 death of Ethan Stacy.

The body of Ethan Stacy, 4, was found in a Utah canyon. His mother, Stephanie Sloop, and stepfather, Nathan Sloop, are charged with aggravated murder in connection with the boy's death in 2010. (AP Photo/Layton Police Department)
 (Keith Johnson | The Salt Lake Tribune) /POOL Judge Glen Dawson listens as Nathan Sloop pleads guilty to the charges of aggravated murder and aggravated assault, during what was originally scheduled to be a pretrial conference, February 4, 2014 in Farmington, Utah. Sloop is accused of killing his stepson Ethan Stacy in 2010.
 (Keith Johnson | The Salt Lake Tribune) /POOL Nathan Sloop listens while the prosecution accepts his plea of guilty to the charges of aggravated murder and aggravated assault, during what was originally scheduled to be a pretrial conference in Judge Glen Dawson's courtroom, February 4, 2014 in Farmington, Utah. Sloop is accused of killing his stepson Ethan Stacy in 2010.
 (Keith Johnson | The Salt Lake Tribune) /POOL Nathan Sloop listens while the prosecution accepts his plea of guilty to the charges of aggravated murder and aggravated assault, during what was originally scheduled to be a pretrial conference in Judge Glen Dawson's courtroom, February 4, 2014 in Farmington, Utah. Sloop is accused of killing his stepson Ethan Stacy in 2010.
 (Keith Johnson | The Salt Lake Tribune) /POOL Nathan Sloop sits in court before pleading guilty to the charges of aggravated murder and aggravated assault, during what was originally scheduled to be a pretrial conference in Judge Glen Dawson's courtroom, February 4, 2014 in Farmington, Utah. Sloop is accused of killing his stepson Ethan Stacy in 2010.
 (Keith Johnson | The Salt Lake Tribune) /POOL Nathan Sloop walks into court before pleading guilty to the charges of aggravated murder and aggravated assault, during what was originally scheduled to be a pretrial conference in Judge Glen Dawson's courtroom, February 4, 2014 in Farmington, Utah. Sloop is accused of killing his stepson Ethan Stacy in 2010.
 (Keith Johnson | The Salt Lake Tribune) /POOL Joe Stacy leaves Judge Glen Dawson's courtroom in Farmington, Utah, February 4, 2014 after Nathan Sloop, accused of killing Joe's son Ethan Stacy in 2010, pleaded guilty to the charges of aggravated murder and aggravated assault during what was originally scheduled to be a pretrial conference.
 (Keith Johnson | The Salt Lake Tribune) /POOL Prosecutor Troy Rawlings, left, talks to Joe Stacy, during what was originally scheduled to be a pretrial conference for Nathan Sloop in Judge Glen Dawson's courtroom, February 4, 2014 in Farmington, Utah. Sloop is accused of killing his stepson--Joe's biological son--Ethan Stacy in 2010. During the conference, Nathan Sloop pleaded guilty to the charges of aggravated murder and aggravated assault.

**/sltrib/news/.../sloop-death-ethan-aggravated.html.csp
Feb 4, 2014 ... (Keith Johnson | The Salt Lake Tribune)

"That boy died on my watch, and I’m horribly sorry," Nathan Sloop told 2nd District Judge Glen Dawson.

Nathan Sloop told the judge that "reckless indifference" described his state of mind in the months before Ethan’s death. He said he wanted to plead guilty on Tuesday to accept responsibility for his actions.

"I want to apologize to all those who were affected by my reckless indifference to Ethan Stacy," Sloop said.

Sloop also pleaded guilty but mentally ill to aggravated assault by a prisoner for attacking a David County jail officer. A number of other charges were dismissed as part of a plea deal, which also spared him from facing the death penalty.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2014, 09:11:51 AM »

http://**/sltrib/news/56075818-78/sloop-nathan-ethan-police.html.csp

Murder hearing: Sloops sought advice from chiropractor on burned 4-year-old
By Jessica Miller The Salt Lake Tribune

Published March 29, 2013 7:39 am

Farmington • Nathan and Stephanie Sloop did not take 4-year-old Ethan Stacy to an emergency room when he was badly scalded and in need of medical attention before his death in 2010, but they did seek other remedies to treat the boy.

Defense attorneys presented evidence supporting this claim in court Thursday during the second day of Nathan Sloop's preliminary hearing in 2nd District Court. The couple have been charged with aggravated murder in the boy's death.

