Angel Downs Murder Investigation - County Commissioner Steve Nodine only suspect

(1/40) > >>

Cherry6905:
This is some story I'll try to post as much info as I can.

There is a lot of press on this in the area. Steve Nodine has friends in high places. He's not yet been charged with Angel Downs murder but is the only suspect.

The Mobile County Commissioner seems to have had a checkered past. Allegedly a pot smoking, lortab taking, womanizer with a bad temper. Accused of misuse of funds and vehicle. He's been impeached and arrested on the drug charges. He's out on bail.

Seems many knew about his escapades but did nothing. Is he getting special treatment now?
http://www.wkrg.com/financial/article/steve-nodine-overview/887109/May-15-2010_12-52-pm/
No murder charges yet. Angel Downs was a heart transplant survivor and it is rumored she had been trying to end their relationship.

His longtime mistress was found shot in her head and Steve Nodine was seen driving away.
http://blog.al.com/live/2010/05/angel_downs_stephen_nodine_see.html

His wife has filed for a divorce. http://www.wkrg.com/alabama/article/steve-nodines-wife-files-for-divorce/887557/May-17-2010_5-41-pm/

It's said there was another woman in Steve's past who met an untimely death - a questionable suicide.

It's an interesting story and WKRG Reporter Jessica Taloney is on top of it.

Stephen Daniel Nodine job description http://www.mobilecountyal.gov/Default.asp?ID=149&pg=Stephen+Nodine

Here's what some of his buddies are saying now:
http://open.salon.com/blog/kevin_lee/2010/05/12/political_leader_scrutinized_in_seamy_oj-style_death
http://open.salon.com/blog/kevin_lee/2010/05/15/ethics_drugs_and_murder_charges_pile_on_politico

Shane McBryde (old radio buddy - who is now sober and drug-free):
How I Became Friends with a Suspected Murderer http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/3004834/steve_nodine_and_me_pg3.html?cat=7

Why is a Suspected Murderer and Known Absuer of the Public Trust Still Not Behind Bars?
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/3015196/steve_nodine_a_man_who_knows_too_much.html?cat=8

Finger Pointing and Backbiting Continue Over Who Bares the Heaviest Burden of Steve Nodine's Success
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/3019332/as_the_nodine_saga_drags_on_a_plea.html?cat=9

Lagniappe:
Was the Press Complicit?
http://www.lagniappemobile.com/articles/3412-was-the-press-complicit

Rob Holbert
http://www.lagniappemobile.com/articles/3429-blowing-our-own-horn
Nodine frenzy and the media
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water following the Herman Thomas debacle, here comes the arrest of Mobile County Commissioner Steve Nodine on drug and ethical charges, and the announcement he is the lone suspect in the murder of Angel Downs, his longtime girlfriend.

Now one of the things media folks like me and others I know are being asked is how Nodine’s behavior went undetected by the press for so long. The only answer I have is, that I’m not entirely sure. All of the sudden after his arrest, we’ve got records showing reimbursements for lavish meals, stories of him losing his vehicle for days after Mardi Gras and regular drunken behavior.

Now, I have never spent any time socially with Nodine — sorry those who think we’re buddies, but I’ve never so much as had a beer with the guy — but the stories from people I know well about him showing up in local bars with his girlfriend, despite being married, are many. But is it the press’ job to report on any public official who steps outside the marital boundaries? I hope not. It’s not something I think many of us wish to police.

But things like losing his truck and showing up at the BP Oil Command Center wasted and belligerent seem difficult to believe they could be kept quiet.

Now that we have his phone records for the past several months, it is clear Nodine was fond of calling several members of the media to blabber about any number of things. As one of those who occasionally listened to him on the phone — I say “listen” because it was seldom a two-way conversation — I can report that most of the time he seemed to be trying to lead me into doing some story he thought “we” needed to do. I doubt there were many times “we” agreed on any of his story ideas, though.

Mostly I just thought he was blowing off steam and rambling. However, since pot was found in his county-issued truck at the end of last year, his calls have become more angry and pointed at revealing others’ foibles (or worse). He didn’t really offer evidence of what he alleged, but often railed against people for messing with him. Those who were going to pay included everyone from the governor to the Chamber of Commerce, who he threatened in the last call I took from him on the day before Downs died.

