April 17, 2024, 11:45:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Food Stamps and Illegal Immigration - A relationship?  (Read 4727 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: May 27, 2010, 08:54:11 PM »

There was an interesting article -

Obama's America: Food Stamp Spending Bonanza

The U.S. is now spending more on food assistance than at any time in its history, sparking a debate over whether the roughly 40 million people now receiving the latest version of food stamps at a cost of $73 billion a year are a symptom of a weak economy or are part of a long-term expansion in welfare and related programs.

Food stamp supporters say the record-high spending is simply a reflection of the economic downturn over the last two years.

"The program is expanding because we are realizing a significant downturn in the economy," said Ambassador Eric Bost, who ran the food stamps program in the first years under President George W. Bush. "The food stamp or the SNAP program, as it's referred to now, responds to the changing economic conditions of the country."

"Unemployment is the worst it's been in over 30 years," added Sheila Zedlewski, an expert on poverty policy at the left-leaning Urban Institute. "The poverty rate is rising. Some people project it will be 15 percent. That would be the highest it has been since the 1960's."

More here - http://www.thefoxnation.com/culture/2010/05/27/obamas-america-food-stamp-spending-bonanza

How many illegal aliens are receiving food stamp/SNAP benefits?

How soon after arrival, do illegal aliens start getting public benefits?

Will food stamps continue to rise as the number of illegal aliens increases?

Same with healthcare costs and the uninsured/uncompensated care in the ER?

What if the tsunami of humanity was just stopped at the border and returned?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 03:38:13 PM »

WhiskeyGirl - I take it you don't live in one of the southern border states?

Healthcare:

Many of the not for profit hospitals (Catholic/Methodist/Adventist) have the policy that they will not turn anyone away for any reason and THEY WILL NOT ASK if someone legal to be in the US.  This has been a HUGE problem for a long time.  It bankrupts the hospitals and crowds the emergency rooms.   This could happen on day one of crossing illegally into the US.

Auto Insurance:

Most illegals that drive do not carry the required auto insurance so the rest of us have to pick up the slack by paying an uninsured motorist fee.

Welfare and Food Stamps:

It is my understanding that ILLEGAL immigrants are not eligible for welfare and I believe that would include food stamps as well.  Now, if one member of the family IS legal then I suppose they could be getting/sharing them that way.  If there is a way around the system, people will find it.

I'm about as liberal as they get but what part of ILLEGAL don't people get?  I have no problem with LEGAL immigrants, it's people that break the law and suck off our system that I dislike.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 05:36:04 PM »

Healthcare:

Many of the not for profit hospitals (Catholic/Methodist/Adventist) have the policy that they will not turn anyone away for any reason and THEY WILL NOT ASK if someone legal to be in the US.  This has been a HUGE problem for a long time.  It bankrupts the hospitals and crowds the emergency rooms.   This could happen on day one of crossing illegally into the US.

Auto Insurance:

Most illegals that drive do not carry the required auto insurance so the rest of us have to pick up the slack by paying an uninsured motorist fee.

Welfare and Food Stamps:

It is my understanding that ILLEGAL immigrants are not eligible for welfare and I believe that would include food stamps as well.  Now, if one member of the family IS legal then I suppose they could be getting/sharing them that way.  If there is a way around the system, people will find it.

I'm about as liberal as they get but what part of ILLEGAL don't people get?  I have no problem with LEGAL immigrants, it's people that break the law and suck off our system that I dislike.

My elderly mother's car was hit while parked legally on a street in her town by a woman that was in this country illegally  ddriving a car with no license and no insurance.  My mother had a license and insurance, and also had uninsured motorist insurance she pays extra for.  Mom was wasn't even driving her car when it was hit.  The woman that hit Mom's car was issued a citation, but left the country before taking care of it.  My mother had to pay the deductible on her insurance before the company would fix it.  She was told she could sue the woman that hit her in small claims court.  Sure.  If she could FIND her!!  And then what could she do even if she could find her and got a judgment?  It's just wrong.  No accountability for this person that came to the U.S. illegally, was driving without a license, without insurance and damaged someone's vehicle and never paid a dime for it, leaving an elderly citizen who had done nothing wrong paying higher insurance premiums, paying a deductible and doing without her car until it was repaired all the while the person that wasn't even supposed to be here, skipping on out of the responsibility.  This is just wrong.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 09:04:31 AM »

I live in Wisconsin.

Welfare programs vary from state to state.  In Wisconsin, qualification is very lax/liberal.

