March 28, 2024, 08:15:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP - Ronnie James Dio dead at 67 / Black Sabbath 1979 ...more  (Read 7929 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: May 17, 2010, 04:19:04 PM »

Metal icon Ronnie James Dio dead at 67

Heavy metal lost one of its icons Sunday when singer Ronnie James Dio died at 67. He was being treated in a Houston hospital for stomach cancer.

“My heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45 a.m,” said a statement by his wife, Wendy, posted Sunday on the singer’s Web site and confirmed by publicist Maureen O'Connor.

Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins commented on Twitter, "Ronnie was a true gentleman, and obviously one of the best rock singers there will ever be. What a sad loss. ... I only got to meet him once and I can honestly say he was the nicest person I have ever met in music."

Dio’s neo-operatic voice was one of metal’s most distinctive instruments, an over-the-top stylist perfectly suited for a genre that demanded excess.

He fronted some of metal’s most revered bands, including a Deep Purple offshoot called Rainbow, the second incarnation of Black Sabbath and his namesake group, Dio. As a result, he had a hand in a half-dozen of metal’s greatest albums, including Sabbath’s “Heaven and Hell” and Dio’s “Holy Diver.” Most recently he was heard fronting a Sabbath offshoot, Heaven and Hell, which released a fine 2009 album, “The Devil You Know,” and toured extensively in 2008-09.

Dio’s piercing voice and equally flamboyant persona – he is sometimes credited with popularizing the two-fingered “devil’s horns” gesture – made him fodder for affectionate parody, most notably by the best-selling comedy duo Tenacious D.

Dio was born Ronald James Padavona in 1942 in Portsmouth, N.H. He began playing in rock bands starting in the late ‘50s in Cortland, N.Y., and eventually formed the band Elf in 1969. A tour as opening act with Deep Purple led to Dio’s first big break – he caught the ear of guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, who formed the band Rainbow with the vocalist.

The singer then joined Black Sabbath in 1979 after the departure of Ozzy Osbourne, and sparked one of the group’s best albums, “Heaven and Hell.” He would continue working off and on with Sabbath and Sabbath band members throughout the remainder of his career, in between stints with Dio – a classic, old-school metal band that toured and recorded consistently over the last three decades. The Dio band released 10 studio albums since 1983 and went through numerous lineup changes, with the singer the sole constant.

For many fans, Dio embodied metal’s virtues, notably its confrontational power and hell-raising subject matter. That affection spilled over into the comedy of Tenacious D – a duo led by movie star Jack Black --- who wrote the tribute song “Dio” and even had the singer appear as an oracle of sorts in the movie “Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny.” Dio guides the young Black to pursue his dreams. “Now go, my son,” he bellowed, “and rock!”

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/turn_it_up/2010/05/metal-icon-ronnie-james-dio-dead-at-67.html?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 04:25:47 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 04:23:45 PM »

http://www.dio.net/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:47:59 PM »

NUT I just read it on the news ..........

I can't even believe it.  I am a Monkey of all music even Metal .. I stand speechless. Sad Day.
I pray he didn't suffer inhumanely within his cancer. I did not know he was battling the worse of the worst of C's.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBVhYIclP5k&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/uBVhYIclP5k&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0</a>
" Iron Man"
I add this video above for those who want to play it. Not the Dio Sabbath Version - I could not find one that sounded right ..........
If your not into Metal don't play it. You won't like it nor understand it. I know the song not by owning it as a teen. But for my Brother playing it every morning for a year 1983- The Song that woke the family from his bedroom. Played at 5:50 am every morning - that My DAD would rise from his Bed in his shorts and bang on my brothers Door - TURN IT DOWN!!!  Ahhh the memories.   

Soon enough my Dad was so used to hearing it - he would nod his head to the beat to grab his towels - to go to the shower.
For One year " My Brother's Senior Year of High School " this was the song that flooded our house an home at 6 am - I have to say it is true. How My DAD allowed it .. I don't know till this day. My Dad " flexible" I guess to the hilt and more. Lot's of DIO alone too - was in our house. The song infamous of Ronnie James Dio  Good Night my Brother Dio RIP
Rainbow in the Dark  

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LmSt1oEIshE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/LmSt1oEIshE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0</a>

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 07:26:54 AM »

http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-wendy-dio-donation-story,0,5480152.story
Video
Rocker's Widow Donates to Houston Cancer Treatment Center
December 8, 2010

HOUSTON —
Earlier this year, 39 News was the only television station in the country to interview heavy metal icon Ronnie James Dio while he underwent cancer treatment at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston
Dio -- former front man for groups like Black Sabbath -- died about two months after our interview. He was being treated for esophageal cancer at M.D. Anderson.

Dio's wife, Wendy Dio, was back in Houston Wednesday, offering help for cancer research and telling her personal story about the past few months.

She presented $117,000 to her husband's physician, Dr. Ajani, for his esophageal cancer research program.

"We are honored that Wendy Dio has chosen to establish a foundation in Ronnie's memory," said Michelle Moore with external communications at M.D. Anderson. "[She] is determined to create more awareness to the community about early detection [and] screening, and to further research in this area."

Wendy sat down Wednesday with 39 News photojournalist Scott Goldsmith. Watch the video for the full story.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.