Many times I simply didn’t answer his calls because I found it difficult to get him off the phone. But sometimes I felt he might say something useful. I’m sure the same is true for most media folks he called. I know he also liked to say he was close friends with all manner of media people — several of whom, like me, rarely if ever did anything with him socially. One of those is Chris Smith aka “Uncle Henry,” who had Nodine on his show many times and watched as Nodine built his political “empire” through his constant agitation to be in print or on the radio or TV.

Now Smith/Uncle Henry are taking a lot of heat for the “close” relationship with Nodine, including from the guy who probably helped Nodine the most — former radio host Shane McBryde. McBryde has written a highly questionable piece on a website detailing his and Nodine’s alleged love of chasing women and smoking weed, but also trying to throw Smith under the bus with them.

I first met Nodine while going on McBryde’s show, when he used to let “The Hammer” come in and blabber, while McBryde would just lay back and do nothing. I finally stopped going on the show because McBryde seemed so lazy and Nodine so overbearing. McBryde has since had several bad job endings in Mobile and other cities, so he’s a sketchy source at best.

Still, I did think Nodine was doing a fairly good job in office. It seems I may have been very wrong, and I think it’s up to all of us in the media to find out just how wrong we may have been and how this stuff got swept under the rug and who has the broom. It’s probably going to get uglier as we go along.

Nut44x4:
Letters, computers seized from home
Dennis Knizely is now representing Steve Nodine
Updated: Wednesday, 19 May 2010, 1:55 PM CDT
Published : Wednesday, 19 May 2010, 10:18 AM CDT

Hubert Tate
BAY MINETTE, Alabama (WALA) - Search warrants in the murder of Angel Downs have been filed in Baldwin County District Court.

The affidavit said the search of Mobile County Commissioner Steve Nodine's truck revealed stains consistent with blood. The affidavit says the stains were found on the exterior of the truck.

The affidavit also said two spent .40 caliber rounds were also found in the bed of the truck.

In the affidavit, Nodine told authorities he had been to Downs' home the day of the murder, but denied being present during the shooting.

A neighbor told investigators they heard a gun shot and stepped outside to see what had happened. They also saw a red Ford truck with blue county-issued tags. In the affidavit, another neighbor stated that they knew the truck was Nodine's.

Evidence recovered from Downs' home includes several computers and cell phones, a seven page letter, a one page letter, and e-mails and photographs.

Nodine is the only suspect in Downs' murder.

Also a Mobile County grand jury returned a bill of impeachment against Nodine, citing five factors, one of which was the discovery of marijuana in Nodine's county-issued truck.

Attorney Matt Green told FOX10 News he's no longer representing Nodine. Green said Dennis Knizely is now representing Nodine.

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/crime/search-warrants-to-be-released-steve-nodine-angel-downs

Nut44x4:
County Commisioner indicted on drug charges, named suspect in murder of girlfriend
May 15, 2010 01:13 AM EDT (Updated: May 17, 2010 02:50 PM EDT)

Talk about your bad days.  Mobile County Commissioner,  Steve Nodine of Mobile, Alabama had a bad day.

Today, Nodine turned himself in to the Mobile police after being indicted on drug charges.  Marijuana was found in Nodine's county issued vehichle in December while being serviced in the county garage.  Nodine claimed that the drugs did not belong to him. :roll:

The same grand jury that handed down the drug indictment recommended Nodine be impeached.

Neighboring Baldwin County, Alabama named Steve Nodine as the only suspect in the murder of Angel Downs, his alleged girlfriend.  Downs was found in her driveway with a gun shot would to the head Sunday, May 9.  Nodine's county issued truck was seen leaving Down's home just after the shot was heard.  Nodine has been questioned about the incident, but no charges have been filed.

Shortly after he turned himself into the Mobile police, Nodine's wife of 15 years filed for divorce.

A day doesn't get much worse than that.  Even for a politician.

http://politics.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978237774

Sister:
What a POS!!!
what is "lortab" - me not know . . .

Cherry6905:
Two Cases of Murder

Mobile Alabama is my home and one I’ve cherished. The children here are taught to answer, “yes ma’am or yes sir” and southern hospitality is practiced along with football, going to church, fishing’ and hunting’.