In Wisconsin, for example, there are programs in which an entire family is eligible for a specific benefit, like Medicaid, if ONE member qualifies.  So, if the one legal/anchor member is qualified, the rest of the family qualifies too.

In Wisconsin, food stamps/SNAP is based on income only, no asset test.  So, folks with lots of assets and no reportable income may qualify.

Illegal aliens are eligible for WIC.

If illegals are working, how does any state verify their income/lack of income if they have a false Social Security number or no number?  I believe these things are linked to IRS files, so illegals are not booted off like citizens and those here legally.

I have family that have been hit by illegal aliens from Mexico and these folks didn't know their names, gave multiple names, birth dates and addresses.  So, my sister's insurance company paid the bill.

Healthcare:

Many of the not for profit hospitals (Catholic/Methodist/Adventist) have the policy that they will not turn anyone away for any reason and THEY WILL NOT ASK if someone legal to be in the US.  This has been a HUGE problem for a long time.  It bankrupts the hospitals and crowds the emergency rooms.   This could happen on day one of crossing illegally into the US.

Auto Insurance:

Welfare and Food Stamps:

Wisconsin, being very liberal, has budget problems and DOES HAVE  a Medicaid program that covers those here illegally.

"Emergency Services Plan only covers medical services needed for the treatment of an emergency medical condition for documented and undocumented non-citizens."

http://dhs.wi.gov/medicaid/

How much do illegals using the ER for regular care cost the system?

My problem with Obamacare is that, from what I recall, those eligible for state Medicaid programs are automatically eligible for Obamacare and free affordability credits.

So, how many illegals will transfer to Obamacare?

I believe all hospitals, including those that are for profit, have to treat emergencies, regardless of ability to pay.

Why should foreigners decides how many can come to the US?  Why should Mexico decide how many should come illegally and then become legal?

Why isn't Obama doing more to protect our status as a sovereign nation?

Calderon and rulers of other nations protect their borders, why isn't Obama protecting ours?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 03:47:31 PM »

In contrast..This is what happens in Mexico..

When the driver in a car accident in Mexico can not immediately prove the ability to pay for damages caused, Mexican law prescribes the driver be incarcerated and the vehicle impounded. Under no circumstances is it wise to drive in Mexico without Liability insurance provided by a Mexican insurance company that is authorized by Mexico's National Insurance Commission.

If you really want to make it fun try not having insurance and get into a car wreck in Mexico AND NOT being a legal Mexican National with no passport or paperwork allowing you to be in Mexico " an illegal person in Mexico"
 After they beat and rob you or worse.. They will put you in the worst prison you have ever seen in your life.. You will eat rice and beans and live in a shack in a open field if lucky.
If you are a male your name will be changed to Maria as you will be married to the guy who has the shack..
It will take a LONG time to get you out of that situation, American or not.
The legal bureaucracy is unbelievable..
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 05:04:34 PM »

In contrast..This is what happens in Mexico..

When the driver in a car accident in Mexico can not immediately prove the ability to pay for damages caused, Mexican law prescribes the driver be incarcerated and the vehicle impounded. Under no circumstances is it wise to drive in Mexico without Liability insurance provided by a Mexican insurance company that is authorized by Mexico's National Insurance Commission.

If you really want to make it fun try not having insurance and get into a car wreck in Mexico AND NOT being a legal Mexican National with no passport or paperwork allowing you to be in Mexico " an illegal person in Mexico"
 After they beat and rob you or worse.. They will put you in the worst prison you have ever seen in your life.. You will eat rice and beans and live in a shack in a open field if lucky.
If you are a male your name will be changed to Maria as you will be married to the guy who has the shack..
It will take a LONG time to get you out of that situation, American or not.
The legal bureaucracy is unbelievable..

Here's what I wonder -

Is the Obama recovery being fueled by false economic activity?  As welfare increases, does the spending cause activity?

For every dollar spent on welfare, it causes may $.05 in economic activity like factory orders?

Is the increase in illegal immigration tied to increases in monetary transfers to Mexico and other SA countries?

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 12:52:12 PM »

You load 16 tons and what do you get ? another day older and deeper in debt.

Tennessee Ernie Ford

What they are doing is creating a Utopia that ends up in a communist type system generations from now worldwide.
When this generation has passed the next generation of populace on Earth will be born into and educated to accept then live within and die under their rule.

Those that are Rich today believe that THEY control the world and will be safe from this.

Historically this is false hope because of the greed factor, but what they believe is true at the moment because they believe it and so do YOU.

They can because they think they can.
Virgil
Roman epic poet (70 BC - 19 BC)

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.