The evidence showed the Sloops had asked their chiropractor how to treat Ethan's second- and third-degree burns, along with how to handle Ethan's behavioral issues, including several instances of biting Nathan Sloop and Ethan escaping their Layton apartment.

The chiropractor, who never examined Ethan, told them to put honey on the wounds and give the boy oregano oil to control the behavioral issues.

According to police probable cause statements, Stephanie Sloop said she knew Ethan needed medical attention after an initial May 5 disciplinary beating by Nathan Sloop, but that she was afraid Sloop would harm her, too, if she acted.

She told police that Ethan became "extremely ill," would not eat and was given Benadryl to keep him quiet. She also told police that on May 7, Nathan Sloop told her Ethan had burned himself in the bathtub on his feet, legs and buttocks by turning up the hot water when Nathan Sloop left the bathroom. But Nathan Sloop admitted to police that he had scalded the boy, according to testimony.

The couple — who told police they left the injured boy in a locked bedroom while they got married on May 6 — reported Ethan missing on Mother's Day, May 10, after discovering the boy was dead. But after a 12-hour search, police say the couple confessed to burying the boy on a mountainside in Weber County.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2014, 09:14:54 AM »

http://**/sltrib/news/56075818-78/sloop-nathan-ethan-police.html.csp

Murder hearing: Sloops sought advice from chiropractor on burned 4-year-old
By Jessica Miller The Salt Lake Tribune

Published March 29, 2013 7:39 am

Farmington • Nathan and Stephanie Sloop did not take 4-year-old Ethan Stacy to an emergency room when he was badly scalded and in need of medical attention before his death in 2010, but they did seek other remedies to treat the boy.

Defense attorneys presented evidence supporting this claim in court Thursday during the second day of Nathan Sloop's preliminary hearing in 2nd District Court. The couple have been charged with aggravated murder in the boy's death.

The evidence showed the Sloops had asked their chiropractor how to treat Ethan's second- and third-degree burns, along with how to handle Ethan's behavioral issues, including several instances of biting Nathan Sloop and Ethan escaping their Layton apartment.

The chiropractor, who never examined Ethan, told them to put honey on the wounds and give the boy oregano oil to control the behavioral issues.

According to police probable cause statements, Stephanie Sloop said she knew Ethan needed medical attention after an initial May 5 disciplinary beating by Nathan Sloop, but that she was afraid Sloop would harm her, too, if she acted.

She told police that Ethan became "extremely ill," would not eat and was given Benadryl to keep him quiet. She also told police that on May 7, Nathan Sloop told her Ethan had burned himself in the bathtub on his feet, legs and buttocks by turning up the hot water when Nathan Sloop left the bathroom. But Nathan Sloop admitted to police that he had scalded the boy, according to testimony.

The couple — who told police they left the injured boy in a locked bedroom while they got married on May 6 — reported Ethan missing on Mother's Day, May 10, after discovering the boy was dead. But after a 12-hour search, police say the couple confessed to burying the boy on a mountainside in Weber County.

BBM

Should have bolded this first -- asking a chiropractor? (not that I have anything against these doctors) for "medical" issues?  Wonder why he didn't refer them to an ER or maybe he did.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2014, 10:40:43 AM »

don't know if I had posted this -- still waiting for POS Stephanie's trial.
February 5, 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2552311/Stepfather-pleads-guilty-brutal-murder-boy-4-bashed-hammer-buried-shallow-grave-sprinkled-dog-food.html

Stepfather pleads guilty to brutal murder of boy, 4, who was bashed with a hammer, burnt and buried in a shallow grave sprinkled with dog food

The body of Ethan Stacy, 4, was found in a shallow grave on a mountainside in Weber County, Utah, in May 2010
He died from a combination of too many over-the-counter medications, aspiration pneumonia and severe burns, likely caused from hot water in a tub
Police alleged the boy was forced to eat his own fecal matter and his face had been disfigured with a hammer after he died

His stepfather, Nathan Sloop, 35, pleaded guilty but mentally ill to aggravated murder on Tuesday as part of a plea deal to avoid the death penalty

He was sentenced to 25 years to life plus 1 to 15 years for a charge of aggravated assault
The boy's mother, Stephanie Sloop, 30, is awaiting trial for her alleged role in the murder

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2552311/Stepfather-pleads-guilty-brutal-murder-boy-4-bashed-hammer-buried-shallow-grave-sprinkled-dog-food.html#ixzz32SM1CzYQ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2014, 11:15:45 AM »

http://**/sltrib/news/57976618-78/sloop-nathan-death-aggravated.html.csp

Stephanie Sloop appears in court; another hearing set for July
By Jessica MIller

| The Salt Lake Tribune

First Published May 22 2014 10:44 am • Last Updated May 22 2014 01:46 pm    

Stephanie Sloop ­— charged with murder in the 2010 death of her son — was in court Thursday for a brief status hearing.