Recently two men allegedly hunted down and killed their intimate partners. Both stories are as black and evil as any story you will hear on the national news. But they contrast in the fact that one man is behind bars and the other is free.

Why the preferential treatment?  Could it be because he’s an elected official, with friends in high places?

Murder #1

Angel Downs Murder Investigation - Commissioner Steve Nodine - Only Suspect
  The night of May 9th was the night Realtor Angel Downs was found shot in the head in her front yard in Gulf Shores, AL. Steve Nodine was seen leaving the scene, in his county provided pickup truck, by neighbors who heard shots fired. Angel Downs was Steve Nodines’s mistress and she was trying to end their longtime rocky relationship. There are many inconsistencies in his story as well as very suspicious behavior. Angel Downs family insists she was not suicidal in case that becomes a defense ploy. The DA says Mr. Nodine is the “one and only suspect.”

Mobile County Commissioner Stephen Nodine seems to have had a checkered and colorful past. He’s known as a pot smoking, pill popping, womanizer with a history of domestic violence and now the lone suspect in a murder..

Nodine is accused of multiple misuses of funds and misuse of a county vehicle. The Grand Jury impeached and arrested him, though he’s currently out on bail. His wife filed for divorce the day after he was arrested. Has he been getting special treatment? Many say he has and has to STOP!!

How did he get away with loosing a county truck, escaped domestic violence charges, a D.U.I. related wreck in New Orleans and purchased 2500 pain pills without any of it reported in the press. Seems many knew about his escapades but did nothing to stop him.

Now Angel Downs is dead. I hope those who looked the other way find their conscience and come forward with any and all information they possess. The irony is this man actually ran on family values?

Nodine, a surprise visitor at a recent prayer group asked for a prayer which was led by current DA John Tyson Jr, The episode stunned the group, the pastor said. "We were in disbelief at what had just happened,". Nodine says "God will God will show the way and have mercy on everyone.”

Murder and politic’s shouldn’t mix but there’s a DA race going on right now with Nodine’s Atty Mark Erwin running against Ashly Rich.  Rich says about her opponent "His real job for the past 5 years has been working as a lawyer for Steve Nodine at the Mobile County Commission where last year alone he was paid over $250,000." Erwin went to Nodine’s house the day after Angel Downs was murdered to remove 2 guns ostensibly out of concern for his family and Nodine.

Evidence includes blood, bullets and maybe even surveillance video. I’m not the only one in Mobile asking, “Why hasn’t he been arrested for murder?” I’m praying for justice for Angel Dow

Read Articles and documents in on going case LINK

Murder #2
  Just 2 days later on May 11th, Tuesday night about 7pm my granddaughter ran to tell me to turn on the TV and the house alarm. Her eyes were wide and scared, “a man just shot his wife in front of 4 kids and he’s on the loose.”

Wendy Sue Stevens age 36 - murdered May 11, 2010

Mother shot to death in front of children
  Wendy Sue Stevens was hunted and shot multiple times by her estranged husband Michael Berry while she sat at an ATM at 6:45pm on May 11, 2010. In the car were her 4 children ages 3 to 13. There were witnesses who said they couldn’t believe what they had seen. The husband then fled and alluded police for several days. When Police caught him a few hundred yards from the scene of the crime, they immediately arrested him and charged him with murder. He was seen that night on TV smart mouthing the cameras. He showed no remorse and pled not guilty to capital murder.

Wendy did everything an abused woman is supposed to do. Michael Berry was arrested twice for violating the protection from abuse order. District Attorney John Tyson Jr said Wendy’s mother had also been threatened by Berry.

Wendy’s only escape was through death. Apparently her life was torture for more than 10 years. The DA's office states they intend to pursue the death penalty.

Ginger, her 11 yr old daughter told LOCAL 15 News that her mother is in a better place. "I'm trying to be happy and know that she's not in pain anymore."Obit.

In both these cases the women were victims only because they were women and vulnerable to abusive partners. It appears that Mr. Berry’s case is being pursued with all diligence we certainly hope that Angel Downs murderer receives the same level of justice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page