March 29, 2024, 07:42:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steven Fantina's Word of the Day  (Read 4792 times)
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« on: January 29, 2007, 06:29:41 PM »

The Word of the Day for Monday January 29, 2007 is GILRAVAGE (gil rav ij)--riotous or uproarious behavior, to feast or make merry boisterously, or to gad about.

Football fans in either Indianapolis or Chicago will be gilravaging royally next week after their team wins the Super Bowl.

The first and worst of all frauds is to cheat one's self.--Pearl Bailey

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 08:43:25 AM »

The Word of the Day for Tuesday January 30, 2007 is EPIDEMIOLOGY (ep i dee mee ol a jee)--the branch of medicine dedicated to widespread diseases and detecting the source of such epidemics. EPIDEMIOLOGICAL is the adjective form, and EPIDEMIOLOGIST means one who engages in these kinds of studies.

Recent statements by  Pat Robertson, John Kerry, Jimmy Carter, Michael Richards, and Mel Gibson, (among others) have epidemiologists investigating the alarming outbreak of “foot-in-mouth” disease among those in the public eye.

Work as if you were to live 100 years; pray as if you were to die tomorrow.--Benjamin Franklin

sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 09:16:42 PM »

Thanks justinsmama!

Nice proverbs, too  Cool

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 03:20:28 PM »

Quote from: "sharon"
Thanks justinsmama!

Nice proverbs, too  Cool

You are welcome!

The Word of the Day for Wednesday January 31, 2007 is SOIRÉE (swa ray)--an evening party or social gathering. It can also be written without the accent, SOIREE.  (Haven't we all at one time looked in a dictionary for SWARAY?)

Everyone was mortified at the soirée feting the Ambassador from Austria when some nincompoop walked up to the guest of honor and asked—dead seriously—“so which continent is Australia on anyway—Europe or Africa?”

Confidence is contagious. So is lack of confidence.--Michael O'Brien

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 05:57:57 PM »

The Word of the Day for Thursday February 1, 2007 is WERGILD (wur gild)--the sum fixed as compensation for the murder or disabling of a person based on rank, or money paid to relatives of a murder victim to compensate for the loss and/or to prevent a blood feud. It can also be spelled WERGELD or WEREGILD.

O.J. Simpson may have gotten away with murder, but he was hit with a hefty wergild in the civil trial legally proving his obvious guilt beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Conceit spoils the finest genius.--Louisa May Alcott

Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 06:04:29 PM »

justinsmama  I so enjoy reading these words of the day.   So far the only one I knew was soiree  Laughing
Please keep bringing these to us each day as it is never too late to learn something new.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
sharon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 09:46:31 PM »

Quote from: "Tibrogargan"
justinsmama  I so enjoy reading these words of the day.   So far the only one I knew was soiree  Laughing
Please keep bringing these to us each day as it is never too late to learn something new.

Me too!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has!" Margaret Mead
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 12:58:40 AM »

Word of the Day

The Word of the Day for Friday February 2, 2007 is PARABOLIC (par a bol ik)--relating to or serving as a parable or relating to a PARABOLA, which is a complex geometric shape. Note the spelling shift in the first meaning. PARABOLICAL is a synonym, and PARABOLICALISM is the applicable noun form.

The parabolic wisdom found throughout Aesop's fables is as pertinent today as it was in ancient times when the fabled storyteller concocted them.

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 09:36:25 PM »

The Word of the Day for Monday February 5, 2007 is DRUTHERS (druth ers)--an individual's own choice, preference, favorite, etc.

You’ve got to hand it to cats: how many other creatures when left to their druthers can spend approximately 22 hours a day sleeping and have someone wait on them hand and foot during their brief waking periods?

All progress is precarious, and the solution of one problem brings us face to face with another problem.
--Martin Luther King, Jr.

The Word of the Day for Tuesday February 6, 2007 is VISCOUNT (vi kount)--a nobleman ranked above a baron but below an earl, a sheriff in England, and historically it means the deputy to an earl or count. VISCOUNTESS means a woman of such rank or the wife or widow of such a nobleman. VISCOUNTCY means the rank itself, and VISCOUNTY is a synonym of VISCOUNTCY that also means the jurisdiction or territory under a person of such rank.

The upper echelons of nobility usually get the glamorous assignments leaving viscounts and viscountesses to perform less desirable work like officiating at the opening of a new sewer plant or unveiling a statue of Camilla Parker Bowles.  (They should “veil” the real McCoy and her husband too while they are at it!)

What the world really needs is more love and less paper work.--Pearl Bailey

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 11:14:13 PM »

Justins,

You are so brilliantly creative to begin this thread. I love it. I look forward to reading the Word of the Day everyday.

Love You,
Louise

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 08:47:03 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Justins,

You are so brilliantly creative to begin this thread. I love it. I look forward to reading the Word of the Day everyday.

Love You,
Louise

Thank you!

The Word of the Day for Wednesday February 7, 2007 is APLOMB (a plom or a plum)--poise, self-assurance, composure despite difficult external factors, or the vertical or perpendicular position.

Years ago David Niven’s aplomb was severely tested--yet remained unshaken--when a streaker ran across the stage in the middle of his acceptance speech after receiving the lifetime achievement Oscar at the Academy Awards.

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first. --Ronald Reagan whose birthday WOTD neglected to commemorate yesterday.

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 08:49:07 PM »

The Word of the Day for Thursday February 8, 2007 is FISTULOUS (fis choo les)--tubular, similar to a tube, containing tubes, or tube-like parts, or relating to a FISTULA which is a surgically created or diseased passageway in the body or a similar inflammation. FISTULATE and FISTULAR are synonyms for FISTULOUS.

The sculpture garden installed numerous arrows and signs along its fistular pathways because so many patrons were getting lost.

Difficulty, my brethren, is the nurse of greatness.--William C. Bryant

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.