Prosecutors told 2nd District Judge Thomas Kay they have made "significant progress," but need at least one more month before deciding where to go with the case.

The body of Ethan Stacy, 4, was found in a Utah canyon. His mother, Stephanie Sloop, and stepfather, Nathan Sloop, are charged with aggravated murder in connection with the boy's death in 2010. (AP Photo/Layton Police Department)
Stephanie Sloop, who is charged with capital murder in connection with the death of her son, Ethan Stacy, attends a court hearing Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 2nd District Court in Farmington, Utah. (NICK SHORT/Standard-Examiner)

Sloop will be back in court July 3.

Sloop, 31, is charged with first-degree felony aggravated murder, second-degree felony counts of obstructing justice and inflicting serious injury on a child, and third-degree felony abuse or desecration of a dead human body after Ethan Stacy died in 2010.

The woman’s husband, Nathan Sloop, 35, faced the same charges in the death of his stepson. He pleaded guilty but mentally ill in February to aggravated murder — a capital offense — while the remaining charges related to the boy’s death were dismissed. He also pleaded guilty but mentally ill to second-degree felony aggravated assault by a prisoner for attacking a Davis County jail officer.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2014, 01:42:01 PM »

http://**/sltrib/news/58146813-78/sloop-hearing-nathan-murder.html.csp

Stephanie Sloop gets Utah hearing date in son’s murder case

Courts » Husband already sentenced to 25 years to life in prison.

By michael mcfall

| The Salt Lake Tribune

First Published Jul 03 2014 01:51 pm • Last Updated Jul 07 2014 01:24 pm    

Farmington » Stephanie Sloop ­— charged with murder in the 2010 death of her son — has a preliminary hearing set for November.

Sloop, 31, is scheduled to return 2nd District Court on Nov. 17 for a three-day hearing. She also has a scheduling conference set for Sept. 4.

The body of Ethan Stacy, 4, was found in a Utah canyon. His mother, Stephanie Sloop, and stepfather, Nathan Sloop, are charged with aggravated murder in connection with the boy's death in 2010.

Sloop is charged with first-degree felony aggravated murder, second-degree felony counts of obstructing justice and inflicting serious injury on a child, and third-degree felony abuse or desecration of a dead human body after Ethan Stacy died in May 2010.

The woman’s husband, Nathan Sloop, 35, faced the same charges in the death of his stepson. He pleaded guilty but mentally ill in February to aggravated murder — a potentially capital offense — while the remaining charges related to the boy’s death were dismissed. A judge immediately sentenced Nathan Sloop to 25 years to life in prison for the murder.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2014, 01:36:56 AM »

Thanks 4 the updates Sister 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2014, 01:40:44 PM »

Thanks 4 the updates Sister 
You're welcome!   

Ethan's is just one of those situations which I can't get out of my mind.  I pray for his Father every day.  I just don't know how he copes.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2014, 07:36:38 AM »

http://**/news/1690387-155/sloop-corporon-stephanie-nathan-trial-evidence

Evidence hangup delays trial date for Stephanie Sloop 
 By ERIN ALBERTY |  The Salt Lake Tribune    First Published Oct 09 2014 07:38PM    •    Last Updated Oct 16 2014 01:45 pm

After setting Sloop’s preliminary hearing for Nov. 17 through 19, Judge Thomas Kay on Thursday asked attorneys to tentatively clear time for a trial because the case is now more than four years old. Sloop, 31, and Nathan Sloop, 35, were charged with first-degree felony aggravated murder, along with several other felonies in the death of 4-year-old Stacy, whom prosecutors say was beaten, burned, drugged, malnourished, isolated and denied medical care for about a week before he died in May 2010. 

Since Nathan Sloop’s plea, Corporon has claimed that prosecutors obtained evidence from him that could prove Stephanie Sloop’s innocence. Davis County Attorney Troy Rawilngs has said he wants to release the evidence, but Nathan Sloop’s attorneys have prevented it, claiming the documents are protected and their release would violate his constitutional rights.

