April 27, 2024, 04:53:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying Your Freedom in America? How much?  (Read 1171 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: November 23, 2014, 04:20:39 AM »

I was astounded to find out that in the past, slaves could buy their freedom.

What price you might ask?  One person valued at $120, paid off his freedom at the rate of $8 dollars a month.  Buy your freedom in just 15 months?  That's less than many mortgages and car payments.

"Slave quarters to be rebuilt at Madison's Va. home"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-2816915/Slave-quarters-rebuilt-Madisons-Va-home.html#ixzz3JsmloOfV

I think the slave quarters were to show life in a time when someone owned a human being 100%, and the slave didn't keep the fruit of their labor.  It mentions that a Paul Jennings was able to purchase his freedom.  What did purchasing your freedom mean?  I've been told you got to keep 100% of your labor.  If you didn't work, you didn't eat.  That simple.

Wow.  How many years does an American have to work to buy their freedom?  The ability to keep 100% of their labor?  I've never seen a price or formula any where.  I've never known or heard of anyone living and being able to buy their freedom.  I have heard of people (politicians, wealthy, labor leaders, progressives) who think labor should be taxed at like 90% at the federal level. 

How does anyone save to buy their freedom today?  Buy the freedom of their children? 

What you say?  Some people pay very little taxes?  Get more than they pay in?  Wow.  Why doesn't everyone get to participate?  How do they keep that system going?  Vote for progressives and Democrats?

What of the people who will never be able to buy their freedom?   If you can buy your freedom were you really in slavery?

In the founders day people could buy their freedom and free blacks in Washington outnumbered slaves.  What kind of horror do we live in today when people can never buy their freedom?  Keep 100% of the fruit of their labor?

Just my humble opinions.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.