"There’s a conflict between [Stephanie Sloop’s] due process rights and Mr. Sloop’s allegations of 4th Amendment rights and right to counsel and private communication with counsel that would be implicated," Corporon said.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2014, 09:37:58 AM »

http://**/news/1690387-155/sloop-corporon-stephanie-nathan-trial-evidence

Evidence hangup delays trial date for Stephanie Sloop 
 By ERIN ALBERTY |  The Salt Lake Tribune    First Published Oct 09 2014 07:38PM    •    Last Updated Oct 16 2014 01:45 pm

After setting Sloop’s preliminary hearing for Nov. 17 through 19, Judge Thomas Kay on Thursday asked attorneys to tentatively clear time for a trial because the case is now more than four years old. Sloop, 31, and Nathan Sloop, 35, were charged with first-degree felony aggravated murder, along with several other felonies in the death of 4-year-old Stacy, whom prosecutors say was beaten, burned, drugged, malnourished, isolated and denied medical care for about a week before he died in May 2010. 

Since Nathan Sloop’s plea, Corporon has claimed that prosecutors obtained evidence from him that could prove Stephanie Sloop’s innocence. Davis County Attorney Troy Rawilngs has said he wants to release the evidence, but Nathan Sloop’s attorneys have prevented it, claiming the documents are protected and their release would violate his constitutional rights.

"There’s a conflict between [Stephanie Sloop’s] due process rights and Mr. Sloop’s allegations of 4th Amendment rights and right to counsel and private communication with counsel that would be implicated," Corporon said.

I hope these matters will be resolved soon, and there will be justice for Ethan and family.  The case is more than four years old.  Not only is this torturous for his family to endure, but it keeps all those that may have to witness and etc. to wait and wait. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2014, 07:39:56 AM »

It amazes anyone can say Stephanie Sloop and innocent in the same sentence.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2014, 06:07:29 AM »

http://fox13now.com/2014/11/17/stephanie-sloop-takes-plea-deal-in-ethan-stacy-murder/

Stephanie Sloop takes plea deal in Ethan Stacy murder

Posted 8:37 am, November 17, 2014, by Ben Winslow, Updated at 08:19pm, November 17, 2014

FARMINGTON — A woman charged in the death of her 4-year-old son has struck a plea deal with prosecutors.

Stephanie Sloop pleaded guilty on Monday to aggravated murder and obstruction of justice in the murder of Ethan Stacy. In exchange, prosecutors removed the possibility and the death penalty and dropped charges of child abuse and desecration of a body.

“My selfish behavior is the reason I am standing here today pleading guilty to these charges,” Sloop sobbed as she addressed the judge.

“The fact is, I am entirely responsible because I am his mommy! I failed to take care of him properly because I couldn’t even take care of myself. My selfishness and failures as a parent cost ‘pumpkin’s’ death, and there’s no changing the fact that I am the one responsible.”

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2014, 06:20:25 AM »

The above link contains her statement.

It is absolutely nauseating to me that she calls him all those "endearing" names.  She gets no pass from me . . . but then I am not the final judge -- and that's a good thing.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2014, 10:14:05 AM »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/utah-mother-gets-at-least-20-years-in-sons-death/ar-BBejfso

Stacy, who lives in Virginia, was in court Monday but declined to make a statement during the hearing, the Tribune reported.

He had sent Ethan to live with his mother as part of a divorce agreement. The boy died 10 days after arriving in Utah.

When he called to talk with his son, Stacy said Stephanie and Nathanael Sloop told him Ethan was asleep or playing outside.

20 years to life -- you got off easy Stephanie Sloop.

Prayers for Mr. Stacy!

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2014, 08:32:44 AM »

from Facebook

Nathan Sloop, 35, pleaded guilty but mentally ill in February to aggravated murder. By accepting a plea deal, Sloop was spared a potential death penalty if he had been convicted by a jury. A judge instead sentenced him to 25 years to life in prison.

The Utah Board of Pardons and Parole recently told Nathan Sloop that his first parole hearing won't be for 40 years. It was in part because of the parole board's tough stance with Nathan Sloop, as well as his desire to avoid years of legal appeals, that Joe Stacy agreed to the plea deal with Stephanie Sloop, Rawlings said.

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2015, 09:41:01 AM »

https://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com/2015/04/18/update-ethan-stacy-murder-mother-stephanie-sloop-pled-guilty-sentenced-to-20-years-to-life-in-prison/

**Update**5/13/2015: Neither Stephanie Sloop or Nathan Sloop will be walking out of prison any time soon. The Utah Parole Board has set their first parole hearing for 2055 – in 40 years. Both will be in their 70s. And they may not be released then.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.